[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 444


Chapter 444

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

A Banquet Celebrating the New Year, A Connected Future (Part 1)

 

Within the altered history, a year that unfolded with a completely different appearance came to an end, and a new year dawned. The year 515 of the Kyle Era, a year of unknown and major war, was one that greatly swayed my destiny as well, and it is very deeply moving that I was somehow able to safely weather this year too. That is not all. After the meeting that decided the basic policies held the previous year, large-scale public works projects began moving in various places throughout the Demon Territory Dukedom, resulting in an unprecedented victory boom and explosive growth in domestic demand. Perhaps due to that, at the annual banquet to celebrate the New Year and thank all the concerned parties, the number of people gathered in the grand hall of Kusanagi which served as the venue was also extraordinary. Well... the booming economy isn't the only reason, though. This time, due to various circumstances, the hosting period was pushed back by about ten days compared to usual. Furthermore, last year there were family celebrations (marriage announcements), so basically, the New Year's banquet was held only among family (the exceptions being the Marquis Solis family, the Marquis Gorman family, and the Viscount Bauner family). However, this time I couldn't say that, so I lifted the self-regulation around that. Thanks to that, the guest participation from other families was out in full force: four groups of official guests, two groups of guests who inexplicably invited themselves suddenly, and about five groups of guests from among relatives.

Then, in gratitude to the new year, to everyone who has supported the Demon Territory Dukedom, and to the guests who have traveled from afar, cheers!

「「「「「Cheers!」」」」」

Gratitude to Archduke-heika!

To the future of the Demon Territory Dukedom!

To our numerous victories!

To the departure of the new country!

Cups celebrating the new year were exchanged along with words of congratulation from everyone. Normally, it was an annual custom for the Commander to give the toast greeting at this banquet. But... This time, to avoid being rude to the official guests, I ended up taking on the role myself.

I believe there are those participating in this banquet for the first time. I will say this beforehand, but this banquet was devised by my mother, and it is also a venue for us to show our gratitude to everyone who has taken care of us over the past year. Therefore, from here on out, it will be a free-and-easy occasion. I ask that you observe minimum etiquette, but there are no hierarchical relationships. Everyone is the guest of honor; please join conversations without reserve, participate in turns including those serving as attendants, and by all means enjoy the food and alcohol.

After explaining the rules of the banquet anew, I myself descended from the platform and joined the participants. Doing so, immediately...

First of all, we express our deep gratitude to Archduke-heika for our ability to safely welcome the new year, and for granting holidays to the laborers we dispatched.

The first to come and greet me saying so were King Crajyu and Alicia-denka. Even after traveling to the Imperial Capital together, they have been coming to visit like this whenever they have the chance, but... Is it really okay for the King of a country to casually go out to greet a neighboring country? Especially at this time of year...

We are individuals whose lives were saved, and whose country and people were also saved, by Archduke-heika. Hearing from Miseri-sama that a banquet to express feelings of gratitude is held every New Year, we intruded because we absolutely wanted to offer words of gratitude to Archduke-heika.

No... Alicia-denka, that is wrong. The banquet is a venue for me to show gratitude, not a venue to show gratitude to me, though... Well, fine. It seems Alicia-denka and Miseri and Yoltia have remained connected even after that and have been exchanging letters, too.

Likewise, I offer my thanks anew to the two of you who have traveled all this way despite being busy with preparations of various kinds. I never expected you to stabilize the governance and solidify the country's foundation this quickly. Besides... next time, it will be our turn to rush over to celebrate the two of you.

These are my honest feelings. If anything, despite being excellent—no, precisely because they were excellent—these two were once shunned in their homelands. Therefore, even though they unified the countries, I thought there would be another wave of conflict with the old regime faction. Yet, these two—no, the three of them including General Golpa—managed to pull through it splendidly. And... shortly after the new year dawns, these two will officially become the King and Queen in all their glory.

To begin with, we had powerful backing, after all. Every single citizen is tremendously grateful to the liberation army that extended a hand, and to everyone in the Demon Territory Dukedom, starting with Heika. And the dissident elements within the country are trembling in fear at the might of Archduke-heika, who defeated numerous formidable enemies. However... there are still things left undone.

At my might? That's... not the infamy of Demon King, is it? Because I heard that in the Sura Principality and the Turncoat Kingdom, who were subjected to terrible experiences by my tactics, the nickname of Demon King is spreading as if it were true...

It is exactly as Alicia-dono says. Starting with the new territories bestowed by Archduke-heika's military might, your unparalleled activities in the Empire Territory and the anecdote of liberating the three countries with lightning speed are already heroic tales known even by the children in our country. We too are moving to begin the final touches.

Hero? That's not me. I mean... who spread such stories? To begin with, even when recapturing the Royal Capitals of the three countries, I only laid hands on the Cain Kingdom. The liberation of Lute and Vile is their own military exploit, you know? But still, what is things left undone and final touches?

Congratulations on welcoming the new year. I apologize for interrupting your conversation. Hearing that Crajyu-heika is attending this banquet, may I also be allowed to greet both Heikas?

The one who joined the conversation saying so was another guest who had experienced these free-and-easy gatherings many times by now, Marquis Flame. Because I had taught him beforehand that calling out like this is not a problem at this free-and-easy banquet. And he is also one of the official guests who had requested to participate in advance.

I had a message from my lord saying he wished to invite you all as state guests to the marriage ceremony to be held in the spring, let alone Archduke-heika, and I was entrusted with the invitations. In addition to that, I was also entrusted with a message that the Principality of Fearalt will dispatch an official envoy to the marriage ceremony of the two of you to be held soon, and that our King will also participate, albeit unofficially.

And because he was able to meet the next invitees here in Kusanagi and convey it directly including the unofficial talks, does that mean it saved him the trouble?

My! That is something to be thankful for.

I express my gratitude anew for Krugel-heika's consideration!

After the two bowed deeply, Alicia-denka smiled mischievously and began to speak again.

By the way, I wonder if it would be alright to welcome Krugel-heika as a state guest just like in the Empire after he visits?

Hahaha, she intends to utilize it politically right away. She probably intends to show off to the dissident elements within the country that the new King has backing from surrounding countries.

O-Of course. If you would receive him as such at the marriage venue...

Marquis Flame also had a slightly complicated face, but that can't be helped either, right. The visit itself is incognito, but appropriate courteous treatment will be necessary in an official setting.

My King also said this: If I can be of strength to my new friends, that is also my joy.』」

Hahaha, new friends, huh... In that sense, everyone who stands at the top of a country, starting with Heika, is lonely in a way. Once you become a King, there is no one you can talk to on equal footing. If there are people you can talk to without being conscious of political aspects... that in itself is precious, isn't it. I have self-awareness of being a hastily made King, and since I also have memories of being a commoner as Nishida, I somehow can't get used to their circumstances, though.

If so, I will hold onto the invitation for the Emperor-heika. This will save even more trouble, won't it. By the way, Heika says he will also dispatch an envoy representing the Empire to the marriage ceremony of the two of you.

There was a person who newly joined the circle of conversation here. That was none other than one of the sudden participants who appeared without prior notice, Sieghart, who is now a Marquis in the Empire. He had been sending a representative as the Kempurna Trading Company to the annual banquet every year, but to think he would participate as the representative himself this time...

Ah... well... I-Is that really alright? Th-Thank you very much!

The reactions of the three were varied. Marquis Flame seems to be at a loss for a reply, but that's reasonable. Because his role includes meeting and greeting the Emperor, after all. King Crajyu was feeling humbled, and Alicia-denka's eyes were sparkling, though. If an official envoy from the Empire is also dispatched to their marriage ceremony, the two will have been completely acknowledged by the Empire.

Normally, if I do not visit the three countries and directly convey my lord's words to greet you, I would be losing manners. Therefore, I would like to request it after greeting the Emperor-heika directly, but...

Of course, Marquis Flame's visit is welcome, and I am not recommending that you omit it. However, in a face-to-face setting, I think it will take the form of an official reply as the Emperor of the Empire, dispatching an envoy of congratulation. With various eyes and ears around, Heika won't be able to speak his true feelings, after all. Therefore, my offer is that I receive only the letter in advance and hand it to Heika privately.

I see! Then I will take you up on your offer and request you to do so. By the way, we are also making preparations to welcome the Emperor-heika privately. Including Sieghart-sama, of course.

Then we will be able to reunite in Feari with everyone we met in the Imperial Capital! And... we will also be able to visit the Demon Territory for the first time, won't we.

I mean, Princess, you're raising your voice happily, but you mustn't resemble that tomboy in strange areas, you know. Or is it because she had been isolated within the royal family of the Cain Kingdom for a long time and confined to the Royal Palace, that just going out somewhere with everyone is unbearably happy for her?

Also, Sieghart-sama, I would like to have a little of your time for a business consultation after the banquet...

Huh, Alicia-denka's expression changed a little? Somehow... it's a smile like she's plotting something...

Of course. I am also the representative of the Kempurna Trading Company, after all.

Saying so, Sieghart bowed respectfully to Alicia-denka. Could it be... regarding the catapults she ordered previously? Well, if it's a business matter, there's no need for me to stick my neck in...

Since it's a good opportunity, I also have a request for Archduke-heika. The two hundred elites to be dispatched from our country have completed their selection in consultation with General Golpa, and I have brought them along on this visit. We would like them to participate in the training at Aegis just like this...

Ah! That's right. I was also about to forget one of the important purposes for visiting this time. I have brought along the two hundred people from the Empire to participate in the training at the Demon Territory, so I will entrust them to you just like this. Please train them hard to your heart's content.

Sieghart's words, the part about one of the important purposes, catches my attention somehow. Are there still others? Somehow... I'm anxious.

From the conversation just now, it sounds like there are other purposes as well...

Excuse me! I heard something about the Demon Territory, and since this is a matter that concerns me as well, by all means, could you let me join the circle of conversation?

Tch, he covered my words with all his might as if seizing the perfect opportunity. Yes, this intrusion, which seems completely intentional, is of course the second group of unexpected visitors.

No, Brother... does this concern the Margrave of Hastburg as well?

At my words, my brother floated a mischievous smile. This is bad... this is the face my brother makes when he's plotting something.

Just as Archduke-heika says, in our country, the noble personage (Clarisse-sama) scheduled to marry in as a bride insisted on participating as a special envoy in the marriage ceremony of the King and Queen of Lute-Vile-Cain, and there was a dispute in the Royal Capital, you see.

Yeah, but that's an unreasonable story. It's impossible for an unmarried Princess awaiting marriage to a neighboring country to go as a special envoy, and to a completely unrelated country at that. So this time, my brother was appointed as the special envoy. Actually, this is another reason why my brother is participating in the New Year's banquet in Kusanagi.

So that person, in exchange for compromising on the matter of the special envoy, ended up saying she would go to the Demon Territory receiving an invitation from everyone along with her marriage to the Principality, and this time she wouldn't back down a single step, you see.

Huh? No one invited her. Rather, she was the one who brought it up! Somehow... isn't this flowing in a direction where I become the bad guy?

Regarding this, there was a direct request from the King-heika and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who were holding their heads in trouble...

King: I will grant the Margrave of Hastburg the duty of accompanying as a special envoy, and order him to guard the Princess outside the marriage venue. Minister of Foreign Affairs: You are one of the strongest swordsmen in the Kingdom, and moreover, as someone familiar with the Demon Territory, you would be perfect as an attendant (guard).

Having received such orders from the two of them, I have been assigned a new mission.

I mean, to begin with, Brother is the Margrave of the West bordering the Principality of Fearalt, so it's not unnatural for him to accompany Clarisse-denka's marriage journey, but rather a matter of course. If so, could it be... he just dared to collude with the tomboy and attached a plausible reason? No... it might just be my wicked guess, though. The developments are becoming too convenient for the parties involved, aren't they?

For that purpose, I have brought soldiers leading them to participate in the preliminary training as promised. This unit is led by my subordinate Viscount Errol serving as regular training as well, and it amounts to about one thousand cavalry, but...

One thousand cavalry! Doesn't that feel like about eight hundred cavalry too many? He's totally full of motivation to use this as a pretext to conduct training at the Demon Territory for his subordinate soldiers! He's even shrewdly brought Flora-sama along... Is this a vacation! I couldn't help but speak to my brother in a low voice.

Brother... you prepared something behind the scenes again this time, didn't you?

At those words, my brother laughed mischievously. Intentional after all?

The ones I led this time are centered around the former 6th and 7th units of the Frontier Knights who are used to the Demon Territory, and the ones participating from the Royal Capital Knights are also the two hundred who were formerly dispatched to the Demon Territory Knights. So they know the lay of the land, and I'll handle the training and stay expenses here, so I won't cause you trouble.

After saying that with a serious face, next my brother floated a slightly lonely expression.

This time even Father and Mother are participating, right? Even Chrisia is here, isn't it unfair that only I am left out? I wanted to show Mother the face of her grandchild, and I wanted to see my newborn brother's child, too.

Yes, the five groups of guests from among relatives are my parents the Marquis Solis couple, my uncle the Count Cornell couple, the newly appointed Margrave Falmus couple, and the Viscount Bold couple. In addition to that is Marquis Gorman, but he alone had been participating singly every year making some excuse or another perhaps to see Yuka, but this time he is participating bringing his family, starting with his wife, and Yuka's younger sister and brother. Before the banquet, I met his wife brought by the Marquis for the first time, and she thanked me with tears flowing that her son was able to establish himself. And... before I knew it, Brother had also become a father. Half a year after taking his post as Margrave, I heard the story that Flora-sama gave birth to a healthy boy, and I had also sent gifts, but this is the first time I'm meeting him.

Even so... it looks like it will become an amazing thing in Feari. I wonder if that fun night in the Imperial Capital will be reproduced?

No... Alicia-denka, please don't raise weird flags. Far from an amazing thing, it's obvious that with even my brother added, it will become an uproar like overturning a toy box. My head hurts just thinking about it... However... the astonishing events, the events that would connect to a new future, were to be the main favorite starting from here.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>