[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Chapter 470


Chapter 470

(Kyle Calendar Year 516: Age 23)

Post-Proposal Response

 

Even after finally making it back to Kusanagi at long last, the rapidly successive audience with the Special Envoy, and the important family meeting were safely concluded, but even so, I wasn't permitted to slowly catch my breath. The reason was that there were still two more post-proposal responses that needed to be handled urgently.

「Sorry for being so rushed, but I'm going to quickly head to the Falmus Margraviate with the Commander. I plan to return in about five days, so I'm sorry, but can I ask you all to handle the 『field trip』 for the executive committee members that the Academy Principal brought along?」

Right, upon departing the Royal Capital as a Special Envoy, the Old Tanuki had quickly convened the executive committee members as the first group and brought them along with the Special Envoy's party, didn't he. Moreover, a total of fifteen people! I can understand they are fully motivated, but it also goes to show just how pressed for time the Kingdom side is.

As active officials, the executive committee included the Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs under his own jurisdiction, the Vice Minister of Commerce, the Vice Minister of Internal Affairs, the Chief Officer of the Construction Bureau, the Chief Administrator of the Royal Capital Knight Order, and even the Chief Officer to the Minister of Finance. From the academy in the Royal Capital, they selected and brought five students, primarily second-years who would still be students next year, and from the young nobles, five individuals including the children of active Ministers.

All of them were still young, the oldest being barely thirty, individuals on a fast-track elite course in the Kingdom who are apparently expected to bear the burden of the next generation's national politics.

By the way, speaking of a Vice Minister in Japan, it's a considerably high-ranking position, but in the Kingdom's personnel system, it's akin to an Assistant Section Chief class, a gateway position for those who will rise in the Kingdom.

「Yes. Using past tournament operations as case studies, I will lecture on overall organizational management and necessary budgets for the upcoming event, and drill into them the roles and job descriptions using the existing executive committee as an example.」

Yeah, Miseri is the perfect fit. She was the one who oversaw the entirety of the numerous events held thus far as the executive branch, after all.

「Based on the manuals compiling past business negotiations and exhibitions by the domain residents, I will lecture on recruitment methods, operational regulations, and challenges for each.」

It is true that Yoltia was in charge of managing the trade fairs held in the past, and she also handled the exhibitions from the domain residents. She will surely be able to speak exactly with the air of experience.

「I will lecture on the role the reception desk played as the contact point for tournament operations, venue operations, voting, and various applications, along with examples of actual problems and Q&As.」

Right, when it comes to talking about the reception desk, there is no one who surpasses Claire. To be honest, various tournaments and events cannot be run without a reception desk.

「In that case, should I talk about arranging the receiving structure, preparing accommodations according to the situation, dining facilities, and the renting and construction of temporary accommodations? Though if anything, I think Miseri-san and Yoltia-san would be more knowledgeable about...」

「「Anne-sama will be fine.」」

Both Miseri and Yoltia answered immediately. Of course, I share the same opinion. Anne has always observed things from the position closest to me. In that aspect, there is no one who surpasses her.

「In that case... perhaps I should propose utilizing existing organizations and operational methods, cooperation among nobles, and ways to utilize the academy students, all based on the current situation in the Royal Capital?」

No one understands the current situation in the Royal Capital better than Yuka. She also worked as an advisor when launching the shooting range in the Royal Capital, she knows the internal affairs of the academy better than anyone, and she has connections and interactions with the noble young ladies. This, too, is a job only she can do.

「Hahaha, you're all perfect. I want you to squeeze them as hard as you can. The Old Tanuki also asked me to 『use them without holding back』.」

Regarding this part, I could confidently leave it to them as if sailing on a large ship. I have a few ideas in mind for the proposal, but rather than putting them out myself first, it's best to have the executive committee discuss it.

Thus, as an additional dispatch force, I led 2,000 Special Firearms Corps troops and 2,000 Demon Territory Knights, and departed together with the Commander.

◇◇◇

From Kusanagi to the eastern edge of the Falmus Margraviate, the ceded land from the former Kingdom of Cain, is a two-day journey one way even on horseback, but the Commander did not allow us to simply hurry and advance.

He subdivided the 4,000-strong unit into units of 500, and imposed various tasks while marching, such as formation changes and horseback archery. If they showed disgraceful behavior here, they would have to cut into their break and meal times to handle tasks like going ahead to prepare for the next training or staying behind to clean up, so every unit tackled it desperately.

As expected, a demon is a demon even in peacetime; it's business as usual, huh?

Because of such things, we arrived at our destination slightly earlier than planned, all while undergoing a hard movement that could easily be called a military exercise.

「His Majesty the Archduke, we have been waiting for you! Because our strength was insufficient, we caused you unnecessary worry; we have no words to express our shame...」

Saying so, Margrave Falmus was full of apologies right from the start, but that's incorrect. To begin with, telling them to 『Prepare for an army of tens of thousands』 with a military force of only 3,000 is an unreasonable demand in itself.

「That's incorrect. The situation simply progressed beyond our expectations, so there is no need to worry about anything. On the contrary, even though it's a territory I entrusted to you, I feel apologetic for arbitrarily deciding to build a stronghold here.」

Right, even for me, the changes in the Republic of Laconia that I heard from Emperor Grat and King Courage were completely unexpected news.

「I hear the Director of the National Land Development Bureau, Elan, has already started marking out the territory?」

「Yes. When he first visited for an inspection, he brought along several bureau members in addition to Water Mages and Earth Mages, so...」

Hahaha, his work is as fast as ever. The fact that he was a workaholic since the old days hasn't changed even now, huh? He isn't single anymore; if he doesn't moderate himself, won't Sasha file a complaint to me?

「So, what's the outlook?」

「I hear construction on the moat and outer walls will begin very soon. In parallel, laborers will be allocated from the border to first prepare a place where the minimum necessities of sleeping and eating are possible, and though it will be temporary, a garrison base for a scale of ten thousand will be prepared first. He mentioned expanding that scale in the future, and after deciding on the construction plans moving forward, he temporarily returned to the construction site on the border highway for now, but...」

I see. Over there, the foundation work for the city is finished and the box is ready; what's left is constructing the interior and building the checkpoint on the Principality's side, right? In that case, it seems possible to allocate laborers in stages.

By the way, there is a reason why Margrave Falmus pays respect to Elan. Originally, Elan is a Baron; the Margrave is significantly higher in status. However! Status is one thing, but there is also his official position.

The current Elan is treated the same as a Minister, so in terms of his duties, he is treated the same as a Marquis. Moreover, he is a key vassal shouldering the core of the Demon Territory Dukedom, and one of the meritorious retainers of the nation's founding. Therefore, even though he is higher in peerage as a Margrave, he treats Elan with courtesy.

「For the time being, the Demon Territory Knights commanded by the Commander will rotate under the guise of exercises, so 2,000 Demon Territory Knights and 1,000 Special Firearms Corps troops will always be stationed here. Until then, I want the Margrave to also rotate 2,000 troops from your forces to be stationed here.」

「Yes, understood. We, too, carry the honor of the House of Falmus, and are grateful to have been granted the restoration of our house and the great duty of Margrave. We will continue to strive with all sincerity to meet your expectations.」

Well, the restoration of the House of Falmus was strictly the dying wish of Margrave Hastburg; I simply had good timing and was able to execute it.

「I don't know if this will serve as a souvenir yet, but once the temporary garrison is complete, 2,000 troops each from the two adjacent nations and the Principality, and though it may be slightly delayed, from the Kingdom of Kyle as well, will enter. I'm sure it will cause you some anxiety, but I want you to deepen exchanges with the armies of other nations and make a name for yourself as a Margrave.」

「Y... Yes!」

Right, it was the same for me, but the Margrave was also just a frontier Baron until a few years ago. Naturally, he has no acquaintances in the center of the Kingdom, and exchanges with other nations were out of the question. Therefore, I believe I understand his hardships and his feelings of inadequacy. Right now, I want him to break out of his past shell as quickly as possible.

「Just as a suggestion, if it were me, I would prepare a town near the garrison with restaurants offering ingredients from each country, and various forms of entertainment. In the near future, when construction is complete, over 10,000 soldiers will be stationed at the border stronghold. The money dropped by the soldiers coming from there will be significant, you know?」

「Ah! T-That's certainly true...」

That's right, since we're going through the trouble, I want him to effectively utilize it not just as a security stronghold, but economically as well. By extension, that will empower the Margrave.

「You shouldn't fret over that area alone; you should consult with the Minister of Internal Affairs, Raymond. And additionally, I would also recommend preparing the commercial flow and highways in advance. Enormous amounts of materials, starting with food, will be going back and forth every day, after all.」

If it's Raymond, he will point out any deficiencies, and after taking the good with the bad, he will likely propose the necessary facilities. And above all, highway maintenance and securing commercial flow; preparing these or not makes a world of difference.

「Then I have a request. Taking the construction of the town as a certainty, I wish to receive a name from His Majesty the Archduke for the new town that will become our hope!」

I mean, why is naming always sprung on me so abruptly? It's not something you can easily come up with. Given the flow so far, the Goddess series is good too, but what should I do... If possible, something derived from each country would be good, right? Since it's a town that will prosper because of them.

「!!!」

Hahaha, I thought of one. It's simple, but maybe that makes it better?

「How about 『Gufrica』 for the town's name? Including the meaning of gratitude to each country that will place stationed troops here.」

「Gufrica? G-U-F-R-I-C-A... ah!」

You noticed, huh? I just simply took the first letter from the name of each country, though. Still, the sentiment should get across.

「After that, let's see, instead of just showing gratitude with a name, I think it would be good to research the commemorative days of each country in advance and plan events on those days. For example, on the birthday of the Emperor of the Empire, you could set up temporary stalls to celebrate it, or offer one free ale to Imperial soldiers. If you cherish and celebrate their homeland, they won't feel bad about it.」

「I feel like I've finally understood the reason why His Majesty the Archduke's territory has developed so outstandingly. Not only are you quick to seize an opportunity, but you even take people's hearts into consideration... Thank you very much!」

Saying so, Margrave Falmus bowed his head deeply, faint tears welling up in his eyes.

◇

A few years from this day, in the Demon Territory Dukedom, a city that achieved remarkable development outside the direct control of the Archduke would be born. It is said that this city was governed in a manner unparalleled in this world, catering to the five allied nations, and the stationed troops dispatched from each country could enjoy themselves, find healing, and feel their homelands in that city.

However, while the officially decreed name of the city was 『Gufrica』, it is said that the Margrave who governed the area alone stubbornly called the city 『Ugufrica』, perplexing the officials. One day, when an official gathered the courage to ask the reason, he smiled and said, 『I am aware it causes unnecessary confusion. But I alone wish to constantly express my gratitude in words to the one to whom I owe a great debt.』

As time passed, the city of Gufrica would become one of the prominent cities in the Demon Territory Dukedom, boasting a population of tens of thousands, but only two people know that its beginning was on this day.

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>