[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 49


Unchanging Days and Changed Things 2

 

Author's Note: At the end of Volume 1, Layla asks Ashren for an engagement period of one year. In the Kanista Kingdom, an engagement period of a few months is normal, but in the Jilgista Kingdom, several years is the standard. At that time, she confessed to a reluctant Ashren, "I want to enjoy doing things like lovers do." Taking advantage of this, Ashren began touching and teasing Layla at every opportunity.

 

While harboring gloomy feelings, we were having dinner as usual at the separate estate of the Naturi Marquis family. Ashren-sama, who had finished eating first, brought the subject up as if he had just remembered.

Tomorrow is our day off; do you have any plans?

No, my wedding dress measurements were finished last month, and we decided on the design for the rings, right?

Preparations for the wedding ceremony a few months from now were progressing steadily. On my finger sat the blue diamond ring I received half a year ago. It is so large that I attach it to a chain and wear it as a necklace while working, and I have finally gotten used to its weight recently.

Apart from that, we invited a peddler last month and ordered matching wedding rings as well. These are engraved platinum, with a single small blue diamond attached only to my ring. I chose a simple design that I could wear even while working.

In that case, there is somewhere I want to go with you; is that alright?

Yes. Where are we going?

To get furniture for the estate. We'll need it, won't we?

Eh, do we need it? It has already been a year and a half since I started living in this estate, so I don't think there is anything we formally need anew.

I thought we would move out once we got married, but Marquis Naturi asked us to continue living in the separate estate. Because he is often away, he feels uneasy leaving only the Director and Karin-chan behind, so he wants Ashren-sama to be here. As I tilted my head in confusion, Ashren-sama shook his head and sighed.

Could it possibly be that you intend to continue living in the guest room?

...Ah.

Being told that, I finally realized what he meant.

Even though it is a separate estate, the mansion is large, as expected of something belonging to a Marquis family. The first floor has the dining room, salon, and living room, as well as the rooms for live-in servants. The second floor has guest rooms, an office, and a library. The third floor consists of private rooms. Naturally, Ashren-sama's room is on the third floor, and I am using a guest room on the second floor.

Could it be that my room will change to the third floor?

Yes, it will. Because you are going to be my wife.

He smiled sweetly, but the corner of his thin, beautifully shaped mouth was twitching slightly. He is angry.

R-Right, I see.

The room next to mine will be the marital bedroom. The one next to that will be your room, Layla. We have to get furniture, curtains, and various other things to put in those two rooms.

That is quite an undertaking, isn't it.

If we're going to have them custom-made, we're cutting it close. Therefore, tomorrow will be busy.

Understood.

I swallowed the words, 'They don't have to be custom-made, though.' My room aside, that wouldn't do for the marital bedroom... I thought, and then suddenly realized.

I have never been to the third floor!

You finally noticed? I have been waiting with anticipation, wondering exactly when you were going to come.

T-That is...

Even if he looks at me with suspicious eyes, I'm at a loss.

Ashren-sama's office on the second floor is relatively close to the guest room I am using, and I have entered there many times. Since he is usually in either the living room, the office, or the library, there was no need for me to visit his room on the third floor.

You have hardly ever come into the guest room I am using either, Ashren-sama.

Oh, would it have been fine for me to enter? In that case, I will visit you tonight.

...No, it is messy, so please don't.

His narrowed eyes are even scarier. When I hurriedly declined, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I wouldn't mind, though," and even grumbled, "The servants under my mother's influence are too excellent, it's a problem."

Right, seeing the rooms before we go choose furniture will help you get a better image of them. Let's go now.

Saying so, Ashren-sama stood up from his seat and held out his hand to me with a smile that allowed no argument. Right now? I thought, but figuring it made sense, I took his hand, stood up, and set foot on the stairs leading to the third floor for the first time.

Just going up one floor really changes the view you can see, doesn't it.

Because the ceilings are high. Now, this is your room, Layla.

Proceeding down a corridor that looked the same as the second floor aside from the view, Ashren-sama opened a door for me. The room, located almost directly above the guest room I am using, was dim, with the moonlight casting shadows of the window frame onto the carpet on the floor.

Ashren-sama lit the candles on the candelabra fixed to the wall, making it possible to see the entire room clearly.

It is spacious, isn't it.

The guest room I am using now is also surprisingly large, but perhaps because there is no furniture, this one feels even bigger. Wondering if it's really okay for me to use such a magnificent room, I stood frozen at the entrance, and Ashren-sama put his hand on the door attached to the far wall and opened it.

I went ahead and filled the closet for you. Though, there is still plenty of room if you pack them in, so you can put whatever you like in the remaining space.

Eh? Jogging over to Ashren-sama, I saw that two-thirds of the closet, which covered an entire wall, was already filled with dresses.

T-These are... did you choose these for me, Ashren-sama?

It is only natural to prepare dresses for one's fiancée, isn't it? I have gathered the bare minimum necessities.

Thank you very much. Furthermore, they are all to my taste.

I commissioned the tailor where we ordered your wedding dress, so the sizes should be correct. The summer clothes are all there, so let's go buy autumn and winter clothes together.

I was told a dowry wasn't even necessary, so to have him prepare things this far for me honestly makes my heart ache, but at times like this, Ashren-sama is happier if I honestly say "Thank you very much."

The fact that there are many light-blue dresses is probably considering that we will be attending evening banquets as a married couple from now on. On a small built-in shelf inside the closet sat an accessory case, and inside, jewelry matching the dresses was lined up.

There were also day dresses for everyday use, but they were clearly of better quality than what I usually wear.

Thank you so much for all this. Moreover, they are so luxurious it is a waste on me.

Is that so? Upon marriage, I will be granted the title of Earl, so I chose items befitting of that. As a Marchioness, you would need even more expensive things.

As expected of Ashren-sama, born and raised as a member of the Naturi Marquis family. He is nonchalantly poking at the jewelry. Those diamonds are several levels larger and have higher transparency than the ones my mother had, you know. As I closed the lid of the accessory case with slightly trembling hands, Ashren-sama chuckled softly. But I just can't get used to this, so it can't be helped.

Leaving me dumbfoundedly staring at the dresses, Ashren-sama headed to the opposite wall and opened another door there.

The bed is this way, and my room is beyond that.

In other words, the marital bedroom. Ashren-sama's figure disappeared into the darkness, and before long, lights began to turn on in the room one by one. I carefully closed the closet and, feeling a bit tense, stepped into that room.

...There is nothing here, is there.

It was so bleak that my heart stopped pounding. Seeing me like that, Ashren-sama was exasperated.

Of course there isn't. That is why we are going to buy things tomorrow.

R-Right, of course.

Half of the wall facing the garden was a window leading to the balcony. It's a size that would require custom-made curtains.

What this room needs is a sofa set, shelves, and a bed, I suppose. Is there any other furniture you want to put in here?

No, nothing comes to mind.

I can just put the dresser and desk in my room. What else could we need? I wondered.

I see. In that case, it looks like we can place a large bed.

!!

Let's put it around here. A canopy bed...

Ashren-sama spread both his arms. Eh, isn't that too big? I actually sleep quite still, you know.

The more specifically Ashren-sama explained, "from here to here," the more restless I became. Unable to bear it, I cut across the space where the bed was planned to be placed, opened the window leading to the balcony, stepped outside, and took a deep breath of the night breeze.

Haa, the cool breeze feels good on my hot cheeks. Hearing a chuckling voice behind me, it seems I was being teased after all.

The light in Karin-chan's room is out. The Director seems to still be awake. Come to think of it, I heard that Marquis Naturi will be returning soon.

The Marquis and his wife always return with an unmanageable amount of souvenirs. On that day alone, Karin-chan doesn't come to the separate estate and sticks closely to her parents. Or rather, it seems the doting Marquis won't let go of Karin-chan. Suddenly, I was gently embraced from behind.

W-What is the matter, so suddenly?

Thinking that the time we can enjoy doing things like lovers is coming to an end, I feel reluctant to part with it.

An exaggerated sigh fell on the nape of my neck, and the cheeks that had finally cooled down from the night breeze grew hot again.

I think you have enjoyed yourself more than enough.

How much I regretted ever saying those words. This two-faced man uses it as an indulgence to tease me at every opportunity. Even as we stood there, the weight pressing against my back increased.

True enough. However, we still have a few months left, so I'll enjoy it to the fullest...

You've had enough already, haven't you!?

When I forcefully turned around, his handsome face was closer than I thought. His silver hair shone bathed in the moonlight.

By the time I thought 'Oh no', it was too late. His ice-blue eyes narrowed sweetly, and his long fingers touched my chin.

The scent grew stronger as he drew closer, and I closed my eyes. I have never said it out loud, but I am also enjoying our time as lovers. I'm keeping it a secret, though, because if I told him, a level of doting that I couldn't handle would surely be waiting for me.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>