57
(Could it be…… I was used as a decoy
to catch the culprits!? Does this mean I was hated that much even from this
time!?)
Candice, including her past memories, had
become unable to think of things in anything but a bad direction. Rather,
should she consider it strange that she hadn't reached this thought until now?
And
she realized this later, but because Valentin was holding Candice,
who had been made to drink the paralyzing drug, his clothes were apparently
covered in drool once again. Because she couldn't put strength into her mouth
due to the drug, tears, snot, and drool had continuously flowed, making her a
sticky mess. Even when she went to his room for the first time, she ended up
dozing off and doing nothing but rude things like drooling.
(I haven't done anything to be liked.
Though, I
don't need to be liked anymore, so it's fine……)
Every
time she saw his face, she felt as if the thing she had locked away in the
depths of her heart, saying 『I want to be loved』, was aching. Completely unaware that Valentin had
sheathed his sword while firmly reminding Hugo, saying, 「Ensure you protect the Imperial Princess,」 Candice kept her face down in a gloomy
mood.
And
then, it was around the time three days had passed since Candice started
living in the Violet Palace. She was starting to miss the White
Palace. She learned for the first time that not being able to see Eva,
Rose, Arthur, and Jeanne was this painful.
(I wonder if Eva, Rose,
and Arthur are alright. Jeanne has a strong sense of
responsibility, so I want to reassure her quickly, but……)
As
Candice was fidgeting restlessly, Hugo, perhaps having heard
about Candice's state from the maids of the Violet Palace,
visited the room. Candice practically pounced on Hugo, asking if Eva,
Rose, and Jeanne were safe.
「I have explained the situation.
Everyone is very worried about Her Highness Candice, Imperial
Princess, you know.」
「I-Is that so……!」
Hearing
Hugo's words, Candice's face brightened up instantly. Had she
ever been worried about by anyone up until now? That they thought it was lonely
not being able to meet, just like she did…… she felt very happy about that.
However, with Hugo's next words, that enthusiasm cooled down.
「Also, we are currently checking the
guards and maids of the White Palace and making adjustments so that such
a flaw never happens again.」
「Eh……?」
「I hear they will all be completely
replaced.」
Hearing
Hugo's words, Candice's face steadily grew pale.
「Th-Does that mean…… what about Eva
and Rose? Does it mean the chefs will be gone too!?」
「Candice, Imperial Princess-sama?」
「I don't want to be separated from
everyone!」
「Even if you say that to me……」
As
Candice directed a clinging gaze at Hugo, Candice's
shoulders jolted because Valentin appeared soundlessly. However,
deciding that this was no time to be afraid just for now, she appealed to him
in the same way she explained it to Hugo.
Perhaps
understanding what Candice wanted to say, silence flowed after a brief
pause.
「P-Please! I want to be together with
everyone」
「……」
「Please……!」
「…………Do as you like.」
「Is that really alright!?」
「Yeah.」
As
Candice let out a breath of relief in reassurance, Hugo raised
his voice in surprise.
「Weren't you just saying earlier that
you would replace everyone in the White Palace!」
「…………」
Ignoring
what Hugo said, Valentin began to play by poking Candice's
cheek with his finger as if nothing had happened.
Coming to check on her like this, he would poke her cheek or watch her eat cake, and then leave. Without saying anything in particular, only the sound of him flipping through documents echoed. Not understanding the meaning of it all at all, Candice, while frightened, remained obedient and let him do as he pleased.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Taylor King
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----