Wednesday, August 12, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 9


Laboratory of the Kanista Kingdom 3


What is it? Is there a problem?

Because I suddenly let out a loud voice, Ashren-sama looked at me with an anxious expression.

Ah, no. I remember the formulas, but I just realized that I have never officially written them down.

I have handed over the documents containing the existence of the formulas and the process to derive them to Carter-sama before. But, he said he couldn't remember such detailed things and explaining it if asked would be a pain, so he told me he wouldn't announce it officially, and the documents were disposed of.

Then, is the Jilgista Kingdom not utilizing such precious research results?

No, the people from the Medicinal Herb Department came to ask me for today's drying time every time, so I told them.

To be precise, the people from the Medicinal Herb Department came to ask Carter-sama. After that, I would go deliver a memo to them, claiming it was a message from Carter-sama.

Then, what are they doing now that you are gone, Layla?

Exactly! I completely forgot about it. Without the formulas, they won't know the drying time.

What should I do, everyone is going to be in trouble. Even though it is the most important thing for quality control. As I was panicking in a fluster, I heard a chuckling laugh from next to me.

Ashren-sama? What is the matter?

Even though someone is panicking, I thought, glaring at him sullenly.

No, I'm sorry. So much has happened from the annulment of your engagement up until today, yet you were completely unfazed, so seeing you in a panic like this is quite rare, Layla.

Is that why you were laughing?

I told you I am sorry. Besides, you are very kind, Layla.

Eh?

At the sudden words of praise, strength went into the space between my eyebrows. For Ashren-sama to praise me, could there be some ulterior motive?

Do not make such a difficult face. I have no other intentions. I am purely admiring your good nature to be able to worry about the people you left behind, even after being treated so coldly. If it were me, I would probably be thinking, 'Serves you right.'

It seems I was being purely praised. The moment I realized that, heat gathered in my cheeks with a flush.

I am not used to being praised, so I do not know how to answer at times like this. If it were Aisha, would she cutely say, "Thank you very much"? Or would she humbly say, "That is not true," looking embarrassed?

Which is the correct answer? What should I do? Not knowing how to answer, having no choice but to place my hands on my cheeks and fidget, I surely must lack charm.

U-Um. Anyway, I remember the formulas, so I will write them down. Should I write them in the order of frequently used medicinal herbs or in alphabetical order?

In alphabetical order, then. You do not have to rush; take the whole morning and do it slowly. I am going out on business to another department, but if you have any trouble, just call out to Flora.

Understood.

Letting out a small breath with a fuu, I calmed the heat in my face and dipped the pen nib in ink. Stay calm, I thought, and as I recalled the formulas, my embarrassment faded, and I focused, letting my pen run across the documents.

From the afternoon, I joined Flora-san and the others to make medicines. The two of them were making more salves and poultices than I had expected.

You made quite a lot.

I remembered the people from the Medicinal Herb Department saying they didn't have enough salves. Since I was already at it, I made extra.

Even while talking, Flora-san briskly packed the salve into small bottles. Next to her, Tick was making tags with the manufacturing date and hanging them on the bottles. Carter-sama would absolutely never do chores like this.

In that case, I thought, and started on packaging the poultices.

For poultices, the finished medicine is applied thinly to a cloth, and then a thin cloth made of a certain tree fiber is placed over it to prevent drying. When using it, you peel off this thin cloth and apply it to the affected area, however.

There is room for improvement with this thin cloth as well, isn't there.

Is that so?

With this, the medicine we went through the trouble of applying will dry out. It lasts for about a month at most, doesn't it?

Yes, so does that mean you know a better method, Layla?

Yes. It can maintain its quality without drying out for half a year. Shall we make it tomorrow?

By all means! Then, let's leave the poultices packed in jars for today, and do the application to the cloth tomorrow.

The poultices packed in large jars had their lids closed tightly and were placed in the corner of the desk for now. Then, I also joined in on packing the salves.

While working silently, I heard the lively voices of children from outside the window. Hm, children? And quite a large number of them at that.

Are there children in the royal castle?

Ah, those are the children of the servants working here. When their parents are working, they are left at the daycare center near here.

I see, nobles have wet nurses, but it's impossible for commoners to hire someone. That's why it seems the royal castle takes them all in together while their parents are working.

Sometimes the civil officials teach them reading, writing, and calculations.

The knights also teach them swordsmanship and such.

Standing up and looking out the window, about ten children were running around. Hm? Could the person in the center of them be the Director?

Um, there is someone who looks like the Director out there; are my eyes deceiving me?

No, it is surely her. The person who built that daycare center was the Director's husband, who was the Prime Minister at the time, so it seems she still checks in on it from time to time.

Wow, that's amazing. Ah, our eyes met, I thought, and then the Director came over here.

Good work. I heard from Ashren, but it seems you have been playing a huge role since this morning.

Not at all! All I did was hand over the recipes for the salve and poultice, and compile the drying times for the medicinal herbs.

It is not 'all'. Those few hours are equivalent to several years of technological development for this country. Have more confidence.

Thank you very much.

Fidget, fidget, as I thought, I am not used to being praised. With the Director joining us, the bottling was finished by evening while listening to the future policies.

Good work. I will take these to the Medicinal Herb Department, so the rest of you please clean up. Also, Layla, I would like to introduce you to the people at the Medicinal Herb Department, so won't you come with me?

Understood.

When I tried to hold the wooden box lined with the finished bottles, Ashren-sama smoothly reached out his hand from the side.

Could you hold these recipes, Layla? Also, the documents where you compiled the drying times of the medicinal herbs from this morning.

Yes.

I returned to my desk, took the documents in hand, and decided to head to the Medicinal Herb Department together with Ashren-sama.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me