[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 443


Chapter 443

(Kyle Calendar Year 515: Age 22)

New Territory Policies

 

In the first half of the meeting, policies regarding the development of the former Kyle Kingdom's territory were shared, and it was arranged that they would be approved exactly as proposed by each person in charge. Well... it goes without saying that the progress and the grand scale of it all were far beyond what I had imagined. Miseri and the others seriously intend to pull it off, after all.

Ahem, then the first and half of the second of the policies Takuhir-sama mentioned have already been settled. As the one entrusted with the new territories, I cannot afford to be careless either. I will now report on the situation of the new territories.

Saying so, Raymond himself showed no signs of impatience, but rather seemed delighted by the active role of his beloved disciple (Miseri). He began to speak while pointing at a greatly revised map of the Demon Territory Dukedom displayed on the wall.



Honestly speaking, the current Demon Territory Dukedom, in terms of land area alone, has become comparable to the Kyle Kingdom. Before I knew it... But, of course, the contents haven't caught up at all. To begin with, these were places that were the outermost frontiers of the Kyle Kingdom and the Griffonia Empire, and the newly acquired territories of the four countries can also safely be called their respective outermost frontiers. Therefore, the number of nobles supporting them and the population are extremely small compared to the Kingdom. Thinking positively, it's vast land overflowing with room for development; one could even call it a frontier.

First, in proceeding with increasing food production, the most key area in the new territories is the Izumo district connecting Kusanagi and the former national border. As a workplace for the refugees accepted even during wartime, cultivation has been proceeded with on a grand scale here by laborers, primarily prisoners (currently dispatched laborers), after the expedition. Therefore, the cultivable land within the area, excluding fallow lands used as pastures, is mostly already cultivated or underway. However... this is completely insufficient.

That is certainly true. This semicircular land with a radius of twenty kils, named Izumo, is a place where irrigation canals were run in all directions and development was initiated from the very beginning of the Demon Territory Dukedom's establishment. By massively injecting laborers such as refugees and prisoners over the past few months, large-scale secondary development is underway. It's a tremendous rough estimate, but converting the entire land to the metric system, the area of the semicircle is (20km × 20km × π) / 2 = 628 square km. If half of that is cultivable agricultural land, it's about 300 square km, which is 30,000 ha. Converted by the harvest rate of this world, it seems it's still far from being able to provide for the increased population.

Increased military strength, including those who converted Ten thousand dispatched laborers (former prisoners) Immigrants from the Empire and Kingdom sides

Despite the population increasing to begin with, the farmlands and villages in the Former Empire Territory devastated by the invasion of the four countries are still in the process of reconstruction. Exactly as Raymond pointed out, this is completely short of the required amount. Just to support a population that has increased to the point where it's safe to say it's enormous, we will need cultivated land many times this size.

As the next stage, it is necessary to start working on the land that was Former Empire Territory beyond Kusanagi. One, to work on existing farmlands and raise the harvest rate. One, to newly cultivate large-scale cultivated lands. We have begun moving with these two points as the axes.

Raymond, specifically?

I believe we should first solidify our footing. One measure is to announce policies for existing cultivated lands, such as providing fertilizers including oyster shells for soil improvement, installing irrigation canals and arranging support funds, and if necessary, injecting the military or Mages as support measures. Starting from villages that raise their hands, we will sequentially expand farmlands and improve harvest efficiency.

Yeah, this is the flow of things we've been doing up to now, starting from Teigoon. Regarding oyster shells as well, they now continuously come in as trade goods through the Principality of Fearalt, and trade merchants from the Margrave of Model in the north are also coming to visit. At this meeting, as part of that, Virile, the former Viscount of the Uros Kingdom whom I scouted, has also officially migrated to the Demon Territory Dukedom, after all.

Virile, what is the situation regarding the procurement of oyster shells I requested?

Yes, the collection and commercialization of oyster shells in coastal areas are currently becoming largely segregated. First, regarding the Principality of Fearalt, they have received inquiries centered on the western frontier of the Kyle Kingdom in addition to the Demon Territory Dukedom, and it is expected they will place their footing there from here on out. If the national border highway connecting the Principality of Fearalt and the Empire is developed from here on, it is expected they will expand their sales channels to the Empire as well.

Hahaha, does that mean Brother Darek, who knows about oyster shells, is already utilizing them in his new territory? The Empire... I spoke about it to the then Third Prince and Sieghart before, didn't I?

The Margrave of Model is the same; currently the Demon Territory Dukedom is their main client, but they seem to be receiving inquiries from within the Kyle Kingdom, especially from the eastern frontier, so they will likely shift to making transactions there their core focus from here on.

Yeah, civil officials from Margrave Hamish's place had been coming for training for a long time, and they know the example in Teigoon, after all. Especially regarding the new territories of the former Istoria Imperial Kingdom, they said, If we don't work on it, we can only cultivate limited agricultural crops, after all. Are they trying to get serious and start moving?

Huh? In that case, aren't we in trouble?

Please rest assured. I am extending my hands to the Uros Kingdom side and the various countries of the Piette Merchant Confederation. The segregation I mentioned earlier is in that sense. So please do not worry. From here on out, the Demon Territory Dukedom will be able to buy up the largest amount of oyster shells at the lowest prices.

Hahaha, is this his souvenir? Moreover, after coordinating with various quarters and even managing the traffic control of sales channels.

Thank you, exactly as expected. I will prepare a place for you to fully wield your abilities from here on, so I'm relying on you.

In terms of agricultural policy, there are also the other things we've done in the Teigoon area, such as injecting the military during harvest time or injecting Earth Mages for plowing. If the numerous support measures Raymond mentioned are announced, we can also aim for the stability of public sentiment from the perspective of domestic affairs.

The other measure is to advance cultivation projects to establish about ten large-scale cultivated lands in the basin of the river on this side, in the former Empire territory beyond the checkpoint in Kusanagi. In the future, these will become major cultivated lands managed by soldier-farmers equally with Izumo. The initial stage of development will be brute-force work borrowing the power of Mages, but we intend to push it forward all at once as an urgent task. Since there are other pressing matters, we will make agricultural land development up to here the first stage.

Hahaha, this enormous project is the first stage, huh. If we convert the energy we've been injecting into national defense up until now into domestic affairs all at once, I feel like we can do it.

If you could grant your sanction on the basic policies regarding agricultural lands, may I next move on to the report on construction projects?

Yeah, regarding all of that, I want to approve Raymond's basic policies. I think it will be a tough project, but I will continue to entrust the management to you, so I want you to wield your skills as you please.

When I said that, Raymond nodded with a smile. To put it badly, it might sound like I'm dumping the whole thing on him, but conversely, relying on him and giving him full authority is something joyful for him.

Thank you very much. Then next, regarding the construction projects to be promoted by the Demon Territory Dukedom, we have planned as follows. This is the overview.

Saying so, Raymond also began distributing the documents he had prepared.

New Territory Construction Project Plan

  1. Organizational Structure

To implement construction projects in parallel with agricultural land development, a National Land Development Bureau managing and overseeing the development status of various regions will be established as a subordinate organization of the Lord of Internal Affairs, and Elan will be assigned as its Bureau Chief, granted authority equivalent to a Minister position. The following administrators will be placed in this organization to manage subordinate overseeing officers.

·         Bureau Chief (Overall Oversight and Managing New Territory Development): Elan

·         Deputy Bureau Chief (Mainly Managing Former Territory Development): Mary

·         Same as above (Mainly Managing New Territory Development): Sasha

·         Urban Development Administrator (Managing New Territory Development): Karleen

·         Same as above (Managing Former Territory Development): Laila

·         Agricultural Land Development Administrator (Managing Agricultural Land Development): Astor

·         Development Project Transport Administrator (Managing Construction Transport): Kaul

The National Land Development Bureau shall, in peacetime, have ten Earth Mages, ten Water Mages, and two Space-Time Mages uniquely held by the Demon Territory Dukedom other than the above individuals under its control, and be able to direct and operate them.

Since Balt, a Space-Time Mage, and Masrur, an Earth Mage, have separate orders, they are not included in the National Land Development Bureau. In addition, all Earth Mages, Water Mages, and Space-Time Mages constantly secured from the academy and elsewhere will also be under this command.

  1. Means of Implementation for Development

The Mages engaged in the development of various regions shall be adjusted in allocation each time through consultation between the Bureau Chief and Deputy Bureau Chiefs of the National Land Development Bureau. Similarly, the following laborers shall be placed under their command. Dispatched Laborers: 10,000 (Dispatch period is three years) New Territory Laborers: 20,000 (Scale will change depending on development status) Former Territory Laborers: 4,000 (Already secured through local employment)

  1. Implementation Items (Omitted for former territories)

Agricultural Land Development

  New Cultivated Land Development (Former Empire Territory)

  Support for Existing Farming Villages (Former Empire Territory) Urban Development

  Izumo District Area Construction Projects

  Redevelopment of the Outer Wall enclosing the Izumo Area

  Outer Wall Construction Project for the Planned Demon Territory Revival Site

  Highway Infrastructure Project for Bilateral National Borders

Whoa, it's super jam-packed. I knew about the establishment of the National Land Development Bureau because I was consulted beforehand, but the number of laborers is also extraordinary. Funds... will we be okay?

First, because the development projects are wide-ranging, we will integrate what was previously conducted on separate axes in the former and new territories. With this, we can organically utilize the core Mages, and have each person hold new authority.

That's right, before I knew it Elan has Minister treatment, and everyone else has gone up one rank from Overseeing Officer to Administrator. Especially Mary and Sasha have Deputy treatment, so they are Vice Minister class... Amazing.

The same applies to laborers. In the previous announcement, we had independently secured laborers in the former territories as well, but the Development Bureau will look after them in terms of budget. Furthermore, the ten thousand laborers dispatched as post-war reparations will mainly operate in the new territories. Also, in the Former Empire Territory, we are temporarily employing those who lost their fields and homes due to the invasion as laborers, but once a certain degree of development is in sight, we plan to prepare substitute farmlands as needed, reduce the numbers, and eventually cover it with only dispatched laborers.

So twenty thousand with that... I'm a bit relieved. Because to begin with, the salaries for twenty thousand laborers alone are enormous, and without savings, the national treasury would go bankrupt in just a few years.

By the way, what does urban development in the Izumo district mean?

Yes. To speak honestly, due to its location, it is impossible for Kusanagi to accept any more residents. Ultimately, leaving the Royal Castle, Government Office, Garrison Force, the main stores of major merchants, various warehouses like the Charity Granary, inns mainly for guests, and designated eateries and workshops, we will relocate general stores, inns and eateries for territory residents, residential areas, mass production bases, and everything else outside the city.

I see... It means making it a city possessing strictly only governance functions? And that leads to the urban development of the entire Izumo district?

We have secured sufficient width for the highway between Izumo and Termira, and we have deliberately refrained from agricultural land development along the highway. With this urban development, we will deploy residential areas for territory residents, general stores, and related facilities along this highway. In other words, the Izumo district itself, surrounded by the defensive wall on its outer perimeter, will become one giant city.

!!!

No... that's an unbelievably amazing story, you know? Even though it's a semicircle, I've never heard of a city with a diameter of twenty kils...

I believe the city of Izumo encompassing the Principality's capital Kusanagi will be befitting of Takuhir-sama's Royal Castle.

To me, who was surprised, Raymond remained in completely normal operation, though. And that connects to the redevelopment of the outer wall surrounding Izumo installed for defense, right?

Similarly, we will proceed with the construction work agreed upon with our allied nations. First, we will proceed with the national border infrastructure for the Empire and the Principality of Fearalt, and once we have prospects for that, we will stretch the outer wall surrounding the planned Demon Territory revival site. In our estimation, I think it will be a corresponding scale...

Right, regarding this area, we had only discussed it vaguely while still groping in the dark. I don't have the confidence to state definitively that it can be done without fail, either.

The final scale of the planned revival site is scheduled to be a corresponding thing. From east to west, starting from the western end of the new territory that existed before, passing through the north side that newly became the mercenary band's domain, extending to Count Durul's territory, I think the length will be about thirty kils. From north to south, starting from the foot of the Empire's side of the great mountain range separating the new territory and former Kingdom territory, maybe about five kils south.

Just the defensive wall constructed in a clamp shape toward the great mountain range is an outer wall with a total length of forty kils, you know. The scale is so large it's almost off-putting, but we already have the track record of constructing an outer wall of about 63 kils going around the outer perimeter of Izumo, after all.

Of course, at first we'll make a small area, an experimental area of about five kils east-west and five kils north-south, and see how it goes. Since development costs for this development only will be paid by the Empire, there being no budget burden is a saving grace, I suppose.

Yes, this is strictly a request from the Empire. As a long-held dream, they desired the Demon Territory—no, magic stones and monster materials, which can be called the blessings of the Demon Territory. Sieghart is also secretly proceeding with acquiring Mages within the Empire, and it's also for that purpose.

Then, including Takuhir-sama's words just now, is it alright to incorporate this into future plans?

Right. Regarding the bilateral national border infrastructure, it's profitable for us too, so it would be appreciated if you could proceed with it urgently. If I had to say, that's about it.

Then from me, regarding the final point on the agenda, I would like to discuss support measures for the two Margraves departing to new territories, and Marquis Gorman who will manage things until his son reaches adulthood.

Receiving Raymond's words, Chrisia and Yuka bowed their heads and then straightened their postures. Honestly speaking, at this current point in time, this part alone cannot be dumped entirely on someone else. To begin with, Alexis does not possess his own unique soldiers, civil officials, or vassal corps. Therefore, even if he obtained vast territory, he has to gather vassals from scratch. In Marquis Gorman's case, even if he dispatches soldiers and civil officials from his main territory, the new Viscount territory is large in scale to begin with. When governing it, large-scale replenishment is necessary, and with hastily gathered vassals, anxiety is endless. Margrave Falmus is the same. To begin with, he only held a Baron-scale territory and military strength. Compared to that time, he has obtained a territory easily over ten times larger, after all.

First, regarding competent civil officials to send to Alexis, I want Raymond to select several as well. Of course, the person's own wishes are the top priority, but could you consult regarding treatment, including Chrisia? Regarding soldiers, I will consider it here too.

Thank you for your consideration. I have received words from my father that he will send 500 soldiers and about 10 officials, but it is still insufficient, and I was feeling anxious.

First, I have a request for Claire. Regarding about a hundred people from the reception desk you trained in Ishtar and about two hundred from the vigilante corps, after confirming their own wishes, could you send someone over there to check if they can be sent to Alexis?

Yes. Right now, Administrator Camilla is taking command there in my place, so I will try recruiting through her.

Thank you. As soldiers led by Alexis, I will organize a thousand from those hailing from the Istoria Imperial Kingdom, and out of the three thousand Special Fire Corps, I want to entrust one thousand to him as Margrave army. With this, combined with Marquis Solis's soldiers, it's two thousand five hundred people, and two hundred from the vigilante corps. With this, can he manage to govern somehow?

Yes! If you are even allocating the Special Fire Corps, by all means!

I can't lose to a father considering his younger sister, after all. Once things settle down, Chrisia will also leave her post attached to the Lord of Internal Affairs (Raymond) and go to Alexis. The Longbow soldier prisoners we newly obtained in the three-country expedition total one thousand. Until now we had entrusted them to Glenn, but as a result, all of them decided to migrate, and thanks to King Crajyu's consideration, their families living in the four southern counties are also migrating to the Demon Territory Dukedom. To begin with, regarding immigrants who were Longbow soldiers... there were two thousand before the final decisive battle with the Empire, and three thousand who surrendered on the northern front, making a total of five thousand. Until now, three thousand of them were in the Special Fire Corps as full-time soldiers, and two thousand were soldier-farmers. Therefore, this time, I plan to replenish the number given to Alexis from soldier-farmers and prisoners from the three-country expedition, and maintain the fixed number.

The rest are commander-class human resources, but I've already obtained Raphael's consent and spoken to Reim too. Reim will assist Alexis as the captain leading the nine hundred Istoria Imperial Kingdom soldiers dispatched along with his former hundred subordinates.

To reward Reim, who accomplished infiltration missions all this time, I decided to promote him as a general.

Next is military strength support for Margrave Falmus and Viscount Gorman's territory. Yuka, have you heard anything?

Yes, I hear that for the time being, until governance stabilizes, my father himself will lead one thousand soldiers and handle governance. I also asked if I couldn't help, but... You are already the Archduke's wife, if so, you should pour your efforts solely into the great affairs undertaken by the Archduke, indeed! I was scolded loudly...

Hahaha, typical of Father-in-law... As a support measure I can provide, I plan to station the brigade led by Masrur at the place where the former Count Jark territory, former Vile Kingdom territory, and former Cain Kingdom territory intersect. Of course, only until governance stabilizes, though.

The brigade led by Masrur is entirely composed of people from the former Empire. Therefore, if they support from nearby, it should also help Margrave Falmus, who governs the former Count Jark territory. Of course, I'll increase the brigade to a scale of three thousand people, and have them exude presence as a corresponding rapid response force, though.

That is... an incredibly joyous thing. I'm sure my father will also be delighted!

If that happens, Margrave Falmus will probably also be delighted. Moreover, if it's stationed at the border, it will save face for both sides.

Just as Raymond says. I hadn't thought that far ahead, but both sides probably won't feel a sense of indebtedness thinking that soldiers were dispatched because they were viewed with anxiety.

Then, regarding civil officials, let's proceed with new recruitment, and proceed with preparations so we can recommend several people from here as well. There will likely be other things to handle as needed, but is it alright to establish the basic policies for support measures with this?

At Raymond's words, I nodded grandly. The rest is the contents raised on the agenda... to silently accomplish the basic policies that seem absurd from an outsider's perspective! We began to steer towards domestic affairs all at once.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>