[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 43


Layla's Future 3


Under a clear autumn sky so blue it felt like you could fall into it, I stepped down from the carriage with Ashren-sama's help and headed toward the church's front courtyard. Dressed-up people had already gathered and were chatting happily here and there.

Though there were many familiar faces, it seemed they didn't recognize me. More than that, their gazes were poured onto Ashren-sama next to me.

Who is that gentleman?

I've never even seen him at an evening banquet.

Excited voices whispering here and there. There was no way he couldn't notice the gazes of the young ladies looking at him with flushed cheeks and enraptured expressions, yet Ashren-sama calmly looked straight ahead.

I am realizing this anew, but you really are incredibly good-looking, Ashren-sama. You are quite used to being stared at, aren't you.

If you say that, you are dense to gazes, Layla. Thanks to that, rather than paying attention to the young ladies, I am busy keeping those guys in check.

After narrowing his ice-blue eyes sharply and looking around, Ashren-sama looked down at me with an exasperated face. Even being looked at with such a face, I had absolutely no idea what he meant. As I wondered what he was talking about, Ashren-sama let out a small sigh, grabbed a bundle of my hair, and... unbelievably, pressed his lips to it.

W-Wha. Ashren-sama!?

Small squeals of "Kyaa" rose from all around. Looking at me turning red again and trembling my lips, Ashren-sama smiled in satisfaction.

This should have taken care of most of them.

Therefore, what are you talking about? Even when I furrowed my brow and lightly glared at him, there was no way Ashren-sama would care. As someone having him accompany me, I couldn't say anything. As I was pursing my lips, going Ugugu, a maid holding what looked like a list of attendees approached.

Excuse me, dear guest, but may I ask for your name?

Yes. I am Layla Wilbas.

...!

The maid gasped and her eyes widened.

I am Ashren Naturi. I am accompanying her as her escort, is there some problem?

When he smiled with his cold, light-blue eyes, the maid hurriedly shook her head, saying "Not at all."

Please excuse me. It is just that, your atmosphere is quite, um, different from when I saw you before.

Saying, "I will prepare a welcome drink immediately," the maid bowed her head and left.

She said she's Layla Wilbas.

Lady Aisha's older sister, and Lord Carter's former fiancée, right?

I heard she got heartbroken and left for a foreign country out of spite, though.

Perhaps having overheard the conversation with the maid, a murmur spread out like a ripple with us at the center. Next, the people who looked at me widened their eyes.

That is Layla?

Isn't she more beautiful than Aisha?

I couldn't hear the exact contents of their conversations. They were probably mocking the pitiful me who had her fiancé stolen by her younger sister. I was prepared for the curious gazes, but it still wasn't a pleasant feeling. However, I didn't want to drop my gaze here, as that would feel like losing, so I purposely pasted a smile on my lips and faced forward. As if backing up my feelings, Ashren-sama gently placed his hand on my back.

Don't you think it's our win if we just enjoy the attention?

Just what exactly are you fighting against, Ashren-sama?

At those words that went completely beyond my expectations, I unintentionally burst out laughing. With that single sentence, my tense feelings dissipated, and the tension left my shoulders. While reproaching his mischievous smile, the hand placed on my back was reassuring.

Just as he said, ignoring the surrounding gazes, Ashren-sama escorted me to the center of the venue.

—And. At that moment.

Oneesama! You came!

The high-pitched voice echoing through the venue unmistakably belonged to Aisha. Clad in a pure white dress with her pink-blonde hair tied up high, today's leading lady headed straight for me. But, Aisha's feet stopped just a few steps away from me.

Aisha's gaze shifted from me to Ashren-sama standing next to me. After widening her ruby-colored eyes, she sharpened her gaze and looked at me. Of course, the one who reacted more than me to the color of jealousy floating there was Ashren-sama.

Sliding the hand that was just resting on my back downward to grab my waist, he pulled me tightly against him. And then, he floated a perfect smile that would leave anyone entranced.

I am attending as Layla's escort today.

...Ashren-sama is escorting you, Oneesama...

Looking at my dress and the blue diamond necklace, Aisha contorted her face in frustration.

Aisha, congratulations on your marriage.

...Thank you, Oneesama.

But she quickly recovered and floated a glamorous smile, then, unbelievably, took my hand. Making her ruby-colored eyes tear up, she lowered her eyebrows and feigned a fragile appearance. At Aisha's usual tactic, I reflexively braced myself.

Oneesama, I thought I absolutely had to apologize properly for things turning out this way.

Do not worry about it. You didn't do any—

You really are angry, aren't you. But I am entirely the one to blame, so please do not blame Carter-sama.

It seemed she had no intention of listening to my words. Her voice grew even louder, as if acting like the tragic heroine herself.

Because you were far too busy, Oneesama, and wouldn't pay any attention to Carter-sama. I only thought I would at least keep him company in your stead, since you wouldn't try to do a single fiancé-like thing. I never imagined that he would break the engagement and say he wanted to marry me.

I was busy because the two of you pushed all your work onto me. She has a lot of nerve saying that when they were having secret meetings while I was sparing no time for sleep to do research. Even so, today is Aisha's wedding, so I swallowed my words hard. And yet, Aisha's words still continued.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>