Rain, a Cave, and the Truth 1
The early summer sunlight is dazzling. Perhaps because it is further south than the Jilgista Kingdom, I feel like summer is arriving earlier than usual.
I am still living in the separate estate of the Naturi Marquis Family. I found a good property a while ago and thought about moving, but I was stopped by everyone in the Marquis family.
Meanwhile, the property I had my eye on was rented out, and the talk of moving fell through. For that reason, I am heading to the laboratory in the same carriage as Ashren-sama today as well.
When I open the window, a slightly warm breeze strokes my cheek, softly fluttering my brown hair. The property I liked was along the road from the Naturi Marquis Estate to the castle. It was the second floor of a three-story building on a main street in a relatively safe area. Unable to completely give up on it, I stare at it every time we pass by, however.
「Ashren-sama, even though they said that property has been rented, there is no sign of anyone living there, is there.」
The windows are tightly shut, and I have never seen them opened. I would think it'd be hot in this weather.
「...Is that so? They are probably just still sleeping.」
「There aren't even curtains on the windows.」
「Hmm, true... For example, maybe it was rented for secret meetings.」
I see. So that's how it is. But in that case, I think a back alley would be more suitable. Besides, for that use, curtains would be essential. When I turned my gaze, which had been watching it with wonder, toward Ashren-sama, for some reason his eyes were wandering slightly.
When I opened the laboratory door, Tick, who was tending to the aquarium by the window, turned around.
「Good morning, Ashren-sama, Layla-san. You two are commuting together closely again today.」
「...Good morning, Tick.」
Even when I glanced at Ashren-sama, he showed absolutely no sign of minding it. He calmly sat in his chair and crossed his legs as if it were a well-known fact. This two-faced man has zero intention of clearing up the misunderstanding anymore. ...I need to find a new room quickly.
Algae was growing thickly inside the aquarium placed by the window. It was what we brought back from the basement of that old castle. Upon investigation, it was the algae that was breaking down the components that caused stomachaches. It doesn't have a use for now, but if you put it in a water-filled aquarium with limestone and leave it by the window, it breeds to an amusing degree.
Thinking in that case, we decided to cultivate it until it filled up four aquariums for the time being. I want to check if it breaks down things other than limestone, and we can check its reproductive capability at the same time. Tick was appointed in charge of breeding it. It wasn't by a show of hands, but a unanimous appointment.
Ahead of where that aquarium reflected the sunlight, Flora was having a staring contest with a document with a difficult expression.
「Good morning, Flora, what's wrong with that difficult face?」
When I peeked over the shoulder of Flora, whose mouth was turned down in an inverted V-shape, at her hands, what she was looking at were the materials regarding the pesticide I last made in the Jilgista Kingdom.
「Is there something bothering you?」
「Ah, no. It's not like that, but...」
She mumbled, making her mouth ripple as if it were hard to say. I also had a feeling of could it be.
「Was that material alone insufficient, I wonder?」
「No, that's not it. ...It's just, I don't mean to pick a fight with your research, Layla, but I just thought this might need more verification.」
Flora lowered her eyebrows and chose her words hesitantly. As for me, I nodded deeply, thinking as expected.
「Actually, I also have some dissatisfaction with that research.」
「Eh, you too, Layla? But this is the pesticide that was rewarded in the Jilgista Kingdom, right?」
「That is true, but...」
Hmm, I put my hand to my chin and got stuck for words, while not just Flora, but everyone in the laboratory looked at me.
「Layla, what do you mean?」
Urged by Ashren-sama, although a bit bewildered, I decided to tell the truth. To be honest, I also had the feeling of wanting someone to listen.
「Actually, I was rushed to produce research results quickly, so the verification is insufficient. If it were up to me, I wanted to go to the site and investigate the water and land myself, but I couldn't even do that.」
That's why, within myself, I haven't been fully convinced about this pesticide. There's no mistake in its effect of suppressing the multiplication of bacteria caused by moisture, but I just can't sit right with whether moisture is actually the correct cause for the mass withering of the wheat in the first place.
When I explained the circumstances around that to Ashren-sama, he crossed his arms with a difficult face, going Hmm. The Director appeared from behind him and received the materials from Flora's hands.
「What do you want to do, Layla?」
「Actually, there is a place where the mass withering of wheat does not occur. I would definitely like to go there. Perhaps I might find out the true cause of the mass withering.」
「I see. But, that is the Jilgista Kingdom's territory, right? It's not something I can give permission for.」
「If that is the case, please look at this!」
I took out a map from the desk. It's a map of this country that I found while wandering around the town during spring break.
「The village where the mass withering of wheat doesn't occur is this place. It's near the summit of the mountain range that straddles the Jilgista Kingdom and the Kanista Kingdom.」
I pointed to a single spot on the map. It's a small village on the northern side of the mountain range, that is, on the Jilgista Kingdom side.
「On the southern side of this mountain range, that is, on the Kanista Kingdom side, there is also a village at the same altitude. It's a small village called Liebel Village, and they mainly make a living by growing fruit, but it seems they also grow some wheat.」
「Certainly, as far as looking at the map goes, there is a bit of flatland where it looks like wheat could be grown.」
Ashren-sama peered at the map. It was impressive how he quickly ran his eyes over it and measured the distance from the Royal Capital.
「That's right. However, they only grow enough for themselves to eat, so I don't know if there was a mass withering.」
If they had been paying the harvested wheat as a tax every year, there would be records left, but if they were eating it themselves, there's no way to investigate further. The harvest yield isn't recorded anywhere.
「So you want to go, but there's a high possibility it will end in a wasted trip.」
The Director looked at the map, going Hmph, hmph. That's right. I had looked into it after hearing from Ashren-sama that they sometimes go to the site, but there was a high possibility there would be no harvest even if I went, so I couldn't bring myself to say it.
「Isn't it fine? You should try going.」
「Is it really okay!?」
I reflexively asked back at the Director's words, stated so plainly. After all, from the Royal Capital, it takes four days by carriage to get to the foot of the mountain. From there, it would take a whole day just to climb the mountain to the village.
「Yes, the mass withering of wheat is becoming a problem in our country as well. If there are doubtful points, they should be investigated thoroughly. But, I can't let you go on this journey alone, Layla.」
「In that case, I will accompany her.」
Ashren-sama volunteered, acting as if it were only natural. It's true that it would be impossible for a woman to go alone, and I can feel secure with Ashren-sama.
「It seems you have no objections either, Layla. But, we also need another escort.」
「I will double as an escort.」
「Your sword skills are a point of pride even as your mother, but I think we should attach one knight after all. There are several mountain passes to cross before reaching the mountain range, so we have to consider the possibility of running into bandits and the like. Besides,」
「「Besides?」」
When Ashren-sama and I asked in unison, the Director lowered her eyebrows and let out a soft breath.
「I cannot let an unmarried Layla travel alone with a man. Even if that partner is you.」
「Ugh... That is. Understood. Then please assign one escort knight.」
The Director smiled broadly, said, 「I will go consult the Knight Commander,」 and left the laboratory.
Tick put his hand on Ashren-sama's shoulder and patted it pon-pon as if to comfort him.
「You really got nailed down hard there with that reminder, didn't you.」
I couldn't hear the words Tick whispered, but Ashren-sama's sulky face was a little red.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
[Bronze]
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----