Thursday, August 6, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 4


Days in the Jilgista Kingdom 4


And yet, the evening banquet I arrived at had already finished the reward ceremony, and light music was playing.

Beneath the dazzling chandeliers hanging heavily from the ceiling, people were taking each other's hands and stepping happily.

Ah, I didn't make it in time, did I.

A sigh of disappointment naturally spilled out. I'm useless no matter what I do, huh. I just worked hard so that the people living in this country could become even a little richer, and above all, for Carter-sama's sake.

Layla, you came.

Carter-sama!

Carter-sama came to greet me as I stood near the entrance. With just that alone, my sunken feelings surfaced.

I apologize for keeping you waiting. The reward ceremony has already ended, hasn't it.

Yeah, and because of that, I have something to tell you. Follow me.

Yes.

Carter-sama turned on his heel and began walking briskly. In an unfamiliar dress and shoes, just chasing after him was difficult. Pinching the hem of my dress and jogging as I followed behind him, Carter-sama stopped in a place where many people were gathered.

Your Highness, I have brought her.

Tension ran through me at the words "Your Highness". The silver-haired young man visible beyond Carter-sama was unmistakably His Highness the Second Prince of this country.

Ah, so Carter-sama had acknowledged me after all. I don't mind if the research results are credited to Carter-sama. But, even so, I still wanted words of appreciation for my labor.

It is a pleas……

Layla, I am breaking off my engagement with you and marrying Aisha.

My attempt to greet him with a curtsy was interrupted by Carter-sama's words. Eh? What did he just say?

Breaking off the engagement……?

Looking at Carter-sama, wondering if I had misheard something, Aisha smoothly appeared and entwined her arm with Carter-sama's.

U-Um. What does this mean……

This engagement was originally arranged by the royal family for the sake of my Raybeen Earl Family, which works on medicinal herb research. I had endured until now, thinking I couldn't break it off on my own, but this time, His Highness the Second Prince has given his approval to change my fiancée to Aisha.

Aisha snuggled up to Carter-sama as if leaning on him, floating a smile that incited a desire to protect her.

Could you please let me hear the reason?

Suppressing my trembling voice, I kept up an appearance of calm as much as possible. In truth, I felt like crying and screaming, but if I did such a thing, I would smear mud on the Wilbas Viscount Family. Besides, His Highness the Second Prince was right in front of my eyes.

As I tightly gripped my hands and braced my trembling legs inside my dress, I was called out to from an unexpected direction.

I see, it is indeed just as Carter says. Not changing your expression in the slightest in such a situation, you are a truly cold-hearted young lady.

His Highness the Second Prince……

I have heard about you from Carter. Even though you are inefficient at your work and a hindrance to the research, you do nothing but state your opinions and assertions despite being a woman, lacking any charm. And on top of that, I hear you claimed Carter's research results as your own?

That's…… With all due respect, I never did such a thing……

As if telling me to shut up, His Highness the Second Prince directed his palm towards me, restraining my speech, and shot me a cold gaze.

And the only things that come out of your mouth are words of self-defense like 'but' and 'because'. Even now, it is exactly like that.

His eyes and attitude were saying that he would not permit me to speak any further. Due to the intimidating aura emitting from His Highness the Second Prince, the blood drained from my face, and cold sweat ran down my back.

His Highness the Second Prince has acknowledged that Aisha, who supports me in the shadows, is more fitting as a fiancée than you, who only thinks about standing out. Oneesama, I am sorry.

There is no need for you to apologize, Aisha. It is all because Layla is inadequate. I will explain it to Viscount Wilbas, so do not butt in.

The two of them exchanged passionate gazes right in front of me. I had thought in the corner of my mind that a day like this might come eventually.

I don't care anymore.

Emotions that could be taken as either resignation or disappointment welled up in my chest.

No one is looking at my efforts. No one will listen to my words. If I state my own thoughts, I am told I lack charm or that it is self-defense, and I no longer have the will to say anything.

His Highness the Second Prince of this country who unilaterally decided I am the bad guy and wouldn't give me room to explain, the fiancé who only uses me, and my younger sister—I don't need them.

Understood. I accept the annulment of the engagement.

I'm glad you understand.

And I am also quitting the laboratory.

Wha—, you!

My words seemed to be something completely unexpected for Carter-sama, and he looked at me with wide eyes.

I am inefficient, and I cannot support you, Carter-sama. Staying here any longer will only make me a hindrance, after all.

You, that is exactly what I mean by you lacking charm. Sulking, maliciously troubling me, and enjoying it; your personality is twisted beyond belief.

That's right, if you turn over a new leaf, Oneesama, Carter-sama will forgive you for everything up until now.

Suddenly, the two of them started to panic. Of course. Those two actually realize it as well. Who does the research, and who does the chores. What will happen to the laboratory if I am gone.

If you think that way, wouldn't it be even better to get me out of the laboratory? There should be plenty of people to replace someone like me. Your Highness, could you not arrange for someone more fitting than my inadequate self for the sake of Carter-sama and my sister?

I see, despite being a woman, you rebel against a man's words one by one. It is certain that you will be of no use to Carter. Do not worry, there are many capable personnel who are far more excellent than you.

His Highness the Second Prince threw a gaze of contempt at me. This person is the same as Carter-sama. He doesn't have the mind to listen to opinions from both sides.

Then, if you will excuse me.

I did the best curtsy I could manage and left that place. And then, I headed straight for the door and left the venue.

The click-clack of my footsteps echoed in the sparsely populated hallway. I am not thinking about what lies ahead right now. Father and Mother will probably be happy that Aisha has become the fiancée. Because the only one important to the two of them is Aisha.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me