Wednesday, August 26, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 23


Old Castle by the Lake 7


You seem to be having fun somehow.

You too, Layla.

Well, I suppose I am.

I rummaged through my backpack and took out six bottles. At that number, Ashren-sama lowered his eyebrows in exasperation.

I thought you had an awfully large backpack, but did those take up the majority of it?

The rest is my canteen and lunch. Ah, I also have salve and bug repellent in there.

That was a more biased lineup than I expected.

Is that so? I have never done field research or anything like that, so I don't really know.

Then, please fill two bottles each with just water, just algae, and just waterweeds.

Understood.

Ashren-sama rolled up his sleeves, pulled out the waterweeds growing at the bottom, rolled them up into a ball, and forcefully stuffed them into a bottle. In the meantime, I collected the water and the algae growing on the edges.

I was in a good mood as we left the old castle and boarded the boat again.

In the end, we didn't get to meet the princess, did we.

Well, it's not guaranteed that the princess would be a beauty, after all.

So you're the one choosing. Well, you do have a beautiful face.

If she wasn't your type, it seems like you would just leave without saving her.

Wait, just how cruel of a person am I in your mind?

I dodged that face glaring at me with wrinkled brows by smiling sweetly. Hmm, I have become quite tough myself.

I am looking forward to seeing what kind of results we get from the samples.

Right, let's report to my mother when we get back. She will probably say she's going tomorrow herself. We can have her collect a little more while she's at it.

You are right. I should have brought more bottles.

I regretted a bit too late that I should have prepared another bag.

Don't worry about it. This place is three hours from the Royal Capital, and half that on a fast horse. We can come anytime.

Do you and the others often go on field research, Ashren-sama?

I suppose so. It's rare in the winter, but from spring to autumn, we do go out sometimes. Don't you go to the field in the Jilgista Kingdom?

Yes. I asked a few times, but I was told that they would send a representative instead.

Even though there are things you only understand by going and seeing them for yourself. There are hardly any people who can act as a substitute for you, Layla.

Setting aside whether there is a substitute for me, there are things you discover for the first time by going, just like this time. I felt that there really is a need to go to the field.

I don't really want to speak ill of your former fiancé, Layla, but he is disqualified as a researcher.

You are right. I will not deny that.

I was told to support him, and I worked hard in my own way, but now I think he was a person who wasn't even worth that.

I was working hard trying to be useful, but I was merely used.

How pathetic. I had faintly noticed Carter-sama's feelings and thoughts. But this is the result of believing that if I worked hard, he would acknowledge me someday.

The boat that started moving made small ripples on the lake's surface. Listening to the splash of the oars hitting the water, I absentmindedly watched those waves.

...Do you still like that guy?

Eh?

When I raised my head at the unexpected question, Ashren-sama was there with a serious face. In his light blue eyes that usually looked somewhat cold, heat was swaying.

...I wonder.

Now, I don't even know if I liked him. I never yearned for him in love, nor was I ever driven mad by jealousy. I just felt miserable and sad being compared to Aisha.

I wonder how those two are doing around this time. I wonder if Father and the others are even a little lonely now that I am gone. Since coming to this country, every day has been fun, and I hardly ever remember the Jilgista Kingdom. It's not that I don't care about what's happening at the Medicinal Herb Laboratory, but honestly, it has nothing to do with me anymore. It might be cold of me, but I have no lingering attachments, and I never want to be involved with them again.

I see.

Saying only that in a low voice, Ashren-sama didn't ask anything else. I didn't intend to speak of it myself either, so let's end this conversation here.

Somehow frustrated that my hard-earned fun feelings had deflated, I purposely let out a cheerful voice.

Ashren-sama, aren't you hungry? I have sandwiches and black tea.

But that is your share, isn't it, Layla?

I had them make a little extra. Isn't a picnic on a lake lovely?

I took out the sandwich I had placed at the very top of my bag so it wouldn't get crushed. Untying the cloth wrapping it and offering one, Ashren-sama hooked the oars onto the edge of the boat and accepted it.

Thank you.

It is cold, but there is also black tea. Are you fine with using the same cup as me?

...If you don't mind it, Layla.

I have feelings of hesitation, but I don't mind. I poured black tea into the lid of the canteen and handed that to Ashren-sama as well. The wind blowing across the lake surface under the blue sky feels good. Besides, there are unexpected samples in my backpack. Yes, today is a happy day after all.

I am glad I came. It was fun.

Then that is good. We are scheduled to return tomorrow, but you can stay a little longer if you want.

What are you going to do, Ashren-sama?

My mother will probably tell me to guide her to the old castle. I intend to stay here a little longer.

The Marquis and the others are staying for a week, but we were scheduled to return tomorrow. I feel like I want to stay here a little longer, but as expected, that would be presumptuous of me.

Is there any problem if I use the carriage and return first?

It is fine because I will return in my mother's carriage.

In that case, I will return tomorrow as planned.

Understood. But examining the collected samples is for after the vacation ends. Because you always try to work right away even on your days off, Layla.

Yes, understood.

He completely nailed me down on that. I wanted to examine them during my time off, though.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me