[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 41


Layla's Future 1


The blazing sunlight disappeared, and the cool autumn breeze swayed the golden ears of wheat.

Before my eyes was a wheat field, heavily laden with grain and bowing its heads under the weight. Despite the long summer rains, it is an abundant harvest this year as well.

As the harvest season arrived, we once again visited the foot of the mountain range where Liebel Village is located. This time it was only an inspection of the foot of the mountain, but I hear the wheat fields in Liebel Village also had an abundant harvest.

Even in the wheat fields we saw on the way here, the mass withering hadn't occurred, had it.

Four days swaying in the carriage. I simply kept looking out the window. I had heard in the reports that the mass withering hadn't occurred, but I was anxious until I confirmed it with my own eyes. When I saw the wheat fields with their heads drooping before my eyes, I almost let out a cheer of joy.

It's a success, isn't it.

Yes.

Even as I answered with a smile, the reason I couldn't rejoice from the bottom of my heart was because I was worried about the pesticide I made in the Jilgista Kingdom. Because the types of wheat grown in the Jilgista Kingdom and the Kanista Kingdom are different, the harvest in the Jilgista Kingdom is about a month and a half away. Even though the types are different, since the mass withering occurs in the same years in both countries every year, the cause should be the same.

There is no doubt that the pesticide I made suppresses the bacteria that multiplies due to moisture. I can say that with confidence, but since the cause of the mass withering is not bacteria in the first place, that pesticide is useless.

Perhaps because my face clouded over slightly, Ashren-sama ruffled my hair affectionately. Even though I have been told I lack expression, Ashren-sama immediately picks up on my emotions.

Well then, shall we eat something delicious and head back?

...Yes.

Thus, my inspection ended on a schedule that could be called a forced march, and the Kanista Kingdom safely finished its harvest.

※※

Soon, a year will have passed since I came to this country.

During that time, a letter arrived from my parents only once. There were no words worrying about me; it was the same as always, reprimanding me for being incompetent compared to Aisha and lamenting that I was an unfilial daughter.

To my parents, I am apparently an uncharming daughter who, despite having my engagement annulled because of my shortcomings as a woman, held a grudge against my younger sister and then departed for a foreign country as if out of spite. I should have been used to their evaluation of me, but because I opened it thinking they might be worrying about me even a little, the contents hurt me.

That is why I still couldn't bring myself to open the letter that had arrived from my parents again. A dull white envelope, with the Wilbas Viscount Family's wax seal on the back.

Haa.

Leaning on the armrest of the sofa with my arm, I let out a big sigh. But it's no use staying like this forever. It's already been a week since the letter arrived, and my heart has felt heavy no matter what I did during that time. In that case, I resolved myself to just read it already and picked up the paper knife.

A small, short shat sound. Bracing myself and taking a deep breath, I took out the letter and began to read it.

※※

Ashren-sama stopped me as I tried to return to my room immediately after dinner finished.

Keep me company for an evening drink.

Saying that, we moved to the living room, and he had the maid prepare liquor and herbal tea. I couldn't help but marvel at how this person understands me so well.

A wine glass and a teacup were lined up on a calm, dark brown low table. Firewood was placed next to the fireplace, but a fire hadn't been lit yet. Instead, a fluffy blanket was on my lap.

What happened?

Stopping me from trying to pour, Ashren-sama filled his glass with wine himself and asked very naturally.

A letter arrived from my family home.

So I answered naturally as well. While drinking his wine, Ashren-sama waited for me to speak my next words.

I was told to show my face at the ceremony because my younger sister is getting married.

How troubling, I thought, lowering my eyebrows as if smiling wryly and slightly raising the corners of my mouth. I didn't want him to think I was hurt by any mistake. Because I really am not hurt or anything.

I see, and what will you do?

I plan to attend. If the contents of the letter were something unreasonable, I intended to ignore it, but telling me to return to the country to attend my younger sister's wedding is a valid reason.

However, the groom is your former fiancé, right? Is that valid?

That is exactly why. If I don't return for this, they will think I still have lingering attachments and am forcing my own selfishness.

I have no feelings of jealousy toward Aisha, and I will gladly yield that kind of man to her. I didn't come to this country out of spite, and I'm not refusing to return because I'm sulking. I simply lived the way I wanted to and found a place where I belong.

That is why I intend to return proudly; when I conveyed that, Ashren-sama nodded, saying he understood. I thought he would say that. But what bothers me is that broadly grinning face.

Ashren-sama? What are you plotting?

Why do you think that?

You have your two-faced expression.

What's that supposed to mean, Ashren-sama furrowed his brow, but I didn't miss that the corners of his mouth were turned up.

Um, could it possibly be that...

I can't let a young lady attend a party alone, now can I. I will escort you.

No, no, "will escort you," he says. There is ab-so-lutely an ulterior motive behind that face, isn't there.

...However, wouldn't it be a problem for both of us to take time off work together?

Letting you go alone, Layla, is more of a problem. There's no way my mother would allow such a thing.

As my cheek twitched, Ashren-sama floated a composed smile. Looking at that face, which could look charming or demonic depending on how you look at it, I felt slightly dizzy.

And so, carrying a reassuring ally and a bomb, I was to depart for the Jilgista Kingdom for the first time in a year.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>