[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 30





Rain, a Cave, and the Truth 5




As the smell of damp earth began to mix into the air, it soon started to rain in scattered drops.

As I took the raincoat out of my backpack and pulled it completely over my head, Mark-sama's hand reached for my luggage at the same time.

「Layla, sorry, but we're going to speed up our walking pace. I will carry your luggage, so please do your best.」

「Yes, I am sorry.」

「No, I miscalculated the time allocation. Do not worry about it.」

Mark-sama lightly slung my backpack over his left shoulder. Keeping one's dominant arm free seems to be the knight's way.

「The rocky area will continue again. Layla, your hand.」

Holding Ashren-sama's hand, we began walking at a brisk pace. Even so, the clouds moved faster, reaching out toward us as if they were tentacles.

Just as I thought the surroundings had grown dark, the raindrops became larger and rapidly gained momentum. However, the surroundings were rocky terrain; there were no large trees to take shelter under, so we had no choice but to walk through the wind-swept elements.

The wind grew stronger, and I moved forward now almost clinging to Ashren-sama's hand. I thought this was all because I had said I wanted to go, but even when I voiced it, the two of them just said, "Do not worry about it."

If that is the case, at the very least I shouldn't hold them back. In order not to fall behind, I scrambled up the rocky terrain as if desperately clinging to it.

After passing through the large rocky area, we came out onto a path paved with fist-sized stones. This was difficult to walk on in its own way, but it might be better than before. However, in contrast to me, who was only looking at my feet, the two of them firmly grasped the surrounding situation as well.

「It is taking more time than planned.」

「The sun will set soon. Another hour to the village, huh.」

「Well, the incline will get better once we pass through here. The wind has died down too, so it looks like we can use the lamp.」

The lamp had a top cover for rain protection that was larger than usual. Though the flame lit inside would go out in driving rain, it could apparently be used in light rain. Flora chose that shop because they sold specialized tools like this, I see.

Before long, it grew dim, and since the footing was poor, we decided to light the lamp. Letting go of Ashren-sama's hand, I started walking holding the lamp in one hand. I was told to keep one hand free so I could react instantly if I tripped.

Just a little more. That thought slightly loosened my tense feelings.

However, a true disaster is exactly what happens at times like that.

Beneath the foot I stepped forward with while looking out over the mountain scenery as the sun grew obscured, the piled stones lost their balance with a clatter. Dragged along by that, my body tilted to the left.

Normally, I would correct my posture without much difficulty, but my body, completely exhausted from the continuous mountain path up to this point, stumbled staggeringly just like that.

To make matters worse, there was a cliff to the left. My body softly fell toward the cliff. Even I thought, Ah. I might have actually said it out loud.

Ashren-sama hurriedly reached out his hand for me. Though his hand touched me, it was already too late, and we slid down the cliff.

I could hear the rumbling sound of rocks tumbling right by my ears. Although shocks ran through my entire body, the pain was less than I expected. When my rolling body came to a stop, I slowly opened my eyes.

Then, my entire field of vision was filled with Ashren-sama's clothes. As I turned my face upward while still being held in Ashren-sama's arms, a pained voice leaked from his distorted mouth with an "Ugh".

「Ashren-sama! Are you okay?」

「Ugh, I am... fine. What about you, Layla?」

「Thanks to you, Ashren-sama, I don't have any major injuries.」

Groping around, I searched for the fallen lamp and lit it with a match.

Though a faint light illuminated our surroundings as if encircling us, the surrounding darkness was deeper, and I couldn't see anything. When I pointed the lamp toward the cliff we had tumbled down, the incline was much steeper than I expected, to the point that I grew anxious about whether we could climb it.

Trying to illuminate it further, Ashren-sama stood up, but his body suddenly tilted and he fell to his knees. His hand was pressing his right leg.

「Pardon me.」

When I forcefully took off his shoe and illuminated his ankle with the lamp, it was red and swollen.

「I am going to touch it.」

When I gently touched the affected area, Ashren-sama put a slight amount of strength into his brow. He seems to be in pain, but it is not broken.

The place we are in is halfway down the cliff. We were lucky enough to stop on a slight patch of flat land, and right next to us was the bottom of the cliff. The sound of river water echoed loudly, and we couldn't even converse without shouting.

I cannot climb this cliff, and it is impossible for Ashren-sama, who hurt his leg, as well. Wondering what we should do, as I looked up at the cliff, I saw the swaying light of a lamp.

「Are you, uninjured?」

The light moving up, down, left, and right was the exact same movement Ashren-sama had taught me. Receiving the lamp from Ashren-sama's hand, I stood up and swung the light.

「Male, injured, ankle.」

「Understood, heading there.」

Ashren-sama followed up for me, who could only communicate in single words, and translated Mark-sama's message into words for me.

「Layla, let's have Mark go to the village and bring help tomorrow morning. The footing here is poor. I want to avoid all three of us falling together.」

「Understood. I will convey that to him, so please teach me how to move the lamp.」

Vertical, diagonal, circle—I moved the lamp exactly as I was told. It seems our intentions were conveyed, and finally, the light Mark-sama held drew a large circle.

「Ashren-sama, please stay here for a bit. I am going to look for a place where we can take shelter from the rain.」

「In that case, I will...」

「It is impossible with that leg. I will borrow the lamp, so please wait here.」

Knowing he would try to stop me, I left the spot without waiting for a reply. It would be nice if there was a place like under a tree, where we could protect ourselves from the wind and rain and rest our bodies.

Being careful of the slippery footing and illuminating the surroundings as I walked cautiously, I luckily found a cave. When I illuminated the hole, which looked as if it had been hollowed out from the cliff, with the lamp, the inside was unexpectedly spacious.

When I touched the side surface with my hand, the rock wall felt solid, and it seemed there was no worry of it collapsing.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>