Monday, May 27, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 64

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #64

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

Translator(s) note: This is the start of Volume 3~ Enjoy~

 

 

 

Episode 64: The Principal's Summer Speech is Murderous

 

 

 

 ─If I may use an analogy, it was similar to a hazy dream that you have while in a slumber.

 

 I was floundering in the darkness, and countless paths of possibilities spread out before me. And countless windows(visions) were appearing along the way.

 

 The path of the closer possibilities was thicker, and its visions were clearer. But the path of distant possibilities was narrow, and its visions were hazy and difficult to see. Not only that, some of the path was even broken in some places.

 

 The fact that the path was broken meant that I currently could not reach the possibility.

 

 The paths of possibilities were indeed connected when I saw them the other day, and conversely, some of the paths were connected today.

 

 It meant that a person's destiny fluctuates according to the rotation of the stars (signs) each day.

 

 This was not something that could be controlled by the efforts of the individual.

 

 No matter how a person attempts to paddle, he or she cannot reach the possibility where the path is broken, and even if the path is open, it is up to 'luck' whether or not he or she will be able to walk along the path.

 

 But - now I could draw the best result by seeing the path of possibilities, and even connect the broken path by consuming 'luck' to make up for the hole.

 

 But that doesn't mean that I can do everything the way I want.

 

 The amount of 'good luck' that each person has is limited. If you avoid all the hardships and take the easy way out, you will soon run out of 'good luck'. And you will never be able to walk through a 'possibility that does not exist'.

 

 Simply put, no matter how much 'luck' I expend, I will never be able to become the next Emperor.

 

 Moreover.......

 

……………………

 

 I strained my eyes to see beyond the farthest path.

 

 But no matter how hard I stared, I couldn't see beyond a certain point into the future.

 

 Basically, the further in the future an event is, the more it branches out and becomes unstable.

 

 I understand that the farther into the future, the more difficult it is to see, but what I am concerned about is the fact that the path a few months or so ahead of me is completely covered in darkness, and I can not see anything.

 

 At first, I thought that was the limit of my ability to see into the future, but after testing this power several times, I realized that it was different.

 

 For example, if I can see a week into the future, then I will be able to one day further after another day has passed.

 

 However, this darkness did not get further away as each day passed; on the contrary, it got closer and closer day by day.

 

Could this mean 'my death'.......

 

 I had thought so and consulted with Renge, but she said that if I was going to die, she would clearly see the possibility of it, so apparently not.

 

So what is this darkness......?

 

 I strained my eyes even more, trying to determine what the nature of the darkness was.

 

 ----*Zukin!*

 

"......Ggh!"

 

 There, I got a severe headache and lost control of my ability.

 

 I felt my consciousness rapidly surfacing.

 

 Ha! When I opened my eyes, I was on the bed in my room.

 

 I could hear the incessant chirping of cicadas from the open window.

 

 I was drenched in sweat, and my T-shirt felt heavy, and it felt as if water had been poured over my head.

 

 As I lifted my heavy body, I suddenly felt a hot sensation through my nose. I hurriedly covered it with my hand, and a red substance dripped down.

 

Oh no! My nose is bleeding again!

 

"Here."

 

 Then, a box of tissues was quickly offered to me.

 

"Oh, thanks!"

 

 I quickly took a few tissues from the box and held them to my nose, then looked at the owner of the hand. There was a dark-haired girl wearing an ill-fitting man's T-shirt and cargo pants, sitting on a chair with a manga in her hand.

 

 The girl, with a face like a doll, looked at me with her well-shaped eyebrows furrowed in disapproval.

 

"...... Seriously, is there really any need to get a nosebleed every day?"

 

 I answered her with a slightly embarrassed look on my face,

 

"It can't be helped, right? This 'Perfect Link' ability will be our trump card in case of emergencies. We should train ourselves to be able to use it at any time."

 

 --Perfect Link.

 

 That was what I call this new power that was awakened in our battle with The Wolf and The Seven Young Goats.

 

 This Perfect Link was a unique Link that even my Teacher does not know exists, and that I have discovered.

 

 Perhaps the Self-Defense Forces had already discovered it and given it an official name. However, since this information had not been made available to adventurers, I, as one who had found it, had no choice but to give it a name of my own.

 

 These Links, discovered and developed by individual adventurers themselves, are called 'Personal Links'.

 

 It was said that most of the Personal Links had already been discovered by the military, but it was also said that some of them had not even been discovered by the national government.

 

 Therefore, a Personal Link can be called a trump card for adventurers who can use it, and in fact, 'this' Perfect Link had the proper power to be called such a trump card.

 

 However.....

 

"You, do you really get it? It's not just bleeding. If it can't be cured with potions or recovery magic, that means it's a burden on the soul itself..."

 

 Renge looked intently at me, glaring with her hands on her hips. I quickly averted my eyes and fell silent.

 

 This Perfect Link could be a trump card for me, but there also exists a risk associated with its power.

 

 Perfect Link was a Link that exceeded the generally accepted limit of Synchro Link (99% synchronization rate) and completely overlaid your card with your soul.

 

 This makes it possible to draw out latent abilities that even the card itself did not know, but on the other hand, it places a tremendous burden on the master's soul.

 

 The fragile human soul cannot withstand the contact with spiritually superior souls such as gods and demons.

 

 Therefore, there was a danger that with each use of the Perfect Link, the master's soul would gradually be damaged, gradually engulfed by the card, and eventually become a living corpse.

 

"......Still, the practice is paying off. The duration of the Perfect Link has increased, and I've learned more about your abilities. Besides, the wounds in my soul can be healed by [Rain of Amrita], right?"

 

 As a result of continuing to practice Perfect Link every day for the past month, something like the essence of Renge's ability had begun to become clear to me as well.

 

 There are three primary abilities related to Renge's luck.

 

 The first ability is the constant 'Increase in Good Luck'.

 

 Assuming that a person's good luck and bad luck are balanced in the long run, changing in the positive and negative, Renge's blessing allows me to always stay a little bit in the positive. This allows me to have a higher drop rate than other adventurers without having to do anything.

 

 The second ability is 'Good Luck Savings'.

 

 By deliberately withholding good luck that was supposed to happen, I can make greater good luck. With this, it is possible to accumulate and store up small daily good luck... and then releasing it all at once to attract big good luck, which can be called a miracle. Alternatively, it can also make a great misfortune disappear by counteracting it with good luck.

 

 There are no disadvantages to these two abilities. It is like the blessing of Renge, the deity of good fortune.

 

 But .......

 

"The risk isn't just about the damage to your soul. Rather, it is the distortion of the law of causality that is the problem."

 

 The third ability - 'Manipulation of Fate'. Unlike the first two abilities, which have no risk, this ability can be considered a double-edged sword.

 

 This ability, which can be used only when Perfect Link is used, is a more advanced version of the second ability.

 

 The good luck accumulated through the second ability is a very fuzzy, positive form of energy, and the outcome is completely random. It could be winning the lottery, or meeting someone of destiny, or in the worst case, only getting the winning stick of ice cream a hundred times in a row.

 

 The third ability can give directionality to this highly random lucky energy.

 

 I once spent months diving into the same dungeon to get a female lycanthrope, only to keep drawing on a male lycanthrope.

 

 But the way I am now, I can save up my good luck and get the bite in one shot.

 

 By investing the good luck (as a resource) in the desired outcome, I would be able to capture the best possible future without wasting anything.

 

 In addition, as a byproduct, I get glimpses of the future, albeit very limited. Without knowing the outcome, there is no way to invest resources.

 

 The visions that I can see are only a cutout of the outcome of my actions, so I can never fully know what the future holds. However, the course of events could still be inferred from the vision at times.

 

 ...........This ability seemed all-powerful at first glance, but of course it also entails a risk.

 

 That, is the distortion of the law of cause and effect and its repercussions.

 

 The relationship between good luck and bad luck is similar to a game of musical chairs.

 

 Whenever people are able to sit in the lucky seats, there will always be others who are unable to sit in them.

 

 This situation occurs because the lucky seats won't be called 'lucky' anymore when everyone can get a seat.

 

 Good luck is only possible when there is someone unlucky enough to be compared to it.

 

 The Manipulation of Fate done by Renge in the Perfect Link is like snatching or sharing the lucky seat. Naturally, the destinies of those who are overthrown from their seats are also changed.

 

 For example, imagine there is a lottery ticket with a first prize of 1 billion yen, and I manipulate fate to win it.

 

 At that time, the person who would have originally won the first prize would end up with a 50-50 split between me and that person.

 

 As a result, the fate of the person who would have won the 1 billion yen will change into 500 million yen.

 

 A company that could have been spared from bankruptcy if it had 1 billion yen might end up going bankrupt because of the 500 million yen. A child with an intractable disease that could have been saved with 1 billion yen might end up not being saved at all because of the 500 million yen.

 

 On the other hand, if they spent their money carefully, thinking they had already lost 500 million, they might not be targeted by a malicious party. Maybe they would hide the fact that they won the lottery so that their relatives and friends would not take advantage of them. They might not fall for a scam that they would have fallen for if they had a billion yen, thanks to the fact that they only had 500 million yen.

 

 In any case, there is no doubt that the path that the individual and those around them would have originally taken would become distorted.

 

 That is the distortion of the law of causality.

 

 If the distortion of the law of causality is small, it will naturally be resolved with the passage of time.

 

 However, when distortions accumulate in succession due to repeated manipulation of fate, and when they exceed a certain amount, the accumulated distortions will return as 'Trials' directly to those who caused them.

 

 A Trial ......in other words, an inevitable misfortune.

 

 There is no escape from Trials. It cannot be counteracted by the power of good luck. It is impossible to predict and prepare. It is completely inevitable.

 

 But on the other hand, Trials can be overcome by the strength of one's will and accumulated efforts.

 

 Yes, just like when I fought the Pied Piper of Hamelin...

 

 Fate also rewards those who overcome their Trials with rewards commensurate with their success.

 

 That was why I call the repercussions of this distortion of the law of causality a Trial, not simply a misfortune or an adverse side-effect.

 

 The most frightening thing about this ability.... is that it allows you to 'borrow good luck in advance'.

 

 Even miracles that would normally be impossible to pull off with the luck I have, I can make happen by bringing in good luck that was supposed to happen in the future.

 

 Manipulating fate using accumulated good luck minimizes the distortion of causality, but manipulating fate by 'borrowing good luck in advance' creates a major distortion of causality.

 

 In fact, the distortion is so great that it could bring a Trial in a single stroke.

 

 This ability is a temptation.

 

 It is so blatantly inviting me to the path of self-destruction that I wish I could not use it at all.

 

 You might think that it should be fine to seal it off of my own volition, but that is not possible with the nature of human beings.

 

 For example, if your family or loved one is destined to die and you can save them by using this ability, would you really be able to resist using it?

 

 If you could not use it from the beginning, you could give up and accept it as fate.

 

 However, if there is a way to save them, but you decide to leave them to die, that fact will surely torment your psyche.

 

 The forbidden power that should not be used, but which we cannot help but touch.......

 

 It was truly a power that should be called the devil's temptation.

 

 However, in truth, I did not see this ability as a danger from the bottom of my heart.

 

 Because.......

 

 I grinned at Renge.

 

"——But if things get really bad, you'll stop me, even if you have to put yourself on the line, won't you?"

 

 The reason is because this ability is also a part of Renge.

 

 If that's the case, this ability won't ruin me.

 

 Even if it hurts, when I am about to be swallowed up by greed, she will surely stop me even if it means straining herself.

 

 I had that kind of confidence.

 

 Then my role was to ensure that I could utilize this ability as needed in case of an emergency.

 

“……Haa~”

 

 Seeing my smile, Renge let out a deep sigh.

 

 It was a sigh that made her feel ...strangely shrunken. Like when a mother sees a child fretting in the toy store, or when an office lady sees her low-income band member boyfriend living with her...

 

 Seriously, I don't know how he has become this way. I know I have to be more strict with him, but... I just can't help but spoil him in the end.

 

 Her eyes seemed to be saying that.

 

"...Well, for now, forget it. Rather than that, isn't the time what you should be worried about, huh?"

 

"Oh, shit."

 

 Renge's words brought me back to my senses, and I looked at my watch to see that I was just in the nick of time before being late or not.

 

 I changed into my school uniform hurriedly, grabbed my empty bag that was on my desk, and rushed out of the room.

 

 Today was July 18. It was the last day of school.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] Personal Links

 

 Original links discovered and developed by adventurers on their own. Most of them are already discovered by the government or military, or are merely degraded versions of existing Secret Links, but there are some that are completely original and distinguished.

 

 Since Personal Links are the trump card of their discoverers, most of them are kept private and secret, but there are some teams that actively share information with their comrades.

 


***

 


Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me