[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 468


Chapter 468

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

Visit of the Special Envoy

 

Even after finishing the inspection of the new territory in the East, we hurried ahead without slowing our pace. After all, regarding this current matter, we had departed from Kusanagi on the very same day we returned from the Principality of Fearalt, and more than anything, I now had an overwhelming urge to see Karin's face. And another important thing, I also have to properly talk to Anne.

Even thinking about it again, a marriage proposal for a mere four-year-old child is just utterly incorrigible... Even if it was forced upon me, it doesn't change the fact that I arbitrarily decided it and used my daughter for political purposes. If the positions were reversed, I would absolutely be enraged.

Harboring such thoughts, I ran earnestly along the highway connecting Izanami, where massive construction work was underway to turn the entire Izumo District into a city, to Kusanagi, and finally arrived at the castle gates. However...

「「「「「Welcome back!」」」」」

「???」

There stood my five wives, including Anne, the Minister of Internal Affairs Raymond, and all the top officials of the Demon Territory Dukedom, starting with the Commander. Everyone had lined up at the castle gates to welcome me, but...

Isn't this far too exaggerated? I myself have never received a 『Welcome』 to this extent in the past, you know?

True, when we stopped by the city of Termira and the Izanami Checkpoint on our way back, I know that a fast horse acting as a herald had ridden out ahead of us. Miseri, who should have originally been in Termira, was also absent, seemingly having gone to Kusanagi for some reason.

Don't tell me she came all the way to Kusanagi just for this 『Welcome』?

「I-I'm back... With everyone gathered together, what on earth is going on?」

「We heard that Takuhir-sama has fulfilled a 『Great Mission』, so we have all gathered to welcome you.」

The first to answer with a cool face was Raymond, but what great mission? What is he referring to?

「A Special Envoy has arrived from the Kingdom of Kyle, and I accompanied them, waiting for Takuhir-sama here in Kusanagi.」

Huh? What the hell is a Special Envoy! Miseri, I haven't heard anything about that. No, wait! A Special Envoy from the Kingdom of Kyle?

「Ho ho ho.」

Ugh, that distinct laugh, could it be...

「Allow me to once again express my joy at the safe return of His Majesty the Archduke. Furthermore, I hear you have promptly gifted a massive d·o·w·r·y to the Kingdom; His Majesty the King is exceedingly pleased. I humbly offer my gratitude to His Majesty the Archduke.」

Tch! That matter again! I purposely bypassed Kairal because I hate troublesome things, but the Old Tanuki accurately read my actions and got here ahead of me!

「W-We'll discuss this matter later!」

「Ho ho ho, of course. I, too, understand the proper procedures. We shall discuss that matter anew before His Majesty the Archduke...」

What proper procedures! You've already made 『Hinting』 remarks, and as a Special Envoy, you've set the stage for the marriage issue and come to properly corner me!

「Takuhir-sama, I apologize for this so soon after your return, but the preparations to welcome the Special Envoy from the Kingdom are complete.」

No, Raymond, you don't need to display your excellence in flawlessly preparing everything perfectly right here! With this, I can't even stall for time by saying it's 『For the sake of preparations』!

◇

The Special Envoy's side and the welcoming side had all their preparations in order, leaving nothing but to wait for my return... Given the situation, I had no choice but to change my clothes and proceed directly to the ceremony for meeting the Special Envoy.

The only place in the royal palace of the Demon Territory Dukedom that does not fall short compared to foreign nations is the grand hall, the venue where the New Year's banquet and official ceremonies are held. All the top officials stationed in Kusanagi and the surrounding areas had already gathered there, and when I sat in the seat (throne) set upon the dais, everyone kneeled.

「We shall now begin the audience with the Special Envoy from the Kingdom of Kyle, Grand Duke Klein.」

It can't be helped since it's diplomatic etiquette, but this line also sounds so arrogant that it doesn't suit my nature. Up until just three years ago, my position was the one requesting an audience, after all. The Old Tanuki, stepping forward with a nonchalant face, bowed with a beaming smile and then kneeled respectfully.

「To His Majesty Archduke Takuhir of the Westlights Demon Territory Dukedom, I hope you are in excellent health and spirits...」

My mood is exceedingly not excellent, though. Furthermore, the seasonal greetings and preambles adhering to diplomatic etiquette were nothing but unnecessary annoyances to me, so I simply let them go in one ear and out the other. After delivering a perfect speech, the Old Tanuki raised his head while still kneeling and took a beat of silence.

「This time, as a Special Envoy under the orders of my King, I have come to offer my 『Gratitude』 and make a 『Request』 to His Majesty the Archduke.」

「Oh? I have no memory of doing 『Something』 worthy of receiving gratitude from the King of Kyle, though?」

I purposely played dumb, but the Old Tanuki merely smiled with ample composure. Tch, does sarcasm not even work on him?

「I see, for a peerless hero such as His Majesty the Archduke, forcing the cessation of a vast territory—one-third of the Former Kingdom of Uros—without a fight, with but a single word, must be a trivial matter not even worth remembering. Furthermore, showing your 『Authority』 to the nations of the Federation and making them tremble in fear...」

「「「「「......」」」」」

Wait a minute! If you only take those words out of context, it sounds like I blackmailed the Federation with smooth talk and swindled their territory! It was strictly a peaceful discussion, and I merely mediated the negotiations. Thanks to the Old Tanuki's words, the faces of those lined up in attendance are slightly pulling back in dismay, aren't they!

「Due to the authority of His Majesty the Archduke, the nations of the Federation have all unanimously begun providing materials to our country free of charge, and discussions have concluded with the direction that all vested interests attached to the ceded lands will also be transferred to our country.」

I don't know anything about this, you know? I laid out the path and then left, telling them to handle the rest themselves. Stop phrasing it as if I seized not only the territory but also the vested interests, and even confiscated their materials!

「As a result, the Holy State of Istharius, which was showing signs of invasion, also withdrew its army, and the threat to our country was removed. This is all due to the majestic influence of His Majesty the Archduke. In response to this, my King has dispatched a Special Envoy to formally express his utmost gratitude.」

Bullshit! The main issue is the 『Request』, isn't it.

「Gratitude is unnecessary. I did not do 『Something』 to the extent of the words you just spoke, Special Envoy-dono. Even so, if I was able to be of use to the Kingdom of Kyle, then that is a fortunate tale... So, what is this 『Request』?」

Not wanting to drag this conversation out any longer, and hating the fear of wondering when a bombshell remark would drop, I couldn't help but broach the main topic myself.

「Yes! It is a matter concerning our hopes for the future prosperity of both nations, and to deepen our bonds even further.」

Saying so, the Old Tanuki gazed at Anne, who was standing at my left side, bowed, and then continued his words.

「At this time, our country wishes to welcome the princess of the Demon Territory Dukedom, Princess Karin, as the consort to First Prince Fortis. I have come as a Special Envoy seeking the conclusion of this engagement.」

「「「「「Ooooohh!」」」」」

Hearing this, those present raised voices of surprise in unison, but if anything, it was a surprise in a good sense, and their expressions were bright.

I fearfully looked at Anne, but she merely stood there with her expression erased. Rather, the reactions of my other wives seemed larger... Don't tell me, are they happy about this? Claire, for instance, looks like she's covering her mouth and crying tears of joy?

「The unofficial talks have already been solidified between my King and His Majesty the Archduke, but our country wished to set the proper stage and extend the utmost courtesy in welcoming the Princess...」

「T-That's...」

Don't just say the talks have been solidified on your own! At that point in time, I only said I would 『Consider it positively』! However... against them, who had cleanly cut down every single one of my concerns regarding the kingdom's laws and the royal family's customs, it was no longer a matter I could refuse.

My gaze unconsciously turned toward Anne and Raymond. After letting out a small sigh, Anne nodded and wore a gentle smile that she rarely shows to others, and Raymond nodded at me while floating a cool smile.

I have no choice but to brace myself now. The Kingdom's side has come this far to set the stage, after all.

Though I personally have a strong feeling that I've been set up by them.

「I gratefully accept the offer from the King of Kyle. However, Karin is still young, so it would be helpful if we could treat this as an engagement at this current stage. We, too, intend to raise her properly from here on out so that she grows into someone fitting to be sent off.」

「Congratulations!」

「「「「「All of us vassals humbly express our joy and congratulations!」」」」」

After my reply, the Commander's loud voice echoed without a moment's delay, and everyone present raised their voices in joy in unison with proud expressions on their faces, but...

If you think about it with common sense, it's a tremendous honor, isn't it? For me, knowing various circumstances of the royal family, I have complicated feelings about it.

「In addition, I have been instructed by my King. Since we have already received the massive dowry for Princess Karin from His Majesty the Archduke, the Kingdom will also prepare 500,000 gold coins and a fiefdom equivalent to an earldom from the new territory in the North as a return gift, and we will send an annual cosmetics allowance to the Princess and her mother, Archduchess Anne.」

Hahaha, for a four-year-old Karin, a massive engagement gift on top of a fiefdom and a cosmetics allowance... There really is no turning back now, is there. Truly... is this really okay?

Amidst the vassals boiling over with delight and raising voices of joy, I alone was holding my head in my hands within my mind. While feeling a tinge of loneliness...

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>