Wednesday, July 22, 2026

[WN] Emperor's Seventh Son : 20- 2


20-2

The Army from the Abyss


Translator : PolterGlast


Four days after that―― an urgent report came flying in via the Fimbul Dukedom on the surface. Upon hearing it, I deeply regretted why I hadn't immediately headed over to help Georg-aniue. Aniue is currently being forced into a siege battle in Ratatosk City, which has those high city walls. The enemy is not just the monsters of the Abyss. A man who shouldn't have appeared there led an army and attacked Georg-aniue, who was fighting the monsters of the Abyss. It was Prince Yord, who was supposed to be commanding the Knight Order at the battlefield in the southern part of the Empire... The elites of the Knight Order led by him, and the Imperial 5th Army which betrayed Aniue, threw away their duty of frontier defense and assaulted Aniue and Ratatosk City. They got us... I hadn't even imagined they would make such a move. If Georg-aniue is struck down, we will lose our charisma. Without Aniue, this civil war cannot be stopped. I am an abominable child possessing a dragon's eye, a Prince who has been kept hidden. I cannot fulfill the same role as Aniue. I absolutely had to rescue him. Fortunately, soldiers were gathering in the underground empire from various places. It wasn't just elves and beastmen. The lords near Fimbul who believed in our potential also dispatched troops. According to the report, the enemy's numbers are not that large either. Therefore, we aimed for the outskirts of Ratatosk City using the northern underground tunnel that we hadn't yet opened up. Our military strength is three thousand. It's a mixed force of beastmen excelling in combat power and elves capable of using magic. Even if we are inferior in numbers, if the elites of the First Army led by Aniue and the citizens of Ratatosk, who are full of adventurers with abundant combat experience, join hands, we have a sufficient chance of winning. Until I witnessed the battlefield where, for some reason, the army of the Abyss and Yord were fighting together, that's what I thought. It's a harsh situation. If things were going to turn out like this, I should have dragged Sigrun along. That gal was curious about the battle in the southern part of the Imperial Capital and didn't want to leave Erin.

What are we going to do, Ashley?

What do you mean 'what', it was a promise only up to halfway, Aneue...

Now that it's come to this, it can't be helped, deshu. Durin and Atomina-sama will prepare some medicine, deshu.

Another problem is Atomina-aneue... With Georg-aniue in a predicament, there was no way Aneue would stay quiet in the underground empire...

If it gets dangerous, please retreat immediately...

I know that much, deshu yo. Ashley-sama, please leave that to Durin, deshu.

I'm counting on you... I'll make contact with Aniue inside.

The entrance of the underground tunnel was cleverly concealed with magic. Looking down from this high ground, there is a particularly large tent, so Yord and the other commanders must be there. There is also the option of using the passage I'm about to create as an escape route, letting Aniue and the citizens escape from the underground to here. We could probably shelter the people of Ratatosk in that underground empire as well. However, if we don't defeat Yord here, we will eventually have to fight the Southern Army, which has even joined hands with the army of the Abyss. Before that, there was even a possibility that the Northern Army led by Uncle and the others would collapse, leaving us helpless against a Dark Dynasty teamed up with the Abyss. I went down into the underground tunnel and dug out a new branch path from the road built by the First Emperor.

Father, Wagahai shall go and see the situation above.

Yeah... But Zirant, when will we be able to return to our old dynamic...?

What are you saying, Father. This is exactly how we should be. You, who revived that underground empire, are none other than Father.

Does that mean we can never go back...

The coordinates could have been managed somehow with my intuition, but with Zirant's assistance, we were able to strike much more accurate coordinates. Namely, that was――

Aniue, I'm here.

Right in the middle of a strategy meeting, directly at Aniue's feet.

Kukuku... Wagahai and Father will specially help you. ...No, should I call you Uncle Georg here?

That figure is Zirant-sama!? Have you come to save us!?

There was also some bigwig I had seen somewhere before. If I recall correctly, was it the city mayor here? He was deeply moved by the surreal sight of us sprouting from under his feet.

Where on earth do you appear from, you...

Well, there was a slightly more common-sense way to make contact, but considering the war situation, we'd want to hurry even by a single second. Tell me about your situation, Aniue.

Borrowing Aniue's hand to crawl up from the ground, I joined the strategy meeting.

To summarize, Ratatosk City is apparently being attacked from both the inside and the outside. The city mayor said that the labyrinth of stakes went out of control at the worst possible timing. Because of that, not only the monsters of the Abyss but even an intelligent army of the Abyss are overflowing from the labyrinth. The biggest problem is the largest stake towering in the center of the town, from which forces of the Abyss were apparently overflowing into reality. It seems this will lead to a bad situation later if we don't crush it. The plan to escape collapsed early on.

Our remaining military strength is 2,000, and the mixed unit you brought is 3,000, huh. It's a number that isn't impossible to overturn.

Aniue would say so even if it were a lie. As for the opposing army on the other side―― I don't know, but their numbers are more than double. Even so, a chance of winning floated on Aniue's face.

I'm glad you're my younger brother. If we use the underground tunnel you created, we can strike the enemy's back. Leaving the absolute minimum necessary soldiers in Ratatosk, we will charge the enemy's main camp from the rear. We will settle this with a surprise attack.

Isn't that just a surprise attack and brute force...

You are too used to your own power. Think about it, Ashley. The enemy army you're supposed to be besieging appears right behind you. The front is the city wall of Ratatosk, the rear is our elites; from the enemy's perspective, your power is a nightmare. Your power is the strongest power in military tactics.

Kuku... Wagahai is in favor. I'll accompany you to buy time until you cut down Yord.

The strategy was decided on a counterattack from the rear using the underground passage. We will strike down Prince Yord in the main camp and the general of the Imperial 5th Army, and seize control of the remnants with Georg-aniue's charisma. After that, we will eliminate the army of the Abyss and correct the anomaly of the labyrinth of stakes. This is a battle we can win.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me