Wednesday, August 12, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 11


Laboratory of the Kanista Kingdom 5 (Ashren's POV)


When I saw her at the evening banquet, I intuitively thought that she was the one who made the new medicine.

Eyes trying to find the truth, an unwavering figure. It was already something akin to intuition. People doing the same job can somehow just tell. I let my gaze run to her fingertips just like that, and I was convinced that my intuition was correct.

In that case, I thought, and looked at the man standing next to her. Is he her co-researcher? No, that's not it; he doesn't have the scent of a researcher.

As I strained my ears, the conversation went in an unexpected direction, and she left the venue. I hurriedly chased after her, and after hesitating on how to call out to her, the words that came out were,

Um, excuse me. Could you spare a little time for me?

What is this light tone. Isn't this just picking up a girl. To think the price of avoiding young ladies up until now would come around like this.

As expected, she looked at me with a puzzled expression, and I forcefully led her to the corner of the hallway, saying, Please give me just five minutes. This is bad; this will just make her even more cautious.

Trying to make even a slightly good impression, I smiled with a somewhat confident face, but she already only directed deeply suspicious eyes at me. On top of that, she even called me two-faced.

Thinking it was desperation at this point, I brought my face close and told her, The research results are yours, aren't they? and she finally changed her expression. After that, when I got to the main topic and told her my purpose for calling out to her, she widened her large eyes even further and blinked as if in surprise.

Just as I thought I could wrap up the conversation like this, an interruption came in.

The man who stole Layla's research results despised and made a fool of her. I flared up at that tone, and before I knew it, I had twisted his arm up.

However, you never know what will work out.

It seems she judged me worthy of trust, and Layla ultimately agreed to come to the Kanista Kingdom.

Since we started working together, I have been nothing but amazed by her talent. Honestly, as a fellow researcher, there are times when I feel envious and have a sense of inferiority, but seeing her earnestly devote herself to research blew such thoughts away. I honestly began to feel that I wanted to help her talent grow.

But, what I was looking at was only the very superficial part of her.

When leaving the Jilgista Kingdom, and even on the ship, she was calm and composed. Layla, who wasn't timid even at a new workplace, spilled large drops of tears.

Hic...

She raised her voice like a small child and shed tears in large drops from her big eyes.

Th-Thank you very much. Because no one has ever said such a thing to me until now.

Seeing her wipe her tears with the back of her hand and tremble her slender shoulders, I realized the magnitude of the wounds in her heart, even though it was too late.

There's no way she wasn't hurt. I don't even have to think about how much time and effort is needed to produce research results of that magnitude. Even though there must have been blood-curdling effort there, she was never acknowledged by anyone for it. Just how sad and painful must that be.

I am pathetic for only paying attention to how indifferently she spoke and not even realizing such a thing.

Before I knew it, I was hugging her slender shoulders. I stroked her fine, soft hair as gently as I could.

You've done well working so hard up until now.

No clever words came out. I just wanted to say that much. That Layla is a splendid researcher.

Ugh, sob...

Layla's slender fingers clung to my back. When I put even more strength into my arms, she began to cry as if a dam had burst.

How long were we like that? The people from the Medicinal Herb Department were considerate and gave us the room. Seeing them all leave the room together made me a little embarrassed, but the thought of letting go of the trembling body in my arms never even crossed my mind, and I just kept holding her.

Layla, who is reliable and has the disposition of a genius, seems like just a helpless woman. Although there have been times when I felt women who follow me around and cling to my arm were annoying, I have never wanted to hold them.

I want to protect her; it was the first time I felt that way.

When I brought her to this country, I promised that I would do anything I could for Layla. I said it from the bottom of my heart back then too, but now I truly mean it from the depths of my soul.

...I am so sorry.

Sniffling sniff, sniff, Layla loosened the arms she had wrapped around my back and separated from me. Her downward-facing face was red to the ears, and I somehow suppressed the urge to pull her into an embrace again.

Do not worry about it, you had bottled up quite a lot until now. Crying can be refreshing sometimes, right?

Yes, thanks to you, I feel refreshed.

With red eyes that still had traces of tears, but with a radiant smile, Layla showed her face. I'm glad, I thought, and as I gently scooped away the tear tracks with the back of my finger, she shyly let her gaze wander. What is with that cute reaction.

Oh, where is everyone?

It seems they were being considerate of us.

Oh, my goodness! I have caused trouble for the people of another department.

Layla stood up in a fluster with her hands on her cheeks, and I calmed her down and made her sit back down.

It is fine. This is a warehouse, so everyone is continuing their work elsewhere. They probably aren't particularly troubled.

Is that really true?

Yeah.

Well, there are probably some guys who are feeling troubled, wanting to go to the warehouse to get medicinal herbs but unable to do so, but they'll just have to endure it. Since we brought an unbelievable document over, this much is just small change in return.

Ashren-sama, I am alright now, so shall we head back soon?

Right.

Also, thank you very much.

Being told that, I looked at Layla, and she smiled softly like a flower blooming while looking up at me with moist, copper-colored eyes.

Thank you for calling me a researcher and praising me for working hard. I felt as though everything I have done up until now was rewarded.

...I only said what I thought.

But, those words saved the past me.

If I was able to save her. If she would be happy with such a thing. I will say it as many times as it takes: Layla is a magnificent researcher. I'm glad I brought her back with me; I felt that from the bottom of my heart.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me