Days in
the Jilgista Kingdom 3
※※※※※
One month has passed since the report to His Highness the
Second Prince. I have been spending my days buried in work as usual.
Tonight, there is an evening banquet at the royal castle,
inviting dignitaries from various countries. The work I was given in the
afternoon took quite a while to finish, so I hurriedly rushed home by carriage
amidst the late autumn dusk.
「I have just returned.」
「Layla, returning at this hour, just what are you thinking?」
「I apologize, Mother, but the work……」
「Work again. Honestly, you are so
inefficient, so learn from Aisha. That child came home properly before
noon and has already finished getting herself ready.」
In addition to the work I was ordered to do, I had also
finished the work that Aisha was supposed to do before returning. Yet,
my mother scrunched up her face and raised her eyebrows at me.
「Mother, please do not blame Oneesama.
People have things they are suited for and unsuited for, after all.」
Ringing out a voice like a chiming bell, Aisha came
down the stairs leading to the entrance. Wearing a pink organdy dress, her hair
was tied up high, and a flower-shaped hair ornament shone near the top of her
head. A scent of roses drifted from her body, which she had hurried home to
polish, and her fresh, vibrant skin was translucently white.
「Oh, you are so beautiful, Aisha.
Look closely, Layla. Aisha returns home early every day and never
neglects taking care of her hair and skin. In contrast, what about you? Coming
home late at night using work as an excuse, making no effort to be beautiful is
a disqualification as a noble lady. Learn from Aisha a little.」
Comparing me and Aisha, my mother bathed the failure
that was me in cold gazes and words. For a woman, the most important thing is
to possess an appearance that attracts men. Refining oneself for that purpose
and being chosen is a woman's happiness— that is my mother's pet theory.
「Madam, Carter-sama has
arrived.」
「I came to escort you to the evening banquet,
but Layla, you are still in that state?」
Quickly looking over my entire body, he let out a clearly
displeased voice, though he refrained from clicking his tongue.
「I apologize. I was searching to see
if there were any other cases we should confirm besides the materials I
received.」
The materials handed to me by Carter-sama being
insufficient is nothing new. I am told that it is also my job to gather
materials on similar cases on behalf of the busy Carter-sama. I ended up
being late because I was searching for those. And yet.
「Are you saying that what I handed
you is not enough?」
「That is not what I mean, but, Carter-sama,
you previously……」
「Ah, enough. You immediately say
things like 'But' or 'Because'. You truly lack charm. You should learn from your
younger sister Aisha and become a little more docile.」
Being told the same words as my mother, I bit my lip.
"Why," I almost said again, but I swallowed it and quietly endured.
「Now, now, Layla, it is
exactly as Carter-sama says. A woman should listen to what men say and
make an effort to dress up cutely. Carter-sama, I apologize for having
such an inadequate daughter despite you taking the time to come. I will have
her get ready in a hurry, so for now, please head to the venue with Aisha.」
「That is right. They are going to
give a reward for your research results at this evening banquet, Carter-sama,
so we cannot afford to be late.」
Eh, a reward. I hadn't heard about that. Even if it isn't
announced under my name, I was the one who produced those research results.
And yet, Carter-sama did not even pay any mind to my
surprised state. He took Aisha's hand, walked right past me, and headed
for the carriage.
With a clack, the door closed. Looking at me left
behind, my mother simply threw the words, 「Hurry up and get ready,」 before going up the stairs.
I trudged up the stairs as if following her, and headed to
the bathroom alone. My personal maid had already disappeared years ago. When
the days where I was so busy with work that I couldn't even return home
continued, I heard from Aisha that she was fired because she was no
longer needed.
Even though she had taken care of me since I was little, I
couldn't even say goodbye to her.
The hot water had long since gone cold, so having no choice,
I firmly wrung out a towel, wiped my body, and changed into a dress. I haven't
been to an evening banquet in years, so I only have dresses tailored when I was
fifteen.
It's a slightly childish design for a nineteen-year-old me,
but I chose a navy blue dress from among them.
「I wonder if I can wear this if I
take off the big ribbon decorating the chest. As for my hair, if I work some
oil in and do a half-up style, I might be able to do it myself.」
Hair that hasn't been properly cared for doesn't gain luster
just by applying some oil. Because of my messy hair and tired skin, my makeup
sits terribly on my face. My completely thinned-out body floats inside the
dress, looking incredibly awkward.
Even so, the reason I headed to the evening banquet was
because there was a reward for the research results. Even if the words of praise
were directed at Carter-sama, I wanted to hear them with my own ears.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----
