Chapter 20
An Inconspicuous
Power-Up
My civilization level steadily continues to rise.
Even though it's a large shared room in a simple lodging, being able to
wake up on a bed is happiness. I run the washing machine while I take a shower
after waking up, and I go to the beef bowl shop while the dryer is running.
Although it might seem like nothing special, this is a wonderfully civilized
and happy life.
Until just the other day, I was sleeping rough in a park, drinking water
until my stomach was full while washing my face at a drinking fountain, and
wiping my body with a wet shirt hidden from prying eyes. Furthermore, I
hand-washed my clothes, wrung them out tightly, and wore them exactly like
that. These kinds of things are reckless feats only possible because it's
summer. I had spent a few days like that.
It's truly awful. Let alone a sixteen-year-old girl, it's impossible for
a modern Japanese person. What is wrong with the world. But finally, luck has
turned my way too.
A place to sleep with a roof, a belly full of food, a bath, and a change
of clothes. And a decent income! It doesn't even compare to when I had lost my
place to go and had nowhere to turn to. You never know how your life will turn
out just from one little trigger. I'll do my best to become even richer just
like this!
With renewed spirit, today marks the start of my labor once again.
Taking the advice of the receptionist ossan and Onee-san, I
decided to go on an expedition to a different location today instead of the
usual Higashi-Nakano Dungeon.
Riding the train in my tacky jersey, I arrived at Saginomiya in
about twenty minutes. I really wanted to try using a taxi, but I couldn't bring
myself to pay a taxi fare many times the amount of the train fare when I could
get there for just a few hundred yen. The moment I started thinking about this,
I realized I still don't have the qualifications to use Mr. Taxi. I have to
earn more.
While walking and absentmindedly imagining a rosy future, I arrived at
the Dungeon Administration in no time. Unintimidated, I entered the
building and headed for my first reception here. As expected of the depopulated
Dungeon Onee-san recommended. Perhaps because it's still early in
the morning, there is absolutely no one here.
「'Sup.」
The middle-aged woman at the reception desk, who seemed like she used to
be beautiful when she was young, paid no mind to my cheerful greeting. She's
completely engrossed in her smartphone and hasn't even noticed. There's no one
else here, and she must be exceedingly bored. Shall I give her a good scare? I
took a deep breath, and...
「HEY!」 「Hyaaaaaah!」
The middle-aged woman jumped out of her chair in surprise. Such an
exaggeration.
「Hello,
hello. I came to explore the Dungeon. Here's my ID card, thanks.」
「E-Excuse me.
I will check it.」
「It's my
first time here, so please give me a map of the upper layers too. Thanks.」
I smoothly finished the reception procedures and entered the Dungeon
for the first time, feeling slightly nervous. As usual, I activated the 『Solo Dungeon』 skill.
There was originally no one around anyway, but I should have entered a Dungeon
exclusive to me. I eagerly changed into my magic academy look, equipped my
armaments, and descended the long stairs.
Unlike the Higashi-Nakano Dungeon which felt like a spacious
cave, the Saginomiya Dungeon had an artificial stone-built style, and
despite the high ceiling, the width of the passages was narrow. Even for me,
who is slightly more petite than average, I can just barely reach the walls if
I stretch both arms out to the sides. It would probably be difficult to fight
using long weapons. On that point, my means of attack are a small hammer and
kicks with my boots, so I hardly feel any anxiety. Piece of cake.
「Whew~, let's
go on a little rampage.」
My plan for today is to greedily visit three Dungeons and
scavenge all the hidden rooms up to the Third Floor of each. I will
complete the reckless feat of scavenging tons of treasures from the hidden
rooms of solo Dungeons in just today alone. Even if I don't finish, I
approach this with high motivation. In order to become rich!
All the items in the hidden rooms are mine. In order to conquer three Dungeons,
I will keep monster extermination during transit to an absolute minimum.
Especially now that I can earn like crazy on the Third Floor, I have
absolutely no intention of collecting magic stones on the floors above that. In
fact, I actually want to earn efficiently on slightly deeper floors. Because I
don't feel any danger to my life on the Third Floor yet, you see.
That being said, my self as a Dungeon Hunter is still incredibly
inexperienced. Onee-san had told me that gaining experience in the upper
layers of a new Dungeon would surely be a good thing. I think she's
right about that.
「Ugh, what a
nasty monster.」
Unlike the powerless pill bugs in the Higashi-Nakano Dungeon, on
the First Floor of the Saginomiya Dungeon, there are grasshopper
monsters that repeatedly charge while hopping and jumping around. If I take one
of those body slams, it might actually hurt a bit. Also, giant grasshoppers are
simply gross.
「Oryaaa! Yup,
they're gross but weak.」
I really want to just avoid fighting and proceed, but the passages are
narrow so that's difficult. Reluctantly, I proceeded while smacking them with
my hammer. It's fine because they turn into particles of light and disappear
when defeated, but if they didn't, I think being a Hunter would have
been impossible for me. Tiny bugs might be one thing, but these monsters are
far too big.
If I proceed straight ahead while looking at the map, it doesn't take
much time. I'm glad I'm a girl who can read maps perfectly. And right away, I
got my first treasure.
Opening the hidden door is no problem. I've already done my research on
this with Onee-san so there are no blind spots, and apparently, the way
to open hidden doors in the upper layers is mostly the same everywhere anyway.
Hahahaha, piece of cake, piece of cake! Or so I thought, but I discovered a
strange treasure.
「Wh-what is
this.」
The items I got in the hidden rooms of the Higashi-Nakano Dungeon
were equipment like the hammer and boots. I've cherished and used all of them
since I got them. But the treasure right in front of me now wasn't equipment,
but something that actually looked exactly like treasure.
Lumps of metal about the size of a palm were piled up in a mountain of
about ten. When I picked one up, a heavy weight befitting metal settled heavily
in my hand. Perhaps because it's not equipment, it didn't have the red
hollyhock leaf mark indicating it was exclusive to me. I might be able to sell
this.
This is probably treasure that can be sold. Yay.
「Ooh, how
pretty.」
Judging from the color I think it's copper, but I'm looking forward to
seeing how much it will sell for.
Like that, I collected all the treasures up to the Third Floor
and returned to the First Floor. Before exiting the Dungeon, I
checked my spoils of war with my appraisal monocle.
■ Copper Ingot: A lump of copper metal. ■ Potion: Heals
wounds when ingested.
「Mmm, I don't
get the fine details. The Potion seems good, but I wonder how much of an injury
it can heal.」
It's appreciated to have insurance for when I get injured, but if I
don't know the effect, it's unreliable. I wonder if Onee-san would know.
This doesn't have the red hollyhock mark on it either. The lumps of metal were
copper as expected. I got these twice. I have high expectations for them
selling for a high price! And then, next is the equipment.
■ Necklace of the Dark Clock: Spirit Augmentation. A bolo tie
that augments poison attacks. ■ Bracelet of the Sun: Vitality
Augmentation. An armlet that shines light.
For now, I'll try equipping both.
The necklace is an accessory like a string tie. The metal fitting part
that gathers the strings at the neck is designed like a retro clock, which is
cool. It matches my magic academy look outfit, and I've already taken a liking
to it. Its effect also strengthens poison attacks, so it matches my skills as
well. Come to think of it, I was planning to buy a watch. As expected, it seems
the necklace doesn't function as a normal clock.
As for the bracelet, it feels better to equip it on my upper arm rather
than my wrist. There was no problem equipping it even over the magic academy
look. As for its effect, when I equip it and turn the function on, a quite wide
area around me becomes bright. In a dim Dungeon, this might be
inconspicuously convenient.
I seem to have powered up without a hitch, but one of my goals this time
was to get equipment I won't use. It's a waste to give these two away.
Alright, let's quickly head to the next Dungeon. This is crazy.
At this rate, I'll keep getting stronger and stronger, and earn money on top of
that. Mr. 『Solo Dungeon』, you're far
too amazing.
Aalright, I'm going to collect items like crazy!
-----
Thank you for my Patrons !!
[Platinum]
-
[Gold]
B random
Nepheos
[Silver]
Corey Hicks
Creris
Frédéric Bertrand-Hudon
Jake Seagraves
Matthew Fraser
Tbaum56
Baelee
Christopher Feliciano
Ctdela
Curious Panda
nick nasca
SD Fox
Taylor King
Z
Read Advanced Chapters only on my Patreon
-----