Monday, May 13, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 62

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #62

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 62: What Lies Beyond the Door (3)

 

 

 

"......S- she’s so huge."

 

 The huge body of the mother goat, when seen up close, had such a presence that just standing in front of her seemed as if she would crush you.

 

 She was roughly the size of a seven-story apartment building,  ......perhaps just under 20 meters.  But not just the height, she was also fat like a turnip and had a mass that rivaled that of an apartment building.

 

Due to her large size, she seemed to lack the agility of the young goats, but it should not be judged that her actual speed is slower just based on the difference in body size. Even though she looked slow, we had to move many times faster to avoid her. The fact that she was big was a threat in and of itself.

 

 In addition, unlike the hairless young goats, the mother goat was covered with tough-looking body hair all over her body. The mother goat's huge body and sturdy coat...... her defense and vitality are probably beyond those of the young goats.

 

"Yomiyomi, summon your subordinates."

 

 Oribe ordered Yomotsushikome to summon her subordinates. A black swamp spread out from under Yomotsushikome's feet.

 

 From within the swamp, countless arms sprouted, and one after another, dead men dressed in ancient war costumes appeared.

 

 This was Yomotsushikome's unique summoning of subordinates that made Yomotsushikome one of the strongest of the D ranks, the Yomi army / Yomigun.

 

 Normal subordinate summoning consisted of two possibilities: summoning one at a time without limit, like the Yomotsushikome, or summoning a finite number of subordinates all at once.

 

 And what Yomotsushikome summoned were D-rank monsters with inborn skills in martial arts, and Yomotsushikome had the skill to strengthen all the undead in the field.

 

 Despite being so capable, Yomotsushikome was the number one most unpopular card, said to be dismissed by almost all adventurers who acquired it.

 

""Hyuwowowowo......!""

 

 The summoned forces of Yomotsushikome attacked the seven young goats with eerie cries.

 

 The movements were so agile and coordinated that it was hard to believe that they were lower-level undead without ego, and they looked much stronger than the average ghoul, perhaps due to their martial arts skills.

 

 But, after all, they were only D-rank subordinate monsters. They were no match for the seven young goats, which had C-rank monsters combat power.

 

 The Yomigun were fearless in their charge, whether their arms were chopped off or their bodies pierced. But their attacks did not hit the goats, and they were beaten unilaterally.

 

 Between the annihilation speed done by the young goats and the summoning speed of the Yomigun, the annihilation speed was clearly superior.

 

 At this rate, it would not be long before the main head, Yomotsushikome, would be done in.

 

 --The story would be different if Teacher's cards were to provide support.

 

 By attacking one by one and concentrating on each one, Teacher's cards were sure to finish off the young goats.

 

 The defeated young goats immediately crawl out of the 7 large mouths on the mother goat's abdomen, but there is a gap of time before they are able to return to the battle line.

 

 In the meantime, the speed at which the Yomigun was summoned surpassed their decimation, and little by little, the number of the Yomigun was increasing.

 

 It seemed that the young goats could be left to them.

 

 On the other hand, there was not much progress with the mother goat.

 

Yuki, use improvisation to draw the enemy's attention! Make evasion your top priority and never take a single blow! Eliza, follow up on Yuki! If Yuki makes a mistake, cover her with [Shield of Devotion]! Mea, use Darkness and Mirage to blind it somehow! They probably won't pass as status ailment, but you can buy a moment until there's more damage! Attack magic team should also aim at the face as much as possible! We can blind it!

 

 While straddling the Dragonet and looking down on the battlefield from above, I sent out instructions via the Link in rapid succession.

 

 Below, explosions of flames, spears of lightning, and arrows like rain were constantly showering down on the mother goat, and it even looked festive.......

 

"... Tsk, I have no idea if it's working or not."

 

 The mother goat didn't seem to be suffering even after receiving a grand attack that would have sunk it long ago if it were the boss of a D-rank dungeon.

 

 The other party's body was so large that it felt like poking at a large tree with a cutter.

 

 Since the opponent's body was so large, its movements were easy to see, and so far we had not suffered much damage either, but it was easy to predict that the power of a single blow would be devastating.

 

 Even a C-rank card would probably suffer near-fatal damage if they were to receive even a single blow from a serious attack.

 

 Moreover, even though the movements were easy to grasp, there was a difference in reach due to the huge body. If you start moving even a little too late, you will not be able to evade the attack in time.

 

 No matter how much we attacked, it didn't seem to be working, and conversely, we must not take a single blow from the opponent's attack.

 

 Mentally, we were gradually being driven into a corner.

 

"......Fufufu, it looks like the time has finally come to use that."

 

 Just as I was racking my brains to figure out what to do, I suddenly heard Anna's implying line coming from the badge on my chest.

 

 The blatant pose made me feel like not inquiring for a moment, but I decided to at least give it a listen.

 

 I landed near Anna, who was standing on the ground, and asked her,

 

"...... Do you have a plan?"

 

"I thought something like this could happen...! I was training for combinations against strong opponents!"

 

 Anna explained with a twinkle in her eyes.

 

 Suppressing the urge to scoff and reply with "You just want to say how you thought something like this could happen, huh," I instead said,

 

"You're sure we have a chance of winning?”

 

"Of course! If it doesn't work, I'll give up my position as the club's leader!"

 

Okay, if you say that much!

 

Renge, [Spiritual recurrence]! The others, attack in full force and distract the mother goat!

 

 Renge transformed into Kisshouten, and the cards' attacks became even fiercer. Seeing this opening, Anna's cards left the front line and gathered in one place.

 

"Come on, my elites! Execute Operation α!"

 

 With a command, her cards began to move.

 

 The Elf straddled the Pegasus, and the Dullahan encased the Elf. In the blink of an eye, the three cards transformed their forms into the female knight of trinity.

 

 Furthermore, the remaining five D-rank cards also commence various supports to the Pegasus Knight.

 

"This is ......!"

 

 In front of my gawking eyes, the Pegasus Knight charged at the mother goat.

 

 It's fast! So fast that my eyes could only see the afterglow from the support skill. The female knight flew around the mother goat and pierced it with the lance in her hand.

 

 The scene was truly a starburst.

 

 In the blink of an eye, the mother goat screamed as her huge body was stained with blood.

 

"Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh!!"

 

Oh, it's effective! Is this going to work? ......Oh, no, that's not good!

 

 Glare! The mother goat glared at us. Something is coming......!

 

"Anna!" "Kya!"

 

 Before I could ponder on it, I grabbed her arm and pulled her up, soaring into the sky.

 

 At the same time, with tremendous momentum and a roaring sound, the mother goat passed where we had been just before.

 

 The momentum was like an express train. The wind pressure alone was enough to toss us around in the air like leaves from a tree.

 

 As I held Anna in my arms with all my might, all I could think about was an out of place thought that I was glad I had a saddle and safety belt attached to my Dragonet.

 

 Soon, when I got into a better position and looked down below, I saw that the entire hill we were standing on had been blown away, creating a brown path after the mother goat had gone by.

 

What power......

 

"Se- Senpai, you saved me......"

 

"Haa...... that was a close call. Oh, right, Teacher and others!"

 

 Safe, I see. It was fortunate that it was in the different direction from where Teacher and the others were.

 

 The mother goat, after having been rushing, did not move even a single bit. Is it the type where there is an interval after a big move?

 

 The Pegasus Knight launched an attack on the mother goat, which was still in a defenseless state.

 

 Perhaps out of anger at having their master targeted, the Pegasus Knight's offense was even more aggressive, so much so that it seemed as if they could win without waiting for reinforcements from Teacher and the others.

 

"Ho... how about that! Our signature special move!"

 

 Maybe to cover up the fear she had just felt, Anna was puffing out her chest despite her age. I replied with a wry smile, "Oh, it's impressive," when,

 

"Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh!!"

 

 The mother goat was wailing again and drowned it out.

 

 The scene just before her rush came back to my mind.

 

.....Don't tell me!

 

"Oh, no! Hold it back!"

 

"......Eh?!"

 

 The moment I issued that, a black veil descended centered on the mother goat.

 

As expected! That mother goat's scream was not a scream of pain, but a roar of rage before a great move.

 

 And suddenly, the cards were struck by abnormal status.

 

Guh?!

 

Dragonet?! What's wrong?!

 

This is......! My body is heavy?!

 

 I hurriedly landed Dragonet, which had lost its stability and became wobbly. The anomaly was not only with Dragonet, but all of my cards as well.

 

 ......No, Yuki was the only exception.

 

 It was no exception for Anna and her cards, and although the Pegasus Knight did not crash, it clearly lacked its finesse.

 

 There was no way the mother goat would have missed that opportunity, and her huge talons of steel swung down.

 

Tanya!”

 

 Anna shouted, and the Elf leaped off the Pegasus. Somehow they managed to avoid a direct hit, but the Elf and Dullahan fell to the ground. The Pegasus was cut deeply across its body, and Anna screamed at the sight of it.

 

"Noooo! Dungeonteo!"

 

 A beat later, the sound of a card being Lost rang out from Anna's chest.

 

"No, way...... such a skill......"

 

"Snap out of it! Prioritize your safe cards!"

 

"Tanya!"

 

 At my shout, Anna hurriedly tried to withdraw her cards. However, her movement was slow, as if her leg had been broken in the fall.

 

 Then, the mother goat's came to pursue. The goat's front foot, like a giant tree, was swung down.

 

Tanyaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

 

 Anna screamed.

 

 Looking at her like that, I turned,

 

"It's okay, we made it just in time."

 

 Ahead of my gaze, I saw the figure of an Elf being held by Yuki.

 

 The utsusemi1 technique was just in time.

 

"Ah......."

 

 Anna, perhaps relieved by this, slumped down.

 

 If she used the Link, she should have known that her cards were safe...... but it seemed that she was in such a state of panic that she didn't even realize it.

 

"But......"

 

What in the world is this gravity? The feeling that comes from the cards is that the body becomes heavy as if it had turned to stone. Moreover, it seems that the strength of the body is being sucked away, though little by little.

 

Yuki is the only one who is unaffected, probably due to the effect of [Little hero].......

 

......Stone, and absorption... Oh yeah! This is a reenactment of the bit about the wolf's belly being stuffed with stones!

 

 Just as I was getting an idea of the nature of the abnormal status attacking my cards, there was a new movement by the mother goat.

 

 Surprisingly, she grabbed one of the seven young goats and began to chomp down on it.

 

 As I was stunned by the mother goat's behavior of eating her own child, the wounds all over her body healed without a trace.

 

"Seriously....?"

 

 I couldn't help but whisper.

 

Fortunately, it doesn't seem like the eaten young goat will come back to life, but there are six more left. Does that mean we have to inflict serious damage six more times?

 

Not good. Even the magic power and stamina of cards are not infinite. If it became a long-term battle, we would be at a disadvantage.

 

 Cold sweat trickled down my chin.

 

This is the power of B-rank Irregular Encounters.......

 

......Oi, Utamaro.

 

 At that moment, Renge called via the Link.

 

What?

 

.........................

 

 In response to my question, Renge hesitated, which was unusual for her, and finally she said,

 

Can you, trust me? Without a shred of doubt?

 

What, do you mean?

 

..................

 

 Renge doesn't answer. I felt the presence of Suzuka and Yuki listening intently to our exchange.

 

 I don't know what she means by that, but,.......

 

Yeah, I believe in you

 

 I replied sincerely.

 

I see......

 

 Renge muttered quietly but happily,.......

 

Synchronize, Utamaro. Synchronize 100% with me.

 

Synchro? But......

 

With my current ability, even when I'm at my best, my limit is around the lower 80%.

 

 

And they say that no matter how skilled you are at Synchronization, 99% is the maximum you can achieve. It is not possible to completely reduce the barrier protecting the master to zero.

 

 Renge turned around, looked me straight in the eye, and said,

 

If it's us now, we'll be fine. --Trust me.

 

Okay.

 

 I nodded, meditated, and silently Synchronized with her.

 

 70, 80, 90.......

 

 The Synchronization rate increased so easily that I wondered why I hadn't been able to do it before.

 

 But then, at the very end of the 99%...... we hit a thin, solid wall.

 

"This is......."

 

 If I had to visualize it, I would say it was a door that was chained shut.

 

 When I touched it, my instincts told me that I should not open it.

 

 This was not something meant to block me, but to protect me from what lies beyond this door.

 

 However..... I let out a small chuckle.

 

 Today was a day that I had a strong relationship with doors. A door that the dead visited in my dream, a door to bring in the wolf to the Western mansion in reality, and finally, a door at the end of the Link.

 

 Then, is this a trap too?

 

 If today's events, or rather, everything that had happened since I was attacked by the Hound Master, had been arranged to make me open this door, then what lies beyond this door is......

 

“——Still, I believe in Renge.”

 

 The moment I said that, the chains shattered into pieces, I crossed the 99% barrier and ---- completely Synchronized with Renge.

 

 When I opened my eyes again, my vision had completely changed.

 

 I could see the paths to each and every possibility. The road of low possibilities was far away, and the road of high possibilities was near.

The possibilities were constantly fluctuating, and I could move closer or further away by weighing the luck and bad fortune on the scale.

 

 However, the amount of luck that one person has is limited, and there is no way to change the greater fate of the world.......

 

 I gazed upon the mother goat.

 

 There, I could clearly see the possible path to defeat the mother goat.

 

 If I could see the path to defeat it, it meant that I could also see her weaknesses and possible strategies.

 

 The shortest and best way to defeat the mother goat was to hit her weak point, her uterus, with maximum firepower.

 

 However, that path was long and narrow.

 

 The reason was our lack of firepower. With the cards in our hands at the moment, we could not get a shot through the mother goat's uterus.

 

 As a result, the most reliable method was to cut down the stock of young goats, but there was a possibility that someone here would die with a not-so-low probability.

 

 ----Kzzzt.

 

"Agghh......!"

 

 Then, with a terrible headache, the Synchronization with Renge was broken.

 

 ......Apparently, my current limit was to see the path of possibilities for a very short time.

 

 Renge, who also held her head down, asked,

 

Gh...... you see it?

 

Yeah .......

 

It looks like... we need to kill it with one shot at.

 

Yeah, but ......

 

There's not enough firepower...

 

 Even if I attacked with all my cards at once, I would not be able to get past the mother goat's defenses. If I combined the power of my Teacher's Anna's, and Oribe's cards, we might be able to do it, but in that case, our defenses would be insufficient and there was a good chance that one of the masters would die.

 

No, it should be possible. Hey, Suzuka!

 

 Renge assured me strongly and called out to Suzuka.

 

Don't sulk forever, just lend us your strength already! I know you really want to be a part of this camaraderie! You shady little bitch!

 

Wha?!

 

 Suzuka's face turned bright red up to her ears.

 

Wh- who is......!

 

Shut up! It's obvious from the sidelines! Don't be a pest on the outside, just tell us honestly that you want to be a part of this family!

 

Ah~, you said it.......

 

 Mea whispered while sounding astounded.

 

 ...Everyone was aware that Suzuka really wanted to be in everyone's circle, but she couldn't be honest and was pestering the others.

 

 However, if you invited her, she would just walk away like a petulant cat, so it was difficult to handle her.

 

 Still, everyone was waiting for Suzuka to get used to us... but it seemed like Renge had finally run out of patience.

 

You're fond of Utamaro too, don't you?!

 

......Agh, enough! I understand! That's why you positive people are so.....!

 

 Suzuka ruffled her hair and yelled.

 

 At that moment, Suzuka's card glowed. When I took it out, the name of the skill I expected was engraved on it. --[Friendship linkage].

 

I grinned. Finally, she is being honest.

 

 Renge transformed from Kisshouten to Kokuanten.

 

 Using a hoarse voice, Renge said,

 

Let's go ......! Yes, yes, .......

 

 Friendship linkage--"The Night of the End of the World2" x "So Cute that The Hatefulness is a Hundredfold3".

 

 Black rain poured down. The mother goat that was exposed to it ---- did not show any abnormalities, however.

 

 It was only natural. The reason was that this was a curse that did not directly cause harm, but merely lowered the mother goat's defense in every way possible.

 

 The one who delivered the crushing blow was.......

 

Yuki!

 

Yes, ......!

 

 Sync. I wonder if I got something out of the full Synchronization I just did. As expected, it was impossible to reach 99% or full Synchronization, but now it was easy to raise the percentage to the latter half of 90%.

 

Now the, let's go.

 

 --[Wolf Clothing]. Her body was transformed from that of a pretty girl into a werewolf.

 

 --[When The Moon is Full, It Follows]. For lycanthropes, whose fighting power increases with the waxing and waning of the moon, today, with the full moon, is the day when they can display their peak strength.

 

 --[Breakthrough of Limits]. Yuki's body exceeded its normal measurements and continues to expand.

 

 When she finished her transformation, there was a werewolf giant about 7 to 8 meters tall.

 

"Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!"

 

 --[Awakening of Instinct]. With a roar reminiscent of a lightning strike, the limiter of the muscles is removed and the body expands one more time.

 

 Yuki, who had unleashed her full potential, arched her back as if to draw back a bow.

 

"Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeehh!!"

 

 Then, the mother goat, as expected, felt a sense of agitation. She took a big breath in --- and exhaled a scorching hot breath that was like a laser beam. Yuki's current stance, in which she was focused solely on one blow, made it impossible for her to evade.

 

I won't let you.

 

 We had a reliable party protector. Eliza, who had come between Yuki and the mother goat, produced a white shield to take on the breath.

 

 [Shield of Devotion] was not a skill to prevent an enemy's attack. It was a skill that reduced that damage, while at the same time taking it upon herself to shoulder it.

 

 Eliza's entire body burned and white steam rose. New skin regrows from underneath, but it too quickly evaporates.

 

 It was a race to see if the mother goat's breath will push through or if the pool of blood she had stored would be enough to withstand the attack.

 

 Renge, the healer, was also stuck, as she could not afford to cancel [The Night of the End of the World].

 

 While her comrades looked on with a prayerful heart, - it was the mother goat who won the match.

 

Kh...... this is it, huh? The blood stock is almost gone. The bet is a failure.

 

 Just as I'm about to pull Eliza back to her card,

 

“——Arms.”

 

 With that voice, Eliza's body was wrapped in armor and various support effects poured down on her.

 

"Anna......!"

 

"Ahaha...... as the club leader, I should at least show a little bit of a nice face, you know?"

 

 Anna smiled weakly as she said this. Furthermore, a magic circle appeared at Eliza's feet, and her wounds begin to heal quickly.

 

"I'm sorry for being late in providing support. I'll send Aradia to you at least."

 

 My Teacher said through my badge.

 

 Eliza had completely recovered, thanks to the boost to her defenses from Dullahan's equipping and the blessing of Aradia, the guardian of the witches.

 

 No matter how long the breath lasts now, it will no longer be able to make her crumble.

 

 Eventually, the laser of breath gradually thinned out and ...... it ended.

 

 The mother goat was unable to move, probably due to the stress brought on by the breath.

 

 The goat mother's belly was exposed, unprotected.

 

 Then, a bullet named Yuki launched.

 

 The bullet made a big hole in the mother goat's abdomen, and snatched the Hound Master who was in her uterus.

 

“Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhh…!”

 

 The Irregular Encounter "The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats," deprived of its nucleus, began to collapse on itself in fragments.

 

 At the same time, the world that had been rewritten gradually returned to its original dungeon.

 

 While Anna and Oribe slumped weakly, I cautiously looked around to make sure there were no surprise attacks, and then I finally let out a sigh of relief.

 

 It's...... over, isn't it? It was an opponent more powerful than anything I'd ever seen before.... I didn't even feel a sense of accomplishment, just a sense of exhaustion.

 

...Master.

 

   Yuki, who was holding the Hound Master, came over. As if she had lost consciousness, she didn't move at all, and her chest was slowly rising and falling.

 

"Senpai, is this person... the Houndmaster?"

 

 Anna asked me with a half-doubting look on her face.

 

 The true appearance of the Hound Master that we saw for the first time right now was an ordinary young woman who bore no resemblance to the Saintess of the Star Mother Association. Her peaceful sleeping face was so innocent that it was hard to believe that she was a monster who had killed more than a hundred people.

 

"Senpai, Anna, look at this."

 

 When I heard Oribe's voice, I turned around and saw a card in her hand. I took it and looked at it. It was a card of The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats.

 

 The card gave off an unusual feeling, with only a picture book-like illustration on it.

 

Is this... an Irregular Encounter card...?

 

 And at that moment,

 

“Hey, what happened!?”

 

 Akira-san and the police officers came down from the stairs one after another.

 

 With the defeat of The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats, the isolation of the space must had been lifted and they were able to come in.

 

 If it were a normal Irregular Encounter, it would be possible to enter, but not to exit, but this time it seemed that you could neither enter nor exit.

 

"...You're late, Nee-san."

 

 We laughed bitterly at my Teacher who muttered this as if he was heaving a sigh.

 

 Thus, the seemingly long but short battle with the Hound Master came to an end.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats, Part 2

 

 The third phase will be a decisive battle with the enemy selected in the second phase.

 

 If the door is opened, after the young goats are eaten by the wolf, as in the fairy tale, the wolf is killed by the mother goat and dies. At this stage, the spirits of the masters trapped in the wolf's belly are awakened, but the mother goat and her seven immortal young goats will attack. The mother goat has an extremely high life force and is very strong, and she recovers all her energy by eating the young goats, so a long battle is inevitable. The only saving grace is that the young goat that was eaten will no longer be revived.

 

 If the large clock is destroyed, the seventh goat will be killed and the mother goat will not know that the wolf has attacked, and the young goats will remain in the wolf's belly and will not come out. The adventurers will have the last battle with the wolf. The wolf will continue to regenerate from all the goats it has eaten, but it will be easier to fight since there are no seven young goats around. Moreover, the wolf's life force is lower than that of the mother goat, and at first it is slow because of the weight of the young goats it has eaten. However, as you defeat it, it becomes lighter and more agile, so it gradually becomes more formidable.

 

 If all adventurers fail the Riddle skill in the first phase, both of these enemies will attack. The mother goat will be accompanied by the immortal young goats, and the wolf will be nimble from the start. It will be hell.

 

 To be noted, at the same rank, [The Pied Piper of Hamelin] is stronger than [The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats]. The strength of [The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats] as an irregular encounter is about in the middle to lower-middle range.

 

***




 Notes:

One of ninja arts: exchange oneself with an object.

Renge’s skill as Kokuanten: A rain of deadly poison and disease

Suzuka’s (a Hashihime) skill: Amplifies one's own negative emotions and converts them into magical power. Greatly increases the power of spells. The deeper the feelings towards the master and companions, the better the output will be.

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me