Wednesday, August 12, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 10


Laboratory of the Kanista Kingdom 4


The Medicinal Herb Department is located at the back of the castle. While heading there through a place like a courtyard, I felt some sort of gaze. When I stole a glance next to me, Ashren-sama had a composed face, so I didn't think I needed to mind it.

Entering through the castle's back door and knocking on the first door, a reply came from inside. I opened the door in place of Ashren-sama, whose hands were full.

Reizan-dono, I have brought the items you requested.

Ashren, thank you. You saved me.

An elderly, tall man came out, so when I stated my name and bowed my head, the man intently observed me from head to toe.

Oh, is she the woman you fell in love with at first sight? She is a lovely person.

Isn't she?

Ashren-sama smiled warmly. I was taken aback by that composed profile of his. Did it just sound like he affirmed it?

Are the back shelves fine for the medicine?

Yeah, that helps.

Even though he should have noticed my gaze, Ashren-sama briskly headed toward the shelves in the back. There were a few other people in the Medicinal Herb Department, but since everyone was looking at me, I couldn't stand it and decided to chase after Ashren-sama.

Ashren-sama, what on earth was the meaning of that just now?

When I asked in a low voice while hiding in the shadow of the shelves, Ashren-sama lowered his eyebrows and made a fed-up expression.

Everywhere I go, it's rumored that I brought home a bride. The source of the rumor is probably my mother.

Is that so. And you denied it, didn't you?

I did it properly at first. However, even when I tried to clear up the misunderstanding, it was only thought of as hiding my embarrassment, and I was dumped by several young ladies with tearful eyes saying, 'I give up.' Thanks to that, the young ladies who usually cling to me annoyingly have completely stopped coming. It's truly comfortable.

Um, could this possibly mean... When I looked at him with suspicious eyes, Ashren-sama floated a frivolous- looking smile on his lips.

You used me as an excuse, didn't you.

Even you would feel awkward freeloading at the Marquis estate for nothing, right, Layla? I provide a place to sleep and meals, and you become a bug repellent for me. It's a give-and-take.

As expected, this guy is two-faced. And pitch black at that. Just like jet-black darkness.

When it's time for you to leave the Marquis estate, I'll spread a rumor that I was dumped, so don't worry.

Then, I will find a place to live as early as tomorrow.

Haha, there's no need to rush so much. Take your time.

Ashren-sama was clearly enjoying watching me tremble with anger as I clenched my fists. Uncontainable laughter was leaking from the corners of his lips, after all.

Don't be so angry. You're surprisingly expressive, aren't you.

Thanks to you.

You're much cuter than when you're acting aloof, you know.

Eh!?

My cheeks grew hot in the blink of an eye. It was the first time in my life I had been called cute, and I didn't know what to do.

...U-Um. You two, would it be alright if I intruded?

Startled, I looked around and saw Reizan-san peeking his face out apologetically from between the bottles placed on the shelves. Why would he go out of his way to peek from there...

Yes! What is it? Please don't mind us and tell us anything.

Is that so, I'm sorry about this. I just wanted to see the documents Lady Layla brought as soon as possible.

Ah, I'm so sorry. I completely forgot to hand them over.

When I hurriedly stepped away from the shelves and handed them over, he must have been looking forward to it, as he began flipping through the pages right on the spot.

Layla, I'll clean up here, so could you go explain it to him over there?

Me?

Obviously. They are your research results, Layla.

Because it's my research, it's only natural that I explain it. Just how huge of a thing that was to me.

Reizan-sama lined up two chairs in front of a long desk in the corner of the room and offered one of them to me.

Then, first, these are the recipes for the medicine made today. I don't think this requires much explanation, so may I move on to the explanation about the medicinal herbs' drying times?

Right, I will slowly decipher the recipes later.

Well then, I thought, and began explaining about the medicinal herbs. Partway through, Ashren-sama, who had finished lining up the bottles, joined in as well. Both of them are smart, and the questions they fired off one after another were all right on the mark.

...And so, that concludes my explanation.

By the time I finished the dense thirty-minute discussion, the people from the Medicinal Herb Department had surrounded me in multiple layers.

Amazing! Isn't this already a treasure of the Medicinal Herb Department?

Let's pass it down for generations as a prized heirloom.

Eh, um. That's exaggerating...

What are you talking about, Layla? This is something magnificent.

When Ashren-sama flatly asserted that, everyone nodded in strong agreement.

Creating documents to this extent must have been incredibly difficult. Repeating the same thing over and over, it's a job that requires concentration and perseverance. Not just this; the medicines you've made up until now are, no matter what anyone says, the result of your talent and effort, Layla. You are a splendid researcher, Layla.

At those words, I remembered how I had repeated my research from morning until night, day in and day out.

Cutting down on sleep all alone in silence, becoming unsteady on my feet. In experiments with no end in sight, Carter-sama would get angry saying I was inefficient, and there are even research results I wasn't permitted to write down.

Without realizing it, a single tear had spilled out.

I was more surprised by that fact than anyone else. Drip, drop. Tears just silently slid down my cheeks. I saw Ashren-sama's flustered face beyond my blurred vision.

Hic...

A pathetic sound came out of my throat. The tears gained momentum and overflowed.

Th-Thank you very much. Because no one has ever said such a thing to me until now.

Even when I wiped the tears with the back of my hand, they wouldn't stop at all. I have to stop crying; this is a workplace, after all. That's what I thought, but.

I had always, always wanted someone to acknowledge me. While feeling like I'd be crushed by loneliness and anxiety, I worked hard because I wanted to be praised.

Through Ashren-sama's words, I felt as if all the efforts I had made up until now were finally rewarded. I want to let the me from back then hear it.

In the depths of my heart, the part that had grown completely cold and numb became faintly warm. Ah, I realized for the first time that I was this starved for kindness.

Softly, my shoulders were pulled into an embrace.

Gentle, yet strong arms. Warmth transmitted from the chest I pressed my ear against, which was more sturdy than it looked.

Ashren-sama gently patted my head with his large hand.

You've done well working so hard up until now.

Ugh, sob...

Why must you say such gentle words at a time like this? The words I had always wished for someone to tell me.

As if something stuck in my chest for many years had burst like a dam, before I knew it, I was clinging to Ashren-sama, crying out loud.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me