[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 445


Chapter 445

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

A Banquet Celebrating the New Year, A Connected Future (Part 2)

 

Around the time I was grandly holding my head in my hands inwardly at Alicia-denka's words, an event occurred that greatly shifted the direction of the banquet. It started when Sieghart, thinking the time was right, stepped forward before me with an innocent smile.

「Then, Archduke-heika, since your conversation seems to have settled, I will proceed with the 『other purpose』 you asked about earlier. I have brought words of congratulation addressed to Archduke-heika from my lord, Grat-heika, the Emperor of the Griffonia Empire.」

Saying so, he respectfully took out a piece of pocket paper from his breast pocket, and after bowing, began to read it aloud. Perhaps sensing something in his demeanor, the previously noisy banquet venue fell completely silent.

『Regarding the auspicious event of my sworn ally, the Westlights Demon Territory Dukedom, I offer words of congratulation from the bottom of my heart. I bless the birth of the two Princesses-denka from the bottom of my heart, and pray that they grow up healthy. Hoping that when they grow up, they will become new bridges connecting the future Empire and the Principality...』

「「「「「Ooooooooh!」」」」」

At these words, the venue was enveloped in a loud cheer. No... when did he find out? Claire gave birth to a baby girl two days after Anne gave birth, and not even three weeks have passed since then! I was planning to make the official announcement at this banquet, so I thought only a portion of the people involved knew, but... I was intending to introduce the two infants, Renka and Hanano, whom Anne and Claire were holding while participating, during the middle closing, but... the schedule has gone haywire. Moreover, to have the added prestige of having their births celebrated directly by the Emperor of the Empire so soon after being born...

「My lord, the Emperor-heika of the Griffonia Empire, has brought ten thousand Imperial Gold Coins each and gifts for your wives to celebrate the birth of the Princesses-denka. Please accept them.」

Saying so, Sieghart presented a catalog, but... Don't tell me this is an advance payment of betrothal money? I haven't said I'm giving my daughters away yet. It goes without saying that I was made to feel like a father sending off his daughters so soon after celebrating the birth of new lives.

「Congratulations! I offer my heartfelt congratulations on behalf of Krugel-heika. Now, we too will immediately send an express messenger to our country and fetch words and articles of congratulation, so please wait a moment, just a moment! To be forestalled by the Empire... this is a major crisis for our country!」

No... I clearly heard the words Marquis Flame muttered at the end in a great panic, but still. Come to think of it, Clarisse-denka had raised a massive flag before. King Crajyu and Alicia-denka, who had been visiting Kusanagi quite frequently, knew the circumstances around that well, after all. One week after the birth, General Golpa had visited as a congratulatory envoy, but still... Isn't everyone being a bit too sensitive?

From then on, the banquet transformed from a venue where we thank everyone to a venue celebrating the birth of the two. Of course, let alone my father doting on his grandchildren, my mother caring for the two who had just given birth, and Chrisia wanting to hold the babies, it goes without saying that it was a venue where the whole family gathered together for the first time in a long while. And... at the end of the banquet, there was also a surprising report.

「Archduke-heika, for someone like me at a banquet like this...」

「We apologize for our personal matters amidst your precious time...」

「Hm? Mark and Sean, what's wrong with both of you being so formal?」

「「We are terribly sorry!」」

They suddenly prostrated themselves, but what does this mean? I have absolutely no idea what they're apologizing for, though?

「Jeez, you're pathetic at the important moments. Where did the momentum from when you were condemning the 『Harem Baron』 at the academy go?」

「That's right! Even though you were so gallant protecting us on the battlefield...」

Behind the two of them were Mary and Karleen... Eh? Don't tell me... is that what it is?

「The precious person Heika calls a 『companion』... p-please give her to me!」

「I-I will protect her even at the cost of my life!」

No, I'm not their father, you know? It's barking up the wrong tree to apologize to me.

「Well done. I would like to report to Takuhir-sama that I will be marrying Sean.」

「I too will be officially uniting with Mark-san, and would like to report it to Takuhir-sama.」

Hahaha, even just looking at this scene, a future where the two are henpecked by them is certain. Well... I've had a long association with them since the early days of summoning Mages. So I think it's inevitable that the temperature difference when confronting me is clearly different, but still.

「First of all, let me say congratulations. Right now, because of their positions, I think they're unnecessarily nervous, but at the academy, they were fine men with spirit, you know. They are irreplaceable and precious companions to me. Please be sure to make the two of them happy.」

「Of course!」

「I swear and promise!」

「Then I have nothing to say from my end. Don't forget to report to Claire and Yoltia too.」

Yes, I don't know where or what happened, but it seemed they took a liking to that foursome and were looking after them in various ways. I can understand Yoltia, who has direct involvement with Mark through the firing control of the magic cannons, but Claire was a mystery, though.

「Yes, we consulted with the two of them beforehand!」

「We intend to go report to them anew from here on!」

「Fufufu, both Claire-sama and Yoltia-sama are not just superiors to us, but like older sisters. So our side has already reported it, you know.」

「Right. We've heard everything from the beginning, even when they were endlessly consulting, saying things like our statuses are different.」

「「Wha!」」

At Mary's words following Karleen, Sean grandly, and Mark slightly, froze up. It's true that Sean had been devoted solely to Mary since their academy days. That's why he had complicated his feelings towards the 『Harem Baron』 even more. I had heard from Yoltia that Mark had protected Karleen by throwing himself in front of hellfire of fire magic unleashed by the First Prince's side during the offensive and defensive battle at the Big Bridge.

「Well then, you men who were called pathetic by your wives, go report and say your thanks to the two of them manfully to redeem yourselves.」

「「Y... Yes, sir!」」

I watched the backs of the two men while suppressing my laughter. And then... this time, another official guest, Count Durul, appeared to greet me.

「It seems I've been forestalled by them. I've come to present myself to celebrate the new year of departure anew, and to formally make a request to Heika.」

Saying so, the Count bowed deeply, and beside him stood Rosa. Yeah... does that mean things wrapped up nicely in the end? I had heard that during the battle with the three countries, the Count threw himself into the fierce battle without regard for his life and saved Rosa and the others...

「I am fully aware that it is an incorrigible story for someone like me, much less a person of the Empire, to beg to receive someone who is Heika's precious companion, and furthermore the 『supreme treasure』 of the Demon Territory Dukedom. I firmly promise that I will not hinder Rosa-dono's mission. Having said that, I wonder if she could be bestowed upon me...」

「And... are you fine with that, Rosa?」

It's true that she is no longer just my companion now. She has the position of an Honorary Bishop of the Kyle Kingdom, and I hear she has been recommended as a Cardinal due to her achievement in striving to acquire the Church Territory this time. If so, she's in a position where she can't easily say she's marrying into the Empire.

「Yes, I made up my mind not just because he saved my life. Durul-sama has earnestly listened to my words since before that, and has been running around to save many lives on the battlefield. Besides...」

After saying so, Rosa looked down slightly and blushed. Did something else happen too?

「Despite Count Durul once being bestowed a large territory in the new southern territories of the Empire by the Emperor-heika due to his achievements on the northern front, he declined it and requested a neighboring territory so that I could serve Takuhir-sama. To think he would care for someone like me that much...」

So there was such a behind-the-scenes story! I didn't know... It's true that Count Durul has been a pro-faction of the Third Prince for many years, and the territory he was bestowed in the awards ceremony within the Empire is quite small compared to Sieghart and Marquis (former Count) Astray, who were in similar circumstances. I had completely thought it was intertwined with the Demon Territory revival, but was the truth different... I mean, isn't Count Durul too 『handsome』? If someone did that much for you, anyone's heart couldn't help but be moved, right?

「Yeah, for my part, I will bless you from the bottom of my heart. I'm very happy that Rosa will continue to serve me, but don't push yourself. By the way, was the church convinced?」

If Rosa, who is about to become a Cardinal now, suddenly marries into the Empire, it would be a major problem for the church. I intend to cooperate and lay the groundwork (threaten) if necessary, but still. By granting the Church Territory in this incident, I have a corresponding say, too.

「Yes, Crebalus-sama, who newly became the Archbishop of the Central Church, said he will lend his power. Since he was attending this banquet, I consulted with him earlier, and he readily consented.」

With this statement from Rosa, Archbishop Crebalus and Cardinal Grace were standing there before I knew it, floating smiles across their entire faces. They were exactly the fourth guests whose participation I had been informed of in advance.

「In accordance with our long-standing promise, Archduke-heika has granted us the Church Territory, which was our long-cherished wish. Rosa-dono's achievements are also very great; if it is something of this level, I will gladly be of assistance.」

「I am of one body and soul with Archduke-heika since my days as a priest in Teigoon. What should be prioritized is Archduke-heika's will and the 『profit』 of the Demon Territory Dukedom. I will not let the snobs at the center say no.」

Prioritizing the 『profit』 of the Demon Territory Dukedom, or calling the Central Church 『snobs』... Hahaha, Cardinal Grace declared it handsomely too. Because the purpose of these two participating in the banquet was to express their gratitude for me granting the Church Territory. The former Priest Grace had also been promoted from a Cardinal of a regional church to a Cardinal of the Central Church, and had achieved a major promotion, now bringing all the churches of the Demon Territory Dukedom under his umbrella.

「If so, there are no worries. We too will gladly bless you. Have you reported this to Claire and the others?」

「Yes, I consulted with Claire-neesan variously beforehand, and had her lend me her strength!」

「......」

Yeah, I knew it. I was the very last one, huh... Considering my largely changed position, it's a matter of course if you say it's a matter of course, but I feel somewhat lonely, you know.

The closing of the banquet on this day came to an end in a form where I introduced the three newly born couples to everyone, and everyone blessed their departures. Mark and Sean, who won the unattainable flowers, were relentlessly teased by Raphael, Mizel, Hyman, and the others, and were made to drink alcohol until they collapsed at the end, though. I wanted to participate as a former schoolmate too, but if I go to offer alcohol, it's complete power harassment. In that sense, exactly as Krugel-heika and King Crajyu say, those who stand at the top are lonely, aren't they. Feeling gladness and a tinge of loneliness, I welcomed the new year.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>