Wednesday, August 12, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 8


Laboratory of the Kanista Kingdom 2


The next day, I commuted to work in the same carriage as Ashren-sama. We had talked about the future while on the ship, and it has been decided that I will be taken care of at the Naturi Marquis Estate for a while.

Good morning.

Good morning, Layla-san. I am preparing your seat right now, so please wait a moment.

Since we had just returned from the boat trip yesterday, we returned to the Marquis Estate immediately after eating lunch. The real work starts today. The laboratory is divided into several rooms, but the room closest to the entrance has everyone's desks lined up, and it seems paperwork is done here. Next to it is the testing room, and the innermost room is the warehouse.

Thank you, Tick. I can do the rest myself, so it is alright.

A desk and chair were already placed. I borrowed a rag from Tick and began wiping them down. Since there was some rough dirt on them, he might have brought them from some warehouse.

Layla, is it alright if I explain the development currently taking place in the laboratory, even while you are cleaning?

Yes. Please do.

The seat next to me apparently belonged to Ashren-sama, who was looking through documents in his hand while crossing his long legs. The Director was reportedly attending a budget meeting.

First, the knight order has requested the improvement of salves, and since it is the season for colds to spread, the development of a more effective cough medicine. Also, this is a perpetual issue, but the stable quality control of medicines.

I see. As I listened, several ideas came to mind. I could probably use that and that.

Ashren-sama, regarding the medicine requested by the knight order first, how about taking what was used in the Jilgista Kingdom as a base and slightly improving it?

However, you left all the research materials in the Jilgista Kingdom, did you not? Can you make the same thing?

I have all the recipes for the medicines I made memorized in my head, so it is possible.

When I tilted my head wondering why he would ask such an obvious thing, Ashren-sama was looking at me with his mouth wide open.

All of them? Does that mean you remember all the detailed numbers, not just the types of medicinal herbs to dispense, but their amounts, the time to boil or heat them, and the timing to mix them?

Yes, of course. I have made hundreds of varieties up until now, but I remember all of them.

Feeling a sense of incongruity in the dead silent laboratory, I turned around to find both Flora and Tick staring at me, looking as if they had frozen solid with their half-finished work in their hands.

Hundreds of varieties of medicine recipes in her head……

And here I am, barely managing to just remember the types of medicinal herbs.

Did I say something strange? When I looked at Ashren-sama, he had his hand on his chin, looking deep in thought.

In that case, the recipe for the medicine to prevent the mass withering of wheat is also……

Of course. However, using it exactly as is could lead to an international incident, so I think it would be better to slightly improve it before putting it into circulation. Even so, it might still cause a problem, though.

Because if large quantities of a very similar medicine started circulating the moment I came to this country, they would definitely find it suspicious.

No, if that is the case, it is fine.

How can you declare that so certainly?

Because you could not even do chores properly, right, Layla? There is no way you would know medicine recipes. Even if a very similar medicine circulates after you arrived, it is just a coincidence.

……Uwah, he really is two-faced. Saying such vulgar things with a beautiful face. Well, it is certainly true, though.

Even if I were to make the same medicine, pursuing the matter would cause sparks to fly at Carter-sama. After all, I was supposedly not involved in making medicines and did not know any recipes.

Still, I think it would be better to improve it just in case, though. It does not have to be a major improvement; just adding a little bit of a medicinal herb that wouldn't interfere with the effects, for example.

For now, I will write down slightly arranged recipes for a salve and a poultice. If possible, I would like to start from prepping the medicinal herbs used as ingredients, but this time I think I will make them with what is currently available.

Layla! In that case, won't you let Tick and me handle that job? The medicine recipes of a foreign country are incredibly fascinating!

Yes, Flora-san. I will leave it to you, then.

I dipped the pen nib in ink and began writing out the recipes. I wrote the steps that required caution more detailed and carefully. Medicine making is a very delicate thing.

Then, please do exactly as written here.

Whoa, this is the first time I've seen such a detailed recipe. The timing to mix the medicinal herbs and the temperature at that moment are determined down to the second and the degree.

I apologize for it being so detailed. Can you do it?

I'll do it! I'll show you I can do it!!

Next to Flora, who rolled up her sleeves in high spirits, Tick was muttering to himself while turning pale. The word "anxiety" was clearly floating on his face.

Tick, if there is anything you do not understand, please ask anytime.

Yes! I'll count on you.

Alright, let's head to the testing room.

Tick followed behind the highly motivated Flora. A woman giving instructions to a man is a sight I never saw in the Jilgista Kingdom.

Also, Ashren-sama, regarding the stability of the medicinal herbs' quality.

You have an idea for that as well?

Rather than an idea, it is a solution.

At my words, Ashren-sama widened his ice-blue eyes and then looked up at the heavens.

I have decided that I will no longer be surprised no matter what I hear.

Haa.

Finding Ashren-sama staring into space with somewhat distant eyes curious, I proceeded to explain.

The biggest cause of the medicinal herbs' quality being unstable lies in the drying process.

Nearly half of medicinal herbs are used by turning the dried ones into powder. Other than that, they are mostly used as heated broth, squeezed juice, or mashed as is.

This drying is troublesome, as you have to finely adjust the drying time depending on the room temperature and humidity. The combinations number in the thousands, tens of thousands.

Don't tell me you have memorized that as well?

As expected, that is impossible. Therefore, I created calculation formulas for each medicinal herb. If you insert today's temperature and humidity into this formula, the optimal drying time will come out.

Even in the Jilgista Kingdom, the variation in medicine quality became a problem, and I investigated the major medicinal herbs. That was the most mind-boggling task out of all the work I have done. Changing the time minute by minute, repeating the same process over and over. Doing that repeatedly for dozens of types of medicinal herbs required a great deal of patience and concentration.

I might have possibly brought back something incredible. Would it be possible to have you compile those calculation formulas?

Yes, I memorized all of them…… Ah!

That's right, I just remembered. I had never written those formulas down in official documents before. In other words, the Jilgista Kingdom is currently unable to know the accurate drying times.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me