[WN] Sweet Herb Laboratory : 69


Antidote 2

 

At dawn, Blake-san returned carrying Monitares flowers and medicinal herbs.

「Blake, that's a big help.」

「This is about all I can do. What should I do next?」

「For now, I want to deliver the fever reducer we just made to the doctor at the clinic. And Layla, how are things on your end... Wait, what's wrong?」

Perhaps surprised to see me frozen stiff piki in front of the beakers, Ashren-sama rushed over.

「...Did this fail?」

「I was heating it slowly, but one minute ago, the spoon I was using to stir suddenly became heavy. The moment I wondered what happened, this is it.」

Of the four beakers in front of me, only the one with the mashed flowers that had been heated showed any change...

「There's no way you would make a mistake with the heat, Layla. Which means it suddenly solidified. Well, it's rare, but not impossible.」

The moment I thought the liquid in the beaker had changed from pink to red, it suddenly began to coagulate, and before I could even pull the spoon out, it hardened like ice. When I grabbed the spoon sticking straight out of the beaker, it lifted the entire beaker without coming out.

「Usually, the change is gradual, though...」

「We can't use it like this.」

「But the color and shape have changed, which means it reacted with the solution. That's right, Ashren-sama, could we break this beaker, take out the contents, and shave it?」

「Shave it, huh. It shouldn't be impossible. Let's try it.」

「There are carpentry planes for shaving wood and cooking utensils used for grating ingredients, so I will go get them.」

Blake-san truly is quick on his feet. Even though he just returned from galloping on a horse, I am grateful. When he gets back, we have to let him rest a little.

「Layla, step back so you don't cut your hands on the glass.」

「Then I will do it.」

「Do you think I would allow that?」

Being glared at intensely by Ashren-sama, who had in one hand the wooden pestle usually used for grinding medicinal herbs, I had no words to reply, and stepped back a few paces with a "Please go ahead." Ashren-sama is overprotective and too sweet to me.

After wrapping the beaker in a cloth so the glass wouldn't shatter everywhere, he broke it and took out the contents. Then, grating the red lump with the cooking utensil Blake-san brought produced a powdery dust. When I added this little by little to the Monitares sap, a change began to appear at the fifth tablespoon.

「Ashren-sama, look. The stickiness of the sap has weakened a little!」

「We can use this.」

When I added another spoonful, it became about the viscosity of honey. As I scooped up the now syrupy Monitares sap and let it drip from the spoon, the morning sun illuminated it, making it sparkle. As I thought, the Monitares flower did have a detoxifying effect.

「It's just a possibility, but the Monitares flower might have a property that makes it difficult to be absorbed by the body. If eaten before toxic symptoms appear, it can prevent the poison from spreading throughout the body, but once the symptoms have manifested, simply eating the flower might not be enough to cure it.」

「By soaking it in the solution and extracting its components, the absorption rate increases. Even so, six tablespoons are necessary. If we have to make it for all the patients, we'll need a considerable amount of flowers. No, more importantly...」

Ashren-sama and I simultaneously looked at the medicinal herbs Blake-san brought us earlier. Among them, there were a few that made it easier for the body to take in medicine.

Medicine is completed by taking a main medicinal herb and mixing it with others that enhance its effects, increase its absorption rate, suppress side effects, and so on. Medicinal herbs themselves have compatibility, and it is very common that mixing this and that conversely degrades the quality or eliminates the effect, and it also changes depending on the proportions.

「Let's make medicine with the grated powder as the main ingredient, further increasing its absorption rate. The problem is which ones to mix and in what amounts.」

「And the time limit is about half a day left.」

「Yeah, with you here, Layla, it'll be a breeze.」

「Don't joke around, we are starting.」

At this point, it's a race against time. Ashren-sama and I single-mindedly repeated experiments, and then, evening came. The antidote was finally complete.

Taking the antidote to the third floor, we handed it to the doctor, the guard knight with graying hair, and Prince Elliot, whose consciousness had become clearer as the fever reducer took some effect.

「This is the completed antidote.」

「Y-You're lying... right? This is an endemic disease that has... continuously plagued my country. For decades... for hundreds of years, even with research... we couldn't do it, yet you made it in one day?」

「The base of the antidote is the Monitares flower. Because the flower does not bloom in the Tarteria Kingdom, I believe that is why the development of an antidote was not achieved. However.」

Cutting my words there, I took a small, deep breath. Ashren-sama is beside me, but since I am the one who came up with this medicine, I should be the one to explain. Because, if things go wrong, this will become an issue of responsibility.

「This medicine has not undergone clinical trials. We know it has a detoxifying effect, but we did not have time to investigate what side effects it might have.」

「Hey! You intend to make Prince Elliot drink something so dangerous?」

The guard knight reached his hand out toward my arm, but Ashren-sama quickly pulled me into a hug and shielded me.

「Listen until the end. Layla, can you say the rest?」

「Yes. Thank you. I believe you know that the fatality rate of Bareinurake disease is twenty percent, and the possibility of lasting aftereffects is even higher. However, those possibilities are lower for people who are young, healthy, and have stamina. Since the fever reducer seems to be taking some effect on Prince Elliot, his life might be saved even without taking this medicine. Please decide for yourself what you will do.」

「To make His Highness decide when you only have such uncertain information—are you even researchers?!」

「It is precisely because we are researchers that we are saying this. We are going to the clinic right now to tell the same story. We do have hesitations about handing over a medicine that has not undergone clinical trials, but if it is not taken within the next few hours, it will be life-threatening. Doctor, I will hand the medicine to you. We apologize, but we will take our leave now.」

I think Prince Elliot will probably survive. He is conscious, and although he seems to be in pain, he can breathe. The water in the pitcher had also decreased, so he must be hydrating. Just as we were about to leave, I heard Prince Elliot's voice ordering his guard.

「...Hey. You go to the clinic with them. ...And confirm whether there are any problems when commoners take the medicine.」

「Understood. Doctor, leave the medicine as it is until I return.」

I swallowed the words that were right at the tip of my tongue with a guh. At the implication of experimenting on the bodies of commoners, anger welled up from the bottom of my stomach, and I had unknowingly clenched my fists.

「Let's go, Layla.」

Called out to, I looked up and saw that his ice-blue eyes were piercingly sharp. Ashren-sama feels the same way. But we cannot argue back here.

The weight of a life is the same for everyone, but it is also a fact that Prince Elliot is a prince of a neighboring country. If something happens to him due to our judgment, it could develop into a conflict between countries. Following Prince Elliot's own judgment is also for the sake of the Kanista Kingdom.

Because horses are faster than a carriage, Ashren-sama and Blake-san decided to carry the antidote in backpacks and take it on horseback.

「You can stay behind, you know, Layla.」

「I cannot do that. This is a medicine that hasn't undergone clinical trials, and as its developer, I have a responsibility.」

「Do not shoulder everything alone. I'll say it as many times as it takes: the Deputy Director of the laboratory is me. I made the final decision, so the responsibility lies with me.」

He gently stroked my hair and softly pulled my shoulder into a hug.

「So, don't tense up so much. You've looked like you're about to cry for a while now. The patients will get agitated if they see that.」

「You are right. I am sorry.」

Borrowing Ashren-sama's hand, I got on the horse. The servants had apparently prepared the fastest horses; the wind rushed past my ears with a byun byun, and the scenery rapidly flowed backward. I hear it takes two hours to reach the clinic by carriage, but between the speed of the horses and cutting through animal trails that a carriage couldn't traverse, we arrived in half that time.

However, perhaps because I felt my life was in danger several times on the way, my legs felt a bit unsteady when I got off the horse. Without us knowing, the servants had apparently been going back and forth between the mansion and the clinic many times to pass on information, and when we entered the clinic, the doctor immediately rushed over.

「You finished it?」

「Yes. However...」

From there, I told the doctor, the patients, and their families the same thing I had explained to Prince Elliot.

「M-My daughter hasn't regained consciousness the whole time. Her pulse is getting weaker too... so please, give us that medicine.」

The first one to raise his hand was the host of the party, the father of the guest of honor. Next, the family of an old man sleeping by the window also raised their hands. The doctor immediately handed them the powdered medicine and water, and began explaining to the families once again. Hands went up from the families of other severely ill patients, and Gray-san was among them.

「If there is any medicine left over, I want to give it to my wife too. But, the reason this happened is all my fault. Therefore, please prioritize the others...」

Gray-san's hoarse voice was accompanied by bright red eyes, and perhaps out of guilt, his back was hunched as he shrunk his body as small as it could get. Voices called out to such a Gray-san from those around him.

「Gray, I told you not to worry about it anymore, didn't I?」

「That's right, the one at fault is that neighboring country's prince who ate the sap looking so delicious.」

「Yeah, seeing something like that, it's only natural you'd want to eat it.」

At the encouragement from the people around him, Gray teared up. Ashren-sama, placing a hand on Gray's shoulder, explained that there was enough medicine for everyone. Concerned about their remarks, I checked the reaction of the guard knight.

「U-Um...」

「I am Prince Elliot's guard knight, and His Highness's life is more important than anything else. However, that does not mean I lack common sense and a conscience.」

「...Thank you very much.」

It seems he is going to pretend he didn't hear that. I am glad he was the one who came along. Among the younger people who only ate a small amount of the apple pie, some had passed the critical stage with just the fever reducer.

About half of the people brought in took the medicine, and after staying for about an hour and confirming that no patients had taken a sudden turn for the worse, the guard knight returned to the villa.

When I asked Ashren-sama if we should explain that side effects might appear one or two days, no, half a month later, he told me that since Prince Elliot has pharmacological knowledge, he should already know that.

It is true that, despite his problematic personality, he knew about medicinal herbs. We decided not to return to the villa and to spend some time at the clinic.

The doctors prepared beds for us to rest, saying they would call us if anything happened, but thinking they had been up all night for days, I couldn't bring myself to sleep, and in the end, I helped nurse the patients until morning that day.

-----

Thank you for my Patrons !!


[Platinum]

-


[Gold]

B random

Nepheos


[Silver]

Corey Hicks

Creris

Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon

Jake Seagraves

Matthew Fraser

Tbaum56


[Bronze]

Baelee

Christopher Feliciano

Ctdela

Curious Panda

nick nasca

SD Fox

Taylor King

Z


Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon

-----

<<Prev << ToC >> Next>>