Wednesday, August 5, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 2


Days in the Jilgista Kingdom 2


※※※※※

The next morning, as I was reviewing the research results I had pulled an all-nighter to compile, Carter-sama and my younger sister appeared at the laboratory together.

Good morning.

Oneesama, good morning.

Layla, are the documents ready?

Yes, I have compiled them here. May I explain them to you?

I felt that the distance between the two as they entered side-by-side was rather close, but it must be my imagination. More importantly, I need to report to him, because we got excellent results.

Handing the documents to Carter-sama, I began to speak, being careful not to talk too fast out of excitement.

Regarding the mass withering of wheat that we have been researching, it seems it is indeed related to the amount of rainfall during the summer prior to harvest.

Our research is not limited only to medicines for human use. Of course, we research that as well, but what we are working on now is an agricultural chemical for pest control.

This country is a mass producer of wheat and even exports it to other nations. However, mass withering of the wheat occurs at a rate of once every few years. Each time, the citizens starve, and the loss of exports causes the national power to decline.

The wheat harvest in this country is around November. Previous data has shown that if the summer rainfall exceeds a certain amount, mass withering occurs. Therefore, we hypothesized that this rain is activating an invisible bacteria.

I have succeeded in making an agricultural chemical specialized against bacteria that explosively multiply due to humidity.

How long does the effect last?

About two months, I believe. I think it would be best to spray it around September. This is the data from the experimental results, and you can see it suppresses the reproduction of the target bacteria. Naturally, it is harmless to the human body.

As I pointed to the tables and graphs lined with numbers, Carter-sama nodded in satisfaction.

Understood. Then, I will report this to His Highness the Second Prince under my own name.

……Under your name, Carter-sama?

What, do you have some kind of dissatisfaction!?

N-No. Not at all. It is research that you conducted, Carter-sama, so……

When I hurriedly waved my hands in front of my chest, Carter-sama nodded as if it were only natural.

But, I was the one who gathered the data to arrive at that theory, and I was the one who repeatedly conducted the research. Carter-sama hasn't done a single thing.

Um, regarding that, would it be alright for me to go investigate that mountainous region?

While the mass withering of wheat occurs all over the country, there was one single region where it did not. A small mountain village on the border with the neighboring Kanista Kingdom. I had been asking to go there for a field investigation for a while now.

The wheat, soil, and water from that region have already been brought to the laboratory and investigated, haven't they.

Yes, but I feel there must be some underlying cause. I want to go to the site and confirm it myself.

That is unnecessary. The agricultural chemical is already completed, so this research concludes today. Layla, get started on the next research topic.

I swallowed back the word, "But."

It's true that what Carter-sama says is correct.

Since this agricultural chemical is finished, there is no need to go all the way to that mountainous region.

But, call it a researcher's intuition, perhaps.

I feel like we have to clarify exactly why the mass withering didn't happen there alone.

That being said, there was no way I could tell him to let me go based on intuition, so I had no choice but to nod.

Um, in that case, could you at least allow me to accompany you for the report to His Highness the Second Prince?

I wanted to see what kind of reaction His Highness the Second Prince would have to these research results. Even if my name didn't come to light, I wanted to be by his side to see His Highness the Second Prince praise and acknowledge Carter-sama. That would surely make me happier than being praised myself.

You? For what purpose? Don't tell me, are you planning to state on the spot that these are the results of your research?

Of course not, I have no such intentions.

Oneesama, you must not act selfishly towards Carter-sama.

My sister suddenly interjected into the conversation. Since when was she standing behind me? She gently placed a tray with black tea on Carter-sama's desk, and let out a soft, elegant smile.

I apologize. My sister is so inconsiderate that she cannot even prepare tea.

Wha—, I was in the middle of a report……

How could I possibly brew tea while giving a report? Besides, I've been researching continuously since last night without drinking a single drop of water!

I thought Carter-sama would surely say something about this, but the words that came out were not what I had hoped for.

Exactly. A woman must be capable of delicate attentiveness like Aisha. That's right, Aisha, won't you come along with me for the report?

Me?

Yes, you are charming, highly attentive, and you bring a sense of glamour. I feel you would be able to convey my efforts well to His Highness the Second Prince.

Yes! Please leave it to me.

Carter-sama, please wait. In that case, I can do it too. Please take me……

I refuse. Bringing a sullen woman like you would only dampen the mood. Besides, I told you to get started on the next research topic, didn't I.

Saying that sharply, Carter-sama waved his hand at me while drinking his tea, signaling that he had no further business with me.

Understood.

When I said that and turned to leave, my sister whispered in my ear, At least wash the cup that Carter-sama drank from, alright?

At that moment, I heard the sound of something breaking inside of me.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me