[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 42


Layla's Future 2


A week spent transferring between boats and carriages. Tracing back the path I took a year ago, I arrived in the Jilgista Kingdom.

Strangely, no emotion of "coming home" welled up inside me. I had feelings of nostalgia for the familiar scenery, but this is no longer the place where I live.

I could have stayed at my parents' house, the Wilbas Viscount household, but Ashren-sama had booked an inn for us, so I decided to stay there.

Even though I had found a place where I belonged and gained more confidence than when I was in the Jilgista Kingdom, returning to that house still weighed heavily on my mind, so I decided to rely on Ashren-sama's thoughtfulness.

That wasn't the only thing I relied on him for. Attending a noble's wedding party requires a certain amount of preparation. Ashren-sama arranged for two maids who work at the main residence of the Naturi Marquis family, as well as a dress and jewelry.

Um, is there really a need to go this fa—r?

Polished from head to toe since the morning, and after lunch. While having my corset tightly squeezed, I hesitantly tried asking.

Of course there is. We have also been instructed by Risha-sama to polish you up flawlessly, Layla-sama.

Risha-sama is the Director. Apparently, they were ordered by the Director to make me sparkling clean from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. Thanks to that, even on the ship, I had various things applied to me every day and received massages.

Because of that, the complexion of my skin reflected in the mirror is exceedingly good. It's a bit much to say it myself, but my finely textured, translucent skin seems to glow from the inside. To think they could finish up someone like me, who is indifferent to polishing herself as a woman, to this extent—I could only admire it, thinking this is the work of professionals.

Then, here is the dress.

What the maid brought out was an ice-blue dress, the same color as Ashren-sama's eyes. Small diamonds were scattered around the chest, and from the waist down, multiple layers of ruffles overlapped and spread out fluffily.

I know well enough what wearing a dress the same color as someone's eyes signifies. That is exactly why I couldn't help but wonder why this dress.

As thanks for me acting as a bug repellent usually, I wonder if he intends to play a part today so that I won't look miserable?

Layla-sama?

It seems I had murmured it without realizing, so I smoothed things over with a "It's nothing." I'm sure there's no deep meaning to it.

After that, they applied my makeup and tied up my hair. Time passed in the blink of an eye. Around the time preparations were complete, there was a knock on the door, and Ashren-sama came to pick me up. He was also holding my pure white coat in his hand.

Ashren-sama, please take care of escorting me today.

It wasn't something I asked for, but I was happy about his feelings for going this far for me, so I greeted him with a curtsy for the first time. However, even when I raised my head and waited for a reaction, nothing came back. With his mouth slightly open, he stood there with his long, slit eyes wide open, showing no sign of moving.

Um, is something the matter?

N-No. It's nothing.

At my question, his shoulders twitched, and Ashren-sama finally took a step forward.

You are beautiful. It suits you very well.

Thank you very much.

In the breast pocket of Ashren-sama, whose ears seemed a bit red, was a pocket square the same color as my dress. The dark blue jacket made his handsome face stand out even more than usual.

When praised, thank them with a smile. When I smiled sweetly, Ashren-sama let his gaze wander for a moment before calling the maid and having her bring a small box.

This is for you, Layla.

Opening the lid, what was offered was a large blue diamond necklace. At that far too magnificent jewel, I hurriedly shook my head.

Ashren-sama, this is disproportionate to my status for me to receive. I cannot accept it.

Since I had it made for you, Layla, if you won't accept it, I have no choice but to throw it away.

You can't! Just how expensive of an item do you think this is?

That's not a joke to make while looking out the window. Seeing me flustered, Ashren-sama mischievously raised the corners of his mouth.

Please don't tease me.

That's because you say things like you don't need it, Layla. The place we are going to now is like a battlefield for you; this necklace is in place of a protective charm. I will put it on you, so hold still.

With the necklace in hand, Ashren-sama stepped behind me and fastened the clasp with slightly awkward movements. Trembling at the heavy weight, I looked in the mirror, and it certainly looked like a protective charm as well.

Thank you.

Yes, being obedient is good.

After gently placing his hand on my head so as not to ruin my hair, Ashren-sama smoothly bent down. Something soft and gentle touched the crown of my head, and then pulled away. Freezing at the sudden event, my face dyed bright red a beat later. This was, like a kiss. ...A kiss. At the word that popped into my head, I finally turned red all the way down to my neck.

A-Ashren-sama?

When I called his name with trembling lips, there was Ashren-sama, smiling calmly.

Tonight, no matter what happens, I will protect you, Layla. That is my vow.

A vow...

I am grateful that he would care for me to that extent, but for me, who has no immunity to such things, this stimulation is too strong. Too embarrassed to even meet Ashren-sama's gaze, I had no choice but to look down. Because of that, I couldn't even notice that Ashren-sama was also blushing just like me, and only the lukewarm gazes of the maids felt painful.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56

Xavier O'Donoghue


[Bronze]

Anton Lim

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Sébastien Dionne

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>