Chapter 450
(Kyle Calendar Year 516:
Age 23)
Wedding Ceremony ③ The Marriage Banquet
The day after we visited Feari, a grand wedding ceremony was
held in the Fearalt Principality. From the morning, free sake was given
out in various places in the Royal Capital, and cups celebrating the marriage
were exchanged throughout the entire city. Meanwhile, at the Royal Palace... an
event occurred that astonished everyone present.
「The Fearalt Principality and the Kyle Kingdom, two
countries once connected to the bloodline of the first King Kyle, will
welcome a new departure on this very day. To celebrate this, I would like to
introduce the guests who have traveled from afar! From the Griffonia Empire,
Emperor Grat-heika has graced
us with his presence!」
「「「「「Ooooooh!」」」」」
As expected, the authority of the Emperor of the Empire is
absolute. The Fearalt Principality has never directly engaged in war
with them, and until now, they were in a relationship where not even trade was
conducted, but all the attendees were astonished and unintentionally raised
their voices.
「My friends... I would like to congratulate the two of you once again on
forging a new connection on this day. The King is not only a friend but also a
benefactor who pushed through danger from afar to rush to the battlefield and
saved the Empire from its predicament. I have come here wishing to pray
for the prosperity of both countries in the future and to forge a new
friendship.」
At these words from the Emperor, the venue fell silent for a moment
before a thunderous applause echoed. Well... I suppose that makes sense.
Because the Principality, which had once developed into a civil war due to the
defection of many domestic nobles, had gained the absolute backing of the Empire.
「Next... the hero of national salvation, unrivaled in valor and
resourceful in strategy, who saved our country from its predicament: Archduke Takuhir-heika of the Westlights Demon
Territory Dukedom!」
Tch, who was it! Who gave me such an embarrassingly polite title. Are
you trying to kill me with praise? It sounds even more hollow coming after the
Emperor, and what am I supposed to do with this dead silent atmosphere! Until
recently, I had the status of Margrave treatment, and having visited the
Principality in that position, my 『small-fry vibe』 was off the charts. They must also be bewildered about how to react.
「Krugel-heika, Clarisse-denka,
congratulations from the bottom of my heart on your marriage. As someone who
stood shoulder to shoulder on the battlefield with both of you, I congratulate
you anew as the two of you have become the bond of friendship between our two
countries.」
「My friend, the Archduke is the benefactor to whom this country should
be most grateful, having supported us as a friend and as a good neighbor. Truth
be told, he is also the leading actor of this very day who brought me and
Princess Clarisse together! Once again, the two of us offer our
heartfelt gratitude.」
「「「「「Ooooooh?」」」」」
As the King and Princess stood up together and bowed their heads again,
a loud voice erupted in the venue. Added to that was a delayed thunderous
applause... Somehow, I feel like I made the two of them act considerately
toward me.
※
After that, the introductions of King Crajyu and the special
envoys of each country continued, and the ceremony transitioned straight into
the wedding rites, and then from the formal dinner to the banquet, but we were
acting freely to some extent. Partly because the banquet was a casual standing
buffet, many people gathered around the renowned Emperor of the Griffonia
Empire, and it was the same around the King and Queen of the Lute-Vile-Cain
Kingdom, who were novel guests. Or rather, Queen Alicia, who was used
to such occasions (?), softening the surroundings and creating a harmonious
circle of conversation was likely one reason.
「Somehow, I... feel out of place and am getting timid...」
Saying so, Miseri let out a big sigh many times, but even now, I
feel the exact same way. Conversely, I'm thankful that the three of them are
here so I'm not a loner.
「Come to think of it... I feel like the number of nobles has decreased
considerably compared to before?」
Indeed... Yoltia had participated in the special envoy welcome
banquet with me previously. Compared to that time, the number of fully dressed
people who seemed to be nobles had decreased to less than half, and conversely,
those clad in full military dress uniforms stood out. Both groups were looking
at us from a distance, but very few came to talk to us.
「But... the one who enjoys this place wins! Since we're here, let's just
enjoy ourselves with the four of us.」
Yuka, who was the youngest and a noble to the
core, took it positively and tried to enjoy it from the bottom of her heart.
Well, she alone... has a deep connection with Clarisse-denka and used to go in and out of the
Royal Palace of the Kyle Kingdom, after all. In terms of being used to
these occasions, she might even surpass me.
「Archduke-heika, amidst this precious flower garden... may I also be allowed to
intrude?」
The one who joined the conversation after excusing himself was the
Commander of the First Royal Guard Division, clad in the formal dress of the
Royal Guard Division. I had accompanied him during the Royal Capital recapture
operation in the past, and since he led the escort unit when I went to Salaam
after that, we are somewhat acquainted.
「Hahaha, please don't hesitate. It seems I'm being hesitant... no, being
kept at a distance.」
At those words, the Division Commander immediately shook his head. Eh?
What does that mean?
「When you came as a special envoy of the Kyle Kingdom previously,
there was rudeness regarding the Princess accompanying you, and after that,
every noble knows the story of the fools who touched Archduke-heika's reverse scale and were
punished. Since you are accompanied by three beautiful Princesses, they are
just bewildered about how to address you.」
Ah... I forgot. I had snapped and completely bought the fight the
nobles picked with me. Even now I don't feel bad about it, and I think it was a
natural response, though.
「As expected, it took courage for me to greet you as well. Those who are
not acquainted with Heika are merely bewildered about how to call out to
you. Also, they fear interrupting while you are getting along harmoniously, so
as not to repeat the same mistakes as last time.」
「Fear? Me...?」
「Yes, the speculations of the nobles include fear, jealousy, and complex
feelings. The fear isn't just about the overwhelming aura you showed at that
banquet; your splendid skill in subjugating Klimt, annihilating the
rebel army, and recapturing the Royal Capital, Archduke-heika's martial valor resounds even in
our country.」
I see... I (and the Western Area Army) annihilated tens of thousands of
the rebel army completely, and during the recapture of the Royal Capital, I
threatened the main body of the rebel army saying 『Shall I massacre you all?』
「In addition to that, the nobles are jealous of Archduke-heika's popularity in our country. It
seems they were also astonished by the people's enthusiasm when Heika
came to Feari this time, and since you are accompanied by beautiful
Princesses again now...」
No... that was Harim and Zahark's doing, and I feel it's
far from my true popularity. But I somewhat understand the latter half. I was
always called the 『Harem Bastard』 at the academy and was completely unpopular, especially among the
underclassmen, after all.
「Thanks to Archduke-heika,
many nobles perished, misrule was abolished, and the citizens' lives improved.
This is also a fact. However... a portion of the nobles who can no longer suck
sweet nectar are probably feeling somewhat small.」
I see. If national politics are reformed and good governance is laid
out, domestic nobles will also have to steer in that direction. Also, the
national custom of prioritizing Mages was reformed. The instigator who created
that trigger was me, and I myself am a non-Mage. Does it mean there are also
those who harbor hidden feelings toward me?
「Among them, there are those who maintained neutrality and did not
participate in the rebel army, but still lost relatives. Even if they
understand in their heads that subjugating the rebel army was correct, they
harbor unresolved feelings in their hearts. Precisely because the brunt of
those feelings was directed towards Archduke-heika, our country was able to stabilize quickly.」
「Hahaha, so I played the perfect villain role, is that it?」
「That is precisely why I believe our King dared to offer heartfelt words
of gratitude when greeting you. Even though he did not do so for anyone else...」
That's certainly true. Since guests were appearing one after another at
that venue, although the King and Queen stood and bowed at each person's words,
they did not offer return addresses. Not even to the Emperor of the Empire...
Somehow... I had been feeling a bit hazy, but many things have cleared up. I
must thank him anew for telling me. When I thought so, people were starting to
gather around me one after another. I see, he dared to break the ice for me,
didn't he? As expected of someone appointed by King Krugel as the
successor Division Commander, he seems to understand the subtleties of the
human heart as well.
After that, we were also able to truly enjoy the banquet. Just a little
bit... some 『unnecessary information』 also reached my ears, and there were scenes where not only all of us
guests but even the bride and groom joined the circle. For now, my job as a 『state guest』 has settled down with
this. The rest... is a more difficult problem, though.
※
The wedding rites ended without a hitch, and the wedding banquet, which
was the final event of the day, also concluded. From here on out, it would be
unrefined talk, so we decided to return to our lodging at the detached palace
early, but... I wandered out to the courtyard alone and began to walk amidst
the lanterns beautifully and fantastically illuminating the garden.
「I didn't go down to the courtyard last time I came here. Somehow...
it's a shame I don't have a camera. Such a scenery... the old me (Nishida)
would have been engrossed in pressing the shutter for hours.」
The surrounding lanterns were beautiful, but true to the name of the
Water City Feari, waterways were drawn everywhere, and that water poured
into small ponds set up in a gentle staircase pattern, flowing down the stairs
to the next pond one after another. It was a sight like looking at a fantastic
pure white terraced field, as if the Hundred-Plate Terraces of Akiyoshidai were
made much larger. The lanterns placed everywhere bloomed like flowers on the
water's surface, and the palace illuminated by bonfires was reflected in it.
「It was worth coming to preview this today; I have to show this scenery
to Miseri, Yoltia, and Yuka too... I heard the lanterns
will be lit for tomorrow's dinner party as well, maybe I should ask the three
of them to bring clothes that are easy to move in to change into.」
It was when I was muttering such things. Footsteps could be heard
pattering from behind, and Marquis Flame came flying over with a changed
expression.
「Archduke-heika, please, please wait!」
「Ah, sorry, sorry, it was just so beautiful. I apologize for coming out
to the courtyard without permission, but I'll walk back as is. Please don't
mind me.」
「Please let me mind you! For your return, please use the carriage we
have prepared! Furthermore, the guards and Princesses are also waiting for you
there...」
Sorry... did I not tell you? I thought it would be too much to make the
women (Yuka & Miseri & Yoltia) in dresses walk, so
I had them return a step ahead by carriage.
「It's fine, I already had the carriage depart, and I'll walk back just
like this for a stroll.」
「A, a stroll... huh?」
Yeah, I'm not completely alone, either. Why are you raising your voice
so strangely high? Carla is with the women, and behind me, Sigur
and several guards are following unobtrusively, neither too close nor too far.
Moreover, when I left the palace, I was carrying a real sword, even if it was
for ceremonial use.
「So please don't mind me...」
At my words, Marquis Flame made a troubled face as if to say 『You too?』, but I'm different from the King of a
certain Principality. This is inside the Royal Palace where the unit led by the
First Royal Guard Division Commander I spoke to earlier is laying out strict
security, and it's not a town tavern.
「B-But...」
「King Krugel's governance is perfect now, right? I had a good
talk with the Royal Guard Division Commander today too. So I can also enjoy my
stroll with peace of mind. That's what it means.」
Saying so and starting to walk, for some reason, several figures from
behind... It's probably just guards the worrywart Marquis Flame attached
to me... Thinking so, I continued to walk without looking back. The distance to
the detached palace assigned as my lodging is not even 1 kil, so it's a short
walk. Then, after proceeding for a while, I turned around thinking "Good
grief"... For some reason, Sigur had a bewildered expression. And
behind him...
「!!!」
I unintentionally froze in surprise.
「Umm... I believe the detached palace where the Empire's people's
bedchambers are located is in the opposite direction?」
Why are the Emperor and a smug-faced Sieghart following behind
me? No, that's not all. The direction is the same, but the detached palace
where King Crajyu is staying is different, and the detached palace where
my brother and Knight Commander Gouras are staying should be in a
completely different direction. Why are you all following along in a bunch like
a 『tour group』?
「What, Marquis Flame was at his wit's end. We're just
accompanying you as Guard Captains. Even so, Archduke-dono is quite a bold person to enjoy a stroll in the Royal Palace
of another country.」
Following Emperor Grat's words, each of them continued.
Sieghart: 「I'm... the guard of the Guard Captain, though.」
King Crajyu: 「I heard Archduke-heika was looking at something with
deep interest, and became curious...」
Margrave Hastburg: 「It is my duty to secure
the safety of the guests and protect them.」
Knight Commander Gouras: 「Please, I
beg you...」
「It sounds as if you're saying... it's completely my fault?」
「Hahaha, I thought you had self-awareness after what the wives said in
the Imperial Capital.」
「......」
Feeling a bit awkward, I couldn't argue back any further. And just like that... for some reason, leading everyone, I returned to the detached palace where I was staying. You're just going to have another banquet like this, aren't you? Giving up with that thought... However, at this point, I—no, we—were completely unaware of a 『certain thing』 that had been orchestrated ahead of us.