Thursday, August 6, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 5


Days in the Jilgista Kingdom 5


Um, excuse me. Could you spare a little time for me?

When I turned around after suddenly being called from behind, a tall, unfamiliar man was standing there. Slightly older than me, with silver hair, ice-blue eyes, and a straight nose on a well-ordered face, the young noble was indeed someone I had no memory of.

I apologize, but I am going home, so please ask someone else for a dance.

No, this is not an invitation to dance. Of course, I would be happy if you danced with me, but I figured you probably are not in the mood for that right now.

The young noble floated a smile on his thin lips that also looked frivolous, and forcefully led me to the corner of the hallway, saying, Please give me just five minutes.

You are quite forceful, aren't you.

I usually act a bit more gentlemanly, but I do not have time today, so I took drastic measures. I am Ashren Naturi from the neighboring Kanista Kingdom.

I am Layla Wilbas.

What business could someone from a neighboring country have with me? If I recall correctly, the Naturi family should be a Marquis family with a long history.

Actually, I was also near His Highness the Second Prince earlier.

Is that so. Then, you must have also heard my engagement being broken off.

Thinking that I had exposed such a disgraceful sight in front of a completely unknown third party made me feel embarrassed all over again. However, it was still unclear why Ashren-sama had stopped me. In a story, a neighboring prince would appear, suddenly whisper words of love saying he had actually liked the heroine for a long time, and sweep the heroine off her feet to take her away, but no matter how you looked at it, this was our first meeting.

Besides, there is no one who would fall for me wearing an ill-fitting dress, with ruined skin and hair from sleep deprivation, and I do not feel even a shred of such a sweet atmosphere from him in front of me. Yes, if I had to say—

You seem like the two-faced type……

Lady Layla?

Ah, no, it is nothing. By the way, what is your business with me?

Ashren-sama narrowed his slit-like eyes and smoothly approached me. And then, he muttered by my ear.

The research results that Lord Carter was rewarded for are yours, aren't they?

「!!」

My heart jumped at the unexpected words. How did he figure that out? As I dumbfoundedly stared back into his ice-blue eyes, Ashren-sama raised the corners of his mouth.

You have a look on your face that asks how I knew. The reason is these hands. The medicinal herbs required for that research include ones that cause rashes, yet the hands of Lord Carter and Lady Aisha are white, without a hint of redness, let alone eczema. In contrast, your fingers are so red and swollen, with blood oozing out in places.

I am extremely careful when handling medicinal herbs. Even so, when doing research, microscopic droplets can adhere to the skin, and when washing the used beakers, caked-on powder can get on your hands.

You noticed well. Are you also a medicinal herb researcher, Ashren-sama?

Yeah, I serve as the deputy director of a laboratory in the Kanista Kingdom.

The Kanista Kingdom is located south of our country, and its landmass is about one-fifth the size. It is said that they are fifty years behind our country in both literary and military arts.

What sort of business would someone in such an important position have with me?

Please don't let it be a development like a marriage proposal, I thought, when Ashren-sama let out a chuckle.

It would be romantic if I were to whisper words of love here, but unfortunately, I do not possess such words, nor would you wish for them.

Of course. Even if someone I am meeting for the first time said such a thing to me, I could only think I am being made a fool of.

I agree. Rest assured, I want to scout you. Please lend me your power. I want you to let your talents bloom in our country, Lady Layla. Of course, I will support you with anything I can.

Scout? Me?

As I blinked rapidly, Ashren-sama nodded powerfully. It was at that moment.

Layla, so this is where you were!!

Just as I thought my arm had been suddenly pulled, Carter-sama was standing there, his face red with anger.

What was the meaning of that earlier?

He closed in on me with raised eyebrows. My grabbed arm hurt, causing me to furrow my brow, but he showed no sign of loosening his grip.

Until now, I have supported you, my fiancé, in my own way. However, if our engagement has been annulled, there is no longer any need for that.

This is why I ask why you lack charm so much. Even though I am telling you I will let you remain at the laboratory if you wish. Besides, who is that man?

Despite being glared at with a gaze full of hostility, Ashren-sama parried it with a light smile. Despite his delicate facial features, this person is quite bold on the inside.

It is a pleasure to meet you. I am Ashren Naturi from the Kanista Kingdom. Hearing that Lady Layla quit the medicinal herb laboratory, I was scouting her for my own laboratory by all means.

Scout?

Carter-sama's right eyebrow twitched upwards. At that gesture, this time Ashren-sama's left corner of his mouth curled up tightly. He really does have quite the personality.

That is unfortunate. All she can do is organize documents and wash dishes; I do not think she will be of use.

The population of our country is one-fifth of this one's. Even someone doing chores is a precious human resource.

On top of being inconsiderate, she fiercely asserts herself with 'buts' and 'howevers', and lacks modesty.

As a researcher, one must possess their own thoughts. That, too, is the human resource we are seeking.

She cannot even brew tea properly.

The one who wants to drink it should brew it, shouldn't they?

Halfway through, Ashren-sama was clearly enjoying himself. As expected, this person is two-faced. But, with every single word Ashren-sama said, my chest felt lighter and refreshed.

Listening to you, that is quite a terrible way to speak of her, yet do you have a reason to fixate on her?

Hmph, as if there is any such thing. I simply do not want our country's shame spread to a foreign land.

While still grabbing my arm, Carter-sama quickly ran his eyes over my entire body.

Or are you interested in her as a woman? She is a boring woman who cannot even dress up properly. Her body looks like chicken bone…… Ow!

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me