[WN] Jitsuwa 3-Domedatta : Special 14


Special Edition Commemorating the Release of Volume 8

The Inception of the Executive Committee ② — Invigorating Discussions

 

This executive committee is not just for the athletic competitions; the planning and management of the concurrently held business negotiations also fall within its purview. Therefore, after finishing the first discussion regarding the first part, the athletic competitions, we moved on to the second part's discussion.

「Now then, I think the discussion just now was exceptionally good. Even I, who have accumulated numerous experiences, was made to realize new things. Moving on, I would like you to proceed with the first discussion regarding the business negotiations, and the preparation of the 『vessel』 in the Royal Capital, which will be the host city.」

Upon saying that, this time the Vice Minister of Commerce raised his hand right from the start. Yeah, this is a good flow.

「To be honest, when I heard the story from His Excellency Klein, I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do. However, it is different now. Based on that, how about we use the examples we were instructed on by Her Highness Archduchess Yoltia during our training, and the trade fairs His Majesty the Archduke held in Teigoon in the past as a template?」

(Hmm, what should I do? While my true intention is that I want them to use it as a reference, I also want them to vastly break out of their shells, though.)

「That's right, it is an unknown experience for us, but if we refer to successful examples, we can manage somehow... In particular, wouldn't the examples regarding operational aspects be extremely helpful as a reference?」

(By operational examples, do you mean the operations manual?)

That's certainly true. In modern Japan, if it's a large-scale venue like a massively hyped trade fair or exhibition business negotiation, something is held throughout the year, but there are no such examples in this world. Here, I decided to interject. If the rails laid down initially are wrong, it's difficult to recover them.

「The policy of effectively utilizing past examples is not wrong. However, I want you to be bold enough to break customs so that we do not become trapped in the past and end up making a mere rehash. The business negotiations in Teigoon were at the level of regional nobles, but this time it's on a scale even larger than the national level, involving multiple nations.」

「By being bold... do you mean something different from simply increasing the scale?」

Yeah, good question. Because what I want to say is that just doing that is no good.

「Rather than simply increasing the scale, let's freely add our own arrangements and ingenuity, and astound the guests from each country by throwing out content unparalleled in this world.」

「Y-Yes...」

Even so, they are currently in a state where they don't even know what they don't know. Perhaps it's better if I give them a little bit of wisdom and examples as well? Thinking that, I continued the conversation further.

「First of all, even though it's called a business negotiation, you should discard the perception of it being a boorish place for business transactions conducted behind closed doors. We should tailor it into something exceedingly glamorous, and of course, we should prepare an extremely large venue for it.」

「I was thinking of using a part of the shooting range, but would that not be acceptable?」

It's true that when we held it in Teigoon, we used the stadium that became available due to the venue change. But that's no good. To be frank, my image, even if it's impossible this time, leaps to the scale of a World Expo eventually.

「The heads of state of various countries are coming; is that really acceptable? Even if there is no official visit, those people will absolutely come incognito, you know? I believe the Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs mentioned this, but we will be accepting invited merchants from outside the alliance as well, right? Setting aside whether they buy our products or not, I believe the perspective that it will lead to an evaluation of 『the Kingdom cannot be underestimated』 is correct. If we are talking about a venue capable of accepting personnel on such a scale?」

「I-In that case, I believe it is necessary to construct a new venue...」

Exactly! Even when we held the tournament in Teigoon, the level of the guests skyrocketed, so we built a new competition venue, after all.

「That is exactly why the Chief Officer of the Construction Bureau and the Chief Officer of the Finance Bureau are here. Now, when the King and the Kingdom's top officials are panicking, isn't this the perfect chance to take advantage of their weakness and propose something massive?」

「Glamorous... what kind of image is that?」

(That's right, they've never seen such a thing and have absolutely no image of it.)

「For example, we divide the venue into several sections and create an area where each country can compete with their proudest exhibits. It would also be fine to make the venue accessible to anyone who pays an admission fee, not just the invitees. We'll make that space solely a place to exhibit and 『charm』 with products. Therefore, it might also be a good idea to spend money on decorating the venue and devise things like having elegant music playing constantly.」

「If we do that, I believe the costs will be considerable as well...」

(Naturally, it would be. That is exactly why I want them to break their 『shells』 in terms of costs first.)

「Right, that is why we will partition the 『charming』 venue into numerous 『booths』, and apart from the official exhibits of the Five Allied Nations, we will sell them to other exhibitors, varying the price based on size.」

「「「「「!!!」」」」」

(I understand your surprise. Such an idea is unprecedented in this current world; it's something that has never existed in the past. Even I, who am speaking so pompously, am merely repeating knowledge gained in modern Japan.)

「Of course, the decoration of the booths will also be at the expense of the exhibitors. If there are a hundred booths, and one booth is one hundred gold coins, that's ten thousand coins. I think that would leave plenty of change even if it is allocated to the overall decoration and operation?」

Well, one hundred gold coins per booth is a bit too extreme, though. If we were to hypothetically make it one hundred coins, we simply need to add enough added value to make them think it's worth paying.

「However... will they sell?」

「It depends on the amount, but in the athletic tournament in Teigoon, the booths set up by stalls were also paid, you know? Good locations can sell for ten gold coins during the period, and although the main price range is one to five gold coins, they sell out every time.」

「!!!」

(Hahaha, it must be a surprise for them, who have no connection to business on a regular basis. However, I need them to change their thinking a little bit here.)

「We will make bold investments and use a massive amount of gold coins. But we won't just use them. We will gather loose change from various places and ultimately bring the income and expenditure to a surplus. Even for the venue of the exhibition business negotiations, we propose it after considering in advance the utilization methods and profitability after it concludes. More than anything, so that we ourselves can stick our chests out with pride after it's over.」

(Right, there's no meaning if it's called a useless white elephant. It only has meaning if it leaves a legacy after it's held.)

Here, I decided to have a certain person speak—someone who had returned to Kusanagi from the Falmus Margraviate slightly earlier than myself. Just to give them a little push on the back...

「Participating in this meeting from the back row is Virile, who serves as the Minister of Commerce for the Demon Territory Dukedom. He has also just returned to the country after finishing business negotiations with various nations of the Merchant Federation. Therefore, Virile, I would like you to share with everyone the situation of the Merchant Federation nations you reported to me before this meeting, and their enthusiasm towards the business negotiations.」

Actually, Virile had been sitting in the corner of this meeting room from the beginning, erasing his presence. They probably thought he was a civil official of the Demon Territory Dukedom, but they likely never expected him to be the Minister of Commerce. Virile, after elegantly bowing to the surprised group, floated a cheerful smile and began to speak.

「I will humbly omit the greetings. From what I have seen, the nations of the Merchant Federation are also desperate not to miss the newly departing ship. It depends on the negotiations, but if we tell them that at the exhibition business negotiations, we will provide booths unique to each nation equivalent to those of invited nations, they will likely scramble to apply. Even if the total amount ultimately comes to around one thousand gold coins...」

「「「「「One thousand coins!」」」」」

At this point, everyone froze with their mouths wide open. Because Virile's answer went far above and beyond the amounts they were agonizing over.

「For them, the face of their nation is on the line, after all. Of course, they won't simply fork over a large sum just by being given information. How to guide them, how to motivate them, and how to make them compete—that is where the skill of the one handling the negotiations shines. This kind of solicitation is also, from a different perspective, a splendid business negotiation.」

Hahaha, their eyes are starting to look a bit distant. They probably have absolutely no image of how to specifically conduct the negotiations.

「By the way, I also intend to have Virile join this executive committee. As expected, when it comes to ruthless negotiations with nations and merchants, it's impossible for amateurs.」

Fufufu, I heard the sound of loud sighs coming from various parts of the table, but they also need to become bold in the future.

「If it were you, Virile, how would you effectively utilize the box we are preparing this time?」

(This question is completely ad-libbed, but I wonder how Virile will answer?)

In response to my question, Virile smiled with a cool face, without showing any bewilderment.

「Let's see... If it were me, I would first involve the Kingdom's nobles and domestic merchants. For instance, holding events where each house regularly exhibits the special products and produce of their territory even after the exhibition business negotiations have concluded, or having merchants hold exhibition presentations for new products each season. There are already several noble houses that have set their eyes on the special products business initiated by His Majesty the Archduke during his time as the Demon Territory Count, and have begun making moves in the Royal Capital. The merchants, too, might appreciate an event where they can compete and boast of their products.」

(Hahaha, delightfully, it's an answer that exceeds my expectations.)

Indeed, if we involve the nobles, they will likely participate en masse because their face is on the line. Especially the Frontier Dukes of the North, East, and West, who are in a position to bring in products that don't exist in the Kingdom. In that sense, if commercial flow becomes active within the Kingdom as well, it will ultimately benefit the entire Kingdom.

And... fashion shows and the like would also be interesting. It would become a chance for the merchants to pitch sales to the various noble houses, and depending on the planning, they would likely jump on board.

「That's extremely interesting. What else... If it were me, maybe I would propose charging admission fees to hold concerts or operas? Of course, it would realistically be necessary to consider a design in advance so that it can be used for such things, and to utilize Sound Mages, though.」

In this world without microphones or acoustic equipment, such things could only be realized in limited, enclosed spaces. However, we have already put voice amplification devices into practical use even on the battlefield. If we can operate built-in megaphones and Sound Magic, the sound will reach throughout, and it will likely become realizable even in a vast space.

◇

Once the conversation reached this point, their discussions instantly became active. Using the trade fair in Teigoon as a springboard, developing it further through a process of scrap and build...

「First is the booth sales at the venue, but I thought it didn't necessarily have to be limited to merchants. I'm sure there are some among the nobles who would like to take this opportunity to pitch the products of their own territories.」

(That's right. I wonder if I should do that too? Also, it would be interesting if Imperial merchants like the Kempurna Trading Company or the Bottakurina Trading Company participated. Bringing in products from the Principality of Sura or the Kingdom of Turncoat besides sugar, and so on.)

「I am also basically in favor of charging admission to anyone other than the invitees. However, if we open it up poorly, spies might slip in, there will be security issues, and if commoners mix in, there will likely be nobles who raise complaints regarding issues of dignity. That area is troubling, but...」

「That will be fine. For example, how about opening it up in stages? For instance, only invitees are allowed entry on the first day. The following two days will be restricted to those affiliated with the Five Allied Nations, and the day after that, merchants can enter for a fee regardless of their country of origin. From there on, we could impose no restrictions and allow entry for a fee?」

(Hahaha, restricting attendees based on their position, and deciding the days they can enter in advance? That's also an option. In that case, it will lead to trouble if it's not thoroughly publicized in advance, and even if they know, there are likely to be thugs who forcefully demand to be 『let in』. Perhaps dealing with that will become a good learning opportunity for him during the operational stage?)

「Umm... for example, would it be unacceptable to make admission free for students who come to help from the Academy? Or granting them the privilege of observing during the period restricted to affiliates as a reward?」

「That's right. If they are Academy students, we can gather them all in advance and drill the operations manual into them. Their origins are clearly known, so there is no need to investigate them beforehand, right?」

(Yeah, I believe we did something similar for the athletic tournament held in the Royal Capital, right? This time, if we suspend classes at the Academy during the event period and have them all participate as operational staff, we're talking about a staff in the thousands, so we'd save a considerable amount on personnel costs alone, you know?)

Here, I decided to share past examples that the currently enrolled students wouldn't know about.

「Actually, two years ago, something similar occurred. At that time, it only applied to some students enrolled in the Academy, but this time, it will be an opportunity to learn about the products and information of various countries, including diplomacy. Couldn't you appeal that it is a part of their classes?」

Well, last time it was only those in the knight training course. This time, it's athletic competitions and exhibition business negotiations, so we could probably expand the target to all students. However, there is just one problem.

「When negotiating, you should try negotiating directly with the Academy Principal from your position as executive committee members, saying something like, 『It is a part of the students' learning, and a good opportunity to demonstrate contribution to the Kingdom. By rough estimates, it will also save over one thousand gold coins!』 The Old Tanuki won't say no either.」

「「「「「The Old Tanuki?」」」」」

Ah, oops. It just slipped out... What should I do? Ah well, since we're here. I'll probably slip up again in the future, so should I just make it an internal common term?

「I'm talking about Grand Duke Klein. I myself have been used as he pleases and led around by the nose endlessly since I was still a Baron, after all. Well, ultimately, I was saved from conspiracies because of it, and it served as a good learning experience for dealing with crafty adults. He might just start telling you all this time, 『Negotiating with me is also a part of your studies,』 you know.」

「「「「「W-We will learn from this...」」」」」

「However, even the cunning Old Tanuki has a weakness for women who make positive efforts. If you have the female students stand at the forefront of negotiations when the time comes, difficult negotiations might surprisingly be settled easily. Because this is also one of the tactics of striking at the opponent's weakness.」

「「「「「Yes!」」」」」

At this time, I got carried away and said unnecessary things, but I didn't realize it in the moment. Of course, later on, I would receive grandly sarcastic remarks from the Old Tanuki himself.

Their positive discussions still continued...

 -----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>