[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 453


Chapter 453

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

A Disturbing Honeymoon ① A Meaningful Boat Journey

 

The day after the marriage ceremony of the King and Queen of the Fearalt Principality concluded, we were on a ship descending towards Salaam.

『The King and Queen will tour the Principality together with representatives from various countries, to guide Queen Clarisse around the Principality and show the Principality's majesty to the representatives.』

It seemed that outwardly, it was announced in this way. After all, we couldn't possibly say, even if our mouths were torn open, that the heads of state of three countries were accompanying the King and Queen. Therefore, we, the state guests, were supposed to have returned to our respective countries after the marriage ceremony ended, and the majority of the military forces we led had also returned home. Only the military force from the Kyle Kingdom was accompanying them because they 『happened』 to share the same return route.

「Even so, a leisurely boat journey is not meant to be, is it?」

On the deck of the ship descending the great river, I let out a big breath while looking at the shores on both sides. This river continues from south of Feari to the sea, but its width is very broad, and it seemed to be easily three hundred mels to the opposite shore. The ship was proceeding leisurely closer to the right bank than the center, but...

「That's right. Because the shores are continuously guarded by an imposing military force. Would you say this is also the result of the newly conducted construction?」

「In that case... does the road on the right bank continue all the way to Salaam? I feel a bit sorry for those proceeding by land...」

Thinking I'd enjoy the peaceful rural scenery a little, I invited Yoltia and Yuka out to the side of the ship, but a continuous military force of guards stretched endlessly along the shore on the right bank.

「Yeah, according to Marquis Flame's explanation, it will eventually connect to the sea. Since it's a VIP party this time, the Royal Guard Division who knows the circumstances seems to be having a hard time too, huh?」

They are proceeding along the newly built highway along the river in preparation for any unexpected attacks. Moreover, the highway is crowded with those finely divided into units running parallel to the ships, and those moving ahead to stand guard at night. The soldiers mobilized for security on the land route are twenty thousand cavalry from the Principality and two thousand cavalry from the Kyle Kingdom handling that duty, so I suppose the confusion on the highway can't be helped, though. Because such a military force was coming and going, the scenery visible from the side of the ship had an imposing atmosphere just like a battlefield.

「Certainly, it's not a leisurely... trip with this. Still, for me, it's my first boat journey, and it's very enjoyable. I feel sorry for Miseri-san, but...」

It might be just as Yuka says. Yoltia, while accompanying me to battlefields, had also descended to Salaam by ship before, so compared to that time, she probably feels a sense of incongruity like I do, but since it's Yuka's first time, it must be fresh for her.

Incidentally, Miseri is in a cabin having a face-to-face meeting with civil officials from the two countries, the Principality (Fearalt) and the Empire (Griffonia). They are working out the details regarding the allocation of the newly constructed national border highway and the city set up along the way among the countries, and commercial agreements for making it a tax-free city. Normally, these were scheduled to be done in Feari, but if possible, I wanted to show Miseri the city of Salaam too. After all, the civil officials she raised are still playing active roles there, and I thought she'd want to see them in action. Therefore, as my selfishness, I had the civil officials from the other parties accompany us and conduct it on board during the outbound journey.

「There's no need to feel sorry. Right now is a battlefield for Miseri, and once we arrive at our destination, it will be our turn to head out to the battlefield. We'll have her rest leisurely in Salaam.」

Miseri, who is neither a Mage nor a warrior, cannot accompany us on the hunt in the Demon Territory, after all. Similarly, Queen Alicia is also supposed to spend time in Salaam during the hunt, so the two good friends can enjoy sightseeing.

「However... that's not the only reason I can't calm down.」

As I said so, lively laughter echoed from the gazebo set up on the bow side. Yoltia and Yuka, who realized what I meant, also smiled bitterly. Because... originally, ten ships were prepared for this boat journey, and the representatives of each country were supposed to board separately, you know? So why did all the leaders gather on the ship I'm riding! With this, if this ship were to sink due to some unforeseen circumstance, the leaders would be wiped out! There's no point in dispersing the risk! I mean, how lonely can you get!

It started with a conversation just before departure.

◇

When returning to Salaam, I called out to Halim, the head of the Tia Trading Company, and Zahark, the Acting Governor of Salaam, who took the trouble to travel to Feari.

「I'm sorry we couldn't take our time even though you took the trouble to come to Feari. Instead, since we'll be using a ship for the journey to Salaam, I thought we could listen to your reports leisurely on board... would you mind? Of course, we've secured space to accommodate a corresponding number of people and some luggage.」

「Of course, a triumphant return with Archduke-heika will make our companions envious. The heads of the various organizations formed in Salaam have also been brought along, so please let us greet you anew on this occasion. Those guys will be deeply moved too!」

「Understood. I also wanted to hear about the new trade route that I heard about from Yoltia-sama. To be able to board the same ship as Heika and the Princesses will be a great story to tell the fellows back home.」

However, there was a person who, for some reason, was listening to this conversation right beside me. I mean, since he was normally and casually wearing the military uniform of the Royal Guard Knights, even I didn't notice him.

「That sounds good. The boat journey that time was very pleasant and stimulating. Could I also be added to the drinking party?」

「Eh?」

「Ah? Brother! No, th-th-th-the King-heika!」

「......」

Are you okay, Halim, you look like a chicken? Zahark, who had never met 『Brother』 before, also grasped the situation, turning pale and trembling.

「King Krugel, wouldn't that cause hindrances...」

「Ah... that's right. Certainly, wearing these clothes would cause hindrances, wouldn't it? My friend's point is valid, so when boarding the ship, I will change my clothes to look like an 『older brother』.」

No, that's not what I meant, and that's not the problem. Besides, for the time being... this is a honeymoon, you know! Is it okay to be on a different ship from the bride? Before I could even speak to him, the King had already gone off somewhere, though.

「「......」」 Zahark and Halim were completely frozen.

「Um... if we decline to board now... it would be considered disrespectful, right?」

「Halim's words are correct... I guess.」 (Sorry)

「We won't have our heads cut off... right?」

「I don't think they'd go that far, but... sorry, could you give up?」 (Zahark, this is also a trial, please give up)

With this, it was confirmed that they would be invited to a fun drinking banquet. Furthermore... the situation developed in a direction far beyond their imaginations. At departure, Zahark, Halim, and the others lined up in a row, waiting for the King to board, but...

「My friends, I have also brought companions with whom we can drink and converse happily. Let us all exchange cups together.」

「Wha!」

I couldn't help but let out a strange voice at the companions following behind 『Brother』. Because, you know...

「I too... oops, I received an invitation from 『Brother』. I wanted to drink with the interesting men that Takuhir-dono said he picked up from the streets, you see. I'm intruding.」

I mean... you are the Emperor-heika of the Empire, you know! Come to think of it, this person... was the kind of person who casually mingled with regular soldiers and ate meals with them on the battlefield...

「I also received an invitation from 『Brother』, and it seems to be an enjoyable gathering, so by all means!」

「I am here as well.」

You guys are the King and Queen of the Lute-Vile-Cain Kingdom, right? Is that really okay! Come to think of it, King Crajyu was adored by the soldiers since his days as an unconventional Prince, and Queen Alicia was the kind of person who would mingle with the territory residents and fight. To begin with, both of them were unconventional figures despite being royalty...

「I am out of place compared to everyone here, but... to Archduke-heika, I am also one of his 『brothers』. I have been allowed to join the companions.」

No, you're my real brother, so you're a 『brother』 companion? That's a joke I can't laugh at, you know? I was surprised by my brother's courage to participate alongside the assembled Kings, though. However... is it at least a saving grace that the runaway horse isn't here? With that thought, I let out a big sigh.

「Of course I am here. Did you intend to leave me out all alone in the unlikely event it turns into a meeting about the hunt?」 『Gah!』 She was here after all! Before I knew it, the tomboy wearing a maid outfit to remain inconspicuous...

「Since that is the case, we will also intrude.」 Following her was a beaming Sieghart, and a pale-faced Knight Commander Gouras and Marquis Flame, but... We thoroughly discussed the procedures and deployments for the hunt last night, didn't we! What now? Probably, Sieghart was just out of curiosity, and the Knight Commander and Marquis had no choice but to follow along out of duty, albeit reluctantly. Well, those standing at the top are basically lonely, but the relationships here let them forget that. Can't be helped, huh... However, are Zahark, Halim, and the others fortunate just by not knowing the true identities of Brother's companions? If they knew everything, they wouldn't just be deeply moved; it would become an event they wouldn't even be able to talk about as a souvenir story. I couldn't help but let out another big sigh.

◇

And so, in the gazebo, a gathering of 『Brother』 and his fun companions was held, and the noise and laughter were still leaking out now. Zahark, Halim, and the others, who were stiff at first, seemed to be kneading their drinks with smiles, perhaps because the alcohol had taken effect a little and they had gotten used to the atmosphere. Well, occasionally their mouths seemed to twitch, but let's pretend I didn't see that. Hoping it would be of at least some help, I sent Raphael in, but... Even he, who usually bantered boldly, seemed to be drinking while making himself quite small right now. Of course, this is not power harassment. Because I had heard from Marianne, who was accompanying us on this trip, that 『even in Feari, he goes out night after night and doesn't return until morning,』 so I figured he probably hadn't had enough to drink.

The first day passed with such a meaningful (?) banquet, but they weren't just making merry on the journey. On the second day, they firmly cut off the alcohol to prepare for the following day. I myself felt that the second day was conversely a more meaningful boat journey. First, a multilateral meeting involving the heads of the three countries and the representative of the Kyle Kingdom (my brother), where they approved the basic proposals drafted by the civil officials the day before, such as the allocation of the occupied space for the city to be built at the national border and the tax exemption plan, and concluded treaties. Next, bilateral meetings between the two countries were held as needed, where future coordination of commerce and such were discussed. The one who played the most active role in this setting was Queen Alicia. The leaders of each country must have been surprised by her skill, despite her young and still innocent appearance. Thinking about it now, it might have been King Krugel's consideration to make effective use of the free time during the boat journey. Using the banquet as a pretext, that is.

And after a full two days of the boat journey, early in the morning the ship docked at the ferry crossing near Salaam. Just like this, we would head straight to the Demon Territory near the national border. While harboring various anxieties...

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>