Chapter 455
(Kyle Calendar Year
516: Age 23)
A Disturbing Honeymoon
③ The Five-Power Alliance
The
day after spending the night in Salaam, I was lying on the ship
half-dead from the morning. Because the celebratory drinks continued until yesterday—or
rather, until this morning—and I had clung to my horse in a dizzy state to
reach the pier. The dignitaries of each country other than me were relatively
unconcerned, but how strong is your alcohol tolerance! I almost let out such a
complaint.
「I'm sorry to keep you bored, but
while downstream is fine, upstream depends on the wind. Since things don't
always go as desired, it takes time.」
No,
King Krugel, that's wrong. I'm not bored; I'm just lethargic from a
hangover and lack of sleep. Moreover, on the outbound journey, we proceeded
almost straight while keeping a certain distance from the shore, but on the
return journey, we changed direction many times and proceeded in a zigzag, so
there's a lot of rocking...
「I am amazed at the strength of
everyone's livers. Not only are you bold (thick-livered), but you are
also strong drinkers...」
「Liver (Kanzou)?」
Ah,
that's right. In the other world it's common knowledge, but in this world,
there is no knowledge that the liver breaks down alcohol...
「Putting that aside, how long will it
take to our destination?」
「Hahaha, it seems my friend can't
wait. Depending on the wind... about three to four days, perhaps?」
That's
also wrong. It's not that I can't wait; I'm just concerned about how much I can
rest. However, if it's three to four days, the required time is about double;
is it close to the army moving by land? Unlike the land route, we can arrive
just by sleeping, and there's no trouble of stopping at night or taking regular
breaks.
「Oh, are you already planning the
next operation? We would certainly like to join as well.」
The
one who spoke saying so was the Emperor of the Empire, and behind him
stood King Crajyu. Just earlier, I thought the two of them were
discussing the response of countries bordering each other, for both the Griffonia
Empire and the Lute-Vile-Cain Kingdom, but... In the end, just like
the outbound journey, everyone is riding on the same ship. The only difference
is that my brother, who represented the Kyle Kingdom, went back
tearfully from Salaam aiming for Kylar, as he had to make a
report at the Royal Capital.
「Did the matter of the national
border come to a conclusion?」
「Well... previously, since our
territories bordered each other, we could build a common fort, but there are
difficulties in coordination now.」
Emperor
Grat said it somewhat hesitantly, but that's probably my fault. Because
the territory where both countries originally bordered has now become Demon
Territory Dukedom territory since a part of the former Cain Kingdom
territory was ceded, and I gave it to Margrave Falmus. No... wait? What
about setting up a common defense base there? It's an option for each country
to dispatch armies mutually and station them as a multinational force, but
first, information on the preceding stage?
「By the way, regarding the Republic
of Laconia under discussion, is there a fear of them becoming a threat?」
「Basically, the Empire has
been like this until now. Among the surrounding countries, the only one we
didn't view as an enemy was the Eral Knight Kingdom; all others were
hypothetical enemy nations targeted for invasion.」
It's
true that the Knight Kingdom is a special mercenary state where most of
the land is unsuitable for agriculture, and their only major industry is people
(mercenary dispatch). Since occupying their national territory yields no
benefits, friendly relations were probably established on the contrary.
「In our case, the former Cain
Kingdom seemed to have handled it reasonably well. It seems there was also
a treaty to borrow soldiers as mercenaries in times of need. Although, rather
than the Kingdom borrowing them, it was the merchants...」
I
see, now the three countries have been unified under a new King, and the
merchants who controlled the Cain Kingdom have been left out in the
cold. If so, it's impossible for them to be friendly.
「What about their national power?」
Truth
be told, I myself have investigated somewhat about the Republic of Laconia,
which we newly border. Basically, their principle is exclusively defensive
defense like the Kyle Kingdom, but the composition of the country is
vastly different. There is a King, but no nobles, and those with outstanding
strength are selected as knights. It seems to be a world where 『the strong are justice.』
「That country is fundamentally a
nation in arms; unimaginably harsh trials are imposed on all citizens, only the
strong become soldiers, and the weak are dropped to a slave class without even
citizenship being granted. Therefore, the soldiers, and especially those who
become knights among them, apparently boast isolated strength.」
Other
than warriors, they aren't even citizens—it's just like the ancient state of
Sparta I know of. If so, I must say the individual abilities of the soldiers
are outstandingly high.
「I also heard a story similar to
Emperor Grat's. The titles of knights and citizens are limited to one
generation, the strong are constantly replacing each other, and even if one's
origin is a slave, if they are strong, they become a knight and receive
preferential treatment.」
That's
dangerous. In a country where the ranking is that clear, everyone would polish
their martial arts desperately. Not to win, but just to survive...
「What is their military strength?
With what kind of tactics do they fight?」
「I also heard from soldiers hailing
from the Cain Kingdom, but those who have officially won the status of a
soldier number about ten thousand, but the reserve force aiming for that
position is about three times that. If so, the total force would exceed forty
thousand. Their specialized tactic is supposedly hand-to-hand combat by heavy
infantry equipped with large shields and short spears.」
Is
that phalanx tactics? If so, there should be weaknesses, and as a historical
fact, even the strongest Spartan army, which boasted invincibility, was
defeated.
「In past battles, they took
exclusively defensive defense as their principle, and fought choosing
battlefields advantageous to their fighting style. Even from the Empire,
a candidate for imperial succession several generations ago invaded, but they
were severely defeated by them who were inferior in numbers. As a result, the Empire's
foreign expeditions apparently shifted to other countries.」
「If it's exclusively defensive
defense, wouldn't it be peaceful as long as we don't lay hands on them from our
side?」
「That's the thing; I was discussing
it with King Crajyu earlier, but apparently there are two points of
concern.」
「Which are?」
「During the rebellion within the Empire,
a part of the pro-Glorious forces apparently fled into the Republic
of Laconia. The number of soldiers is unknown, but as a practical matter,
close to ten thousand soldiers have disappeared from within the Empire.
I don't think all of them headed there, but...」
「It's the same for the Cain
Kingdom. Those who fled seeking help when the Royal Capital was taken by
the Istoria Orthodox Theocracy army, those who disapproved of the
subsequent unification of the three countries, and so on... they disappeared
along with the soldiers led by such people. If you total that, it's around five
thousand; their whereabouts remain unknown even now.」
Tch,
in the confusion post-war, a maximum of fifteen thousand soldiers disappeared?
Even if half of them fled into the Republic of Laconia, it's a number
that can't be underestimated. With just that number, the Margrave Falmus
army guarding the national border alone cannot handle it.
「By the way, what is the second point
of concern?」
「Yes, in a bid conducted in our
country recently, there was a merchant who provided information as added value
to goods; according to them, the entire country has entered a mass production
system for a massive number of crossbows, and they are trying to spread them to
all citizens...」
Geh!
A complete rip-off of what I did! Moreover, a nation in arms where power is
justice is tackling it as a nation... how terrifying. Receiving a volley of
fire from forty thousand bow and arrow soldiers—just thinking about it gives me
chills.
「Apparently, they modeled themselves
after the army of the country where the hero who showed unparalleled strength
on the northern and southern fronts, and achieved an overwhelming victory over
the allied army of various countries, resides.」
Is
that my fault? As a country that continuously faced the threat of the Empire
alike, did they actively adopt that example? To think my actions birthed a new
threat... I can only call it ironic, but...
「Returning to the topic once more,
even if there are various threats, that country's principle is exclusively
defensive defense, isn't it?」
「The Archduke's point is correct. Up
until the previous King, that is.」
The
previous? Has the generation changed from the information I know? I haven't
heard such a story...
「Actually, the reason I discussed
this with Grat-heika on this occasion is also because the express
messenger notice sent by General Golpa before leaving Salaam
arrived.」
「What did it say?」
「It seems the King has changed
generations in the Republic of Laconia. When an envoy announcing that
visited, he apparently said, 『The Cain Kingdom is a country
that has formed friendships and had an alliance relationship with our country
for a long time. There are many in the Cain Kingdom who support us, and
we would like you to leave the reconstruction of the Kingdom to us. As for the
other two countries, we will leave them to you, so please depart quickly.』」
What
is that? To begin with, isn't that an unreasonable logic! What are they saying
when Queen Alicia, who draws the blood of the royal family of the former
Cain Kingdom, has acceded as the Queen of the unified Kingdom? And the
ones supporting them... aren't they talking about the villainous major
merchants? Haven't those guys given up yet? Their nature is as bad as stalkers!
「Then we should also make
corresponding preparations and be cautious. I am also one of the concerned
parties they are demanding the return from.」
If
it's such a situation, the burden is too heavy for Margrave Falmus
alone. I decided in my heart to further develop the idea that first came to
mind, and move towards its realization.
「I have a proposal. Regardless of
approval or disapproval, first, I would like to hear everyone's unreserved
opinions. The contents are mainly two.」
「Ooh, it seems my friend, resourceful
in strategy, has come up with a good plan?」
No...
I had been daringly ignoring it since earlier, but hero or resourceful in
strategy. It's a story that makes the one being called that embarrassed.
Putting that aside.
「One, we will construct a new defense
base within the Demon Territory Dukedom, in a corner that used to be
Count Jark's territory. Of course, one corresponding to the tactics of
the hypothetical enemy nation. And from here on is important, we will create a
stationing ground for a multinational force there.」
Yes,
first of all, against phalanx tactics, we just need to deal with it by
manipulating the terrain to create obstacles and ups and downs to expose their
weaknesses. As a countermeasure against bow and arrow soldiers, we will prepare
counterattack means equipped with solid defensive walls and loopholes, and
deploy long-range ballistae like a hedgehog. We are currently increasing
production of the ones deployed in the Margrave Solis territory, and we
will hastily divert them.
「What is the multinational force
Archduke-heika speaks of?」
「King Crajyu, exactly as the
name says. For the time being, the Griffonia Empire army, the Lute-Vile-Cain
Kingdom army, and the Demon Territory Dukedom will provide soldiers,
forming an army that conducts joint operations. If three countries bring
soldiers together, the burden per country is small, and conversely, it becomes
a threat to the enemy.」
「Hmu, for the Empire, it's a
story we could only wish for.」
「By the way, the box will be prepared
by our country, so if the soldiers and stationing expenses could be borne by
each country...」
「There is only one problem with that
plan.」
Eh?
What problem is there for the Fearalt Principality?
「It's not a three-country army, but a
four-country army. We will provide from the Royal Guard Division as well. It
will be an exchange venue we could only wish for, and it will be a good
stimulus for the soldiers. Besides, if it comes to a battle, wouldn't the Magic
Corps be useful?」
No,
that's a story I could only wish for, but. Is that really okay for the
Principality?
「L-Let me speak as well! There is
still a problem!」
I
mean, this tomboy. The moment the conversation reached military affairs, before
I knew it, she was participating! And here I thought she was talking amicably
with Queen Alicia until a moment ago...
「From my current standpoint, it would
be an act exceeding my authority, but by all means, please let the Kyle
Kingdom participate in that as well. If things continue as they are, we
will fall further and further behind.」
But,
is that okay? Don't we need to seek the Kingdom's judgment beforehand?
「Understood. Then I will confirm with
the Kingdom after returning. Since you have married into the Principality,
Princess Consort Clarisse should logically be unrelated to the political
judgments of the Kingdom, after all.」
「Understood...」
「And my friend, what is the second
one?」
「Until now it was friendship among
relatives, but I think it is about time we officially announce it to foreign
nations as a Five-Power Alliance. Mainly, the contents we will conclude among
allied nations are security limited to defensive wars, economic cooperation,
recognition of rights and interests, mutual aid during disasters, etc. We will
scrutinize the contents item by item, conclude a treaty clearly stating them,
and announce it to foreign nations.」
「Hahaha, then other countries will
not be able to lay a hand on us carelessly.」
「It is exactly as King Krugel
says. In addition, on the economic side, joint development and mutual
preferential treatment regarding tariffs will be incorporated, and the rights
and interests in the special zone of the new national border under construction
will also be possessed among the allied nations.」
Yes,
not just the rights and interests of the special zone city. The toll fees for
passing that route will be free for merchants certified by the respective
allied nations, but merchants not certified or merchants belonging to other
countries will be charged, and so on. Moreover, providing funds jointly to
maintain research institutions and disaster relief units would also be
interesting, I think. Of course, accommodating supplies during disasters,
support funds, etc., will also be invested and accumulated in advance... no,
making even that into a fund might be interesting too?
After
that, the Q&A continued, but the basic line was maintained, and the draft
was summarized on the ship. This would later be called the 『Five-Power Alliance』 by foreign nations, and this was
its memorable first step.
「Then, since the heads of state of
each country are gathered at great pains. Let's have the alliance conclusion
document summarized here prepared in Feari. How about we sign it there
for each country?」
「The Empire has no objection.
Rather, it's a story we could only wish for.」
「We by all means too!」
Here,
a clinging gaze was directed at me, but of course I know. I turned a smile to
her and nodded.
「It's fine. I will go to the Kyle
Kingdom and have them sign it. With that, all five countries will be
complete. However... we should hurry this matter. We will postpone the hunt in
the southeast Demon Territory this time...」
「Hmu, we have no choice but to finish
that quickly too.」
「Because we came for that purpose.
It's valuable material that cannot be obtained in the Empire, there's no
way we'd miss this opportunity.」
「General Golpa is keeping a
sharp eye out for us too. Fortunately, the Orthodox Theocracy has turned
its spearhead to the north, and we have also transferred our main force to the
south after preparing our defenses, so...」
「Of course, that's a separate stomach
(matter). Such opportunities rarely come around.」
Tch,
you're going with that as a separate matter! They are incorrigible people...
After
finishing the talk, I called out the fearful Raphael and gave him a
special mission. It's not like I was planning to order him to keep me company
drinking. I asked him to return to Kusanagi ahead of time, join up with Elan
at the national border along the way, and head out for a field survey. On site,
I also entrusted him with the role of conveying my private intentions to
Margrave Falmus, and at the same time, to the Commander, I
arranged for the issuance of an alert posture for that region and the dispatch
of Demon Territory Knights units, having the Commander remain in Kusanagi
to monitor the transition.
Dealing
with the Kyle Kingdom is a bit of a hassle, but even though the Demon
Territory Dukedom is now close to equal in national territory scale to the
Kingdom, the roots are the same. It's logical for me to handle it myself.
Even so, when will I be able to settle down? Thinking so, I let out a big sigh. However, at this time, I didn't know anything. That changes in the situation were happening besides that, and the serious troubles on the Kyle Kingdom side too... The situation was about to begin moving again, exceeding my expectations.
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Taylor King
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----