Chapter 436
(Kyle Calendar
Year 515: Age 22)
At the End of
the Idle Talk...
Translator : PolterGlast
On the first day of arriving in the Imperial Capital, we
exchanged cups of sake with unexpected visitors until late at night, and
everyone parted with smiles, pledging to meet again in a 『free-and-easy』 manner. And the next day, in the morning, I received an
explanation anew from Sieghart regarding the new national borders and
ceded territories, and an explanation of the arrangements for the Meeting
Ceremony. Normally it would be an 『Audience』, but I (and the King of Fearalt) am strictly the
head of a sworn allied nation of equal status. Therefore, an audience would
take the form of being impolite, so it seems the Meeting Ceremony will be held
after the audience concludes.
「I apologize for being somewhat
formal, but Archduke-heika is
a benefactor we invited. Since we cannot treat you on the same level as envoys
from other countries, excuse us for doing it in this manner.」
「I never imagined that I, who was
merely the second son of a baron, would be treated with such consideration by
the mighty Empire, though.」
「Well, we are also in the position of
utilizing everyone's names. The idiot (First Prince) didn't just flee,
but left behind a troublesome souvenir, so...」
Saying so, Sieghart smiled wryly. Normally, the Third
Prince was supposed to become Emperor backed by overwhelming track records,
and establish absolute ruling power within the Empire. But even that had
become weak-kneed because of 『that incident』. As a result, although they didn't directly participate in
the rebellion, many of those who clearly supported the First Prince
still have not been punished and hold real power within the Empire.
「For Grat-heika as well, having the backing of each country is a major
strength. If we had punished all the First Prince's pro-faction and the
neutral faction leaning towards them just like that, the Empire would
have fallen into civil war. There might be some noise, but we will deal with
those, so please forgive us.」
Saying so, he bowed his head deeply. When I heard the
details of the circumstances, a certain suspicion had surfaced within me as
well, but regarding that, I had spoken of it as part of the idle talk at
yesterday's banquet.
「First, you had better pay attention
to the personal security of Heika. Because those guys exploit the gaps
in people's hearts, drag them into dark places, and brainwash them, you see.
It's not necessarily the case that they were only maneuvering secretly in the
three countries. To begin with, there are signs that those guys were connected
to the First Prince, after all.」
「Yes, following your teachings, we
will also add Light Mages to Heika's close attendants, and
confirm everyone who is employed. For the time being... in the form of seeking
teachings from Leia-dono .」
Yes, as one of the results of yesterday, we were able to
share countermeasures against the 『Apostles of Darkness』. The Kyle Kingdom side has already taken measures
receiving this incident, but they will add Light Mages to the entourage
when Clarisse-denka marries
in, and the Principality of Fearalt will also implement measures. The
problem was the Empire, but here Sieghart revealed all the inner
workings he had kept hidden up to now. I knew part of it, but it seems there
are as many as fifteen Mages under him, and they have secured a
corresponding number of magic stones necessary for the ritual. It seems there
was exactly one Light Mage among them, and they are scheduled to study
under Leia the whole time during our stay in the Imperial Capital.
「We will make arrangements so that
the Church of Lorelei can continue to perform the ritual even for people
on the Empire's side going forward. And I would like to embark on 『that plan』 anew.」
That was the initiative regarding the revival of the Demon
Territory within Empire Territory, which they had thirsted for since before. Partly because
it had been neglected due to being extremely busy with many matters, it was
decided last night to clearly begin moving on this here.
「Thank you very much. Then let's
conclude the morning's arrangements here, and I will go confirm the evening's
arrangements.」
Saying so, Sieghart smiled wryly. Because to begin
with, last night, the Tomboy Princess dropped a bombshell statement as usual.
※ Events of Last Night
That was when the banquet was in full swing, everyone was
intoxicated, and the venue was lively.
「Since I've come all the way to the
Imperial Capital, I want to see how the people of the Empire live, and
drink alcohol in a night tavern regardless of status.」
The moment I heard those words, Knight Commander Gouras
and I stood up trying to stop her before anyone else, but two individuals beat
us to the punch.
「Hahaha, as expected, Clarisse-denka is an interesting person, too
good to be kept as a Princess. Very well, I shall introduce you to a tavern in
the Imperial Capital that I often go to incognito.」
「Ohh! That would be appreciated! I
too have many familiar taverns in Feari
and Salaam, but I didn't know the circumstances in the Imperial Capital
and intended to just go haphazardly, after all.」
I mean, was it already a planned action! Even though I
warned you so much...
「Of course, this is a story that
includes inviting my friend too. Once the accession ceremony is over, you can
go out sightseeing in the Imperial Capital accompanied by your wife during the
day, right? I was just admiring my friend's devotion to his wife after hearing
the story from Clarisse-dono .」
「......」
You even know that much. I mean, the Tomboy Princess led Miseri
and Yoltia into it just because they wanted to go out themselves! When I
glared at the tomboy, she was averting her gaze with a feigned ignorant face.
「Oho, then at the time of your
wedding, I would also like to fully enjoy the night in Feari.」
「That would be good! At that time, I
shall act as your guide.」
「But Heika, if you empty the Empire
right after your accession, it will cause trouble for us left behind...」
As expected, Sieghart raised a voice of objection,
but that's a reasonable story too. I mean, do these people understand their
positions as Emperor and King? Their footwork is too light, to the point of
being common sense-defying...
「Rest assured, I'll take you along
too. It seems there's a Demon Territory in the Principality of Fearalt
too, and formidable enemies that don't exist in the Kyle Kingdom, even
called un-subjugatable, exist there. I hear Takuhir-dono effortlessly
subjugated three of those formidable enemies.」
「Really! Then during that time, let's
call Uncle to the Imperial Capital and have him act as caretaker. If we make it
so we are visiting the Demon Territory Dukedom externally, the impact
will be small too.」
Hey! Don't turn your coat so easily. Moreover, to use us as
an excuse...
「Then it's decided! To think I can
swing my sword alongside Heika again, I can't wait starting now!」
Tch! Even the Tomboy Princess jumped on board. With this, my
escape route is gone, huh.
「Then I'll strictly instruct the
deputy (Zahark) of Salaam beforehand. But please, absolutely do not
do anything reckless.」
「What are you saying? Will Archduke-heika not come to celebrate our
wedding? That would be very sad.」
「Of course I will attend the wedding,
but after that...」
「Then it's decided! Even now I can
recall the nights in Salaam I spent with Heika. Let's raise a
toast again with everyone present here.」
「「「「「Looking
forward to that day!」」」」」
No... let me finish speaking until the end. Because in the
end, it'll be my role to act as a babysitter. I couldn't help but harbor a
strange sense of affinity towards Knight Commander Gouras and Marquis Flame,
who were similarly hanging their heads. And it goes without saying that the
three of us toasted to appreciate each other's hardships, leaving them who were
livening up aside.
「Umm... Archduke-heika, is everyone always like this?」
The one who spoke up timidly saying so was Alicia-denka, and behind her, King Crajyu
also had an indescribable expression.
「That's right, I don't know why, but
if anything, everyone here is full of people who are 『uncharacteristic』. It's quite bewildering the first time, isn't it?」
「No... it's incredibly... 『good』!」
Huh? Why are your eyes sparkling so much? She's happily
exchanging glances with King Crajyu too.
「Actually, both Alicia-dono and I were ridiculed as 『uncharacteristic for royalty』 even in our homeland, and were isolated the whole time. For
us, who grew up while even siblings were at each other's throats, this is the
first time we've felt so comfortable! We too, by all means!」
「Please let me join you together with
Heika too!」
No... that way! Come to think of it, I had forgotten. They
are of the same kind as us in terms of being 『uncharacteristic』, moreover, they resemble those two... Dyed by red it
becomes red; no, it seems to be changing to an even deeper red.
「Of course! Now that we have become
friends here once, I will invite the two of you as state guests. And we too
would definitely like to attend your wedding, but.」
「O-Of course! If we can be favored
with your attendance, it would be an unsurpassed honor...」
King Crajyu was clearly feeling humbled while
trembling with joy, but I fully understand that feeling. Of course, I intended
to attend since I had heard the story beforehand, but if guests from the Empire
and other countries also attend, his status within his country will jump
drastically. Even more so if they are Emperors or Kings.
「Fufufu, this exactly can be called
the greatest gift for this accession. We can walk a new future together with
friends we have formed ties with. It's a surpassing story for the Empire
as well.」
「Umm, I will be accompanying you
there too, you know. Because managing things in Heika's absence is a
has... no, an honorable thing does not suit me.」
Hey, your true feeling of 『a hassle』 just leaked out. As usual, Sieghart doesn't change
even if the other party is the Emperor. I was watching their 『selfishness』 with a wry smile, but I took a blow from an unexpected
place.
「Truly... this is a disrespectful way
to put it, but everyone resembles Takuhir-sama.」
Wait a minute! Miseri, I cannot just let those words
pass. What part of me are you saying resembles them.
「It's exactly as Miseri-san
says. We too are constantly... no, occasionally, worried because Takuhir-sama behaves in ways unsuited for a
lord or an Archduke... though we often think that is wonderful, sometimes we
are on pins and needles...」
Yoltia,
you too! I mean, aren't you lifting me up just to drop me? Moreover, you
started to say constantly and hurriedly followed up, didn't you?
「No, I think both of you are
misunderstanding something. I... think.」
「That is not true. When you brought
up going to the Demon Territory before you even turned fifteen, when you
wandered off into town alone the moment we took our eyes off you, when we heard
you jumped into a dangerous front line during battle, when you always said you
would step onto the foremost front lines... we were always worried.」
「No, Miseri, that is...」
「I feel the same. Besides... when I
was watching your practice with Clarisse-denka from the side, I was on pins and needles. To be so severe
against a Princess-denka...」
Thinking carefully about it, it's all true. When I was
young, Anne kept a watchful eye on me without
leaving my side for a moment, and from a certain point she let me act freely,
but... Anne's worries might have been
considerable. Going out to the Royal Capital, becoming the Demon Territory
Count after that, and even after becoming the Archduke, my actions
fundamentally haven't changed... And certainly, to teach Denka to know
her place, I mercilessly beat her down and even kicked her. Huh? 「......」 Do I have to become self-aware that I am of the same kind
as them, a heretic defying the common sense of this world? Truly birds of a
feather flock together, is that it? I, who self-proclaimed to be a guardian,
was secretly being protected by my companions behind the scenes?
「Wahhahhahha, it seems my friend has
finally realized it too. From the start, we are all individuals who won't be
outdone in the way of the sword; unnecessary worries are needless.」
Certainly, that is true, but. The swordsmanship of that
couple is far above the rest for both of them, and I'm somewhat confident in my
own skill too. Beside me, Sigur and Carla are also accompanying
me, and in interpersonal or anti-monster combat, Yoltia boasts
invincible strength with magic cheats. I myself have confirmed in the Demon
Territory that the Third Prince and Sieghart are also somewhat
capable. King Crajyu as well. If so, the ones in a position to be
protected here are Miseri and Princess Alicia, whose ability is
unknown? Thereupon, I reluctantly ended up agreeing to the night sightseeing of
the Imperial Capital as well.
※ Timeline returns to the original
In the end, we are... Third Prince + Sieghart + King Krugel + Marquis Flame + Clarisse-denka
+ Knight Commander Gouras + King
Crajyu + Alicia-denka + Me + Miseri + Yoltia + Sigur + Carla
A total of thirteen people plus one, to enjoy the Imperial Capital at night.
「So that's how it is, Raphael,
I ask you to confirm the preliminary inspection and arrangements together with Sieghart-dono . Of course, your participation at
night is also decided.」
「Wha, me? Such a...」
「Yesterday you went out of your way
to 『preliminarily
inspect』
the night town even in the Imperial Capital, didn't you? Marianne was
complaining that you ended up not returning until morning.」
「Th... that's...」
「Besides, Krugel-heika
was grumbling, 『It's
a pity my friend isn't here.』 Don't you think it's impolite towards the King of a
country?」
It's not like I'm deliberately trying to trouble Raphael.
I can't help but sympathize with his position. I can't help but sympathize,
but...
「Raphael, I feel a bit sorry for Marianne and Lanatoria
too, you know. In every town we stopped by in the process of moving so far,
they lamented, 『When
night comes he wanders off and doesn't return until morning.』 So tonight, it's a proper duty so
that they too can sleep in peace.」
「Kuh... Y-Yes...」
「I understand your feelings, but
could you please cherish your newlywed wives too. At least take them
sightseeing in the Imperial Capital during the day or something, I ask you to follow
up. I'll prepare time for free action.」
Yes, I understand Raphael's duty (play) too, but similarly, Marianne and Lanatoria are important companions too, after all. I have to consider their feelings as well. Seeing off the back of the dejected Raphael, I let out a large sigh as a concluding mark. Now then, I suppose I'll be taking the stage on a somewhat troublesome stage from the afternoon. A stage filled with destinies, prejudices, and envy within the Empire...
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----
