[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 24





Old Castle by the Lake 8 (Ashren's POV)




▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽▲▽

After dinner, my mother's eyes were glued to the bottles lined up on the desk.

My sister-in-law went to the bedroom because Karin got sleepy, so right now, the four of us—my brother, my mother, Layla, and I—are relaxing in the living room.

「What is this?」

「Layla's harvest.」

「No, it would have been absolutely impossible for me to collect them on my own.」

When I urged Layla, who hurriedly shook her head, to talk about how she found them, she began to explain, albeit with bewilderment.

For some reason, Layla has a tendency to hesitate to speak about her own research results. I wonder if leaving the reporting to others is a habit from her past.

Even now, she occasionally directs an anxious gaze my way, as if asking whether it is okay for her to be the one speaking. I poured amber liquor into my glass and pretended not to notice that gaze.

I purposely used the lake water to mix the liquor. Well, as long as you don't drink too much, there's no particular problem.

Besides, Layla's explanation was concise and easy to understand, and it seemed to finish by the time I emptied my glass. When my mother began picking up the bottles with her eyes sparkling like a young girl, Layla's interest shifted to the glass in front of me.

「The taste of tea changes depending on the water, but is that the same for liquor?」

「Yeah. Do you want to try comparing them? The usual water brings out the sweetness and gives a mellow mouthfeel, making it easy to drink. In contrast, the lake water increases the depth of the flavor and strengthens the liquor's taste.」

I poured liquor into a new glass as I spoke. Then, a thought suddenly occurred to me.

「Layla, can you hold your liquor?」

「Well, I don't know because I have never drunk before.」

「I see. Then I will make it weak. You don't have to drink it all.」

I placed two types of liquor, made at about half the strength of what I was drinking, in front of Layla. Layla picked them up, held the liquor up to the light of the chandelier hanging from the ceiling, observed it curiously, and then slowly took a sip.

After enjoying the taste on her tongue, her throat made a small gulp sound. She brought the other glass to her mouth in the same way.

「You are right. The taste is different! Both are delicious.」

「I see. I'm glad if you like it. But don't drink too much.」

「Okay.」

Layla brought the glass mixed with lake water to her mouth again. Seeing how she was drinking it with relish, she might actually be a strong drinker.

After that, I was caught by my mother, who questioned me inquisitively, wanting to hear the story from my mouth as well. Her questions often jumped to things other than the algae and waterweeds, and I was fed up with being persistently asked why I ended up going with Layla.

When I casually looked at Layla, she was sitting flat on the floor instead of the sofa, swaying her body back and forth. Hm, could it be...

「Layla, are you okay?」

「Hyes? Ah, it'sh Ashren-shama.」

Glazed eyes and an empty glass. Could it be, I thought, and looking at the desk, the other glass was also empty.

「Are you drunk?」

「Nooo~. I'm fineee.」

The way she tilted her head slightly was cute, but her cheeks were red and her tone was suspicious. She is absolutely not fine.

「Um, you don't seem nauseous, at least.」

「Yes! I feel fluffy and it's fun.」

I see, it's fun. This is no good.

「Can you stand? Mother, I will take Layla to her room.」

「Oh my, she got drunk, didn't she. Ashren, how much did you make her drink?」

「Two glasses of liquor diluted with different types of water. I told her she didn't have to drink it all, though.」

「But she drank it all, didn't she.」

"Oh dear," she said, lowering her eyebrows, but I could tell she was amused. Well, that's the same for me, though. However, I also felt that I didn't want to show her defenselessly smiling figure, which was like that of a little girl, to anyone other than myself.

「Let's go. Should I lend you a shoulder?」

「Yeees.」

She clung to my arm while letting out a sweet, coaxing voice. The lukewarm gazes of my mother and brother pierced my back, and even without looking back, I could clearly picture their grinning smiles.

Layla's room was on the second floor. The villa wasn't that large, so I thought we would reach it immediately, but...

「Ashren-shamaaa, it'sh not that way.」

As I stepped onto the second-floor hallway, she tried to climb the stairs further, saying it wasn't that way. I see, Layla slept in the attic yesterday.

Thinking either is fine, I headed to the attic as she pulled me, bent my back to pass through the small door, and carried Layla to the mattress. Yeah, even if she tosses and turns in her sleep, it's safer up here.

All that's left is to cover her with a blanket, and my job is done. I feel a little reluctant to leave, but I am a gentleman, for the most part. Just as I was thinking that, Layla raised her upper body slightly and wrapped her arms around my neck.

「Ashren-shama, you should lie down too. The shtars are pwetty.」

With my neck held down in an unstable posture, I lost my balance and ended up lying down on the mattress just like that. Right in front of my eyes, Layla, with her red cheeks and glazed eyes, was smiling.

This is bad, I thought, but Layla innocently pointed at the window installed on the slope of the triangular roof. Laughing fufufu at who knows what, she began to talk about constellations. I'm sorry, but none of it is entering my head at all.

「Yeshterday, when I saw the shtars, I thought I wanted to shee them togevah with Ashren-shama.」

At those words, heat rushed to my cheeks with a flush. Did she think of me while looking at the stars last night? When I reflexively reached out and touched her cheek, she nuzzled against it, perhaps finding it cool and pleasant.

Being fawned over playfully as she laughed brightly and fluffily. Just what kind of trial is this. If she weren't drunk, I would definitely think she was inviting me, but seeing her defenseless smile, I gathered my scarce remaining reason, telling myself not to step any further.

It has only been a few months since Layla broke up with her fiancé. Even today, she had a gloomy expression when the topic of her fiancé came up, so the wounds in her heart probably haven't healed yet.

「Layla, good night.」

At least dropping a kiss on her hair whorl should be forgiven. Somehow overcoming the temptation of her sweet scent, when I covered her with the blanket, a lisping reply of "Good nighsh" came back.

Good grief, I thought, and as I went down the stairs, my brother was sitting at the very bottom, looking up at me descending.

「What is the matter?」

「You were late coming back, so Mother told me to go check on you, but as your older brother, I was agonizing over what I should do right here.」

「I properly put her to sleep, you know.」

「Without laying a single finger on her?」

Seeing him grin broadly and say, "I'll keep it a secret," as I was left at a loss for words with an ugh, I realized that being two-faced is hereditary.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>