Tuesday, August 18, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 17


Old Castle by the Lake 1


Spring in the Kanista Kingdom came earlier than expected. After a winter that didn't get too cold, the buds on the trees began to swell. And then,

Achoo.

The Director began sneezing frequently.

Today is my day off from work. After having a late breakfast, I was reading a book in the living room of the Naturi Marquis Family's separate estate when Karin came over to play. Behind her was the Director, holding madeleines baked by the main estate's chef. Since it was a good opportunity, Ashren-sama joined in as well, and we all decided to have tea together.

Ah, it was no good this year either.

Pressing a handkerchief against her red nose, the Director muttered with teary eyes.

I apologize. I have also tried making medicine for hay fever many times, but I haven't succeeded yet.

The new medicine the Director had been working on during the winter was one to completely cure hay fever. I joined halfway through and we aimed to complete it, but it ended in failure. I have tried many times since I was in the Jilgista Kingdom, but I always fail and end up welcoming spring.

Hearing that there's something even you can't make, Layla, makes me feel somewhat relieved.

Giving a side glance to his mother, who had a red nose, Ashren-sama wickedly raised the corners of his lips.

There are plenty of medicines like that, you know? Please do your best, Ashren-sama.

I do not have hay fever.

There are many people suffering from it. Besides, if a parent has hay fever, the child often gets it too.

He furrowed his eyebrows with an ugh and turned his mouth into an inverted V-shape. Let's definitely force Ashren-sama to participate in making the medicine next time.

Even so, thanks to the medicine you compounded, Layla, my symptoms are still mild this year.

Sniffling her nose, the Director took a sip of black tea. However, she lamented that because her nose was stuffed, she couldn't appreciate its wonderful scent or taste.

It is a medicine to suppress itchy eyes and a runny nose, so it doesn't cure it completely, but I am glad your symptoms are staying mild.

But this medicine is difficult to balance. Both the eyes and tear ducts need moisture, so if it works too well, it dries them out, but if the effect is weakened, it becomes less effective. It is hard to get this balance right. I really want to complete it next year.

Grandmother, you came to invite her on next week's trip, didn't you?

Seemingly frustrated at not being able to join the conversation, Karin, who was sitting on the Director's lap reading a book, interjected. Hm? Trip?

Hey, you'll come with us too, won't you, Layla?

Um, where to?

I couldn't grasp the point from her clumsy explanation at all. As I tilted my head, the Director explained it to me.

The laboratory will go on spring break for a week next week, right? I always coordinate with that to go to a slightly distant territory. Won't you come with us this year?

In the Kanista Kingdom, people work hard when it's time to work, but in return, they are properly given long vacations. Since they are usually busy with work and inevitably have little time to spend with their children, traveling as a family during long vacations seems to be the standard way to spend them in this country. How wonderful!

That being said, I am a freeloader. Is it really okay for me to go along? Originally, I was supposed to find a house in about a month, but a woman living alone is naturally unsafe, so I haven't been able to find a good property. Moreover, with Karin visiting almost every day and leaving with a "See you tomorrow," I've somehow ended up putting it off.

Come on, let's go together. Ashren-sama would be happy if you were there too, Layla, right?

Cough!

Suddenly having the topic thrown his way, Ashren-sama nearly spat out his black tea and choked. Seeing that, the Director chuckled while handing him a handkerchief.

Cough, I am fine either way, but what about you, Layla?

Wouldn't I be a nuisance tagging along on a family trip?

My brother and the others would rather be happy to have another babysitter. Besides, speaking of being a nuisance, I am the same.

Do you always go too, Ashren-sama?

Only for two or three days, though.

What should I do? In that case, maybe I should accompany them for a few days, just like Ashren-sama. I have gone shopping and visited cafes with Flora on my days off, but I have never once left the Royal Capital. Since I went through the trouble of coming to the Kanista Kingdom, I was just thinking that I'd like to go out to various places.

Then, please allow me to join you for a few days. I will take care of Karin.

Yay! It's a promise. Aren't you glad, Ashren-sama!!

Wha—! I said I am fine either...

Huh, was I being a nuisance? Is it my imagination that the area under his swiftly averted eyes is a little red?

Am I being too presumptuous after all?

No, that's not...

Do you dislike me going with you?

...I didn't say that.

Ah, could it be you are plotting something again?

Wha—! Why would you think that? And what do you mean by 'again'!?

Because he is two-faced, after all. As I pressed him with a suspicious glare, thinking he was being shady, the Director and Karin laughed while putting their foreheads together.

After dinner, I kept glancing out the window while reading a book in the living room. From here, I have a good view of Karin's room in the main estate, and it is almost her bedtime.

Ah, I see a light.

Taking the lamp I had placed nearby, I headed to the terrace jutting out toward the garden. The small light drew a circular arc, and was then pulled straight across horizontally.

I wonder what that one was?

It means 'tomorrow'.

Ashren-sama answered my murmur from behind. The small light still didn't stop moving; this time, it went diagonally from top to bottom, then drew a triangle.

Um, would that be I am going?

The movements of the light have meanings. It seems to be a derivative of semaphore flags, using lights to exchange words with someone far away. Karin had said she wanted to talk even while in the main estate, and this method was what Ashren-sama recalled.

It seems that basic knight education is mandatory for the sons of nobles in the Kanista Kingdom, and they learn semaphore flags and light signals there as well. Because the population is small, he taught me that they are educated so that everyone can swing a sword in times of emergency.

It seems Karin intends to come over to play tomorrow as well.

Isn't that fine? It is lively and fun.

As a signal for Understood, I spun the light twice above my head.

Ashren-sama, how do I signal I am looking forward to it?

Hmm, it is strictly a means of communication for emergencies, after all. Well, I suppose this will do.

Ashren-sama's hand overlapped with mine holding the lamp. My heart instinctively leapt at the size of his hand and the warmth I felt on my back. He is close.

After pulling my hand straight down vertically, Ashren-sama moved it slightly to the side. It was similar to the letter L.

What meaning does this have?

It is Understood imbued with a favorable meaning. Even if it is the same agreement, there is also one mixed with a reluctant meaning.

Warm breath brushed against my earlobe, and heat gathered in my face. Even though I had a fiancé, my interactions with Carter-sama were limited to just layering hands during escorts at evening banquets. This posture, which felt like being embraced from behind, was a bit... no, quite stimulating for me.

What's wrong? Your face is red.

And yet, to peer into my face even further. I wonder if he is teasing me on purpose.

Unable to endure it, I took a step forward to distance myself from his arms and slowly drew a semicircle. The signal for 'Good night' that Karin and I had come up with.

Ashren-sama, I will return to my room as well.

Yeah, good night.

With a gentle pat, Ashren-sama's hand naturally stroked my head. I left the spot while keeping my head down so my red face wouldn't be seen.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me