[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 12


The Beginning of Winter and Cold Prevention 1


One month has passed since I came to the Kanista Kingdom, which means it has been a month since I started being taken care of at the Naturi Marquis Estate.

The Naturi Marquis Family is succeeded by Ashren-sama's older brother, and four people live in the main residence: the Marquis's wife, their daughter, and the Director. After finishing my greetings on the first day, I am now living together in the separate building where Ashren-sama lives.

That being said, whenever I return from work, Karin, the daughter of the Marquis couple, is always waiting for me, begging me to read her a book. The chatter of a five-year-old is endless, and sometimes the Marquis's wife also joins in, making it quite lively.

Winter is getting into full swing, and as I looked up at the cloudy sky, thinking it might snow today, Ashren-sama took a sip of his after-meal tea in front of me.

Does it snow in the Kanista Kingdom as well?

It rarely snows. Since we are further south than the Jilgista Kingdom, I think the cold is somewhat better, but I will have extra firewood prepared.

Thank you very much.

I was so embarrassed on the day I cried hysterically against Ashren-sama's chest that I couldn't even look him properly in the face, but now we eat breakfast together normally. And, having grown attached to Karin, I still hadn't moved out of the Naturi Marquis Estate.

Shall we get going soon?

The clock on the wall showed our usual time to leave for work. We stood up from our seats and decided to head to the workplace.

Good morning, Flora.

Good morning, Ashren-sama, Layla. What are you making today?

Flora ran over with her eyes sparkling. For the time being, it was decided that we would make my recipes one after another, and for the past month, we have continued to compound several types of medicine a day.

Let's see, then how about medicine for stomachaches and chilblains?

Ah! That sounds good. Then, hurry up and write the recipes.

Yes.

Sitting at my desk, I took out a pen, ink, and paper from the drawer. I proceeded to write down the necessary medicinal herbs, the process, and the points of caution there.

You can make agricultural chemicals too, right, Layla?

Yes. It is winter now, so I am thinking of making bug repellent and fertilizer once spring arrives.

Flora peeked at my hands as if she couldn't wait. Tick was nowhere to be seen, but he must be preparing in the testing room.

Flora, will you and Tick handle the compounding together? I am going to the knight order to hear their impressions on the medicines we've made so far. Come with me, Layla.

Understood.

We prioritized making medicines whose effects were easy to understand and frequently used—such as those for cuts, bruises, sprains, and burns—and the majority of them were delivered to the knight order. I had never had the opportunity to hear the impressions of the people actually using them before, so I am looking forward to it.

By the way, the Director seems busy making a new medicine for an illness that spreads in early spring, and she has taken up a position in the corner of the testing room with a sour face.

The knight order is at the western edge of the royal castle. It is the furthest place from the laboratory on the eastern edge. In contrast to me, who was heavily equipped with a tightly wrapped scarf, gloves, and a coat, Ashren-sama was wearing only a coat.

Are you not cold?

I would like to say I am fine, but it is cold. I should have brought a scarf.

He had simply forgotten. I found out after being together for a month, but Ashren-sama has some slightly ditzy moments. It's impossible to imagine from his cool face and two-faced nature, though.

I will lend you my scarf.

No, you will be cold then, Layla.

I will be fine if I pop my coat collar up. Here.

When I smoothly untied my scarf and held it out, Ashren-sama accepted it while looking a little bewildered. An orange scarf doesn't really suit Ashren-sama, but oh well.

Say, Layla, are you using perfume?

No, I am not using any because it would get in the way of compounding.

Wondering why he would ask such a thing, I looked up next to me and saw Ashren covering his mouth with his hand.

What is the matter? You are red all the way to your ears.

Wondering if he was that cold, I stood on my tiptoes and pulled the scarf up to the tip of his nose for him. Then, whatever could be the matter? His face became even redder than before.

Layla, is this unconscious or calculated?

? What are you talking about? Ah, are the people visible over there from the knight order?

There were many knights in the open, flat area, each swinging a sword. One of them noticed us and came running over while waving his hand.

Ashren, it's been a while. Is she your rumored lover?

Wha-

When I glared at him, wondering if this guy had introduced me as his lover even to his acquaintances, he vigorously shook his head.

Mark, I should have properly explained it to you. This is the Viscount's daughter Layla Wilbas, whom I scouted for the laboratory. Layla, this is Mark Lodrin, a bad friend of mine since our school days.

The knight with light brown hair and beautiful jade-colored eyes placed his hand on his chest and gave a gentleman's bow. Therefore, I also greeted him with a curtsy.

It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Layla.

I'm Mark. There's no need for honorifics. You're living together with Ashren, right?

I am a freeloader.

When I smiled with a twitching cheek, Mark shook his shoulders while chuckling kutu-kutu. This one has quite the personality too.

Looks like it's going to be a long road. Ashren, it's free practice time right now, so be my sparring partner.

Saying that, Mark-sama lightly tossed a sword to Ashren-sama.

You can use a sword, Ashren-sama?

To some extent. I'm going to go for a bit, so hold onto these for me.

Ashren-sama entrusted me with his coat and scarf, and ran off as if chasing after Mark-sama. I wonder what this is; that two-faced guy is just like a puppy.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>