Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 71

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #71

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 71: Rumor (Fact) that Greek Deities are Only Weirdos (2)

 

 

 

 A horse-drawn carriage raced along an uneven road lined with the roots of trees in a tropical forest.

 

 The jet-black carriage pulled by four headless horses had an ominous appearance reminiscent of a hearse, with pale blue flames rising from its wheels.

 

 Suddenly, a lone orc appeared in front of the carriage.

 

 The large, pig-headed creature was looking around that he did not even notice the horse-drawn carriage approaching at high speed, and then get slammed by the carriage. He was sent tumbling to the ground, where he was crushed and then transformed into a lump of meat.

 

 I watched the pitiful orc through the carriage window and was impressed.

 

"Wow, this thing is more comfortable than I thought it would be. There is no vibration even on the uneven ground."

 

"That is true. The enemy cannot see us, and when we bump into them, there isn't even a single tremor."

 

 Yuki nodded.

 

 By the way, the reason why there was no vibration was because this carriage, Koshta Bawar, was actually flying in the air, although it was only about ten centimeters high.

 

 Though not enough to jump over large pits or cliffs, it does not get affected by the terrain too much and can avoid traps that can be activated by stepping on them.

 

 I also appreciated the fact that we did not have to fight unnecessary enemies because of the [Invisibility] and [Presence blocking] skills.

 

 The downside was that it was not possible to cross bodies of water such as rivers and lakes, but then one could simply take a detour or another way around.

 

 I was only focusing on the equipping skills, but the skills of this Koshta Bawar were also quite good. As expected of Dullahan, which was considered a must-have for professional adventurers.

 

"So, what do you think? How does the equipping feel?"

 

"Yes, Master... There is a slight delay in physical response, but it's not a problem."

 

 The one who answered my question was a jet-black female knight sitting in the driver's seat.

 

 The armor she wore had the flowing lines of a woman's, and her lustrous blond hair flowed out from the helmet that covered the upper half of her face.

 

 Although only the lower half of her face was exposed, the contrast between her black armor and white skin, coupled with her red lips that seemed to glow, made her look strangely glamorous.

 

T, that's strange......

 

 When Anna's Elf was equipped with Dullahan, she looked like a neat and tidy lady knight, but when Eliza was equipped with it, she had this haunting look and a hint of sex appeal......

 

 The atmosphere of Eliza clad with Dullahan was completely that of a dark knight.

 

"...Well, I'm glad there's no problem. I was thinking of switching over to Living Armor, which has no negative skills, if the [Lack of agility] and [Clumsy] skills were too much of a hindrance."

 

 The moment I said that,

 

"Eeh~? That's awful, Master! Please use me properly! .....Please don't talk without permission."

 

 We were all wide-eyed when we heard a sweet voice from Eliza that we had never heard before. But we soon realized.

 

 It was not Eliza, but the Dullahan who equipped her.

 

"Forgive me, Master... That was Dullahan's comment."

 

"Ah, yeah, I get it."

 

 I smiled at Eliza, who didn't want to be misunderstood and went out of her way to explain it like that.

 

 I smiled to myself, thinking that this former ghouler who was now a vampire also had a feeling that she didn't want her character to be destroyed.

 

 The other members seemed to feel the same way, as Renge, Yuki, and Mea also looked at her warmly.

 

"I think Eliza-senpai uses my body better than I does, and if she continues to use it, I think the unathletic and clumsy me can become a cool and attractive adult woman! ...... Dullahan.   Ah, I'm sorry!"

 

 The fact that Eliza seemed to be monologuing was somewhat comical, and we couldn't help but laugh, even though we felt bad about it.

 

 Perhaps that offended her, because unusually, a faint aura of anger was coming from Eliza.

 

 Then.......

 

"--Eliza-san, as a lady, you should not be so easily ruffled by your emotions."

 

 A woman in her late twenties sitting next to Eliza said in a stern voice.

 

 The beautiful woman had auburn colored hair tied up in a chignon and was dressed in a maid's uniform...... it was the maid master, Silky.

 

"I apologize."

 

 Silky nodded to Eliza, who bowed to her with a bow of apology.

 

"A lady should always be calm and graceful. I will be responsible for making you a lady among ladies..... making you a master of maids."

 

"Please take care of me, Sensei."

 

 At the sight of this, we looked at each other and thought, "Umm.'

 

 Despite the fact that they had just met, they had become quite good friends.

 

 I introduced Eliza to the maid master Silky in order to have her teach her various skills, but both of them seemed to have some affinity and ended up becoming apprentice and teacher.

 

 However, I don't want her to teach her the [Reprimand] skill......

 

 As I was worrying about Eliza...

 

"Ah, Eliza. The next turn is to the left. There are quite a few enemy responses on the right."

 

"Understood."

 

 Yuki, who was looking at the map on my phone, said.

 

 She had the biggest presence detection range in my group, and I had left her in charge of guiding the way.

 

......Huu, my role in the group is vanishing again.

 

 Although I do have an important role, which was Linking, I'm not using it right now.

 

 By the way, the reason I'm not using Link right now is because I was concerned about the newcomer, Silky, to avoid having a conversation with her.

 

 I can easily Link with Silky now, but Linking without earning a favorable impression can be discomforting anf offesive to the cards....

 

 ".....Hmm? Hey, Eliza-san, it looks like we're approaching the enemies."

 

 Yuki, who had once again dropped her gaze to my phone, raised her head and looked at Eliza curiously.

 

"......Apologies, Master. It seems I have mistaken the left for the right.'

 

""Eh?""

 

 We were stunned by this line, which we had never expected to hear from Eliza throughout our lives.

 

"...... It seems that it was because of Dullahan's [Clumsy] skill. That's harsh, Eliza-senpai! Please don't blame others!"

 

"No, it's definitely your fault."

 

 When Renge tsked in annoyance, everyone nodded their heads in agreement.

 

 I never thought the day would come when Eliza would make the mistake of mixing up right and left .......[Clumsy] skill, so fearsome!

 

 It was a good thing we weren't in the middle of a battle, but I shuddered when I thought of her getting the [Clumsy] skill activated on the verge of victory and defeat......

 

 It might be better not to use Dullahan in a competitive battle, at least until the [Clumsy] skill is erased.

 

 When I was thinking about that...

 

"This means we need to get her to learn the [Maid] skill as soon as possible......"

 

"Nn~? Hey, hey auntie, why does Eliza's screw-up have anything to do with the [Maid] skill?"

 

 Silky's eyebrows twitched for a moment at Mea's auntie remark, but she had nothing special to say and answered the question,

 

"'My [Maid Master] skill also has the ability to negate the failings of other [Maid skill] holders, Master."

 

 However, perhaps irritated after all, Silky blatantly ignored Mea in the form of answering to me instead of Mea.

 

 What was it that a lady should not be easily disturbed by their emotions.....

 

"I- Is that so, I didn't see anything in the application about that."

 

"Firstly, one card with the [Maid Master] skill would not require calling in anyone else with the [Maid] skill, so I guess you didn't notice this before. Second, it is difficult to notice a fault that has never occurred. And those who possess [Maid Master] skill don't go out of their way to boast to the master about their feat."

 

"I- I see......"

 

 Certainly, it's difficult to notice something that hasn't occurred. In addition, if the one who counteracts the negative skill is the type of individual who does not boast of their own achievement, it will be absolutely impossible to notice it.

 

 I will report this new information about the [Maid master] skill to the Guild later. I might get some gratuities and social contribution points. It's not information I have to hide.

 

"The enemies are close now. It will be tough to defeat them with only Koshta Bawar, but what should we do, Master?"

 

 Yuki's question, "What should we do?" is probably about whether to fight or use her [Lord of The Territory] skill to drive the enemies away.

 

 Her current fighting power was 1600, which was at the growth limit; this was a fighting power that could chase away even D-rank monsters.

 

 I thought for a moment.

 

"Hmm, let's fight. I want to save up enough luck for a card drop in case of an emergency."

 

"Understood. Then please leave it to me."

 

"Do you need to Link?"

 

"No, it's all right."

 

 With that, Yuki landed off the carriage with a flutter.

 

Advancing ahead of us at the speed of the wind, I could hear her howling from ahead of us.

 

 It appeared that she has summoned her two subordinates, Shiro and Kuro.

 

 A few dozen seconds later, when the carriage caught up with them, the battle was already over and they were picking up the magic stones that had fallen to the ground.

 

 When Shiro and Kuro saw me in the carriage, they quietly got down on one knee and bowed their heads.

 

 Their appearance was that of ninjas in a Japanese historical drama, silently keeping their distance.

 

 I was amazed at how Yuki was able to train them so well......

 

 Impressed, I called up the status of Shiro and Kuro from Yuki's card to see how much they had grown.

 

 

 

 

[Race] Lycanthrope (Kuro)

[Combat Power] 800 (MAX!)

 

[Inborn skills]

When The Moon is Full, It Follows

Wolf Clothing

Awakening of Instinct

 

[Acquired skills]

Presence detection

Lord of the pack

Martial Arts

Elementary Ninjutsu (NEW!)

Obedience (RENTAL!)

 

 

 

 

[Race] Lycanthrope (Shiro)

Combat ] 800 (MAX!)

 

[Inborn skills]

When The Moon is Full, It Follows

Wolf Clothing

Awakening of Instinct

 

[Acquired skills]

Obedience → Loyalty (RENTAL!)

Presence detection

Martial Arts

Eye for character: The ability to see through a person's character to some extent. It is possible to somehow perceive the target's combat power, superficial personality, and emotions.

Elementary Ninjutsu (NEW!)

 

 

 

 

 ......Have you caught it?

 

 It wasn't about how they have grown their combat power to the max, or that they have learned [Elementary ninjutsu] skill as a result of continued ninjutsu lessons......

 

 I want you to look at the notations next to the skills of [Obedience] and [Loyalty].

 

 --Yes, these two individuals had the skills of [Obedience] and [Loyalty] instilled in them by Yuki!

 

 How terrifying.

 

 This stuff was a kind of brainwashing.

 

 [Loyalty] skill has the risk of disappearing if they continue to act in a way that disappoints the lord, but this rented [Loyalty] skill has no such risk at all.

 

 Because all you need to do is reapply the [Loyalty] skill each time.

 

"Umm....."

 

 As expected, this... should I warn Yuki a word of caution?

 

 No matter what, they are still her kin, a part of her, but she treats them too much like tools.

 

 In a way, it is more like a master who can easily discard their cards.

 

 But.......

 

"........................"

 

 I hesitated whether or not I should warn her about how to treat her subordinates, and in the end decided not to say anything.

 

 The way Yuki treated her subordinates might seem like they were tools, but it was also true that it was not wrong to use them because they were immortal beings.

 

 In a sense, the way the two subordinates were treated was like 'real shinobi/ninja'.

 

 Also, in terms of wolf packs, it would not be wrong to make the hierarchy something absolute and force them to swear allegiance.

 

 Additionally...... these two guys would disappear as soon as Yuki rank up.

 

 According to Renge, they won't disappear, they'll just 'return to the mother sea', but from our point of view, it will still be a farewell.

 

 Perhaps the best way to cope with it is to treat them as tools, as Yuki did, and not to let our emotions get the best of us.

 

 While making excuses to myself, I handed one pound cake each to Shiro and Kuro, and thanked them for their hard work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 The next day, early in the morning.

 

"Fuuuaa~............"

 

 I had finished my overnight dungeon raid and was walking in a deserted residential area just as the sun was rising.

 

 Looking at the yellow sun, I was deeply moved.

 

Hmmm, I can now conquer a D-rank dungeon in less than 24 hours. ...... I've grown up, haven't I?

 

 Or perhaps, rather than my growth, I should say that my group's capabilities have improved.

 

 This time, the dungeon boss was a centaur and his herd of unicorns and bicorns.

 

 The centaurs' mobility and accurate sniping with bow and arrow, along with the multiple support and interference of numerous unicorns and bicorns, made them a formidable foe that would surely be a tough nut to crack just a few short while ago. ......Eliza, equipped with Dullahan and Dáinsleif, and Renge, Yuki, and Nike, were the only ones to take part in the fight. The enemies were unable to do anything against the onslaught launched by them.

 

 The C-rank monsters, even though backed up by the dungeon, cannot possibly compete with these four B-rank fighting force. Suzuka, who had been standing by my side just in case, was watching with a yawn.

 

 The D-rank dungeon was no longer my group's match. Even if there were special gimmicks, I would be able to complete the dungeon by myself.

 

 However, when it came to whether I could conquer the C-rank dungeon by myself, I had to immediately answer that it was impossible.

 

 The dungeons up to the D-rank and the dungeons from the C-rank up were completely different.

 

 After capturing the Hound Master, my Teacher took me to the C-rank dungeon only once.

 

 I was forced to retreat after only twenty-three floors in there.

 

 I could not even reach the area after the 31st floor, where C-rank monsters appear.

 

 In order to be promoted to a four-star rating, I needed to go through the C-rank dungeon solo.

 

 The wall between the D-rank dungeon and the C-rank dungeon is the wall of power between me and my master.

 

 The thickness of the wall was so great that it was enough to break my pride which was beginning to make me think, "Maybe I've surpassed my Teacher," when I had acquired the Perfect Link.

 

 However, there was no need to be impatient.

 

 I am already growing at a faster pace than most people, both in terms of the strength of my cards and the ability of my Link.

 

 Rather, what I lack is experience and knowledge.

 

 If I continue to study steadily, there will surely come a day when I will be able to conquer a C-rank dungeon all by myself.

 

 However, by that time, my Teacher would probably have progressed even further.

 

"......Nn?"

 

 I noticed a familiar girl walking with her dog from across the street.

 

 She was a yankee-type girl with brown skin, a provocative body line, and short blonde hair... she had a hairstyle that looked a bit like a certain Android No. 181.

 

 She is the number two girl in my class, Ichijo-san.

 

 She was wearing an off-the-shoulder top and ripped jeans, and she had a slightly wobbly Shiba Inu with her. 

 

"Huh? Kitagawa, it's you. Good morning. You're looking a bit out of place, but are you headed to the dungeon this early?"

 

"Good morning, Ichijo-san. I'm on my way back from the dungeon. You're the one who's early."

 

I wonder if Ichijo-san lived around Takao...

 

 That was what I first thought of when I saw her. She answered with a yawn as she brushed her hair back.

 

 "Well yeah~, I have to take a walk while the asphalt isn't too hot in the summer. ......After all, this kid is getting old."

 

 Ichijo-san then looked down quietly at the brown-furred Shiba Inu by her side.

 

 The Shiba, although old, seemed to be in good health, and I could tell at a glance that it was being well taken care of. It seemed to trust Ichijo-san, and its tail was wagging as if it was having fun.

 

 I crouched down and made eye contact with the Shiba Inu.

 

"This one is a well-behaved fellow. So different from my stupid dog. What's its name?"

 

"Maro."

 

"Huh? What?"

 

"Yeah, it's Maro. That's his name."

 

"Eh, seriously?"

 

 I looked up involuntarily, and my eyes met those of Ichijo-san, who was grinning at me.

 

"His eyebrows look like those of a Heian aristocrat2, don't they? That's why it's Maro3."

 

"Oh, oo~h... I see......"

 

 Yeah, well, there can be such coincidences like that. Yeah, yeah.

 

"Maro, chin-chin4."

 

"Woof!"

 

"Stop it!"

 

 When I went off on Ichijo-san, who was making him perform vulgar tricks just for fun, she laughed and her large breasts bounced.

 

......Hmm, well, I can forgive her!

 

"Well, now that I think of it, Maro and Kitagawa are the same age, you know? That's hilarious."

 

"For real? Sixteen years old, huh? That's quite a long life."

 

"Maybe it's because I sometimes give him dog potions to keep him healthy. But, well, I guess it's about time..."

 

 Ichijo-san looked a little sad as she stroked Maro's (the dog's) face.

 

 Her expression suddenly started to look more like that of a girl's, and I felt strangely confused for some reason.

 

"...You know. About Shishido, thank you."

 

 Suddenly, Ichijo-san muttered.

 

"Somehow, it's like you avenged him, or something like that."

 

"Ah, no......"

 

 I didn't know what to say, but after a pause, 

 

"Ichijo-san, were you dating Shishido?"

 

 I was asking such a stupid question for some reason.

 

......What the hell are you asking, me? Are you an idiot? Stupid. If she really was, what do I say?

 

 As I regretted asking the worst possible question, Ichijo-san chuckled and answered,

 

"No way. I don't like the bossy type. I think my type is a man who can do what he wants. Also, a guy who would not be able to cheat on me even if he wanted to. If he has money, that's even better."

 

She's saying something similar to my mother.....

 

 I'm sure the guy who goes out with Ichijo-san is going to be a slave to her. Like my dad.

 

"Shishido was, how should I put it... he, was a former childhood friend."

 

"Former?"

 

I wonder if there is such a thing as former childhood friends.......

 

 I asked while tilting my head.

 

"I think I was in the fifth grade of elementary school~ We lived near each other until then, but he transferred to another school. So he used to live here.

 Aunt and Uncle got divorced. Uncle got involved in religion, and Aunt takes Shishido away.

 Then, I don't know what happened, but he had to go to Uncle's place again, and he transferred to my junior high school in the second year of junior high school. But Uncle had already married someone else at that point. He had a complicated family situation...... that made me go 'Haa' about it."

 

"I see……"

 

 A father who had lived apart from him for years and a new mother, huh? Such environment... not surprising that an adolescent boy would be a bit aggressive. It seemed like Shishido was going through a lot.

 

"By the way, the reason why Shishido was pestering Kitagawa so much was simply because he was jealous of you. That guy was in love with Kaede after all."

 

"Really!?"

 

 A shocking fact revealed posthumously! .......Or not really. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who likes Shinomiya-san.

 

"So, Shishido wanted to be in the same group as Kaede, but it didn't end up that way. And then, Kitagawa and Kaede became friends, right? And so, he acted like that."

 

"I see..."

 

"Well, his entire approach was so counterproductive to Kaede that it made me laugh. Kaede hates people who try to pull other people's leg to get to the top. It's like he was running on a wheel. You know, it's kind of cute when you think about it that way, isn't it? Like a hamster."

 

 A hamster? ....... I had to chuckle at the grinning Ichijo-san.

 

"That guy, he also recognized Kitagawa you know. If not, he wouldn't have decided to be an adventurer. It was obvious that he was very conscious of you. Basically, he doesn't tolerate people of lower rank on top of him."

 

 I also remembered Minamiyama.

 

 The reason I originally wanted to become an adventurer was because I was jealous of and admired Minamiyama, who was also a mob character but had made it into the top caste group by becoming an adventurer.

 

I see... taking the same path as an opponent because you recognized them, huh?

 

 Ichijo-san stood up and stretched.

 

"Well, something like that. Sorry to bother you despite the heat. I wanted Kitagawa to know about him. It's kind of...... lonely to leave it like that, isn't it?"

 

......She's quite a nice, compassionate woman. She resembles Mama-san a little bit.

 

 Renge, who had been quietly watching over the situation until then, whispered to me.

 

True...... she looked a little like my mom.

 

 Then Ichijo-san clapped her hands as if she remembered something,

 

"Ah, that's right. I just had something I wanted to ask Kitagawa."

 

"Me?"

 

"Yeah. .....Does Kitagawa do card rentals for your unused cards?"

 

"Renting cards?"

 

 I widened my eyes at the unexpected question.

 

"You know, they say that university adventurers' clubs rent cards to new members. Kitagawa was also trying to start an adventurer's club, right? I was wondering if you also do that kind of thing."

 

"No, I don't do that at the moment, but......"

 

"Can you do that for me? For now, I can deposit 500,000 yen as collateral. I thought, the rental fee would be about 50,000 a month?"

 

 Ichijo-san's face looked serious as she said this.

 

 To be honest, I have plenty of D-rank cards collecting dust, so there is no problem with renting them out......

 

"Do you mean you want to be an adventurer? After all that happened?"

 

"Kitagawa caught the culprit, no? Then, on the contrary, it's safe. And no copycats or other problems have arisen."

 

"Yes, but... I am wondering what your motive is."

 

 A childhood friend of the deceased Shishido wanted to be an adventurer... it raised a bit of a concern.

 

 I'm worried that she might have a crazy idea.

 

"Ah~, uh~"

 

 When I asked her, Ichijo-san blushed and wriggled as if troubled.

 

 This was an unusual attitude for her.

 

 After a while, she ruffled her hair wildly and then poked me lightly in the chest with her fist.

 

"... I admire you. Don't make me say it again, it's embarrassing."

 

 --That's right, she said it with her face still red.

 

***

 


Notes:

Android 18 is a fictional character in the Dragon Ball created by Akira Toriyama (RIP).

The Heian aristocrat have rounded shaped eyebrows

Maro-sama seems to be a famous Heian aristocrat. Didn’t really find anything on the history.

Cough, cough, it means pen*s

 



Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon!

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

 

Support Me