Wednesday, August 26, 2026

[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 27


Rain, a Cave, and the Truth 2


Just the fact that I can go on field research has me restless with excitement. To think something I couldn't do no matter how much I wished for it in the Jilgista Kingdom would be permitted so easily. Moreover, even though there is a high possibility it will end in a wasted trip.

When I told Flora that I was so excited I had started packing my bags more than a week before departure, she was surprised with an "Eh?", and then, furrowing her brows and crossing her arms, she told me she would check my luggage.

On her day off, Flora went out of her way to come to the separate estate of the Naturi Marquis Family. When she spread out all the luggage I had packed into my backpack on the floor, she let out a huge sigh. Then, rummaging through the large bag she had brought, she took something out from inside.

Layla, take this and this as well. And, you don't need this.

A raincoat and a hat were added, and my umbrella was tossed aside into the corner. Then, she picked up a casually spread out one-piece dress with an exasperated look.

You can't climb a mountain in clothes like this. If we are going through mountain passes where bandits might appear, it's safer to make your appearance more masculine.

I see. I hadn't even thought of that. But, what should I do? I don't own any clothes I can use to cross-dress.

There's a shop in the Royal Capital that handles women's trousers. They also handle female knight uniforms and women's work clothes, so you'll find some if you go there.

Since some time ago, Flora and I had started speaking in a familiar tone. This reliable older sister always looks out for me.

When I asked for the location, it was a little ways into an alley from a main street I had been to before. To think there was a place like that.

Going to buy maps or going to the library. My range of action is certainly expanding. By now, I am even more familiar with the Kanista Kingdom than the royal capital of the Jilgista Kingdom, where I only commuted back and forth between my workplace and home.

Hmm, but since you've never been on field research before, you probably don't know what is necessary, Layla. Oh right, if you'd like, why don't we go buy them together right now?

Is that okay? Am I not being a bother?

I wanted a new bag anyway, so the timing is perfect.

It is reassuring to have Flora with me. Well then, with that decided, we set out into the town.

The Kanista Royal Capital is a small town. We could go by carriage, but the weather was nice so we decided to walk.

Leaving the Naturi Marquis Estate and walking down the main street, after turning down narrow roads a few times, we found our target shop. It had an astringent brown roof and walls painted blue. Cuteness, there was none. I somehow liked that.

When the door chime rang with a slightly muffled cling-clang, a stout woman in her forties came out from the back. She seemed to be the owner of this shop.

Welcome, Flora. What are you looking for today?

It's been a while, Seri. This is Layla, who recently joined the laboratory. She's going on field research for the first time, so I want you to pick out a complete set of necessary items for her.

Then, is she the rumored...? I've heard stories from my husband.

Rumored, she says. As I made a suspicious face, Flora told me that Seri's husband is enlisted in the knight order. Looking at Seri, who was looking at me and chuckling fufu with a knowing smile, I could easily imagine what kind of rumors they were.

I'll take your measurements for now, so step over here. Oh my, you are a petite young lady. It seems you won't be able to carry a lot of luggage, so shall we keep it to the minimum?

No, please prepare everything she needs. Ashren-sama should probably carry the heavy things for her.

Right, then I'll put together a complete set.

I had no choice but to smile wryly as she patted my shoulder pon. I could deny it, but I did promise to be a bug repellent while freeloading.

Seri took out several pieces of clothing from the wall shelves and lined them up on the desk one after another.

I've picked out clothes in your size, so could you choose from these? I'll go get the other necessary items.

Saying that, she briskly disappeared into the back of the shop.

Flora, about how many outfits do you think I need?

Let's see. It's summer, so maybe one to wear and two for a change of clothes? If you stay at an inn you can do laundry, and things dry quickly in this season. Also, short-sleeved shirts are fine, but you'll need a long-sleeved jacket to serve as both sunburn protection and bug repellent.

Saying "yes, yes," the clothes she handed me were khaki and beige colors I don't usually wear. Since they also serve as male disguise, pinks and oranges are rejected. For the trousers, considering we'd be walking through grass, we chose ones with a length that completely covered the ankles.

The colors lack charm, but please bear with it. But you know, the clothes here have a little embroidery on the sleeves and collars.

Ah, you're right. Vines and flowers, and is this one a bird?

Embroidery drawn in red, yellow, and vivid green seems to be a feature of this shop. That little one-point detail is apparently popular with young ladies. Also, she told me that they are all made of materials that are hard to wrinkle and dry easily.

Flora, I brought a whole set.

Seri plopped a handful of this and that onto the desk opposite us.

Raincoat and hat, rope and matches. Then if you have a pot you can cook, and here are plates, spoons, and forks. A dagger just in case. Will you be camping out?

The raincoat and hat are fine. Also, I don't think Ashren-sama will let her camp out.

Is that so. But you should take at least one blanket. It gets cold at night, you see. This one is thin but warm.

I was watching absentmindedly from a little ways away as Flora and Seri selected this and that. Can I really carry a backpack filled with that much stuff? I instinctively touched my own arm.

I suppose this is about it for now. Seri, please get us a backpack that can fit all this.

In that case, how about this? It might be a little small, but this is probably the limit for the young lady, and Ashren-sama will carry whatever doesn't fit anyway, right?

I nodded kokuri with awkward movements. I haven't gotten Ashren-sama's permission, but there's no way I can carry all of it.

I need to train.

It might be too late to start now, but it's better than not doing it. Flora narrowed her eyes gently as she looked at me, who was firmly solidifying my resolve.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>


Support Me