[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 45


Layla's Future 5


Which means...? When Carter-sama asked, flustered by His Highness the Second Prince's threatening attitude, that gaze grew even stronger.

The Director of the Medicinal Herb Laboratory is the older sister of the King of Kanista. You, a mere Earl, publicly insulted someone of foreign royal blood.

...The Director is the King's older sister?

Due to the sheer shock, I let go of Ashren-sama's arm that I had been holding, and asked his profile in a daze. Then, he returned a fearless smile in silence, and blood rushed to my head.

To think that I was the only one who didn't know, even though we were together all this time! Why didn't anyone tell me? Even when I asked Flora and Tick, they just avoided the question. The people in the Pharmaceutical Department and the Knight Order... perhaps they thought I already knew, but. But, still. Couldn't someone have told me?

Layla, calm down. I wanted to tell you too. However, perhaps because my mother loved my father deeply, she insists on being the Marchioness Naturi and hates being treated as a former princess. Her thoroughness is such that even when foreign dignitaries arrive, she never introduces herself as former royalty. Therefore, it is an unspoken agreement that everyone respects my mother's wishes and does not mention she is royalty. That being said, her influence is still significant, though.

Because it was the Director who got things approved by the Knight Order and civil officials, and even moved the royal family. Thinking about it that way, my previous doubts suddenly made sense. But, I still can't accept it.

Besides, I suddenly thought. The current King has one princess. This is quite dangerous for the country. It is natural for a country to prepare a spare in case something happens to the princess. In that case, who would be second in line to the throne?

The Director left the royal family and married into a Marquis family, so she's excluded. The current Marquis Naturi has succeeded the Marquis family, so he's also excluded. If someone props him up there's a possibility, but at this stage, it's unthinkable that he is officially considered the successor.

If so. There is only one conceivable answer. It's terrifying, but I can't think of anything else.

When I firmly pulled his arm this time and questioned my realization, Ashren-sama scratched his cheek with a wry smile, realizing he couldn't dodge this one.

Well, I am just a spare in the end. It's a succession right in name only.

No, no, "in name only", you say. Because proper royal blood flows in Ashren-sama. And quite thick at that. And that goes for Marquis Naturi and Karin too.

I felt a slight dizziness. I was about to shout "Tell me!" when I realized. Ashren-sama must have definitely, all this time, been enjoying watching me not know anything.

By the way, Your Highness Carlos. I heard Lord Carter made a new medicine effective against the disease that spreads in autumn.

Carlos is the name of His Highness the Second Prince. I realized somewhat belatedly that they were acquainted, understanding Ashren-sama's position.

Yeah, he exported it to the Kanista Kingdom too. It's a specific medicine I approved.

That is poison. I believe it would be a good idea to have production stopped immediately.

What!!

I also rolled my eyes in surprise at the sudden words. Because I don't know about that specific medicine.

We investigated it before distributing it in our country. Then, we found out that medicinal herbs that must be used after being completely dried were being used half-dried.

You're saying that makes it poison?

Yes. There are no noticeable side effects when taken. This poison slips into the blood vessels, multiplies using the blood as nutrients, gradually drains stamina, and ultimately leads to death.

His Highness the Second Prince's face quickly changed color. Just as I thought he started trembling, he suddenly grabbed Carter-sama.

Hey! Is what Lord Ashren says true? My daughter took that medicine a week ago. I was relieved her epidemic disease was cured, but since last night she hasn't been feeling well.

Hearing that, the gathered people made a commotion.

My son too. He drank that medicine and his diarrhea certainly stopped. But day by day his complexion is getting worse.

My grandmother too. Now she is completely bedridden.

The whispers that were small at first grew steadily larger, and everyone's severe gazes were directed at Carter-sama. Receiving those voices, Ashren-sama took one step forward.

Please rest assured. There is a way to save them.

What kind of way!? I will pay any price! Please save my daughter!!

Where did the rough attitude I saw at the evening banquet go? His Highness the Second Prince clung to Ashren-sama with tears in his eyes.

When we went to investigate the mass withering of wheat, Layla coincidentally found a precious medicinal herb. Using that as an ingredient, we made an antidote several times more effective than conventional ones, and coincidentally... it is in my carriage.

That woman there made it...?

Yes. Our country's excellent researcher, who prevented the mass withering of wheat, made it. We also have a large amount of antidotes and medicinal herbs loaded on our ship, so it is possible to hand those over to you, but what will you do?

His Highness the Second Prince closed his eyes while unable to hide his bewilderment, and after silently contemplating for a while, walked over to me.

Lady Layla Wilbas, you are an excellent researcher. I was trapped only by gender, and have lost a great asset in you. I apologize for my rudeness at the evening banquet a year ago. Please save my daughter.

I accept your apology.

I raised my face straight and smiled with dignity. Blushing in embarrassment, being modest, or smiling cutely—those aren't like me. Regardless of being a woman or a man, I am proud to have been acknowledged as a single researcher.

At Ashren-sama's order, a servant brought the antidote from the carriage. Upon receiving it, Ashren-sama and His Highness the Second Prince hurriedly headed to the castle on fast horses.

It was when I was also about to follow after them in a carriage.

Well then, with this, we can finally have our wedding, right!!

A stupidly out-of-place remark echoed, and everyone doubted their own ears. However, Aisha smiled with satisfaction that attention was finally gathered on her.

Aisha, what are you thinking? Don't you understand that the new medicine you two made is putting people's lives at risk?

You're the one who needs to stop, Oneesama. Do you dislike me being the main character that much? You've been the only one standing out since a while ago, and going that far to tear apart my and Carter-sama's relationship is disgraceful beyond measure.

How do you have to interpret that situation to end up like that? Now that the mass withering of wheat is happening and the side effects of the new medicine are known, why would she think they can have a wedding?

Carter-sama, you investigated the side effects of the new medicine, didn't you?

Of course.

Did you do it yourself?

No, I asked Aisha. Aisha, there was no problem with the new medicine, right?

Sure enough, Aisha lowered her eyebrows as if troubled, and shook her head while making her eyes tear up.

What are side effects?

Those words were fatal. The occurrence of the mass withering of wheat, the sloppy development of a new medicine, and the severe side effects caused by it. From the surroundings, jeers started flying without holding back anymore.

Are you guys still researchers despite that?

Are you trying to kill people?

Aisha was bewildered by the words far from blessings, and though she tried to cry her way out of it, the criticism didn't stop. Carter-sama fell to his knees and lay face down on the floor, no longer moving.

I left that place, which had begun to fall into chaos, and headed for my carriage. There is no longer any meaning in being in this place.

Therefore, I don't know what happened to the wedding after that. I don't want to know either.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>