Days in
the Jilgista Kingdom 6
Before Carter-sama finished speaking, Ashren-sama
twisted the hand that was grabbing my arm. A clear color of fury was floating
in his eyes.
「That is because your eyes are
clouded, is it not.」
「What! Let go!」
Ashren-sama
intently observed Carter-sama's twisted fingers. Hands without a single
callus from a pen, let alone scratches or rashes.
「You have quite beautiful fingers.
Are you familiar with the medicinal herb called Mirare?」
「Hah?」
Although he floated an expression caught off guard by being
suddenly asked the name of a medicinal herb, he quickly furrowed his brow and
glared at Ashren-sama.
「What are you suddenly talking about.」
「I believe it is a famous medicinal
herb, though.」
「Of course I know it, but what of it.」
Mirare is the
medicinal herb used to make the agricultural chemical that prevents the mass
withering of wheat, and it causes rashes on the skin.
I understood the intent of Ashren-sama's question,
but Carter-sama did not even seem to comprehend that, deepening the
wrinkles between his eyebrows even further.
「Enough. I have nothing to talk about
with you. Let's go, Layla.」
Was it because he saw the odds were against him, or because
he couldn't state the real reason he needed me? When Carter-sama met my
gaze, he jerked his chin towards the venue with an arrogant attitude, as if
telling me to follow him. But, I shook my head side to side.
「I refuse.」
「Hah!? Why are you so uncooperative?
There is still time now, so go apologize to His Highness.」
「For what purpose?」
「What do you mean for what purpose,
it's so you can continue working at the laboratory, isn't it.」
What is this man saying? Why do I have to lower my head? And
work as your shadow once again?
「I believe I stated that I am
quitting the laboratory.」
「That's why I'm asking why you are
being so stubborn. What will you do after quitting? It will be difficult to
find a new engagement at your age. If you even lose your job, it will be hard
for you to stay at the Wilbas Viscount Family's estate. I am looking out
for you, can't you understand that?」
「I am grateful for the sentiment, but
it is a nuisance.」
「A-A nuisance!?」
Spitting as he spoke, he repeated my words. Why does this
person think he is correct? How can he believe without a doubt that I will obey
him? To begin with, having been the one to bring up annulling the engagement,
just what is he worried about?
「I am going to the Kanista Kingdom.
I do not know if I will be able to make it there, but that is my own problem,
so please do not mind it.」
「What do you intend to do about the
laboratory! What about the ongoing research? The new medicines? Are you saying
you will abandon everything? There is a limit to irresponsibility!」
「Oh my, all I do is organize
documents and clean up. Even if I am gone, it will not hinder the research,
will it?」
The one who called me someone doing chores was Carter-sama.
It's better not to have an inconsiderate woman who can't even brew tea properly
around, isn't it? Just as you wish, I will disappear from your sight.
「I will not be troubled even if I
leave this country because I have a job. By the way, is there something
troubling you, Carter-sama?」
「T-That is……」
「I think it is better not to have a
former fiancée who cannot even do her job properly around, though.」
Carter-sama
repeatedly opened and closed his mouth with a red face. Hearing the commotion,
the number of people around us had increased. I should leave this place soon.
「Well then, I will be looking forward
to your future endeavors, Carter-sama.」
I floated my highest-grade smile and left that place.
「……So, when will you come to our
country?」
Once we were out in the garden, Ashren-sama whispered
in my ear. This person's distance is sometimes a bit too close.
「What would you do if I said I wanted
to go together with you just like this, Ashren-sama?」
「As a man, that is a line I'd like to
be told at least once. May I ask the reason?」
「There are two reasons. To avoid
being falsely accused of taking classified national documents out to the Kanista
Kingdom. If I return to the laboratory or even my family home just once,
they might claim that I took the documents at that timing.」
「An unromantic reason, just as I
expected. Can I hold out hope for the other one?」
To his slit-like eyes that were narrowed teasingly, I
answered while shrugging my shoulders.
「Because I loathe the thought of my
parents' persuasion and lectures.」
「I see, a convincing answer.」
I observed him chuckling with his thin lips out of the
corner of my eye. If Ashren-sama had tried to delude me with sweet
words, I never would have thought to follow him. I cannot trust the shallow
words of love from a man I just met.
But he was different.
He found the truth from the information on the new medicine
and my rough hands. Something that no one noticed, starting with His
Highness the Second Prince, he did it so easily and effortlessly.
I decided I wanted to trust those eyes.
Besides, Ashren-sama relied on me, asking me to lend
him my power. He even said he would support me.
Those words made me happy. Until now, there was no one who
looked at me as a researcher. Just someone doing chores, an assistant, an
existence of only that extent.
「The Kanista Kingdom is fifty
years behind its neighboring country. I will make up for this delay in five
years.」
「Five years? You are being quite
modest, aren't you.」
「Since you joined us, Layla, I
think I will revise it to two years.」
Ashren-sama
reached his hand out. When I grasped it, he squeezed back even tighter.
「Welcome, to the Kanista Kingdom.」
That smile I saw under the moonlight was, without a doubt, his true feelings.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----
