Monday, May 6, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 61

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #61

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 61: What Lies Beyond the Door (2) 

 

 

 

 ——I woke up with a start. When I looked around, I saw that it was a battlefield.

 

 In the hall of the Western-style house, the cards of each of masters were fighting to protect us who collapsed.

 

 The opponents in the battle appeared to be several goats. I was slightly unsure because they were far from the goats I knew.

 

 Their roughly two-meter-high bodies were devoid of any body hair, revealing black skin, and their lower bodies had countless tentacles that looked like the roots of a plant. The reason why I thought they were goat monsters was because they had mouths all over their upper bodies and were making "Mee~h! Mee~h!" voices in high pitches.

 

 It was eerie to see such blasphemous creatures with such an inviting scent of sweet honey in the air.

 

This is .......

 

"Have you finally woken up? Took you so long."

 

 Renge noticed me waking up and said with a grin.

 

"But, well, I'll forgive you for waking up properly.

 

"But, since you woke up properly, I'll forgive you."

 

"Was I ...... out cold?"

 

 I shook my Teacher who was lying next to me to wake him up, but there was no sign of him waking up.

 

Is it an abnormal status......? But the barrier should prevent any abnormal status to be applied to the master.......

 

"Perhaps that's the gimmick. The wolf attacks the master's psyche, and the little goats attack the cards. ......That's how the roles are divided, isn't it? Anyway, it's time to link up. It's hard to coordinate and it's tiring."

 

 Renge said as she unleashed her magic towards a goat.

 

 That was when I finally realized that the Link with the cards had been broken. My cards on the field were Renge, Yuki, and her subordinates, the Lycanthropes. Anna and the others also only had the cards they had summoned just before.

 

 I hurriedly reconnected the Links and summoned the rest of my cards. ......It seemed that the summoning limit itself had been increased after all. Also, the badge and distress signal were disconnected. Looked like the call from Akira-san was just a hallucination..... Anna and the others could not help in this state.

 

 After checking various things, I asked Renge a question,

 

I thought the barrier would prevent any abnormalities to the master?

 

It's not an abnormal status. That's the 'rule'. Card barriers are also part of the rules after all. You can't invalidate the rules.

 

Rules, huh?

 

 I hear that from the C-rank dungeon, there will be a kind of field effects..... or rules added to the floors.

 

 For example, strengthening a specific race, making it impossible to use recovery magic, reducing the limit on the number of summons or subordinates...... If this was one of those rules, it was no wonder that the barrier does not block it.

 

 The Pied Piper of Hamelin did not use such tricks because he did not have such abilities...... or because he was manifested in an F-rank dungeon.

 

And perhaps the purpose of this gimmick that separates the master from the card is...

 

 I looked around the place.

 

 As expected, the masters' cards were not moving well. Their Links had been severed.

 

 You might think it's natural since they are unconscious, but professional adventurers are able to keep the Link connection even while they are sleeping. Even if Anna and Oribe cannot do this, my Teacher should be able to.

 

 In other words, this was a gimmick aimed to cut off the Link between the masters and the cards.

 

 Since I was the only one awake while Teacher and the others were still unconscious, I guess the trap was set for each person independently.

 

 But .......

 

Why isn't the Teacher awake yet? If it's Teacher...... and Anna too, they must have some knowledge of the Irregular Encounters of The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats.

 

 While providing assistance to my cards with the Link, I asked Renge.

 

 The written test to become a professional adventurer requires not only knowledge of the legal system, but also knowledge of monsters. This includes, of course, knowledge of Irregular Encounters.

 

 If this was the case, then Teacher and Anna must know about this gimmick as well.

 

I don't know. Either they were trapped because they half-knew about it, or they missed one-half of it......

 

What do you mean?

 

If all you know is the information from the fairy tale, you're right to open the door. If you know it's a gimmick, on the other hand, the right thing to do is not to open the door. And if you know both, it is a trap where you have to guess for one-half. Maybe it's a trap that changes depending on the opponent's knowledge......"

 

A trap that changes depending on your opponent's knowledge, something like that...

 

No, if you think about it, a skill that has a widely widespread application of strategy, like the riddle of the Sphinx, which varies in its questions. If the purpose of the skill is to test the wisdom and courage of the opponent, it is no surprise that they have tricks to thwart the solution with knowledge.

 

So, what do I have to do to wake up Teacher and the others?

 

Give up for now. If they haven't woken up yet, it probably means they missed the answer. They probably won't wake up until this enemy is defeated.

 

 When Renge said that, I could feel a sense of shame, or perhaps a slight sense of guilt, through the Link.

 

 It was probably because..... there was no guarantee that Anna and the others will wake up even if we defeat this Irregular Encounter.

 

 The boys and girls who were turned into old men by Urashima Taro, who once appeared, were never restored to their former state even after the Urashima Taro was defeated.

 

 Some of the damage caused by Irregular Encounters may leave aftereffects.

 

 But for now, I have no choice but to fight, believing that Anna and the others will wake up if we defeat this enemy.

 

 That was probably why Renge did not say so.

 

 Then a thought occurred to me.

 

Could it be that I'm still in a hallucination?

 

 To my words, Renge replied with a look of disbelief,

 

If you're still sleepwalking, how about I give you a slap to wake you up?

 

I'm just kidding.

 

Ah, this is the real Renge.

 

 It would be troublesome if I am asked to provide evidence, but I was confident.

 

If that's the case, there's no need to hesitate.

 

 I just had to concentrate on defeating the enemy in front of me.

 

From the looks of it, each one is not that strong.....

 

 The goats moved quickly, they crawled on the walls and ceilings with their tentacle legs like they were on the floor, and they seemed to have paralyzing poison in their claws and fangs, which made them quite troublesome, but their fighting power was C-rank.

 

Yeah, but ......

 

   When I looked beyond Renge's line of sight, I saw that my Teacher's Aradia1 was just about to defeat a goat monster. ...The face looked familiar. Perhaps a ranked-up from the witch I fought during the tournament.

 

 The goat monster, whose head had been pierced by a spear of rock by Aradia's magic, disappeared as if melting.

 

 But as if to replace it, a new goat monster soon appeared from the back of the building.

 

This is .......

 

As you can see, they keep coming up one after another, no matter how many we take down. Fortunately, it doesn't seem like there will be more than six of them...

 

......Six?

 

 Hearing Renge's words, I looked around.

 

I see..... these guys are the seven young goats!

So the reason there is one missing must be because it is hiding somewhere.

 

 Perhaps if we find that one, the goats will disappear...... or they won't be able to resurrect.

 

Where is it? Where could it be? Where did the seven young goats hide in the fairy tale?

 

 That was when my eyes caught sight of a big old clock.

 

Oh right! The clock! If we break this....!

 

 Reflexively, I was about to order Renge to destroy the standing clock - but then I stopped myself.

 

No, wait. Is that really the right thing to do?

 

 The reason I knew that the seventh goat was hiding in the big clock was because of the fairy tale.

 

 But in the earlier trap, that knowledge from the fairy tale was counterproductive.

 

 If I were to follow the flow, I would rather.......

 

The door, Yuki! Open the door!

 

!? Yes!

 

 Yuki was surprised at my sudden instruction, but immediately headed for the door.

 

 Then, the movements of the young goats clearly changed.

 

 As if in a panic, they attacked Yuki as she headed for the door.

 

 Yuki easily avoided them and kicked the door open.

 

 At that moment.

 

————Aooooooooooooooooooooooong! ! !

 

 The howl of a wolf echoed from far away.

 

 The young goats, hearing it, ran away to various places in the building as if they were spiders.

 

As expected! It's the role of the wolf to kill the young goats! Hence, we could not defeat them.

 

Then the role of the standing clock is......!

 

 I opened the front of the clock, and somehow it led to a meadow.

 

"Hey! Let's get out of here before the wolf comes! Carry your masters!"

 

 At the sound of my voice, each of the monster cards ran toward the clock carrying their masters on their backs.

 

 Then, at last, the wolf revealed itself.

 

"Gegyagyagyagyagyagya!"

 

 A wolf entered the building, its body much larger than the door, looking cramped and constricted.

 

 Its outline was obscured by reddish-black shadows, giving the impression of a child's crude scribble.

 

"Gihihihihihihihihihihihi!"

 

 The wolf looked at us and laughed. It was a malicious laughter that froze the viewer in their tracks.

 

 I turned to face the standing clock. There, my Teacher was about to pass through first.

 

Kuh...! No choice!

 

"Kuro! Shiro! You've got to stop him in his tracks!"

 

""Grrrrrr!""

 

 At my command, the two Lycanthropes growled and confronted the wolf.

 

 This should somehow buy us enough time to escape. I feel guilty for abandoning them, but only they, who were practically immortal, could be entrusted with this role.

 

 Teacher passed through, then Anna, and finally Oribe was about to pass...... when,

 

"Gyak!" "Gah!"

 

 The wolf, seeing us running away, shook off the Lycanthropes and came at us.

 

 The moment I saw its eyes, I understood what the enemy was trying to do.

 

Not good...! It wants to destroy the clock!

 

No other choice! I'll at least let Oribe pass through!

 

 When I made up my mind to do so, there was a shadow that stood up to the wolf.

 

"Ho-ho-ho-ho!"

 

 It was Oribe's Tsuchigumo card.

 

"I'll buy you some time here, so please run away!! It's too narrow for me to get through anyway! Don't worry about it!"

 

"I-I'm sorry! Thank you!"

 

"Take care of my master!

 

 With the voice of the Giant Spider at my back, I too pass through the escape route of the standing clock.

 

 Finally, Eliza also passed through, and just before the wolf's claws touched her, she managed to close the door of the standing clock, and the escape route vanished without a trace.

 

"Haaaaahhhh......."

 

 I managed to ...... escape. I let out a breath of relief.

 

 Oribe's Tsuchigumo...despite its creepy appearance, was a guy who can be looked up to.

 

But......

 

 I glanced around.

 

 We were apparently on top of a small hill. The setting sun was illuminating the low meadow. In the distance, I could see a large mansion.

 

 Had we been transported from there?

 

 That was when I heard grunts from my Teacher, Anna and Oribe. ...They have woken up!

 

"Teacher, Anna, Oribe!"

 

"Uh...... where is this place?"

 

 My Teacher asked me while slowly sitting up.

 

"This is outside the mansion. Teacher and the others were knocked unconscious by the Irregular Encounter trap."

 

"Ah...... I see. I made a mistake, huh......."

 

 My Teacher who heard my answer understood everything by that, and his face was downcast in frustration.

 

 Then, Oribe, who was gazing around, brought up an inquiry,

 

"Tsutchi? Senpai, where is Tsutchi?"

 

"...I'm sorry, Tsuchigumo stalled to let us escape.'

 

"I see....."

 

 Oribe hung her head as if dejected for a moment, but she quickly looked up and began trying out her badge, a request for rescue, and the magic card for emergency evacuation.

 

 This quick switching was as expected of her.

 

 As I was also trying out the cards for contacting the outside world and emergency evacuation to see if anything had changed since we left the mansion. Then My Teacher asked me a question while I tried to summon more cards,

 

"Maro. If this is outside the mansion and we escaped, does that mean you used the wolf to deal with the young goats?"

 

"Yes."

 

 When I nodded, Teacher put his hand on his chin and muttered,

 

“…In that case, it should be coming soon.”

 

"Coming? Is it the wolf?"

 

No........"

 

 Teacher shook his head.

 

"We were trapped by the wolf, and the fact that we woke up like this means that the wolf is dead. And in the fairy tale, killing the wolf is......"

 

———— Meeeeeeeeeeeeeh!

 

 A roar thundered through the air, shaking the very atmosphere.

 

Here comes the angry mother goat whose children were eaten…”

 

 A corner of the mansion blew away, and the upper half of a huge goat emerged from it.

 

 The mother goat, which looked several dozen times larger than her kids, was coming toward us with her seven kids in tow.

 

Shit, the young goats are safe after all...!”

 

 Even in the fairy tale, the young goats will be resurrected, but I even sacrificed Tsuchigumo and the Lycanthropes to invite the wolf in. ......Was it all for nothing, after all?

 

 I gritted my teeth, but Teacher said,

 

"No, Maro's choice was not wrong. If you break the standing clock and kill the seven young goats, the boss will be the wolf. If you invite the wolf in and make him eat the seven young goats, the boss will be the mother goat and the seven baby goats. Though the one that is easier to deal with as the boss is actually the wolf that has no cronies..."

 

"In such a case, we will be unconscious until the wolf is defeated, right? Well, if we had summoned all of our cards and were unconscious, that option might have been okay. But....."

 

"Each of us had only summoned two monster cards... Besides, they needed to protect the defenseless master, and considering things like cooperation, the total strength would have been higher if we woke up."

 

 I see. So the sacrifices of Tsuchigumo and the others were not in vain.

 

 Let's take a look at our forces.

 

 First, I had four C-rank cards with Renge, Eliza, Yuki, and Suzuka. Mea and Dragonet were two D-rank cards. Of these, Renge and Yuki effectively have B-rank class power.

 

 Next is Teacher, with seven C-rank cards... and one B-rank card, the Aradia. All of them were fully brought up to their growth limit, and all of them were mainstays.

 

 Next, Anna had three C-rank cards and five D-rank cards; the C-rank cards were Elf, Pegasus, and Dullahan, which were ranked-up versions of the members at the tournament. Although it may seem that Anna had a small number of C-rank cards for being the daughter of a company president, this was due to Anna's obsession with acquiring cards with money she earned herself. She is not averse to borrowing from her parents when it comes to magic items and the like, but when it comes to cards, she seems to have some sort of obsession with them.

 

 And then there was Oribe, who currently had only three D-rank cards, so we can't really expect much from her in terms of strength. The C-ranked Tsuchigumo was her main card after all. However, she had the strongest D-rank here, the Yomotsushikome2. Yomotsushikome could summon an unlimited number of D-ranked Yomigun3, so she could be expected to play the role of a defender.

 

"Let's split the team into two."

 

 Teacher quickly scanned each card and said,

 

"Team A will defeat the Mother Goat and Team B will hold back the seven Young Goats.

 Team A will be Maro and Jushichiya-san, and Team B will be me and Oribe-san. I'll also cover for team A if I can afford it. ......What do you think?"

 

Wouldn’t it be better if Teacher is in charge of the Mother Goat?”

 

 Teacher shook his head at my words.

 

"No, Maro or Anna-san may not be able to properly protect Oribe-san and Yomotsushikome until the Yomigun is able to suppress the seven Young Goats.

 'The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats' will most likely be a prolonged battle. Until Oribe-san's Yomotsushikome is able to control all seven Young Goats, I, who have the same number of C-rank cards as the Young Goats, should join her.

 As soon as she can manage all seven Young Goats with Yomotsushikome alone, I will join to deal with the Mother Goat."

 

 I see...... We nodded our heads--when...

 

“————Meeeeeeeeeeeeh!!”

 

 With an earth-shaking roar, the Mother Goat arrived.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats Part 1

 

 The attack of the Wolf and the Seven Young Goats is divided into three phases.

 

 In the first phase, adventurers are quarantined in a spiritual world and must choose whether or not to open the door.

 

 This is a riddle skill executed by the wolf, and the correct answer is dependent on the adventurer's knowledge. The adventurers must derive the correct answer not from knowledge, but from their own wits and intuition. The spiritual world is unique to each adventurer, and all companions and cards are fakes recreated from one's own memories. Three chances to answer are given, and if they fail, they will remain trapped in the spiritual world until someone kills the wolf.

 

 In the second phase, they are forced to overcome the seven immortal young goats.

 

 While the master is challenging the riddle skill in the spiritual world, the physical body is being attacked by the seven young goats. The cards must protect the master from the immortal young goats while the Link is broken until the adventurer awakens.

 

 Upon awakening, the adventurer now has two choices: break the standing clock or open the door.

 

 This choice will determine whether the enemy in the third phase will be the mother goat or the wolf.

 

 Furthermore, the cards are not given the right to answer this choice, and until the master awakens, the standing clock can never be destroyed and the door cannot be opened.

 

 As a consolation, only when all adventurers fail the riddle skill can both the mother goat and the wolf attack and move on to the third phase. Hell.

 

***

 



Notes:

Aradia was a name that appeared in a book called the Gospel of the Witches published in 1899. Its fifteen chapters portray the origins, beliefs, rituals, and spells of an Italian pagan witchcraft tradition. The central figure of that religion is the goddess Aradia, who came to Earth to teach the practice of witchcraft to peasants in order for them to oppose their feudal oppressors and the Roman Catholic Church.

The 'Ugly Woman of the Underworld’, remember?

Residents or army of the underworld

 




Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me