[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Special 13


Special Edition Commemorating the Release of Volume 8

The Inception of the Executive Committee ① — Drastic Treatment

 

Participating in the ceremony at the Principality of Fearalt, expeditions to two Demon Territorys, diplomacy with the Kingdom of Kyle, inspections of the Kingdom's new territories, and inspections of the domestic front lines—having traveled a distance normally impossible within a single month, I was finally able to return to Kusanagi and settle down.

However, even so, it's not like all the work I was holding onto was finished...

The day after my return, having just completed a grueling schedule (though compared to my usual, it was nothing much) of receiving lectures from my wives while inspecting various related facilities, I met with the executive committee members brought over by the Old Tanuki.

「Now then, I hear you are the elites of the Kingdom handpicked by Duke Klein. Today marks the first meeting since the executive committee was formed, but I have just one request for all of you.」

After saying that, I looked out over the assembled individuals once more. However, a slight exhaustion was evident in their expressions; there was no sense of excitement or sparkling enthusiasm. Compared to when I launched the executive committee with my current companions in the past, I felt they lacked that forward-leaning spirit and the elation of expecting something great.

「You need not hold back even against me. When exchanging discussions, I want you to view each other as comrades executing the same objective, regardless of status or position. There is no need for strange hesitation or reading into things when speaking, so please proactively raise your voices with whatever comes to mind. While etiquette as a person is necessary during discussions, there is no need for etiquette in the content of the opinions exchanged.」

Looking at it a bit cynically, they had a feeling of being 『forced to do this』, and based on what I heard from my wives, I feel they haven't quite digested 『for what purpose』 this current mission exists, and 『for whose sake』 it is.

Especially regarding the bureaucrats, they purposefully selected those who are 『busy』 on a regular basis. Therefore, it can't be helped if they have a negative mindset due to the increase in unnecessary, troublesome tasks. I also doubt the Old Tanuki's side has spoken candidly to them about the Kingdom's weaknesses and the circumstances leading up to this point...

It's a bit pitiful, but should I resort to drastic treatment? At the very beginning of facing them, I made my resolve.

「Now then, keeping the previous preamble in mind, I assume you have heard from Duke Klein the circumstances under which this executive committee was formed, but I would like to ask anew: What is our objective?」

At my question, a young male student who was likely still attending the academy energetically raised his hand. Yeah, I like that kind of reaction.

「It is to ensure the success of the athletic competitions and business negotiations inviting various nations.」

「That is certainly true, but that is a means, not the objective. The objective lies elsewhere.」

When I said that, many of them looked down with bewildered expressions, but only the male Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs looked back straight at me, though even in his eyes, there seemed to be some sort of bewilderment.

「I will say it again. This is not the Kingdom; strange hesitation and concern are unnecessary, and in order to lead this to success, you need the resolve to share all the information held by each department right here and now. It is better to state clearly what you are thinking.」

Apparently deciding his resolve upon hearing these words, he raised his hand anew.

「This is what I heard unofficially, but it is to solidify the Kingdom's standing against foreign nations. I was told it is to deepen relationships with each country by hosting this.」

Given his position, he might still be mincing his words, huh? It might be difficult for them to speak due to their ties, but since we're here, it's better to have them recognize it clearly.

「This was my proposal, but it is being implemented after formally receiving a request from the Kingdom. Therefore, ostensibly, the previous answer is correct. However, though it is no wonder you do not know, a crucial perspective is missing. Do you know what it is?」

That's right, they need to know the pressing circumstances of why this tournament is being held. For this executive committee, there is no meaning in simply participating.

「I want you all to know this as the major premise and circumstance: the Kingdom has formed an alliance with five nations, including our country. However, among all the related nations, the Kingdom alone has been unilaterally left far behind. To the point that the King of Kyle and the Minister of Foreign Affairs are desperately considering it a 『crisis of the Kingdom's survival』.」

Upon saying that, a commotion arose in the meeting room, and evident agitation could be seen among the participants. Here, the student from earlier spoke up anew.

「W-Why is that! Our country emerged victorious in the war against the Empire, and also victorious in the war against the Principality rebel army, and Princess Clarisse has now become the Archduchess. Against the Kingdom of Lute-Ville-Cain as well, though it was in the form of reinforcements to the Demon Territory Dukedom, the Royal Capital Knight Order achieved victory. Despite all that!」

Yeah, it's a straightforward opinion typical of a student, and it's reasonable to think that way. However, even if it is formally true, the postwar flow and developments have changed drastically.

「That's fine. You may freely express whatever you are thinking just like now. What I am about to say is something that can only be described as unfortunate for the Kingdom. Right now, there is no one in the Kingdom who can act as its face to foreign nations, no one who has directly formed friendships with their heads of state. Previously, Princess Clarisse bore that role, but now that she has become the Archduchess, she is no longer a person of the Kingdom.」

「I-Is that so important?」

They do not know all the information. It might even be natural that they still don't understand even with this.

「To put it bluntly, with the exception of the Kingdom, all the heads of state, myself included, are eccentrics unbound by common sense. While this is not something to be praised, it has spelled disaster for the Kingdom.」

I tried to keep up appearances with this, though. To be frank, in a sense, we are all basically masses of unconventionality in this world.

「Even in these past six months alone, the heads of the four nations have traveled to each other's countries three times, met face-to-face intimately, shared drinks in taverns just like commoners do, and discussed our mutual nations and the future of the world.」

「「「「「!!!」」」」」

It seems they have finally understood the 『unconventionality』 I am speaking of. However, it seems they still cannot imagine what kind of result that has brought about...

「However, neither the King of Kyle nor the First Prince was present at those intimate discussions of ours. Not even once. What kind of result do you think this brings about?」

「「「「「......」」」」」

「I repeat, I am not blaming the King of Kyle. It was simply that we were far too unconventional despite being in the position of Kings. However!」

Having said this much, I took a beat and looked around at everyone, then turned back to the official sent from the Foreign Affairs Bureau, who should be the most versed in diplomacy.

「Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs, I dare to ask: between a counterpart with whom you have intimately shared drinks and spoken candidly on a personal level, and a counterpart with whom you only correspond through diplomatic documents, which one would you, as a person handling diplomacy, side with?」

「Of course, the counterpart with whom I have spoken candidly. However, that is a matter of sentiment; in a world based on high-level politics...」

Fufufu, that answer was already anticipated. That is correct, yet incorrect.

「That is the correct answer if you are a bureaucrat. But we are Kings, you know? The sentiments of the King become the will of the country as they are. Much less the fact that those entrusted with nations have spoken candidly with each other. Skipping past all the troublesome politics and appearances. I believe you understand what that means?」

「......」

「The Kings of the four nations met just the other day, yet we are already talking about 『when we will gather next』. But the Kingdom of Kyle is not included there. This 『distance of hearts』 will likely grow even larger than it is now going forward. That is precisely why the King of Kyle and the Minister of Foreign Affairs are panicking, calling it a 『crisis of the Kingdom's survival』.」

「Yes... I understand perfectly.」

They are by no means foolish. They must have started to feel firsthand just how dire the current situation is. In the past, the Kingdom repeatedly made diplomatic blunders, leading to a situation where surrounding nations invaded from four directions. Because it is obvious that if things continue as they are, even if it doesn't go that far, the Kingdom alone will be left far behind the other four nations in various aspects.

「I hear you all are highly promising individuals who will shoulder the next generation of the Kingdom. However... when the time comes for you to bear the Kingdom upon your shoulders, is it acceptable for the Kingdom alone to be left out in the cold by foreign nations?」

That's right, I want them to consider this as their own problem here. Even if they themselves attain glory and success in the future, if the country itself is in decline, their efforts up to that point will simply be in vain.

「That is precisely why I made this current proposal. As a means to forcibly pull the King of Kyle and the First Prince together into the circle of foreign nations. For the future of the Kingdom, and for those who will shoulder the future of the Kingdom... Have you understood what I wanted to convey now?」

「「「「「Yes!」」」」」

Yeah, that's a good response. I have expectations for them, and I want them to give it their all. More than anything, for their own futures...

「Then from here is the main subject. First, the athletic competitions. We have a track record of holding a crossbow tournament in the Royal Capital previously, but what shall we do for the competitions held this time? Please discuss this.」

Upon saying that, they began to move. The first to speak were the academy students, who had no political ties and were unbound by budgets.

「How about implementing an advanced version of that? It can demonstrate the might of the Kingdom, and would that not result in fulfilling our objective?」

「No good. The crossbows, thanks in part to His Majesty the Archduke, are no match for the Demon Territory Dukedom, but against other nations, they give us an overwhelming advantage. The participating nations will not find such a competition interesting. I think it would ultimately result in closing the 『circle』...」

「Then what should we do?」

「Then how about combining the two opinions, and concurrently holding competitions for swords, bows, spears, and the like? Of course, with the crossbow competition where the Kingdom has the advantage as a premise.」

Yeah, should I share a bit of unofficial information here? Proceeding with the naive calculation that crossbows are a safe bet won't do us any good.

「Sorry for interrupting, but as a fellow executive committee member, I will also share some secret information 『strictly for this venue』. At this current point, I have received orders for a considerable number of crossbows. Ten thousand units from the Griffonia Empire, and five thousand units from the Kingdom of Lute-Ville-Cain. The Principality has Archduchess Clarisse, who was active on the western front leading the crossbow troops; if they start making a move in earnest, they cannot be underestimated, you know?」

「Guh, that's...」

「T-Thank you very much!」

「But... that's bad.」

「Bad doesn't even cover it. If the Kingdom comes in last even in the crossbow competition...」

「Instead of demonstrating our might, we'd end up being slighted!」

「「「......」」」

Hahaha, did they suddenly hit a wall? It's true that in the previous tournament as well, the Demon Territory Dukedom faction took all the glory from the Kingdom side, after all. Should I throw them a small lifeline?

「That is where the Chief Administrator of the Royal Capital Knight Order, in addition to the Chief Officer of the Finance Bureau, come in. Based on the information you have learned beforehand, shouldn't you prepare in advance so that the Kingdom can save face?」

Oh, are they still not quite getting it? Since we're here, I'll give them one of the answers...

「Until the tournament, the Royal Capital Knight Order will devote its full power to discovering excellent marksmen and supporting their training, and the Kingdom will provide the funds for that. After all, we currently have the grand cause of opening up the future of the Kingdom.」

「「「「「!!!」」」」」

Have they realized the strength—no, the fun—of this executive committee? It's not just about fulfilling duties; depending on how they do it, they will be granted the means and significant authority.

「The 『politics』 to open up the future of the Kingdom are not just meant to be left to old men. We can also take the lead. Do you not find this interesting?」

「「「「「Yes!」」」」」

Here, the eyes of those from bureaucratic backgrounds, who had taken a step back in the discussions until now, changed significantly. If anything, it was towards a fearless vibe... but that's fine. I think that's good.

「I just thought of this, but I think the competitions don't have to be limited to martial arts. For example... it might be interesting to have a competition where the performance of the weapons themselves, such as crossbows, catapults, and ballistae, are pitted against each other.」

「!!!」 (No... that's actually a good idea. To be honest, that's a perspective I didn't have.)

「Her proposal just now is interesting. If we hold the business negotiations based on that competition, excellent weaponry will have an advantage in the negotiations and will stimulate the participating nations' desire to attend.」

(Hahaha, as expected of the Vice Minister of Commerce. Like me, you intend to tie it to that and utilize the athletic competitions?)

「However, it would probably be best to establish regulations beforehand and lay the groundwork regarding the sale of weapons. Such as restricting sales to only within the five allied nations, or selling only downgraded versions to non-allied nations.」

(That's right, exactly as the Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs says. There is no need to sell weapons that will be fired at us. If possessing such excellent weaponry serves as a deterrent to non-allied nations, that's a job well done.)

「Also... once the events for the competitions are decided, regarding the participation slots, is there any need to limit it to just the five nations?」 (The conversation somehow got interesting, and I ended up interjecting as well.)

「What... do you mean by that?」

「For example, the Knight Kingdom of Erral, which is on good terms with the Empire, or the Piette Merchant Federation, which has exchanges with the Kingdom; I think it would be interesting if representatives from those kinds of nations also participated in the competitions. It would serve as a perfect diplomatic opportunity for them as well.」

「「「「「!!!」」」」」

Actually, there are two sides to my remark here.

The front side is the image of the Olympics or World Expos held in my former world, tailoring it into an event where nations from around the world can participate. If we can achieve this, the Kingdom of Kyle can demonstrate its presence to the world.

The hidden meaning is much more important. By participating, each nation will learn that the alliance of the five nations is solid. That's not all. The events of the tournament will, in a sense, also carry the implication of a military review, showing off our elite soldiers and equipment. If that happens, it can be expected to show effects as a deterrent in the future.

「That is... a useful means in terms of diplomacy as well!」

「And in terms of national defense, too!」

「Fufufu, a solid commercial flow surpasses both diplomacy and national defense, you know.」

「Demonstrating our martial might and coordination to other nations, is it?」

「Somehow... the conversation keeps getting bigger, and it's a bit fun.」

「For us to handle such a grand undertaking...」

(Yeah, the color in their eyes changed even further. That's good, this is something meant to be enjoyed, after all.)

After this, active discussions continued to be exchanged, but the broad framework of the athletic competitions was finalized. The general outline was four to five slots, and considering the participation of foreign nations, the doors would be opened fairly.

·         Crossbow Competition (Confirmed)

·         Swordsmanship Competition (Confirmed)

·         Archery Competition (Under Consideration)

·         Spearmanship Competition (Under Consideration)

·         Weapon Performance Competition (Almost Confirmed)

And the discussions of the executive committee would move on to the second act.

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>