[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 40


Layla's Footsteps 4


Not only the civil officials. Even Her Royal Highness the Princess...

Eh! Don't tell me aquariums are going to be placed in the royalty's rooms too?

When I asked back thinking no way, I was told "That's right" as if it were obvious.

When my mother gets involved, things tend to become a big deal, you see.

Um, I've been wondering this for a while, but just who exactly is the Director? Even as the wife of the former Prime Minister, I feel her influence is far too strong.

I can understand the Pharmaceutical Department, but to easily get things approved by the Knight Order, involve a stratigrapher, and on top of that, even get the royal family to cooperate.

Even though I pressed him, saying I would have him tell me today for sure, Ashren-sama nonchalantly pasted the algae onto the metal fittings of the aquarium. Looking at his profile, he has no intention of talking today either, does he. I had only been seeing his gentle side recently, but come to think of it, Ashren-sama was originally that kind of person. He is clearly enjoying my impatient reaction.

Don't pout so much. I've been gagged about it too. More importantly, about Her Royal Highness.

That's right. The conversation was about how even Her Royal Highness the Princess is cooperating.

Her Royal Highness had been suffering from rough skin for many years. She has a cute face, but she would worry about the blemishes and apply thick makeup, which only worsened it. I don't understand that kind of worry, but she seemed to take it very seriously.

Have you ever met Her Royal Highness, Ashren-sama?

Well, yes. And when I gave her the cosmetics you made on the ship, Layla, it seemed to work very well, and her expression has brightened completely lately.

At those words, the blood drained from my face. When did he give that to Her Royal Highness? If I recall correctly, I brought the cosmetics I made to the laboratory at Flora's request and just left them on the shelf. To think they ended up in the hands of Her Royal Highness.

A-Ashren-sama. That was an item made from whatever was on hand; it is absolutely, absolutely not an item fit for Her Royal Highness to use!!

Even as I protested while trembling and clenching my fists, Ashren-sama laughed lightly with an unfazed face.

She likes it, so there is no problem.

It doesn't work that way.

If I were a man, I would have grabbed him by the collar and thrown him. When I glared up at him sharply, he waved his hand flutteringly, saying "Now, now."

Anyway, she was extremely pleased and is cooperating on a grand scale, so it's fine, right? Furthermore, His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen are also cooperating, grateful not only for solving their only daughter's worries but also for your track record so far.

...Why are you so close to the royal family, Ashren-sama?

As for the King, he even shifted the position of his bed to make space for an aquarium by the window...

W-Wait a minute!! Answer my question...

Her Majesty the Queen, who loves flowers, always decorates the windowsill with a vase, but she says she will place an aquarium there instead for a while.

Oh, what in the world. To think the matter had become so big in a place I knew nothing about. Wishing I could just collapse on the spot, I placed my hand on my forehead and looked down, but Ashren-sama firmly lifted my chin. There, instead of mischievous eyes, was a serious gaze I was seeing for the first time.

Layla, look around you.

Not understanding the meaning, I looked around as I was told.

The Pharmaceutical Department, the knights, the maids, the civil officials, and the royal family. Everyone is grateful to you, Layla. Everyone is moving willingly not just because the Director asked them to. It's because it's you, Layla; because they were saved by your medicine, that's why they are cooperating this much. The one who moved the people here is you, Layla.

I moved them? Even though I only made medicine?

Passing knights patted my shoulder, saying, "That medicine was good." The maids carrying water also called out to me, "Please make the chilblain medicine again this winter."

Lacking amiability or charm, and not being quick-witted, my only redeeming quality was making medicine. So I made it.

Hoping that the medicine I made would be of use to someone.

My vision blurred, and tears streamed down my cheeks. Ah, even though I'm in front of people. I've become quite weak since coming to this country.

The drops flowing over abundantly spilled down again even when I scooped them up with my fingers. But my heart was filled with something warm, and for the first time, I felt proud of what I had done.

Ah, Ashren-sama made Layla cry.

A small child grabbed my skirt and reached out a hand holding a handkerchief to wipe my tears.

N-No. I didn't do anything.

Finding the flustered Ashren-sama amusing, I was crying while bursting into laughter, and more children gathered and started jeering at him.

When Mark-sama threw a tease, saying "This is where you're supposed to hug her," Ashren-sama turned bright red and retorted, "As if I could do that in a place like this!" The onlookers, who were incomparable in number to those at the Pharmaceutical Department's warehouse, were watching us from a distance and smiling.

Because Ashren-sama, red up to his ears, was wiping my tears while flustered, my laughter and tears wouldn't stop even more.

Please, Layla. Stop crying.

I don't know how to stop tears of joy.

At me shedding tears while giggling, Ashren-sama became so flustered it was unimaginable from his usual two-faced self.

At that moment, something soft and gentle enveloped me.

You did very well, Layla.

A warm voice and warmth just like a mother's. The Director's slender fingers gently stroked my hair over and over again.

Don't forget the sight before your eyes. This is the path you have walked.

The Director's words seeped into my heart, making my tears overflow even more.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>