Tuesday, August 18, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 18


Old Castle by the Lake 2


And so, the long vacation arrived.

The territory, located three hours away by carriage from the Royal Capital, was a place rich in nature with gentle hills, a lake, and a forest spreading to the east.

Borrowing Ashren-sama's hand to step down from the carriage, I took a big stretch.

It is a nice, tranquil place. The sky is so clear and blue.

The stars look beautiful at night. In the past, I used to swim in that lake.

To think there was a time like that for Ashren-sama as well.

You have such well-ordered features even now, so you must have been a cute child.

As I stared intently at his noble face and imagined his childhood, Ashren-sama let his eyes wander somewhat uncomfortably.

...I have been thinking this for a while, but are you unaware of it? Or could it be you are actually highly calculating?

What are you talking about? Please do not make me work after coming all the way out here.

I learned that resting is important since coming to the Kanista Kingdom. Sleep deprivation causes a lack of concentration and lowers work efficiency, and a change of pace is also necessary. Wait, huh. Ashren-sama is letting out a deep sigh. I wonder what is wrong despite such wonderful scenery.

Layla, you know, the very top of the house is an attic, and you can sleep while looking at the stars from there. Let's sleep together tonight!

Karin stepped down from the Marquis' carriage and came running, hugging me with that momentum. She is too cute.

That sounds lovely. Marchioness Naturi, would that be alright?

Yes, I insist you do.

I asked Marchioness Naturi, who was walking up behind Karin. She is five years older than me, and her soft, feminine atmosphere is similar to Aisha's, but she has a strong core and it seems the Marquis is surprisingly under her thumb.

The two-story building standing at the edge of the lake surface is the villa of the Naturi Marquis Family. Even though it is called a villa, it is about the size of my family home, so as expected of a Marquis family.

Built with calm-colored bricks and a red pointed roof, the villa's first-floor terrace jutted out over the lake. The Director told me that when they were children, Ashren-sama and the Marquis used to jump into the lake from there.

After bringing down our luggage and taking a breath, the servants prepared a meal for us on the terrace. Dishes using vegetables harvested around here and rabbit meat. I had never eaten rabbit before so it was my first time, but perhaps because it was prepped well, it was soft and easy to eat. Once we finished dining and bathing, Karin promptly came to my room. Wearing a pure white nightgown with frills, Karin tugged on my sleeve, her cheeks dyed pink as if she couldn't wait any longer.

Layla, let's go to the attic quickly.

Yes, alright.

I threw a gown over my nightwear and grabbed a pillow. Led by the hand by Karin, who was similarly holding a pillow, we climbed the stairs to find a small door slightly lower than my height.

What is this, it's just like a secret base. I can see why Karin is so excited.

When I bent down and opened the door, a mattress was laid out on the brown wooden floor beneath the moonlight shining in from the ceiling window. Karin hopped onto that mattress, though it was a mystery how it was brought in through that small door.

Next to her, as she bounced over and over as if enjoying the boing of the springing mattress, I also took off my shoes and climbed onto it.

Because the roof was triangular, the walls slanted upwards, aiming toward a peak overhead. On that wall were two large fixed windows, and pale moonlight poured into the room through them.

When I placed down the pillow I brought and lied down on it, the window framed the night sky like a painting, with stars of various sizes shining brightly. A night sky that felt less like it was going to fall on us, and more like we were going to be sucked into it. If I strained my ears, I could hear the sound of a faint wind rustling the leaves, and the hooting of an owl in between.

I have only been able to welcome such calm nights since coming to the Kanista Kingdom. When I was in the Jilgista Kingdom, I was exhausted every day, and only slept like a log when I got home. I never had the time to gaze at the night sky like this.

Karin placed her pillow right next to mine and lied down similarly. The sweet scent unique to children and her soft, fine hair brushed against my cheek, and a smile unconsciously broke out on my lips.

Layla, there's an island in the middle of the lake, right?

Under the starlight, her ice-blue eyes—the same as Ashren-sama's—sparkled brightly.

You mean that island thickly overgrown with trees?

Yes, you know, inside that forest, there is an old castle.

Karin gently told me, bringing her face close to my ear as if whispering a treasured secret. Even though it was just the two of us in this room, I couldn't help but let out a laugh.

A secret castle. Have you ever been there, Karin?

When I lowered my voice to play along, Karin happily snuggled up to me.

No, Father said I am not allowed to go. That island is cursed! And inside the castle, a beautiful princess is sleeping, waiting forever for a prince to come.

Oh my, the prince better hurry then. The princess will become an old lady.

Jeez, Layla! You don't age while you're asleep, so it's fine.

But the prince will age, you know. Hmm, but being kissed while you're asleep and forced to marry that person... I wonder if the princess is actually okay with that?

And you know, the water in this lake is cursed, so you must not drink it.

Eh, it's water you can't drink? Then what about the water used for cooking? I drank the black tea normally, you know.

That's water brought from far away and stored in a water jug. We use the lake water for baths, but all the water we consume comes from the water jug.

What about well water?

We have one, but she said you can't drink that either. Mother said it will make your stomach hurt.

Water you cannot drink. Water that causes stomachaches when drunk. But the lake I saw from the terrace was so clear that you could see the bottom.

And yet it cannot be drunk.

Why? What could be considered the cause? As I let my thoughts wander, the sound of gentle breathing reached me from next to me.

That's right, she must be tired after traveling so much today. I am tired, too. I'll think about the lake water tomorrow.

After gazing at the sky full of stars once more, I also slowly closed my eyes.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me