Saturday, April 15, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 6

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #6

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

Episode 6 - Isn't there at least one that's easy to use?

 

 

 *----pin pon pan pon.*

 

“...... Hah..."

 

 I involuntarily sighed at the sound of the chime signaling the end of class.

 

 In the end, the time has come.......

 

 It was not that I don't like break time. I don't think there was a single student who does.

 What I don't like was the next class.

 

 After I made sure the girls were out of the classroom, I started to change into my gym clothes with a depressed look on my face.

 

 I don't know when I started hating gym class.

 Let me tell you, I'm not bad at sports. I'm also not good at it though.

 What I dislike was the "Okay, form pairs," words that was highly prevalent in gym class.

 

“...... Maro, you know, right?"

“No hard feelings, okay?"

 

 After I finished getting dressed, the East-West1 duo came to me.

 Both of them had a stiff expression.

 

“Yeah, I know."

 

 All of us held out our fists, and said at the same time,

"First is rock, rock-paper-scissors!”

 

 I went with ‘rock’, while Higashino and Nishida were ‘paper’.

 

"FAAAACK!"

 

 I howled.

 

"Heh heh, I guess Maro is alone this time.”

“Sorry about that. Good luck finding a partner.”

 

 I looked at the East-West duo, who were smiling with relief, with a resentful look in my eyes.

 This was the reason why I hated gym class.

 The structure of forming pairs meant that we who always hung out in three had to leave one of us out.

 The one who was left out had to wander around the class looking for a partner, and I can't tell you how discouraging and miserable I felt at those times......

 On top of that, as someone who doesn't have many friends, I can’t help but felt a negative aura in the class.

 

 Damn, it's all Minamiyama's fault that this happened.

 

 When he was with us, we had a group of four so it was easy to split the group 2-2, but because he suddenly left, we ended up with a group of three.

 

 “Even though we started hanging out with a group of four to avoid this kind of thing.”

 

 In school life, the number of four is convenient for various events.

 Pairings for classes, group assignments for school trips and field trips, mahjong, millionaire's games, etc........

 But it all came crashing down because of his betrayal.

 

 Curse you, Minamiyama.......

 

 And it was even more annoying that he's teaming up with Ono.

 

 I started to look for a partner, but I couldn't find one.

 I had to find one person who was still alone at this time, but the people in the field already had someone beside them.

 Before I knew it, I found myself standing alone.

 I looked around with a sense of dread.

 

 What's going on? There should be an even number of boys in my class. How could there be an excess? Could it be that one of them is absent today?

 

 I felt like the guys in my class were looking at me like I'm an idiot: He has no one to team up with? Maybe he doesn't have any friends? It's so lame to be the only one left.

I hear such auditory hallucinations.......

 

 No, that's not true. I do have friends. I just happened to lose at rock-paper-scissors-paper this time......

 

 As I was making excuses in my mind like that, I saw a shadow running into the field.

 

“That was close~, that was close~," he said.

“I was going to the restroom and thought I was going to be late. Hey, is there anyone left? Let’s partner up.”

 

 It was my classmate Kan’nari who spoke in such a big attitude as soon as he arrived.

 His appearance could be summed up in one word: frivolous. He had long blonde hair, which was stiffly styled with hair styling products, and two or three piercings in his right ear. His facial features were normal, with an oblong face and cruel eyes like a snake.

 I frowned when I saw his face.

 

 Wow, the worst...... Narikin!

 

 Narikin always actively tried to get involved with the normie group during class and after school, but he was not considered as one of them by the normie group... he was one of the so-called half-half2.

 He cared about fashion and trends, but he was neither good looking nor talented. He was one of those guys who was somewhat disliked by everyone because of his habit of looking down on classmates other than the normie group.

 Kan’nari was the leader of the half-half group and and was called ‘Narikin’, which was a play on his name.

 

 When Narikin noticed that it was me who was left, he looked blatantly disappointed.

 

“What, it's you? So unlucky," he said.

“Well, I guess it can't be helped since I'm late, huh."

 

 I felt that I was the one who was unlucky, and my face cramped up.

 Seeing me like this, most of the class, including the East-West duo, looked at me sympathetically, but some still looked at me condescendingly with a smirk on their faces.

 It was Narikin and his group and ...... Minamiyama.

 

 He seemed to take pleasure in seeing his former friends feeling miserable after he left.

 

 ......Dang it, who do you think you are to make me feel like this!

 

 As I clenched my fists behind my back,

"All right, everyone's finished pairing up right! Today we're going to play doubles tennis. It's going to be an elimination match, so come over here and draw the lots."

 

“…Don't pull my leg."

 

 Narikin, who had heard the gym teacher's instructions, muttered a few words and gave me a hard poke on the shoulder.

 

 You son of a b*tch. You're not that athletic either! And you're not very nice either!

 

 A number of abusive words floated through my head, but.......

 

"What?"

“....... Nothing?"

 

 In the end, I couldn't say a single word back.

 I was most annoyed with myself for being like that.......

 

 

 

 

 After school that day.

 I was invited to karaoke by the East-West duo for a change of pace, but I declined and came to the labyrinth.

 I had had the worst time in gym class with Narikin, but that was no reason to take a break from exploring the labyrinth.

 Rather, it motivated me that the only way to change this shitty situation was to succeed as an adventurer.

 

 The only reason Narikin thought that it was okay for him to behave like that was because he thought the other person was below him in caste. He was the typical type of guy who was strong at the bottom, but can't defy the top.

 In fact, Narikin and the others flatter Ono, who does not look like a strong fighter, and even Minamiyama, who rose to the top of the caste.

 That was to say, the same thing will happen when I enter the top of the caste.

 

 Thinking of this, I felt a surge of motivation.

 

 I stepped into the labyrinth and immediately took out my cards.

 Today's members were Ghouler and Coosie whom I had not called yesterday.

 

“Come out, Coosie!”

 

 When I called out, a dog the size of a cow appeared.

 It was a mysterious looking dog with beautiful emerald green fur and a big swirling tail.

 

In size, it was more like a prehistoric wolf than a dog, but its charming face was closer to the image of a dog than a wolf.

 

“Nice to meet you, Master."

 

 Coosie greeted me with her ears down.

 She gives the impression that she was somewhat unreliable as she was nervous, but she gave a better impression than the other cards for greeting me.

 

“Yeah, nice to meet you, Coosie.”

 

 I moved my arm and called Ghouler.

 Ghouler appeared, staring blankly into the air.

 While looking at her like that, I took out a note from my pocket.

 

“Ghouler, do you remember the order I gave you yesterday?”

 

 She nodded. I then also nodded my head. But just to be sure, I checked,

 

“Then, tell me the contents of the order.”

"I'm going to follow the ...... master. If I can get up, I'll get up. Counterattack the enemy. Use all available skills.”

"Oh, good, good. You remembered. Then we'll reset all those commands. Nod your head if you understand.”

 

 After confirming that Ghouler nodded, I began to read the contents of the memo.

 

"Then I'm going to give you new orders. Nod each time you understand. Order number one, basically follow me in the labyrinth. Order number two: always use your pheromone skill to mask your scent in the labyrinth. Order number three: In the labyrinth, you must always search for any signs of the enemy. Order number four: ......."

 

 The note I'm looking at was a list of orders for Ghouler that I came up with during class. The most important thing to keep in mind was that she need to have a good understanding of what she was doing and how to do it. Even if we are attacked by an enemy, if she doesn't even fight back, our life will be in danger. It's not always possible for me to respond appropriately to unforeseen circumstances.

 

 Therefore, I thought that if I set up a pattern of behavior in advance, she would be able to respond to a certain pattern.

 

 Fortunately, ghouls are not intelligent, but they do seem to have a certain amount of memory, so if I could prepare instructions in advance on how to respond to all possible patterns, she should theoretically be able to move independently like other monsters.

 

 For example, by incorporating multiple commands such as, "Always keep looking for signs of the enemy," "When there is only one enemy, attack by surprise," and "When attacking by surprise, use your skill pheromone to mask your presence," she should be able to attack by surprise when it finds an enemy without me saying anything.... I hoped.

 

 What I feared was that there might be a contradiction between the orders, and this memo was to make sure that I did not forget the orders myself and to constantly check for any contradictions.

 

 I finished giving the orders for the time being, and after having Ghouler recite them back to me, I put the note away.

 

"Okay, then, let's get on with the exploration. I'd like to ask...... Coosie to do some spotting for me. Can you do that?"

 

She has got a good nose for it after all.

 

 "Yes," said Coosie, although with a slight lack of confidence.

......Are you sure?

 

"I'm counting on you......."

 

 I started walking down the road, feeling a little uneasy.

 When I followed Coosie who was whining, Ghouler silently followed me.

 

 …Yeah, it seems the order to follow me is okay.

 

 I ticked the number one order on my memo.

 

 We walked through the labyrinth in silence for a while.

 The sun's rays slowly burnt my skin. A gentle breeze blew from time to time. The rustle of trees. The chirping of birds.

 The peaceful atmosphere almost made me forget that we were in a dangerous labyrinth.

 

“M, Master, I, I can smell the enemy. Th, they are heading this way.”

 

 Coosie said, her voice trembling.

 

“Uh-huh, okay. Let's fight them.”

 

 Ghouler had just learned new commands, and Coosie's cowardice skill halved her combat power, so there were some concerns, but even halved, Coosie still had an overwhelming difference in combat power.

 

 The initial combat power of F-rank monsters was less than 50. In this first floor, it would be 10 to 20. In contrast, Coosie's initial strength was 150, which was more than enough even if the number is halved.

 

 To begin with, it was said that the monsters in the labyrinth were weaker than cards of the same rank. If they were of a higher rank, they would have been able to win without a doubt. That was why the possession of a D-rank card was an absolute requirement to register as an adventurer.

 

“They are coming!”

 

 The first thing I noticed was the smell of rotten eggs in the air. I sniffed, and then the owner of the smell emerged from the bushes.

 There were two green goblins riding wolves. They had dark green skin, a wrinkled face, a scrawny body, and a flabby abdomen. The face somewhat looked like a hungry demon from hell to me.

 

 Seeing the face of the enemies bearing their teeth and threatening us, Ghouler swiftly attacked. But as she was about to land a blow, she stopped moving for some reason.

 

 Huh? Why did she stop?

 

 Ghouler froze in front of the enemies, and so they attacked mercilessly. The wolves bite her leg and a goblin strikes her with a club. Another one joined in, and Ghouler soon became a punching bag.

 Only after reaching that point did Ghouler fought back. She hit the wolves that bit her, chews off their flesh, and then hits back the goblin that hits her with his stick. She took turns counterattacking the monsters that attacked her.

 

 Seeing that inefficiency, I finally realized. Ghouler counterattacks those who attack her mechanically. When she tried to attack for the first time, the movement stopped because the enemies were doubled and she didn't know which one to attack.......

 Tsk! There really is a problem with my orders.

 

 I clicked my tongue a little and immediately sent an order,

 

“Coosie! What are you doing? Help Ghouler!”

"Uh, ah... I, I, I..."

 

 However, when Coosie saw Ghouler being attacked, she only shrunk back and did not move at all.

 

 What is she doing? 

I cannot help but yell,

 

“Coosie!”

“Eek...... I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!"

 

 At my angry voice, Coosie crouched down with her head and tail tucked in.

 

 ......Wow, is this for real? The cowardice skill is this bad?

 

 I thought she could still fight while her combat power cut in half......

 

 I shook my head.

 

No choice. I will give up on Coosie for now.

 

“Coosie, go back! Come out, Zashiki-awarashi!"

“An? Huh, my turn?"

 

 I changed Coosie to Zashiki-warashi, and she looked at me with a sour expression.

 

“Zashiki-warashi, help Ghouler!

“I don't want to."

“Huh ......?'

 

 I looked at Zashiki-warashi, aghast. Seeing me like that, she smirked and laughed happily.

 

“Why should I listen to your orders? I told you, give up on seeing me as a fighting force.”

 

"I'm not going to give up on you. Oh, yeah. I've got some new snacks. You want it?”

 

 I showed her the snacks I had bought on the way from the bag.

 

It is a limited time pound cake from the convenience store up the street.

 

 The Zashiki-warashi looked at it and was troubled for a moment, but then said,

"No, I don’t. I'm not in the mood.”

 

She turned away with a pout.

 

“D*mn!"

 

 The rebelliousness of Zashiki-warashi had taken a turn for the worse.

 I guess fishing with sweets was rather counterproductive in such an impasse situation.

 

 ......No way around it. When this happens, I have no choice but to make up my mind.

 

 I took out a baton from my bag.

 

 I had prepared this just in case, but I didn't expect to have to use it right away---!

 

"Oh, hey.....?"

 

“Ooooh!”

 

“No way, are you serious?!"

 

 With the bewildered voice of Zashiki-warashi at my back, I charged into the goblin group.

 The goblins, perhaps not expecting me to charge in, widened their eyes and stiffened slightly. I took that opportunity to hit a goblin in the head with my baton.

 

“Kuh......!”

 

 It's so hard! It felt as if I had hit him with a rubber tire.

 

My hands felt numb.

 

“Ghouler! Take out the wolves one by one first!

"Yes, Master."

 

 I faced the goblins as Ghouler took a bite out of the wolf that was biting her.

 The green goblins, who had completely turned me into an enemy when I smashed one of their heads, bared their yellowed teeth and snarled at me. I was terrified by their genuine killing intent.

 My legs involuntarily dropped lower and I felt my blood rapidly cooling.

 

 Calm down, it's okay. There is no way that I, a high school student, can lose to such them who are as small as an elementary school student. I have longer reach, too. And I have the card barrier. Calm down, me.

 

 The goblins were hitting me at the same time.

 I manage to duck to one of the goblin’s swing, but not the other. I caught it with my baton. But that was a mistake.

 Along with the impact, my hand goes numb and I dropped the baton.

 

 What stupid strength! 

 

Even though they were small, they were still monsters. They had tremendous physical strength.

 

 The card's barrier function prevented any injury, but the impact definitely numbed my hand.

 It clearly evoked the image of death in my mind.

 

“Hii!"

 

 I dodged the blow from a club by rolling. It swished just above my head. My courage shrank.

 In an instant, my hardened resolve was shattered.

 

 It's no use, let's run. This is not something I should be fighting against!

 

 Just when I was thinking that, I saw Ghouler's figure. She had finally killed and ate the first wolf, but there was still one more wolf left.

 If I pulled out at this point, she would become a punching bag again.

 

 I bit my lip and jumped for the baton I had dropped.

 

 “Ten seconds. I'll buy you ten seconds......!”

 

 As I held up the baton, half crying, the goblins pounced on me like wild monkeys.

 

"Gggggh! Gah!

 

 A bullet of light flew out of nowhere and pierced the goblins in the head.

 

“Huh?”

 

 I was confused when seeing the goblins’ brain fluid splattering and them dying, but I soon realized what had happened.

 

 This, the Zashiki-warashi made a move?

 

 Ghouler is ...... completely restraining the wolf and devouring it. She'll be able to take that one down right away.

 

"Hah~~~~~"

 

 I sighed loudly and slumped down.

 

 Tired....... I was really scared. This is the labyrinth, this is how monsters are.

 

 "Honestly, I was taking it lightly."

 

 I thought it would be a dream job where I could make money by conquering labyrinths as fast as I could like in RPGs, making more and more money, and being popular with girls. ......There is no such a job, though......

 

"Heh, heh, heh......."

 

 It’s actually a fight to the death even against a small fry card that everyone knows, in the first level of the F-rank labyrinth.

 

 Unintentionally, a laugh of self-mockery spilled out. I can't help but laugh at myself.

 

“Can I be an adventurer if I'm like this?”

 

“Oi!”

 

 When I looked up, there was Zahiki-warashi, sitting on the floor. For some reason, she had a very grim look on her face.

 

 “Um, what?”

 

 I can't think straight.

......Oh, yeah, a thanks for the help.

 

“Oh, thank you for the help. Sweets, wait a minute. I'll put it out now--"

“No, that ain't it!"

 

 A sharp voice pierced my eardrums as I was rummaging through my bag.

 

 Startled, my eyes widened.

 

 What the? Why is she so pissed off?

 

 Rather, it's me who wants to get mad because you didn't help until the very last minute!

 

 When I was thinking that it was unreasonable of her, Zashiki-warashi asked me,

 

“Why did you fight?"

 

"Why… because ...... you didn't fight."

 

“Not that!”

 

“Uh, even if you say ‘not that’.......”

 

“I'm just saying, why did you put yourself in danger for the Ghouler’s sake? Cards are expendable items. Why risk your life for something like that?"

 

 This kid ...... I have no idea what she's trying to say.

 

 However, Zashiki-warashi’s expression was serious.

 I had no choice but to answer her seriously.

 

“I'm not sure what you're getting at. Even a ghoul is an important asset to me. I can't afford to lose her this early in the game. Secondly, my life wasn’t actually in danger. I had the barrier of the card. All I wanted to do was buy time for Ghouler to recover........"

 

 After hearing my explanation, Zashiki-warashi seemed to be deep in thought as she was still.

 

“Is that enough? Then it’s time to go home. I'm already tired today.

 

 I just had one fight today, and it was over. What a slow pace. But I can't conquer the labyrinth if I don't adjust Ghouler's orders and think about how to use Coosie.

 

 I stood up with my heavy body.

 

"Wait a minute."

“What......, you are still here?"

 

 When I turned around in distaste, Zashiki-warashi was grinning at me.

 

"I haven't received any sweets as a reward."

“Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa......!"

 

 I let out the biggest sigh of the day.

 

 

[Tips] Status.

 The card lists the monster's status, but the details of that status are not known. The prevailing view is that combat power is divided into more detailed abilities such as strength, speed, dexterity, magic, and sturdiness.

 Likewise, only the names of the skills are known, and we can only consider the effects of the skills by actually using them. The guild collects such data from all adventurers and transmits the information through a dedicated application. The main character also checks the skills of the cards through such apps. Therefore, there is a great possibility that skills that are considered to be lost may have powers that have yet to be seen.

***

 Notes:

Higashi= east (for Higashino); nishi= west (for Nishida)

We failed to find the exact wording for the translation… It’s う一軍半

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us keep our spirit up and get us closer to buying a pc/laptop by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

You can visit too to check out some cute and cool phone wallpapers!

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me