[WN] The Evil Imperial Princess : 58


58

Candice was trying her best to be as obedient as possible so she wouldn't be killed.

Perhaps sensing something, Hugo let out a heavy sigh.

「Haa…… however, having hired bandits without even checking their backgrounds, the head maid of the White Palace will take responsibility and be demoted, returning to being a maid in another palace.」

She recalled the figure of the slender, young, bespectacled head maid. If you trace it back, her having hired bandits in the first place was likely due to Candice making a massive amount of maids quit. Thinking that it was her own fault, she felt somewhat apologetic.

「By His Majesty the Emperor's orders, we are currently thoroughly investigating the backgrounds of the people in the White Palace. Once their innocence is confirmed, do you mind if we return them to their original positions?」

「Yeah, that is fine.」

「Thank goodness……!」

Candice let out a breath of relief at the thought of being able to meet Eva and Rose again.

「Why did you act on your own accord?」

「That is……」

Candice hesitated at Valentin's question. She thought this might be a chance to tell him about the instructor and her mother, but Candice was hesitating.

(……I must not expect Otou-sama to make a move for my sake.)

However, being told to 「Speak」 once again by Valentin, Candice, yielding to that pressure, began to speak about the contents of her conversation with Duke Radziwill.

「Ojiisama said that unless I receive guidance from instructors and become perfect, he will not let me meet Okaa-sama. Besides, the people Ojiisama selected are, well…… there are a lot of them.」

Candice mumbled her words. Remembering the instructors the previous Candice had learned from made her shudder.

「I'm sure I would even lose the time to meet with Arthur.」

Remembering those painful days, Candice gripped the hem of her dress. Since she couldn't exactly say that she already possessed the knowledge, she tried to gloss over the conversation.

「That is why I thought I had to do something myself! But, thinking I would still be lacking in some areas, I felt I had to be taught by an instructor who wasn't prepared by Ojiisama, and while I was searching, it turned into this kind of situation……」

Even while Candice was saying so, Valentin's finger poking her cheek did not stop.

「Do you wish to meet your mother?」

At Valentin's question, Candice bit her lip tightly. She knows that she can no longer meet the mother she had previously wanted to meet so badly it couldn't be helped. For just a moment, sad feelings welled up, but Candice immediately shook her head side to side and brushed off such distracting thoughts.

「I don't think I can meet Okaa-sama. I'm sure Ojiisama wants to make it so that I cannot meet her.」

「…………」

「Because Ojiisama simply wants to use the prospect of meeting Okaa-sama as bait to make me act exactly as he wishes.」

Having realized Duke Radziwill's ulterior motives, she could no longer bring herself to obey. Hearing Candice's words, Hugo widened his eyes in surprise. Valentin directed his gaze to Candice's hands, at the hem of the dress she was gripping.

「Besides, Arthur does not have a mother either.」

「……!」

「Because Eva, Rose, Jeanne, and Arthur are there for me, I am already alright!」

Just as Arthur had Jeanne, Candice now had Eva and Rose. She thought that alone was enough.

「Besides, I must become a good Imperial Princess.」

「A good Imperial Princess, you say?」

At Valentin's words, Candice nodded.

「If things stay like this, I will be used by Ojiisama. In order to leave this country, I will become a good Imperial Princess!」

「…………」

「Moreover, I don't want to receive the death penalty, so if I become a good Imperial Princess……」

As Candice spoke little by little, Valentin's expression steadily grew sterner. Realizing her true feelings had leaked out, Candice hurriedly covered her mouth.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>