Monday, November 6, 2023

Can a Mob Highschooler be a Normie: Chapter 35

 

Mob Kousei No Ore Demo Boukensha Ni Nareba Riajuu Ni Naremasuka: Chapter #35

Translators: Nyx and Ririi Rain

 

 

 

Episode 35: The Case Inside The Dungeon

 

 


"——The application for the Adventurers' Club has been rejected."

 

 That was the first thing the Student Council President said to Anna and I when we visited the student council office after school.

 

 The prodigy, who was rumored to have the highest grades and a deviation score of over 75, was looking at us with indifferent eyes through thick lenses.

 

 We stiffened at the sudden and merciless words of the Student Council President, but then Anna recovered first and rushed at him aggressively.

 

"Hey, what's the meaning of this? We've already found enough members and an advisor!"

 

"How do I know? Please ask the school about that. The student council just checks if the application form is filled out correctly before sending it to the top."

 

 The Student Council President brushed off Anna's complaint as if it was nothing. The Student Council President's attitude, as if he was only a middleman, was enough to make even her feel cheated.

 

"...Does that mean the school went out of its way to turn us down? Normally, the school would just accept any club that wants to apply, right?"

 

"Well, that's right. Unless it's something really weird like a je*Off research club or a gambling club."

 

 The Student Council President gave an example of a club with a name that sounds extremely crazy, which was actually applied for once and was rejected.

 

"...So you're saying that our Adventurer's Club is considered the same as the je,  je*Off research club and gambling club?"

 

 The Student Council President simply nodded to Anna who asked this question in a low voice, a little embarrassed.

 

"Or perhaps, even below that."

 

"By below, do you mean below the ...... je*Off research club? The Adventurers' Club?"

 

"Yes, because in the end, people don't die from sexual pleasure. Well, I guess it depends on how they do it......"

 

"Um...... could you please stop saying naughty words......?"

 

 Anna blushed as she listened to the exchange between me and the Student Council President. The Student Council President gave her a sneer.

 

“From my point of view, as the student council president with a deviation score of 75, the adventurer club is no different from je*Off research club. It seems that you who don't seem to have a deviation of 50 could not understand it."

 

"Of course I grasped your words properly. Even though I look like this, my deviation score is 50."

 

"Uh, I understood it too...? My deviation score is 42, though..."

 

""42?!""

 

 I unintentionally harmonized with the Student Council President.

 

 That's strange...? Our high school has a deviation score line of 50.

 

"...I'm amazed you got into our high school."

 

"Because this is a private school and I am the daughter of a company president."

 

 The casual conversation brought out an unbelievable dark truth.

 

"...I'll pretend I didn't hear that. I'm the student body president, you see. ...... Anyway, no matter how much of a bourgeoisie you are, this decision cannot be overturned."

 

"Why is that?"

 

 In response to my question, the Student Council President lifted his glasses, which were rumored to be fake glasses, in an intellectual manner, and answered.

 

From what I, the student council president with a deviation score of 75, observed,......, it seems that the school is not amused by the increase in the number of adventurers on campus. They think that the establishment of an adventurers' club will further encourage the increase."

 

"I see."

 

 Certainly, from the school's point of view, it would be a bad thing for them to have students become adventurers.

 

 If a student dies in the dungeon, not only will a student die, but his or her guardians may hold the school accountable.

 

 Of course, adventurers are responsible for their own injuries and deaths, but there are always monster parents everywhere.

 

 Parents who buy their children luxury items such as cards are especially likely to do so.

 

 In such a situation, our move to create an Adventurers' Club will not be welcomed.

 

"Therefore, the establishment of the Adventurers' Club has been rejected. Please take your leave."

 

 The Student Council President, who had always had a steely face from start to finish, put on a sales smile at the end and said that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ah, geez! Why are adults so uptight?"

 

 Anna howled on the way back home, her arms raised to the sky.

 

"Well, I'm more concerned about schools that easily approve club activities that put lives in danger."

 

 I nodded, knowing that Oribe's words had a point.

 

 After that, we went to the staff room to talk to the Vice Principal, the Principal, the Director, and many others, but naturally, the results were not good.

 

 Although some of the teachers were favorable, they were not involved in the management of the school, and those who were more or less involved in the management of the school brushed us off.

 

 Hiyori-chan was not able to do anything when her superiors were against it, and the Vice Principal even sniped at her, saying, "You are very motivated to be the advisor of this new club, huh?" causing her to bow down and pretend that the advisor position had never been offered to her.

 

 In this situation, it would be impossible to create the Adventurers' Club.

 

 Even if we were to try to establish the club under a different name, the school would be wary of us, and would reject the idea.

 

 Thus, instead of starting an Adventurers' Club, we were worse off than we had been at the start.

 

"Well...... they didn't exactly tell us to stop being adventurers, so that's fine, isn't it?"

 

"Hmm, the true purpose is to build up a force to survive the apocalypse, right? There's no need to stick to the form of a school club."

 

 Anna countered my and Oribe's words with puffed-out cheeks,

 

"It's only good when it's a school club! It's about romance, you know! Romance!"

 

 When I met Oribe's eyes, we exchanged a wry smile, thinking that this girl was so obsessed with the idea.

 

 Well, I can understand the feeling.

 

 

"But the reality is, there's nothing we can do about it.  The school says it's no good."

 

"Hmmm, is there any way......?"

 

 I began to have a light chat with Oribe while Anna, who never gave up, crossed her arms and furrowed her brows.

 

"Ah, by the way, how long have you been an adventurer, Oribe?”

 

"I've been an adventurer since the first grade of junior high school. Almost at the same time as Anna. ...Although the difference in our starting possessions widened our gaps."

 

"I see,...... So what's in your hands?"

 

"Huhu, recently I finally got one C-rank card that I wanted, and I have a few pretty good D-rank cards. You can look forward to see them yourself."

 

 Oribe grinned. I replied that I will look forward to it. Then I decided to ask her what I was most curious about,

 

"...... Speaking of which, can you use 'that'?"

 

"By 'that', do you mean the Link?"

 

"Yeah, yeah. So you do actually know about it?"

 

 Oribe laughed at my words.

 

"Well, I have hardly done it in the past three years. I can use a little bit of telepathy, though."

 

"Umm.... How did Oribe know about the Link?"

 

 I asked her, hesitating whether I should ask.

 

 ...After the tournament, I immediately began to do my own research on the Link.

 

 However, no matter how much I searched the Internet and books, I was unable to find out what it was, other than occasional rumors of such a technique.

 

 Even in the video of the final match broadcast on Christmas Day, Shigeno-san's commentary on the Link was cut and edited.

 

 In other words, the Link was kept secret by the government.

 

 The reason for this is, well, I can guess.......

 

 Looking back, I think that Shigeno-san's slip about the Link in the final match may have been his expression of cheering for the competitors.

 

 Otherwise, he would not have mentioned the Link technique, which was not generally known to the public, in front of such a large audience.

 

 Perhaps Shigeno-san was also scolded by the guild after that......

 

 I saw him at the guild the other day and he seemed to be doing well, so I guess he was not fired.

 

 In my case, I was able to find a mentor and learn about the Link, but I was curious to know how other adventurers learned about Link.

 

 It is, however, a technique that was generally kept a secret. Asking about it might be inadvisable.

 

 So I was afraid to ask, but Oribe answered readily.

 

"In my case, I got to know from Anna. Anna learned it from a professional adventurer that her family sponsored."

 

"Oh, I see......"

 

 I was convinced from the bottom of my heart. Such were connections.

 

 Come to think of it, Anna was the daughter of Dungeon Mart's owner, the young lady behind the 'Grand Sponsor'. Of course she must have connections with a professional or two.

 

 It made sense that Oribe had learned the Link through her connections.

 

 But then a question arose: why didn't Anna use the Link in the match with me? ...... Maybe she couldn't use the Link at that time?

 

 And just at that moment, I got a ring on my phone.

 

 I looked and saw that it seemed to be a PR email from the guild. Oribe was also looking at the phone.

 

 The content seemed to be a quest to... search for a missing person.

 

 The guild occasionally sent out requests to adventurers in the form of quests.

 

 For example, they may ask you to deliver potions to a hospital because they are running low on potions.

 

 Or, an irregular encounter has been confirmed in an F-rank dungeon, and the adventurers are asked to take it down.

 

 Or, a request to obtain information on a crime in a dungeon.

 

 Such requests were announced to adventurers by e-mail or posted on the guild's notice board.

 

 I had never taken on a request before, but I heard that some professional and semi-professional adventurers were sometimes asked by guild officials to take on a specific request.

 

 Basically, guild requests were a kind of social contribution, and although they were not financially rewarding, they did add a bit of extra prestige to one's license.

 

 Adventurers who completed many quests were awarded by the city or country, and sometimes even appeared on the news, so some adventurers took on quests for that purpose.

 

 This time, the request was to search for an adventurer who had been missing in an F-rank dungeon for several days. However, it doesn't stipulate to rescue the adventurer via the adventurer's license.

 

"Missing for a few days in a shallow F-rank dungeon, huh?"

 

 Oribe muttered quietly with an indescribable look on her face. I probably had the same look on my face.

 

 The quest might be a search for a missing person, but this was definitely a quest to search for the person's belongings and determine the cause of death.

 

 The fact that they had not returned after several days from an F-rank dungeon, which can be completed in a day, indicated that they were in a state where they could not move around by themselves. In addition, if they cannot even send a request for rescue, what flashes in the mind would be the spatial quarantine due to irregular encounters ...... and the cost involved.

 

 If I had made a mistake at 'that time' before, I might have been treated as a missing person as well.......

 

 I was in a somber mood.

 

"——Strange."

 

 Oribe mumbled in a small voice.

 

"What do you mean by strange?"

 

"No... I was just curious, so I checked back through the recent quest e-mails and found that there have been too many people missing. And that was only in the F-rank dungeon."

 

 After hearing that, I took a look at my emails and soon noticed that the number of missing persons had been increasing rapidly over the past few months.

 

"Indeed, this amount of missing people is a little strange."

 

'Right? The most likely situation in which a person would be missing in an F-rank dungeon without even being able to send a rescue request would be an irregular encounter, but if that were the case, this number would be too large. Moreover, the victims are missing in almost all the different dungeons. If such a large number of irregular encounters were to occur, it would surely become a hot topic of conversation. Despite this, I have never heard anything about such an occurrence."

 

“…If it’s not the work of irregular encounters, then what exactly is it?”

 

"————It smells like a case."

 

"Uoh?!"

 

 When Anna suddenly intruded, it made me jump.

 

“Senpai, this is a case, you know. A case.”

 

"By 'case' do you mean a ...... crime?"

 

"If something that could not happen naturally is happening, then the cause is external,......, which means that this must be a serial murder case using the dungeons!"

 

 Anna said, pointing at me with a sharp determination.

 

"Hmmm, murder case, huh?"

 

 I had heard that there were people who took advantage of the unique circumstances inside the dungeon to commit crimes.

 

 It was said that Japan was one of the few countries in the world where crimes related to dungeons were rare, and since I had never encountered such people before, I don't really have a clear sense of it.

 

 Especially in developing countries where access to the dungeons was not as strict as in Japan. I heard that in some parts of South America, the dungeons had become a den of criminals.

 

 But .......

 

"Suppose that's true, but then so what?"

 

 The thought that a serial murder was taking place inside the dungeons gave me the chills, but there was nothing we could do about it. I would even refrain from going to those dungeons.

 

 Anna replied to me with a righteous look in her eyes,

 

"Isn't it it's obvious? We are going to solve this case through our Adventurers' Club!, of course"

 

"Haah?!"

 

 What is she saying?

 

 I looked at Anna in disbelief.

 

"Why did you decide that?!"

 

"There is a high possibility that it is what is happening inside the dungeons! What's more, it's a despicable crime that targets only low-ranked adventurers! I can't forgive them for that! Besides, if we solve this case, I'm sure those adults will recognize our Adventurers' Club!"

 

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no."

 

 Is this person for real? No matter how much you aspire after novels and manga, there are always limits!

 

 

"You... we're just high school kids. Solving a murder case? Like that's possible. That's the job of the police."

 

"The police are unreliable, so I say let's solve it ourselves! If the dungeon is not closed off or covered by the news media, doesn't that mean the police aren't even aware of the case yet?"

 

"Uuh..."

 

 Certainly, it was unnatural that there was no real stirring within the public when there were so many missing people. Even amateurs like me and Oribe noticed it, so there was no way the adults wouldn't have noticed it.

 

 However.......

 

"How should I put it... Isn't the assumption that this is a crime is questionable in the first place?"

 

"Why is that?"

 

"Because, you know, there is a proper entry gate to the dungeons, right? If they check the entry/exit records, they can easily identify a suspect."

 

 The dungeon's entry and exit logs were linked to the adventurer's license and were recorded at the gate. By tracing that data, the culprit should be immediately identifiable.

 

 The fact that the culprit had not been caught yet means that there was no one who entered the dungeons at the same time as the victims, or that their innocence had been confirmed.

 

"Oh, you- you're right...... ah yeah! Fake license! They're using things like fake licenses and things stolen from other people to get in and out! Or maybe there's a method that we can't even imagine!"

 

"Even if a fake license was used, the surveillance cameras at the Dungeon Mart should be able to identify them."

 

 Oribe immediately countered Anna's words.

 

 She was right. Even if the license was forged, there were security cameras inside the Dungeon Mart. If you look at the footage, it should be easy to trace the culprit.

 

 

"So it may not actually be a crime in the first place, and even if it was a crime, they would probably catch whoever did it right away. Even if it they use unimaginable means to get around the investigation, it would be out of our hands. We can't do anything about it. We are just high school students."

 

"Uu......"

 

 After being completely beaten down by both me and Oribe, Anna had no choice but to groan with tears in her eyes.

 

 ...... Well, if it's not a crime, then the question remains: why is there this unusual number of missing people?

 

 Well, I'm sure the guild or the police will solve that.

 

"But, but, but! What if there is a criminal who can tamper with the surveillance cameras and gate records? We are all going to dungeons, and tomorrow could be our turn to be missing, you know?"

 

 You are still insisting......?

 

"What kind of culprit would be able to cheat the gate to the dungeons and the surveillance cameras at the Dungeon Mart? Hmm, if it's just the Dungeon Mart......"

 

"N- no way......!"

 

 We looked at Anna with wide eyes.

 

 The only daughter of a certain company that can easily tamper with the data from surveillance cameras and control access to the dungeon was now standing next to us.......

 

“…………………………Huh!? M- me!?”

 

"Wha, what on earth were you planning? Sending us on a hunt for the culprit, is it......?"

 

"Hah, no way, us..... too?"

 

 Anna, who had received our fearful glances, was seriously flustered.

 

"N- n- n- no, it's not.....!"

 

 Seeing her pathetic appearance, we decided to stop giving her skeptical looks.

 

 Using common sense, I don't see the benefit of the Dungeon Mart doing such a thing.

 

 This was because there was obviously no good equation between the profit to be gained by attacking new adventurers in the dungeon and what the Dungeon Mart would lose if it was found out.

 

 Well, after this much hammering, I'm sure Anna won't say anything about looking for the culprit anymore.

 

 It would be too dangerous to try to catch a murderer.

 

 ...However, whether it was a crime or not, there's no doubt that something was happening in the dungeon.

 

 In the extreme, as long as there is no damage to me or anyone I know, that's all that matters.......

 

 I guess I'll at least warn that guy Ono.

 

"Hey! Are you listening to me? It's really not meee!"

 

"...Will you please not touch me with your bloodstainted hands?"

 

"Hah?!"

 

 Even when I was making fun of Anna along with Oribe, a lump of anxiety remained in my chest.

 

 

 

 

[Tips] Quests

 

 The guild mediates requests brought in by the private sector and companies to adventurers in the form of quests.

 

 The content of the quests varies from delivering magic items and cards to defeating irregular encounters, rescuing people in distress, searching for missing people, etc., but the rewards are not very high.

 

 Basically, there is a strong element of social contribution, and those who have completed a large number of urgent requests, such as rescuing people in distress or dealing with irregular encounters, may receive commendations from the prefecture or the national government.

 

 There is also a theory that taking on a large number of quests gives one an advantage in finding a job, and it is said that there are a certain number of student adventurers who devote themselves to quests.

 

***

 

Previous chapter | Novel page | Next chapter

Help us out and get Advanced Chapters on our Patreon! (Psst, go and check out the FREE trial on the first tier!)

Or you can keep our spirit up by buying us Coffee (人ゝω・)

 

 

 

 

Support Me