Saturday, August 15, 2026

[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 426


Chapter 426

(Kyle Calendar Year 515: Age 22)

Interlude Comedy (Prelude)


Translator : PolterGlast


Having won the encirclement and annihilation battle through defeat in detail, we left the battlefield cleanup to a portion of the units and entered the Royal Castle of the Cain Kingdom for the time being. Of course, the welcoming response was tremendous, but looking at the streets packed with people and the buildings lined up behind them, I felt a slight incongruity. This was something I only noticed after entering the Royal Capital of the Cain Kingdom: in terms of scale alone, it was similar to the Royal Capital of the Lute Kingdom I saw the other day, but the composition of the townscape was vastly different. Compared to the Lute Kingdom, which felt more like a fortress city if I had to say, this country was lacking something. Although the outer walls were solid and retained the vestiges of once being a fortress, it was a structure that made one feel vaguely anxious.

Even so, Commander, the scale of the Royal Capital is distinctly different, but if we look only at the commercial district, it rivals Kylar. Such a wealthy country... why?

I cut my words off midway, but according to what I heard, the Cain Kingdom is economically wealthy, but the soldiers they possess are said to be the weakest among the three countries. Yes, despite being outstandingly wealthy among the three countries... Why did such a wealthy country dare to respond to a troop dispatch that would cause turmoil in a time of peace? Why were the soldiers they possessed called weak? Such questions suddenly came to my mind.

It must be precisely because they were wealthy.

So that's how it is... The Commander gave only a short answer, but with that I somewhat understood. Precisely because they were wealthy, they could not tolerate the other two countries bypassing them and becoming wealthy. They developed precisely because they were in a position furthest from war, but because of that they neglected military preparations and took battle lightly. It might be something like that.

Without leaders, the reconstruction of this country will likely be difficult going forward. Although both royalty and generals to lead them are absent, we cannot watch over their future either...

That's exactly it. We liberated them, but we still have the main battle waiting for us. Therefore, we cannot take care of what comes after.

At the very least, we have to provide post-war compensation to those living in the Royal Capital from the wealth the Commander captured. With those guys having thoroughly plundered everything, there must be many territory residents who can't even manage tomorrow's living.

Indeed... even we are departing tomorrow to pursue the enemy army; we cannot get too deeply involved, but...

That's right. Since the sun will set soon today, we had just decided to depart early tomorrow morning. However, the problem is the existence of someone to entrust with future domestic affairs, or someone to become a banner.

It would be good if someone capable of being entrusted with the aftermath appeared, though...

I would later realize that this conversation became a flag.

Upon entering the Royal Capital for the time being, we asked the Cain Kingdom soldiers who accompanied us as the expeditionary force to gather the surviving civil officials.

We drove out the invaders, but we are not conquerors. Eventually, we intend to have an individual capable of unifying the three countries devastated by war succeed the throne, fulfill war responsibilities, and then govern.

「「「「Ooooh!」」」」

When I announced these words, the civil officials rejoiced, uniformly shedding tears while prostrated. And from here on is the headache-inducing part.

That being said, the invaders plundered everything from the Royal Capital. With this, the territory residents cannot sustain their livelihoods. Therefore, as an emergency measure, we will provide lump sums to the territory residents to support their immediate livelihoods, and subsidies to the merchants. This is strictly a temporary measure; the final distribution will be determined by the one who takes over politics at a later date.

Having declared this much, I stepped back without even announcing who I was. There were three reasons for doing so.

·         While the battle is still ongoing, information leaks should be avoided as much as possible.

·         With no individual to unite this country, I did not want to leave behind any strange undertones.

·         Eventually the Cain Kingdom will also be annexed under a new King. If so, their banner should be the new King.

Therefore, I decided to entrust the immediate response to one of the few military administration officers who accompanied this expedition.

Sean, it's been a while since we talked face-to-face, but I've heard stories from Alexis about how you played an active role in the domestic affairs of Ishtar. It's a major role, but I trust you are capable enough to be entrusted with it, so I leave it to you for the time being.

A great command, I have certainly received it. I will take charge of holding the fort.

I'm sorry it's a small number, but I will assign Heiman and two hundred cavalry from the Demon Territory Knights whom you know well, and temporarily entrust you with the command of one thousand Cain Kingdom soldiers and one thousand Vile Kingdom soldiers, a total of two thousand two hundred men, as the defending soldiers of this Royal Capital.

Ha, it is an honor to receive such consideration. To ensure I do not tarnish Archduke-heika's name, I will strive with all sincerity!

Sean, who answered a little nervously, was a classmate who attended the academy with me; rather than the same knight training course as us, he deliberately studied domestic affairs, and after graduating, volunteered as a military administration officer and worked under Alexis. Well... at one point he was at the forefront of Defeat Baron Harem along with Mark, Mizel, and Heiman, though... With the eastern border war he participated in as the Cadet Knights Division as the turning point, his anti-stance flipped and he began calling me Your Excellency, and after that, conversely he worshipped me strangely, which became a problem, though. Such a him has now grown into a reliable presence.

At night, as a result of discussions between Sean and the civil officials, an immediate relief plan was arranged. A little before the decree to be issued the next morning was notified to each official, Sean visited again.

I apologize for coming so late at night, and while you are busy. Having received a request for a meeting and hearing the circumstances, I judged that I absolutely must mediate it before your departure tomorrow...

Behind Sean who said so, the commander who had brought together the infantry unit of the Cain Kingdom on this expedition was following, and behind him yet another person... No... what is the meaning of this? I was bewildered by the meeting requester with an unexpected appearance.

It is my first time obtaining an audience with Archduke-heika. First of all, I apologize for rudely visiting at night, and without prior consultation. Above all, on behalf of the people, I express my heartfelt gratitude to Archduke-heika for saving the Royal Capital of this country from the tyrannical invaders.

!!!

Since entering the Royal Capital, I have not once announced myself as the Archduke of the Demon Territory Dukedom. I had also forbidden the soldiers from revealing it. Yet the woman, whose age was such that it wouldn't be an issue to call her a young girl, definitively addressed me as Archduke and paid her respects. I unconsciously looked at Sean, but he was hurriedly shaking his head.

Sean-sama has not said anything. However, witnessing your skill in repelling the invading army, this elite unit, and the actions of the disciplined soldiers, I could think of none other than Heika's army.

The young girl who knelt on one knee to greet me said so and giggled. From the somehow elegant behavior in her actions, I could understand that she was a person of no ordinary status. The words on behalf of the people alone gave me an idea, but hadn't all the royalty perished?

Are you perhaps?

Yes, I am Alicia, who was the Third Princess of the Cain Kingdom.

Royalty after all. Even so, there was a survivor? According to the reports, when the royalty of the Cain Kingdom were surrounded by the Orthodox Theocracy Army, they abandoned the Royal Capital and attempted a secret escape but were captured, and I heard all of them were executed.

With all due respect, I shall speak. Alicia-denka remained in the Royal Capital and fought together with the civilian militia who volunteered to support the defense of the Royal Capital. Even after the city gates were breached and the Royal Capital fell, she was secretly sheltered by the territory residents...

I see, so that's how it was? I was convinced by the explanation from the Cain Kingdom commander.

Don't tell me... Denka also participated in the battle?

To my words, she nodded with a distressed expression.

Yes... but someone like me was of no use whatsoever. As my duty as one whose name is listed among royalty, I could not abandon the Royal Capital and the people and run away. And yet, in the end... I alone survived...

I see, if that's the case, it might be a welcome story for me as well.

That is not true. A person who can become a banner survived. Just with that, the people of the Cain Kingdom will rejoice. It is good that you are safe.

However, I am also aware that this country invaded the Empire and caused tremendous trouble for everyone in the Demon Territory Dukedom. If the homeland could be granted lenient treatment in exchange for my own body receiving punishment, then despite being a defeated remnant, I presented myself before Archduke-heika.

Oho... to be able to say that at this age! Coupled with the story of participating in the battle earlier, the words that she could not abandon the people and flee seem to be true as well.

Then I too wish to convey my true feelings to you. The Empire and we are in the position of having suffered an invasion by the armies of your countries this time. For a certain reason, we are lending a hand in liberating the three countries from the invaders, but this is strictly to save the people. I would like you to understand that it is not to save the royal families of each country.

Yes, I believe that is a matter of course. The reason I announced myself to Archduke-heika is also because I thought someone to take responsibility for the crimes was necessary. If this life that was kept alive can be of use to those living in this country...

Hahaha, even in a place like this, what a find. This Princess, the First Prince of the Lute Kingdom, and General Golpa—there are proper individuals in each country, aren't there!

Paying respect to your splendid resolve, I will state what we are thinking without hiding anything. Through this war, the three countries suffered major damage. To the point where it is severe for one country to support itself alone now. From here on, we intend to entrust the governance of the three countries to an appropriate person, and in exchange, have them bear the responsibilities as a country.

Yes, this is also a result of our own actions for causing the war. I think it is a matter of course. As a survivor, I will bear responsibility, and I wish to leave the future of this country to the discretion of Archduke-heika and the new King. Hoping that it will be a good future for the people...

Then first of all, I would like you to take responsibility for one thing as well. Starting tomorrow, we intend to carefully examine a lump sum just enough for the territory residents to live on for the time being, and a subsidy for the merchants to conduct business, and distribute it from the wealth captured from the invaders.

Th-Thank you very much! But... then that doesn't take the form of taking responsibility, does it?

The wealth will be managed and distributed together with what was stolen from the royal family. However, there are problems as well. The first is that we cannot distribute an amount equal to what was stolen. Because we cannot carefully examine exactly how much was stolen. The second is that the formal return will be conducted by the new King. Therefore, it will require some time, and not everything will be returned. The third is that the royal family's wealth will certainly decrease. The remaining wealth will also be taken over by the new King for the reconstruction of the country.

I believe it is exactly as you say. The wealth of the ruined royal family is the same. Then, my role is to stand at the forefront and take the brunt if the territory residents express dissatisfaction, is that right?

Hahaha, she's volunteering to say the hard things herself. That helps. If she says that much, there's nothing more for me to say.

Sean, add one sentence to the newly issued decree. Upon the request of Alicia-denka, who pleaded for the relief of the people even if it meant cutting into the royal family's wealth, it has been decided to first provide lump sums and subsidies.』」

Th... that's. Then Archduke-heika will...

Because I am in the position of punishing this country, starting with the three countries, you see. In contrast to that, a banner who will stand at the forefront and fight resolutely for the sake of the people is necessary. I think you have that qualification.

The moment I said so, beside the crying Princess, the Cain Kingdom commander who had brought her here shook his shoulders greatly and wept manly tears. What with one thing or another, it seems the governance of the Cain Kingdom, which was a headache, will go well. Furthermore, if the First Prince of the Lute Kingdom and the Third Princess of the Cain Kingdom are united, the just cause for the three countries to become one will also be created... Well, these matters can wait for later. Thus, the interlude comedy amidst the battle began to run in a single direction in a joyful form. However... this night, another comedy, the next act of an unlaughable development, was waiting. Due to the appearance of a new visitor...

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me