Chapter 3
Could It Be a
Promising Skill?
From my status numbers, I understood that I was weak. But if I'm going
to make it as a Dungeon Hunter, it isn't just about status. Skills
should be important, too. Even an amateur like me can imagine that much.
「Say,
Onee-san, just looking at the name of my skill, I don't really get it. How do
you check this? Maybe it's super strong, you know?」
My skill seems to be 『Ultra Hard Mode』. Just from this name, I have
absolutely no idea what kind of skill it is or what it does. But it's
"Ultra", after all. It does have a somewhat strong vibe to it.
「You should
just try actually using it.」
「Umm, is
there a way to use it? I've never used it before, though.」
「That's true,
since basically, skills only take effect inside a Dungeon. However,
since skills vary from person to person, I can't say for sure. If it's a common
pattern, it's usually a feeling of shouting or chanting the skill name in your
mind while facing a target like a monster normally.」
A feeling of unleashing a special move, huh. But I feel like my 『Ultra Hard
Mode』 is
different from that. Just a hunch, though.
「What other
kinds are there?」
「Even if you
ask me that... It truly varies from person to person. Categorically speaking,
what I just mentioned is an Active Skill, and one that is constantly
activating on its own without you being conscious of it is a Passive Skill,
I suppose. There are various others, but if it's just the basics, it's written
in the pamphlet, so you should read it. Look, it's on that bookshelf over
there.」
I see, well I guess I should just try it out myself. While I feel like
my skill has a strong-sounding name, it also seems different from an
easy-to-understand offensive skill. If that's the case, maybe I'm really not
suited to be a Dungeon Hunter.
「Hmm, what
should I do. In the end, it looks like my status is weak. If my skill isn't
offensive, it means I'm not suited for earning money in a Dungeon. This
is a real bummer.」
「Aoi-chan, you were saying something about wanting to make a killing, wasn't
it. Do you want money?」
「Yeah. I want
to earn just a little bit, but I have nowhere else to turn to. What should I
do, I wonder.」
Even though the young woman noticed my shabby appearance, it seems she
has no intention of getting involved in my personal circumstances. She could at
least pity me and treat me to a meal, though.
「You can't
earn money on the first floor, but do you want to level up or something? If you
raise your level and become able to advance to the second floor, you can earn
about enough for pocket money, you know. If you're extremely lucky, you might
even be able to get a drop item. Well, that's probably impossible, but if you
have nowhere else to turn to, why not try going for now? If it's just the first
floor of this Higashi-Nakano Dungeon, there's no particular danger.」
「Drop?」
「Aoi-chan, you really don't know anything, do you...」
The exasperated young woman taught me this and that additionally, gave
me complicated explanations, and made me sign a pledge. Along with that, I also
received a light lecture that felt like, "Is this really okay?" It
seems the lecture was simplified because I had taken a Dungeon Studies
class in middle school.
Well, I don't remember the class contents at all, but I wonder if that's
okay. Oh well. And so, I decided to try going to the Dungeon for now. I
want to test my skill too, and I have to earn some money.
「Ah, come to
think of it, I don't have a weapon or anything.」
「If it's the
monsters on the first floor, it's fine. You can defeat them by stepping on them
with your shoes.」
「Is that so?」
That's an easy win.
「They're
monsters that look like slightly large pill bugs, but Aoi-chan, are you
okay with bugs?」
「Piece of
cake. By the way, is there no one else here? Is this Dungeon deserted?」
「It's true
that this place isn't popular, but it's not like there's absolutely no one.
Besides, there aren't many people who enter starting from this hour.」
It's getting close to the time when the date changes, so I guess that
makes sense.
「However,
there might not be people entering, but there might be people coming out. Since
there are people who go down to deep floors and those who stick around until
right before the last train.」
「Ah, the
people returning. Well, whatever, I'll be going now for the time be... wait,
where do you enter the Dungeon from?」
「The Dungeon
is in the back over there. I don't think you'll get lost, but I'll also give
you a map of the first floor. Above all, you must not go to the second floor. Aoi-chan,
your status is weak, so even if you level up, if you don't prepare properly,
you'll die, okay? Even if your skill is strong, you can't let your guard down.
Also, lack of sleep is the great enemy of beauty, so don't overdo it~」
「Okaaay.」
It seems the entrance to the Dungeon is inside this building. On
my way there, I passed by a few groups of Hunters who looked like they
had just finished working. They're probably planning to go home in time for the
last train. Such hard-working people, staying until late. Perhaps they found it
unusual that I was trying to enter the Dungeon solo at this hour, as
they cast annoying, staring gazes at me. I don't really care, but what's wrong
with being a party of one.
As I proceeded while feeling slightly offended, I arrived in front of a large staircase extending downward underground. The hole gaping open in the ground was somewhat creepy. As expected, I'm a little scared. But here I go! Money, money, money!
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----