[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 29





Rain, a Cave, and the Truth 4




Opening my eyes with a blink, I looked at the ceiling and wondered for a moment where I was. Right, I remember leaving Ashren-sama and Mark-sama at the tavern on the first floor last night, and falling fast asleep after returning to my room. From the slightly opened window, a damp breeze blew in. The mountain I could see had a hazy summit today as well.

Raising my body from the creaking bed, I took a big stretch. It was a room that could by no means be called splendid, but it was thoroughly cleaned.

I picked up the laundry I had hung over the chair. I washed them at the well in the back as soon as we arrived at the inn, and they were completely dry. Quick-drying materials are convenient. The beige shirt I had taken out of my backpack yesterday and hung on a hanger on the wall had its noticeable wrinkles disappear overnight. This is also a convenient material. I put on the khaki trousers, braided my hair, and pulled my hat down low over my eyes. Then, I put my nightwear into my backpack, and my preparations were perfect.

When I went down the stairs to the first floor, Ashren-sama and Mark-sama were already sitting on a bench near the entrance. I don't know what they talked about after that, but the eyes of Mark-sama, who was looking alternately at Ashren-sama and me, were lukewarm.

「It seems there are muddy places due to the heavy rain from two days ago. Let's be careful.」

Saying that, Ashren-sama opened the door for me. He is usually properly gentlemanly about such things, so it shouldn't be particularly rare, but for some reason, I felt that the atmosphere drifting from Ashren-sama had changed from yesterday.

Even though the mountain path was flat at the beginning, after walking for thirty minutes, the incline suddenly became steep. Even so, it was still the early stages. Thinking I would be fine with this much, I proceeded with my steps, but...

「Haa, haa...」

「Layla, are you okay?」

「Yes, of course.」

As we approached the middle of the mountain, it became a rugged, rocky area. Sometimes we had to proceed as if scrambling up, and my stamina reached its limit.

Grasping the hand Ashren-sama held out for me, I somehow managed to climb over the rock. Ahead of us, Mark-sama, carrying my luggage, was nimbly jumping from rock to rock.

「If we walk a little further, we should come out to a slightly open area. Ashren, I will go ahead and check the situation.」

「Yeah, I'm counting on you.」

I wonder if Mark-sama has wings growing on his back. How can he cross the rocky area so nimbly?

There is probably some difference in leg length, and I think there is a huge difference in the arm strength to scramble up the rocks. But, I thought I could do a little more myself. And yet.

Even when I let out a heave-ho, my body wouldn't lift, so Ashren-sama pulled me up.

「I am so sorry.」

「Do not worry about it. A difference in stamina cannot be helped.」

Grabbing the hand held out to me with a "Here," being pulled, being supported. I somehow managed to escape the rocky area.

Then, we suddenly came out to a wide-open area. A green flatland continued gently, and there was shade under a large tree. Of course, it wasn't as expansive as 'as far as the eye can see', but perhaps because I had only been looking at inclines the whole time, I felt relieved.

Heading towards Mark-sama, who was waving his hand under the large tree, I sat flat down in the shade. Then, Mark-sama pressed a cloth canteen against my cheek with a plop.

「There was a water spot a little further away. I secured some drinking water for us.」 「Thank you very much.」

The cloth canteen was double-layered, with waterproof fabric sewn on the inside. After finishing the drink, it can be rolled up and stored—an excellent item.

The cloth canteen I received was cold, and I patted it against my cheeks and eyelids.

「Hey, Mark. Where is mine?」

「Yes, yes, I have it right here. Honestly, don't get so worked up over something like this.」

Tossing the cloth canteen over with a 'here you go', Mark-sama shrugged his shoulders with a 'good grief' kind of feeling.

They took a plenty long lunch break for my sake. Drinking water, and cooling my neck and ankles with a cold cloth. Just with that, my stamina recovered considerably.

「I apologize, I am holding you back, aren't I.」

「Do not worry about it. It is your first time mountain climbing; this much is within expectations.」

「But if it were just you and Mark-sama, you should have already arrived at the destination by now.」

「Even if we arrive, it is meaningless without you, Layla. So this is fine.」

His ice-blue eyes narrowed softly. I wonder since when I started to feel at ease with that color, which can even look cold.

「Hey, you two. The weather is starting to look a little dangerous. I want to depart soon.」

Resting a short distance away, Mark-sama looked up at the sky. Looking up as if drawn in by him, black clouds were approaching from afar.

The weather in the mountains changes easily; though it was a bit late, those words crossed my mind.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>