Layla's
Future 4
「I believe it was destiny that we
fell in love. But, I truly felt sorry for hurting you, Oneesama, and
intended to properly apologize. And yet, you left for a foreign country as if
out of spite. Do you know how angry and worried Father and Mother were at your
playing the victim?」
Shedding
tears, she directed the spearhead of her blame at me. Looking at this, it's as
if I am the one blaming Aisha. Moreover, having caught wind of the
commotion, our parents finally appeared.
「Layla, what are you doing the moment you
return?」
「The annulment of the engagement was
because you were inadequate. Blaming Aisha is barking up the wrong tree.
Besides, today is Aisha's wedding, you know.」
I
have never once blamed Aisha regarding the annulment of the engagement.
Even after coming here, I only offered words of celebration. And yet, the two
of them, as usual, rapid-fired blame at me without even trying to listen to
what I had to say.
Even
if I tried to explain myself, I could easily imagine the words that would come
back: that it's an excuse, that I'm too assertive, and so on. That is why, in
the past, I would give up, silently look down, and wait for their anger to
subside.
But
the current me is different. I stared straight at the two of them and didn't
avert my gaze. Because I haven't done anything wrong. The reason I can even
feel a sense of composure is because many people in the Kanista Kingdom
acknowledged me. I have a place to return to.
「Looking at us sullenly without even
apologizing. Truly, you are an incompetent daughter with no amiability or
charm. You should learn from Aisha even a little.」
「Layla, how long do you intend to cause
trouble for the Naturi Marquis? Quit your selfishness and come home
already.」
「I refuse. I have no intention of
ever returning to this country.」
「Wha—why are you so stubborn? Even
though I am making a concession, don't speak so brazenly when you are just a
woman!!」
I
was anxious internally, wondering why they would cause a family dispute at such
an auspicious occasion. Even though there are many nobles here of higher rank
than the Wilbas Viscount family.
「Excuse me, but...」
Ashren-sama, wearing an elegant smile,
stepped between me and my parents.
「I believe you are misunderstanding
something.」
「Misunderstanding, you say?」
「Yes. Layla is a very lovely
young lady. Intelligent and calm, yet kind and loved by everyone. While having
her own thoughts, she properly listens to the words of others; she is modest,
yet reliable.」
I
was barely able to maintain my expression at the praises being dealt out.
Hiding my trembling mouth with a fan, going Awawa, I looked up at Ashren-sama,
thinking he was saying too much. Then, I was pierced by his passionate ice-blue
gaze.
「At the very least, I have never met
a woman greater than Layla. And I likely never will.」
At
words that sounded just like a confession of love, I almost dropped my fan. Ashren-sama
looked at me, my cheeks dyed bright red, with such affection that my heart rang
out like a rapid alarm bell.
I
know he is returning the favor on my behalf. I know that, but his gaze was so
serious I doubted if this was an act. With this, it's harder to tell me not
to misunderstand.
「Ashren-sama, um, could it be that you,
about Layla...」
Sure
enough, my father, misunderstanding our relationship, looked back and forth
between me and Ashren-sama in bewilderment. Next to him, for some
reason, Aisha was raising her eyebrows and clenching her fists.
「Furthermore, Layla is
excellent as a researcher and is an indispensable figure in our laboratory.」
Not
answering the question and bringing things at his own pace is Ashren-sama's
specialty in conversation. Now that it has come to this, it's his solo stage.
「A researcher? Didn't Layla go
to your country as a chore girl?」
「Hardly, I scouted Layla as a
researcher. And her talent far exceeded my imagination.」
「That's, impossible. Layla is
a woman, you know? There's no way she can do research.」
「Why can't she because she's a woman? In fact, Layla
tracked down the cause of the mass withering of wheat and even established a
solution for it. Thanks to that, despite the long rains, the Kanista Kingdom
safely finished the wheat harvest this year as well.」
The
one who reacted first to those words was Carter-sama. Carter-sama,
who had been watching the course of events from a little behind, marched
briskly over to me.
「Layla, did you steal my...
research?! You shameless woman!」
「Of course not. After that evening
banquet, I went directly to the Kanista Kingdom. I had no opportunity to
take out any research materials.」
「For something like that, since you
were involved in that research, you must remember things...」
「Oh, but wasn't I just doing chores
and absolutely not involved in the research?」
Carter-sama's face turned red, and his
mouth opened and closed soundlessly. Surely, he couldn't tell the truth in
front of so many people.
Buzz
buzz,
people suddenly started making a commotion. Wondering what happened, I looked
and saw His Highness the Second Prince walking toward us. Wondering why
His Highness was at Aisha's wedding, I looked at my parents, and both of
them had faces as if they were caught completely off guard. It seemed this was
an unexpected appearance.
「Tell me about that in detail.」
I
hurriedly bowed my head to the appearing His Highness the Second Prince.
Carter-sama also bowed his head as if surprised while stepping back.
「A report just came in that the mass
withering of wheat has begun. So I hurriedly came to ask Carter about
that pesticide in detail. Is it true that it was an abundant harvest in the Kanista
Kingdom again this year?」
「Yes, it is true. I will have Layla
explain the details.」
Ashren-sama urged me with his gaze. His
Highness the Second Prince revealed his displeasure at me, a woman,
stepping forward, but I decided to speak without minding it.
「According to my investigation, the
cause of the mass withering of wheat is not the proliferation of bacteria. I
discovered that a stratum near the summits of the mountains around here
contains components that are toxic to wheat. When it rains heavily and the
rainwater reaches that stratum, the mass withering occurs. And, having
discovered a solution to this cause, the Kanista Kingdom was able to
obtain the same harvest yield as the previous year.」
「Does that mean the pesticide Carter
made cannot prevent the mass withering of wheat?」
「If it has already started to wither, I believe it will
rapidly spread throughout the country from here on out.」
At
my words, not only His Highness the Second Prince but also the gathered
people gasped. And they started to make a commotion, buzz buzz. The
nobles growing wheat in their territories turned pale, and the merchants
started consulting about where they should import from.
「That's impossible! His Highness the Second
Prince, Layla is merely a woman. Such research results cannot be
relied upon. Besides, isn't the Director of the Kanista Kingdom's
laboratory a woman? You must not believe in the developments of a laboratory
run by a foolish woman...」
「Hey, Carter, are you making
such a disrespectful remark knowing who the Director is!?」
The angry roar of His Highness the Second Prince, interrupting Carter-sama's remark, echoed through the venue.