Chapter 2
Destiny of the Stars,
Power of the Soul
Even if I had a little knowledge about Dungeons, I had never
actually been to one.
If I recall correctly, in this country, people who explore Dungeons
are called 『Hunters』. With
advancing to high school being a narrow gate, as a profession that anyone who
is a legal adult of sixteen or older can become, being a Hunter is
definitely a viable option for me.
Having chosen Dungeon Studies in middle school, I remembered
learning that it was a dangerous profession where you fight monsters. Since the
magic stones obtained from Dungeons are an indispensable resource for
modern society, I should be able to expect a decent reward. Having not taken
the classes seriously, that was about the extent of what I remembered. But the
fine details don't matter.
What I want right now is just enough money to buy food. Since it's a
season where I don't have to worry about freezing, I don't mind sleeping rough
for a while. As long as I can earn the absolute minimum amount of money, that's
fine. Whether or not I can earn that money in a Dungeon, that's the only
thing that matters. After finishing the pilfered snacks in front of the police
station, I decided to immediately head to a nearby Dungeon.
In the heart of Tokyo, Dungeons exist relatively
everywhere, at a rate of about one every few train stations. Apparently, a long
time ago, many Dungeons spawned in densely populated areas, so I learned
that the more urban an area is, the more Dungeons it has. Fortunately, I
had an idea of a nearby Dungeon. If I go straight down this road, I'll
arrive there eventually.
As I absentmindedly walked down the deserted night street, I had arrived
at my destination before I knew it. This place, which looks vaguely familiar,
is apparently called the Higashi-Nakano Dungeon Administration. This is
it, there's no mistake.
「Hello in
there.」
Without being intimidated by the building's strangely oppressive
atmosphere, I passed through the brightly lit entrance and went inside. Inside
the bland, government-office-like building, there was absolutely no one around.
「Welcooome.」
A sleepy voice greeted me. Guided by that voice, I stood in front of the
counter. The young woman, who was probably just a bit older than me, had an
alluring charm, perhaps due to her ennui atmosphere and her trendy, semi-long
hairstyle that I didn't quite understand. On top of that, she had a beautiful
face. I hear Dungeons are cash cows, so do receptionists also have good
incomes? Tch, what a blessed woman.
「Oh, a young
girl. What brings you here at this hour?」
「I may look
like this, but I'm sixteen, an adult.」
I forcefully thrust out my freshly minted ID card.
「Is that so. Nagakura
Aoi Scarlet-chan, huh. I'll check your age with your personal number, so
wait a sec... Oh, today is your birthday. Happy birthday! Can I call you Scarlet-chan?」
「Thanks. But
if you're going to call me something, make it Aoi.」
Since it stands out weirdly, I don't really want to be called by my
middle name. There are people in this world who will pick fights with you for
reasons that make no sense, you see.
「Then Aoi-chan
it is. So? Don't tell me you're going into a Dungeon solo at this hour?」
「Exactly
that. I want to make a killing.」
「Make a
killing... but if today is Aoi-chan's birthday, this is your first time
entering a Dungeon, right?」
「Well, I
guess so.」
「Then you're
still Level 1, aren't you. Even if a Level 1 Hunter goes into a Dungeon
solo, you won't earn much, you know?」
「Magic
stones, right? If I get those, you'll buy them from me, right?」
「Everyone
calls them magic stones, but properly they're called soul stones. We do buy
soul stones even if they're absolute trash, though.」
Even though this is our first meeting, she's a rather overly familiar
young woman. Well, whatever.
「For now,
it's fine as long as I can earn enough for food.」
「Food money,
huh. But solo at Aoi-chan's level might be tough. Why not come back with
friends?」
「As if I have
any of those. But this is perfect, if you're free, teach me a bit.」
After asking about this and that in detail, it seemed the monsters that
appear on the first floor of the Dungeon are extremely weak, and the
magic stones that can be obtained are nothing but trash. Trash magic stones are
as small as beads, and a single piece is apparently worth less than 1 yen.
「Then, will I
earn money if I go to the second floor?」
「That's true,
but. Whether you can go solo or not depends on your level and status. By the
way, Aoi-chan, what's your status?」
「...Status?」
What on earth is that. Is it something I'm supposed to just naturally
know about? No, could it be referring to my social standing? As if I have
something like that.
「Ah, so we're
starting from there. The status I'm talking about is properly called 『Memories of
the Star Soul』. Everyone
just calls it status, though. Try flipping your ID card over and pouring magic
power into it. Your level and status will become visible there. Ah, make sure
not to show me. Because it's important personal information.」
Heh, so that's how it works. Now that she mentions it, I feel like I
might have learned that in class. I didn't really understand what it meant to
pour magic power, but when I held the ID card in my hand and vaguely exerted
effort with a hngh, I managed to do it. Various small letters were
displayed on the back of the card, which had been entirely black. This card is
pretty high-tech.
■ Memories of the Star Soul
Name: Nagakura Aoi Scarlet
Class: —
Level: 1
Vitality: 5
Spirit: 5
Attack: 5
Defense: 5
Magic: 5
Resistance: 5
Skill: Ultra Hard Mode
Class Skill: —
Blessing: —
「Looks like
you saw it. Ah, don't tell me anything other than your level and status, okay?
It's the absolute basics for a Dungeon Hunter, so make sure to remember
this.」
「It's better
to keep it a secret?」
「Information
about skills, especially. Some people dare to make it public, but it's safest
to keep it to yourself. If it's a remarkably strong skill, or a rare one, in
the worst-case scenario, you could get caught up in a crime.」
Ah, I remember learning something like that. If I recall correctly,
depending on the skill you possess, you could face discrimination, jealousy, or
even be targeted by weird secret societies. I think to myself are you for
real? but, well, I guess that's just how it is. Anyway, I understood that
it wasn't something to just blab about on my own.
「Hmm, well
whatever. For now, my status, right. Ummm, mine are all 5s.」
When I honestly told her, the young woman's cheerful smile suddenly
changed to a serious expression.
「I'm telling
you this for your own good, so give up on becoming a Hunter. Aoi-chan,
you're weak, so you'll die. Because having a status of all 5s is so weak it's
rarely ever seen. Most people average a 10 even at Level 1.」
Are you serious. That's only half. Am I really that weak.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Xavier O'Donoghue
Anton Lim
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Sébastien Dionne
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----